Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does Hermione's frizzy hair ever come up as a plot point in Harry Potter or was the mention of it just pandering to frizzies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I'm going to have to disagree currently, but I understand the point of getting other characters besides a white straight male as the protagonist and everyone being assumed to be white/male.

To me a character being straight or gay doesn't matter until something like a love interest is thrown in, because then that aspect of the character matters and does something to the story.

I'm a strong proponent of the Chekov's gun trope, and I'm not going to refuse to read books with gay characters in it but like Larry says it screams lazy writing.

EDIT: My recollection is that the frizzy hair was to emphasize that Hermione was an ugly duckling who transforms into someone really hot during the Goblet of Fire when going out with Krum.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 17, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the problem is when one character is queer, and their queerness is their character, or a majority of it. it comes off as "welll, i don't really know any gay people but i don't want to write a 100% straight story, so i'll just say john is gay and occasionally he leaves the group to hit on dudes. but nobody else who's a named character is gay, except maybe there's a lesbian princess because that's hot"

there's a big difference between queer representation being an integrated part of the work, with their orientation treated like hermione's frizzy hair - i.e. a detail in a description of a whole person - and the kind i described above, which channels the 90s ultranerd exoticization of queerness

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I can agree with you when you put it like that, maybe throwing in "irrelevant" side details (like being gay) do make a whole person and does flesh out the character to make them more "alive" inside the story.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

he's saying its bad when its the literary equivalent of those games that have romance options that are just always available to the player no matter what, so its not actually part of their character, its just there to make the Product available to as many people as possible. its not like books or even webnovels are immune to this kind of cancerous liberal capitalist thinking where representation is a checkbox thats there because we all know all gay people will consume any product with a gay person, therefor we need a token gay character in every product who's only there to be gay.

As an aside, this right here is stupid as poo poo.

For an example of why this poo poo is stupid as poo poo, replace every mention of gay with black. Why is there an expectation, usually from straight people, that if there is a queer character, that part of their character must always be front and center?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sampatrick posted:

As an aside, this right here is stupid as poo poo.

For an example of why this poo poo is stupid as poo poo, replace every mention of gay with black. Why is there an expectation, usually from straight people, that if there is a queer character, that part of their character must always be front and center?

the kind of trash novels I read usually dont mention skin color at all, but unfortunately when they do, it's to illustrate them as Different. Sometimes it's in a racist way (lots of trash genre fiction has the bad guy be some flavor of non white, or in a rare but still racist reversal, they're the only white character). othertimes it's just one or two characters that get skin color described and you're left wondering why, exactly, it came up. anyway we were talking about queer characters that are queer just so you can say that theres a queer character in it, and that particular situation wouldn't change if it was having a random black character just to say you have a black character.

Jazerus posted:

the problem is when one character is queer, and their queerness is their character, or a majority of it. it comes off as "welll, i don't really know any gay people but i don't want to write a 100% straight story, so i'll just say john is gay and occasionally he leaves the group to hit on dudes. but nobody else who's a named character is gay, except maybe there's a lesbian princess because that's hot"

there's a big difference between queer representation being an integrated part of the work, with their orientation treated like hermione's frizzy hair - i.e. a detail in a description of a whole person - and the kind i described above, which channels the 90s ultranerd exoticization of queerness

this is basically what I'm trying to say but smarter

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Argue posted:

Does Hermione's frizzy hair ever come up as a plot point in Harry Potter or was the mention of it just pandering to frizzies

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 posted:

Make sure to stay on your toes these next few days. The early days are key—everything anyone says is going to be a clue to events that will come up later. In fact, make a list. Here," Milo said, passing Harry a sheet of parchment and a quill from his belt. "write down everyone you've met who could be described with more than two adjectives, everything anyone said in a quiet voice that was cut off before they could finish, and every named character you've been introduced to, okay? It will be relevant. There may be an exam on it later, and it will probably be pass-or-die. Have you started gathering your party together yet?"

"My—my party?" Harry asked, while he started writing down a list of names.

"Oh, you know, a quirky bunch of allies. Friends to help you through dangerous times and adventures, that kind of thing."

"I—I can't say that I have."

"Okay. The next two to three people you meet will stick with you for life—unless they're future recurring villains, of course."

The door to the compartment slid open, and a lanky (one), red-headed (two) boy came in.

"Anyone sitting here?" he asked, pointing to the seat next to Milo. "Everywhere else is full."

The boy had a black mark on his nose (three! We have a winner) and seemed to be glancing nervously at Harry.

"Hey, Ron," Harry said.

Four glowing white lights appeared in front of his hands, then flew around the compartment briefly, as the compartment door slid open again.

"Neville said, and of course I didn't believe him, that someone in this compartment could perform magic without a wand," a girl said, then gasped as she saw the lights. She had a bossy sort of voice (one), lots of bushy brown hair (two)…

"And the buck teeth make a winner!" Milo shouted happily and dismissed the spell. "Come in! Who are you?"

"Hasn't anyone ever told you it's rude to comment on other people's appearance?" she asked angrily.

"What? Oh, I'm sorry. Where I'm from it's actually a compliment," he said.

"What, really?" she asked disbelievingly.

"Yeah. Dumping Charisma is a sign of great wisdom and foresight." Milo blushed slightly. He wasn't sure what he'd been thinking, all those years ago, when he'd decided his Charisma should be two points higher than his Constitution. Stupid, stupid, stupid, and now he was stuck with it.

The girl frowned, trying to figure out if she'd been insulted or not.

"Well, I'm Hermione Granger. I've tried a few simple spells for practice and it's all worked for me, but never without my wand. How did you do that?" she asked, sitting down next to Harry. Milo made frantic gestures to Harry to write her name down on the growing list.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You all keep saying "they're gay just to check a box" but the box being checked is "because gay people exist". That box being checked isn't a bad thing, it's representation. The bad part is that people assume straight as a default when they shouldn't be assigning a default in the first place.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: Erin gets owned, repeatedly.

Also Maughin, Moore, and Jelaqua are a relentless source of :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

also TWI non-patreon: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

why is this character a woman? she doesn't even give birth???????

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

why is this character a woman? she doesn't even give birth???????

i remember when satire used to require exaggeration :smith:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just blasted through all 30 chapters of https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26294/he-who-fights-with-monsters

It is pretty great. Not the most sensible decision making going on, but it is so fun I don’t really care.

Anomalous Blowout posted:

In unrelated-to-my-serial news, does anyone have any recs for completed serials that would be fun for a teenage girl? She’s read most of the big popular serials and prefers magic/mysteries to superheroes but also prefers contemporary fantasy over second-world fantasy. It’s for my seventeen-year-old niece so I’d feel extremely weird sending her something with a bunch of sex in it. I figured I’d ask here because my reading tastes are very different to hers, heh.

Been awhile but Threadbare is pretty fantastic. It is about a teddybear that goes on an adventure to rescue his girl/owner.

Story is mostly lighthearted with amusing pun enemies. You can find it on RoyalRoad. I think there’s even a published version.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

LLSix posted:

I just blasted through all 30 chapters of https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26294/he-who-fights-with-monsters

It is pretty great. Not the most sensible decision making going on, but it is so fun I don’t really care.
"Was the world you were summoned from this village?"

Threadbare's onto a third story now, a prequel following a player before whatever happened.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

LLSix posted:

Been awhile but Threadbare is pretty fantastic. It is about a teddybear that goes on an adventure to rescue his girl/owner.

Story is mostly lighthearted with amusing pun enemies. You can find it on RoyalRoad. I think there’s even a published version.

Well, a biased source (the author), has pointed out that the MC in "He Who Fights With Monsters" has taken repeatedly blows to the head, so expecting sensible decisions is wrong.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"Was the world you were summoned from this village?"

that line was incredible, I'm really enjoying this story

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Maguoob posted:

Well, a biased source (the author), has pointed out that the MC in "He Who Fights With Monsters" has taken repeatedly blows to the head, so expecting sensible decisions is wrong.
I really enjoyed the writing and humor of this one, I just wish there was more.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bhodi posted:

I really enjoyed the writing and humor of this one, I just wish there was more.

Author posts 5 days a week M-F. Even with "short" 2.5k chapters, that's a lot of words.

I wish there was more too!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm catching up with PracGuide, and I'm genuinely uncertain what's going to happen with Akua. It seems inevitable that she'll at least attempt some sort of betrayal, though there's a possibility that she'll end up choosing to not "complete" it. Narratively speaking, I feel like it would be best for her not to pull a full betrayal, since it would be a kind of depressing conclusion to her whole subplot. Aisha is almost certainly correct that Akua is still working towards some future betrayal, but it's not impossible that Catherine could be correct that, when it comes down to it, she (Akua) won't be willing to throw away what she's gained. While Sahelians and highborne have a long history of pulling long con uber-betrayals, Akua's experiences have been deeply outside of what past Praesi highborne would have experienced.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

that line was incredible, I'm really enjoying this story

Same, this is one of those really dumb but fun stories that I love, lots of humor but in a serious setting.

Put me in the boat of wishing there was more, I think I am just spoiled by the sheer volume Pirateaba writes for TWI.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

LLSix posted:

This turned out to be a fantastic rec, thank you! It’s pretty far outside my usual cup of tea so I probably never would have stumbled over it on my own.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cinara posted:

Same, this is one of those really dumb but fun stories that I love, lots of humor but in a serious setting.

Put me in the boat of wishing there was more, I think I am just spoiled by the sheer volume Pirateaba writes for TWI.

Seems like they’re putting stuff out at a pretty good clip.
I agree with the humor. It’s rare that something like this gives me a genuine laugh.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah he who fights monsters is now my new favourite serial.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm sad that (PracGuide) Cat is on bad terms with Pilgrim again, even though she was pretty justified in her reaction (though I feel like Pilgrim isn't really wrong to have the attitude he does, since I feel like Cat often doesn't appreciate how the actions of many of her friends/allies would appear to others; there's no reason for him to trust that Cat's evaluation of the Bard is correct). Hopefully she can still stay buddies with Rogue Sorcerer, who seems green enough and with an ambiguous enough name that he isn't defined by being aligned with Good (similar to a name like Thief or Archer or something).

Also very curious how real Akua's scene was. Though Catherine basically acknowledges the possibility that she's been played. My guess is that it's Akua having genuine feelings while also realizing that those feelings can help her to fulfill her ambitions and betray Catherine. Like, it won't surprise me if she simultaneously genuinely likes the feeling of hanging out with the Woe but also is willing to sacrifice it for ambition.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

I kind of feel like (PracGuide) There won't be an Akua betrayal at all. I kind of feel like Cat's narrative has sort of become that she ends up changing everyhting she touches, from the various members of the Woe transitioning to something different/new, to the Accords, to Arcadia's new court, to the Army of Callow being a mix of Praesi and Callowan soldiers who are actually getting along with one another, and the Drow being the most obvious example. A Sahelian transitioning from backstabby schemer near-royalty to someone who, if not exceedingly heroic, is actually sincere and geneuinely wants to reach for something better for her homeland doesn't feel that far-fetched from that angle, really.

I actually feel like the Bard's going to use that sort of meta-narrative to transition away from her role, especially given that it seems to affect people who should be her enemies the most (Archer, Akua, Viv, Arcadia, the Drow and their resident goddesses, even Levant via Tanja is starting to change...It is kind of a trend). Makes sense to be seen as Cat's enemy while not actually doing that much harm to her directly, if that's the goal...

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I always assumed that Akua's risk of betrayal dropped immensely during that ritual where she was like 'Cat accidentally gave me enough power to break her hold on me but I'ma do what I'm supposed to instead, because holy poo poo'. I suppose it also depends how much is the person and how much is the name; I always assumed that Akua betraying literally everyone she ever interacts with was part of her role as Heiress, and that a lot of what we saw once she hit Diabolist was more habit and upbringing than a narratively-driven obligation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
^^^ Eh, I'm pretty sure her motives were genuine. That's not a Name thing - that's Praesi (and particularly high-born Praesi) culture. To Akua (and other similar Praesi) there is genuine virtue to ambition and achieving "great things" regardless of morality. She has also specifically talked about how, to her, personal sentiment and ambition can be kept completely separate. Which is part of why I see a "she realizes that the Woe actually matter to her as friends, but is still willing to betray them for ambition" option as being possible.

The biggest things that would make this unlikely are that 1. it'd be a pretty unsatisfying conclusion to her arc and say depressing things about the ability of Praesi to change and 2. I'm not sure how they'd fit another Akua conflict into the upcoming conflict, since Akua isn't the type who would be willing to work with the Dead King in any capacity.

Unrelated, but for some reason I always imagine Jindrich (the big drow guy who loves fighting) as looking like a big World of Warcraft troll. I have no idea why this is.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 21, 2019

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Akua is going to betray Cat in the most devious and awful of ways: by taking Cat's place as Adjutant's BFF.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Plorkyeran posted:

Akua is going to betray Cat in the most devious and awful of ways: by taking Cat's place as Adjutant's BFF.

If she really wanted to tick Cat off she could try seducing Vivi... I mean, there's the fact that the latter is the Woe's designated maintainer of murder boners for people who piss them off, but I'd still give her even odds.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: OMG Octavia and Numbtongue :kimchi: More friends for goblin!!

TWI regular: lol erin gets owned

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 21, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Omi no Kami posted:

If she really wanted to tick Cat off she could try seducing Vivi... I mean, there's the fact that the latter is the Woe's designated maintainer of murder boners for people who piss them off, but I'd still give her even odds.

Vivienne is, I think, the only 100% straight human member of the Woe.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Vivienne is, I think, the only 100% straight human member of the Woe.

Which only makes Cat's crush funnier every time it comes up. Evil queen protip: if your awesome orc buddy whose defining character trait is loyalty towards you takes to gossiping about how hilariously obvious-yet-pointless your crush is behind your back, you maybe have a problem.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there any way to aggregate the web serials I follow into a single feed?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I asked this in this thread a while back and I'd like to know if anything has changed since, but back then the consensus was that aside from the few that provide RSS feeds, not particularly. Stuff on Fictionpress is particularly annoying to follow because all I can do is sign up for email updates.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Cicero posted:

Is there any way to aggregate the web serials I follow into a single feed?

Most of them have RSS feeds in my experience, check to see if the story is posted to multiple locations. Many of the bigger ones(Mother of Learning for example) are put on Royalroad on top of their normal site, and that has RSS support.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

what are the current good web serials that aren't about superheroes or knights and wizards?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Into the Mire is a pretty swell serial about a swamp... it's still fantasy, but mostly low fantasy.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Peanut Butler posted:

what are the current good web serials that aren't about superheroes or knights and wizards?

I think they're called "books"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Peanut Butler posted:

The Daily Grind, sorta?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Was gonna say the Daily Grind, but its updates seem to have petered out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

There's an FAQ after the last chapter that says the next book should start in October