Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Has anyone read Oh Crap! I have a toddler by the same author?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I liked the basic principles of Oh Crap but I found the tone very patronizing and shame-y. So just take the guilt trips with a grain of salt if you read it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh man last night was horrible. One of the twins had gotten a splinter under his foot and it got stuck real deep and I had to dig it out. I am really lucky I bought a pair of 2x optivisors, not for this but they have come in handy more than once for this kind work, this was the worst though, so much crying, he had to lie in the sofa with mom eating cookies afterwards.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
What's up "rough night" buddy? I also had a rough night last night. Bubs is 11 weeks and must be about to have another growth spurt and so was up about every hour to eat. That's not the rough part, I can handle that fine. The rough part was coming downstairs to prepare some auxiliary formula and discovering the dog had had diarrhea'd in a perfect circle on the carpet. I admit, I cried a little. But I got it cleaned up and baby fed and back to bed. He took a massive poo yesterday after three days of only wet diapers so I shouldn't have to clean any poo diapers today, which is nice! And since it's a bath day, and he sleeps so so well on bath days, hopefully I'll get a straight 4 hours tonight. Pray for me, goons.

Pray that this little monster slumbers peacefully tonight.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Baths really helped my baby sleep (well, get to sleep anyway), so now every night she gets time in the bath as part of our bedtime routine. It was a suggestion from this thread and it’s made a big difference getting her to sleep initially. She only gets soaped up if it’s been a particularly gross day or if it’s been a while since the last soap, otherwise we just put her in some plain warm water and she splashes around for a while. She gets lotion after every bath and she’s had zero problems with dry skin.

We just got through the three week long four month sleep regression where she was up every 60-90 minutes at night and refused to nap during the day. Now we are back to her regular schedule of asleep by 9:30, then up at midnight, 2, 5, 7, and 9.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Koivunen posted:

Baths really helped my baby sleep (well, get to sleep anyway), so now every night she gets time in the bath as part of our bedtime routine.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I’ll be going back to nightly baths for my 10 month old because she gets her cranial band tomorrow. Going to have to wash her hair everyday I bet. Gonna be yucky under there.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
How physically developed can a toddler be where I can safely put them in one of the sink bays while I wash dishes in the other?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

How physically developed can a toddler be where I can safely put them in one of the sink bays while I wash dishes in the other?

Are you putting water in there? If not, or if you're leaving the drain open (ideally not the side with the garbage disposal), then I would think old enough to sit up and avoid smacking their head on the metal.

Why not use something on the floor like a swing or a seat for them to watch you?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are you putting water in there? If not, or if you're leaving the drain open (ideally not the side with the garbage disposal), then I would think old enough to sit up and avoid smacking their head on the metal.

Why not use something on the floor like a swing or a seat for them to watch you?

I wasn't thinking to keep any depth of water in there, but let some splash in naturally, or give them the opportunity to play with the stream. A sensory experience, I guess? A chance for a quick rinse instead of a full bath.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I wasn't thinking to keep any depth of water in there, but let some splash in naturally, or give them the opportunity to play with the stream. A sensory experience, I guess? A chance for a quick rinse instead of a full bath.

I could see that being fun.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I could see that being fun.

Yeah, definitely sounds fun for kid and parent.

If mine is any basis for extrapolation, you'll probably have a sweet spot between about 3-6 months when the kid is big enough to hold their head up but not so mobile that they want to explore the kitchen counter.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Toddler towers exist and work well. I'm all about involving young children in all household chores. You just got to go pretty darn slow

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I am not ashamed to admit I used one of the “baby shark on repeat for an hour” videos on YouTube for the last 10 minutes of getting dinner on the table tonight while my wife is out. The oldest was playing by herself in the basement and the twins needed to sit the gently caress down and get out of the way. :)

I also then took them all on a bike ride to the closest playground after and played bear in a cave for a while so it all evens out.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Oh, that loving baby shark song.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sarah posted:

10 month old daughter just went through the horrible diaper rash thing as well. She would scream right before diarrhea hit and during. And shake her fists. :( Her rash was so bad, it looked like welts. She fought every diaper change because wiping made it worse. I felt so bad for her. I felt bad for me because diarrhea everywhere because she wouldn’t hold still. We usually have a pharmacy mix a compound and pay for it out of pocket because it’s quicker, but this time I mixed the compound myself and it was pretty easy.

https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/-/media/nch/specialties/pharmacy/compounding-formulas/petrolatum-maalox-topical.ashx

This is a miracle cream. Seriously. It cleared up that awful welt looking rash in less than 2 days. I plan on mixing a big batch up for a baby shower coming up. It stopped the screaming because I really protected the sore spots, after one application she didn’t scream while being cleaned up.

One thing to mention to anyone who plans to mix this: I was really concerned because I could only find mint flavored maalox. I thought that it would mess things up. It doesn’t. After 30 minutes in the mixer the mint smell was gone, obviously I didn’t taste it lol. But it looked exactly like the pharmacy one did, and same texture.

How do you mix this stuff? Not super keen on using my kitchenaid for it.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

pro parenting tip: bear hunt.wmv is significantly less annoying than baby shark but seemingly just as mesmerising

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nwin posted:

It really does need to mix for 30 minutes. You could sit and mix it yourself but it will be difficult because it is thick and by the end of 30 minutes you will be dead tired. I used the kitchenaid for it. If you do use it, a word of caution: plain aquaphor is a gigantic pain the in rear end to remove from anything. Be very careful what you use to get it out of the container and into a bowl. The mixture itself was easy to remove. Just the plain aquaphor you need to be cautious with or you'll end up with a hard to remove mess.

Looking back, I would definitely have used a paper bowl to weigh the aquaphor out and a plastic spoon instead of a rubber kitchen spatula. That way I would only have to deal with what was on the bowl and the mixer attachment.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 23, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Chadzok posted:

pro parenting tip: bear hunt.wmv is significantly less annoying than baby shark but seemingly just as mesmerising

Oh man our kid lovedddd that. There was an installation at our children's museum that had that exact version and she fell in love with it.

We had the book, we watched this version all the time (https://youtu.be/0gyI6ykDwds), eventually watched all 8 million variants of other styles on YT.

But the best is the 30 minute animated adaptation on Amazon Prime. It's fantastic.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ugh.

My daughter (2 years old and change) locked herself in her room. The doors are old as poo poo, and lock with a push button. There's a little hole you can push a pin in to unlock them, so I wasn't concerned.

Turns out... these doors are old as balls and the mechanism to unlock from the outside was broken.

She thought it was hilarious at first. After I had spent fifteen minutes or so fiddling with it with various tools, she started to get nervous.

After five more minutes or so, with me talking to her to try to keep her amused, she starts freaking out.

She didn't understand what was going on. She kept pleading with us to open the door. "Dad, open the door. Dad, pick up MyName. Dad! Pick up MyName!". She had gotten so upset. So I got a crowbar and just destroyed the door knob. The noise made her freak out even harder, but at least it didn't take long to open the door after that.

I must have gotten a huge spike of adrenaline, because the rest of the day I was extremely tired, sluggish, and my arms felt weak.

Feel bad man. She wasn't in any danger, her room is kidproof, but she just didn't understand what was going on, and she was terrified. My kid being scared and me being unable to come to her help is the absolute worst feeling in the world.

If any of the doors in your house lock, and you have a toddler, please, make sure that you can open them from the outside without resorting to a crowbar. Actually test each door in your house to make sure the unlocking actually works. :(

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Sarah posted:

It really does need to mix for 30 minutes. You could sit and mix it yourself but it will be difficult because it is thick and by the end of 30 minutes you will be dead tired. I used the kitchenaid for it. If you do use it, a word of caution: plain aquaphor is a gigantic pain the in rear end to remove from anything. Be very careful what you use to get it out of the container and into a bowl. The mixture itself was easy to remove. Just the plain aquaphor you need to be cautious with or you'll end up with a hard to remove mess.

Looking back, I would definitely have used a paper bowl to weigh the aquaphor out and a plastic spoon instead of a rubber kitchen spatula. That way I would only have to deal with what was on the bowl and the mixer attachment.

Yeah I tried mixing it in a red Solo cup, and it didn't go well. To be fair, our kiddo's doc added three more ingredients to the butt paste just for this rash: ketoconazole, mupirocin, and cortisone cream. So, it's a bitch to put it all on because with an applicator, I don't want to contaminate vaseline with mylanta, or vice versa. So, I mix the three creams together and apply, wipe off applicator, apply petrolatum, and kind of drip mylanta on his but and then spread it with applicator.

The Kitchenaid thing is a very expensive mixing utensil with mixing attachments that are a bitch to hand-wash AND FOR SOME loving REASON CAN'T HANDLE THE DISH WASHER. The only attachments we have left are the little spiraly thing and the whisk-ish one, guess which one is best for mixing these ingredients? And guess which one is the biggest bitch to hand clean? I did use a hand-mixer, and it sucked balls.

ne: I didn't try to mix everything else with the paste, I only wanted to mix the mylanta and petrolatum so I would have a paste that could go on the applicator with the other three things and could be applied all at once.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

life is killing me posted:

AND FOR SOME loving REASON CAN'T HANDLE THE DISH WASHER

If you ask Kitchenaid they say that their attachments are top rack dishwasher safe.

Do not listen to Kitchenaid.

RIP my paddle attachement.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

Ugh.

My daughter (2 years old and change) locked herself in her room. The doors are old as poo poo, and lock with a push button. There's a little hole you can push a pin in to unlock them, so I wasn't concerned.

Turns out... these doors are old as balls and the mechanism to unlock from the outside was broken.

She thought it was hilarious at first. After I had spent fifteen minutes or so fiddling with it with various tools, she started to get nervous.

After five more minutes or so, with me talking to her to try to keep her amused, she starts freaking out.

She didn't understand what was going on. She kept pleading with us to open the door. "Dad, open the door. Dad, pick up MyName. Dad! Pick up MyName!". She had gotten so upset. So I got a crowbar and just destroyed the door knob. The noise made her freak out even harder, but at least it didn't take long to open the door after that.

I must have gotten a huge spike of adrenaline, because the rest of the day I was extremely tired, sluggish, and my arms felt weak.

Feel bad man. She wasn't in any danger, her room is kidproof, but she just didn't understand what was going on, and she was terrified. My kid being scared and me being unable to come to her help is the absolute worst feeling in the world.

If any of the doors in your house lock, and you have a toddler, please, make sure that you can open them from the outside without resorting to a crowbar. Actually test each door in your house to make sure the unlocking actually works. :(

My mother has a similar story about me in the laundry room. I locked myself in somehow, and in that room there is bleach, detergent, bug spray, glue, all sorts of fun substances. She ended up breaking the door to get to me. She said I was calm and she was the one getting emotional. The laundry room had a very elaborate kid- proofing after that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Renegret posted:

If you ask Kitchenaid they say that their attachments are top rack dishwasher safe.

This is the EXACT thing that happened to me (the paddle attachment), and it was the cause of three days' worth of sighing and bitching from my wife, who won't put many dishwasher-safe things in the dishwasher.

Yes, KitchenAid does say they are top-rack safe--interesting that that's exactly where I placed the paddle attachment, which led to some weird white dust all over it that looks similar to silver oxidation, but rubs off on your hands and on food as a charcoal-colored dust.

That's exactly why I am loathe to use the only remaining attachment that's suitable for mixing the poo poo--cleaning patrolatum and mylanta off the thing by hand to return it to a state suitable for mixing food products together will be a bitch, and my wife will get mad at me for using it. She already scoffed at the idea and said, "Well, if you use it, you'd better clean it really well because I don't want to replace it because it's the only attachment worth using." Or something like that.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 23, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Renegret posted:

Had the same thing happen, replaced with one of the attachments with the nylon coating and have had no dishwasher related issues with that one

e: like this: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K45B-Coated-Flat-Beater/dp/B00005LD47

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 23, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

Had the same thing happen, replaced with one of the attachments with the nylon coating and have had no dishwasher related issues with that one

e: like this: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K45B-Coated-Flat-Beater/dp/B00005LD47

I own a 6 quart model so sadly that one doesn't really help me.

Unfortunately I haven't found a replacement paddle that is any good yet. I bought one with little rubber tips at the end so it can scrape the bowl better, but the whole thing is just a tiny bit too big so doesn't actually work. I even matched the model numbers and everything!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I don't see why you all can't seem to find a suitable ointment for sale? I don't get how your pharmaceutical market works in that case. If they can sell it ready-made, they'll make money, so I would expect them to do so?

I can walk into a pharmacy here and ask for "that miracle cream for baby butts" and they'll hand me the right thing, ring me up and I'm out the door in two minutes without having to buy a Kitchen-aid to mix a gallon full of goop.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't see why you all can't seem to find a suitable ointment for sale? I don't get how your pharmaceutical market works in that case. If they can sell it ready-made, they'll make money, so I would expect them to do so?

I can walk into a pharmacy here and ask for "that miracle cream for baby butts" and they'll hand me the right thing, ring me up and I'm out the door in two minutes without having to buy a Kitchen-aid to mix a gallon full of goop.

Triple Paste!

We also had a mysterious ankle rash too, which our doc gave us a prescription ointment for. This baby has my skin, in that it's complete poo poo.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I use boudreaux butt paste and it works fast and well.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Renegret posted:

Triple Paste!

I used this with my daughter more or less from the start and never had any serious diaper rash issues despite several really bad cases of diarrhea. Definitely try that before you mix poo poo up in a kitchen appliance.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
British people always use Sudocrem for "nappy rash", which is a very thick zinc oxide paste. Worked great for my baby. I still use it on any itches or rashes she gets.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

British people always use Sudocrem for "nappy rash", which is a very thick zinc oxide paste. Worked great for my baby. I still use it on any itches or rashes she gets.

Or when sudocrem doesn't work, metanium!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Actually I'd say Sudocrem is more a day to day one that's milder and thinner, but it can and does heal up nappy rash. Can buy it here in Canada now. However, if you want it thick, Zincofax extra strength is what you need.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like desitin

E: Desitin/Sudocrem is okay for mild diaper rash but it does jack for rashes like I described a couple days ago. It took twice daily sitz baths with baking soda, and three times daily butt paste plus antibacterial ointment, antifungal ointment and cortisone to get it to partially healed after two days.

I have seen Boudreaux’s here but don’t know what it has in it.

E2: looks like Boudreaux’s is the same as desitin...

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 23, 2019

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

life is killing me posted:

Sounds like desitin

E: Desitin/Sudocrem is okay for mild diaper rash but it does jack for rashes like I described a couple days ago. It took twice daily sitz baths with baking soda, and three times daily butt paste plus antibacterial ointment, antifungal ointment and cortisone to get it to partially healed after two days.

I have seen Boudreaux’s here but don’t know what it has in it.

E2: looks like Boudreaux’s is the same as desitin...

Desitin is petroleum jelly based, butt paste is Castor Oil based. My boy seems to like the butt paste better.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
The local stuff here is called Inityol and the nurses swear by it. Mostly similar to Desitin, I guess, but apart from zink oxide and lanolin it also contains titanium dioxide and something called ichtammol which is supposedly mildly antibacterial.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_bituminosulfonate

We have only had diarrhea for two days in a row, yet, but it has worked well for our baby.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
So we got our DOC band Friday. It’s been going well for her. She doesn’t seem to mind it at all. I’m the only one bothered by it. We went to the zoo on Saturday because it was so nice out and everyone we passed stared and rubber necked at her. Ugh. It just made me more upset. I hate people.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sarah posted:

So we got our DOC band Friday. It’s been going well for her. She doesn’t seem to mind it at all. I’m the only one bothered by it. We went to the zoo on Saturday because it was so nice out and everyone we passed stared and rubber necked at her. Ugh. It just made me more upset. I hate people.

People rubberneck babies regardless of head bands, because everyone loves babies and they're the best.

I promise you nobody's being judgy about that band. You're just hyper aware to it because something changed.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

People look at babies all the time. It's hard but I wouldn't really worry about it and I can 100% guarantee your child has no idea that people are staring if at the band if they are anyway.

Blah have to schedule my a sinus surgery for my son now. 4 years old and his poo poo is super clogged and hasn't improved no matter the antibiotics

Edit: ha someone else posted my exact thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
For people with sleep issues, our little one recently outgrew her Merlin Magic Sleep Suit (which we foolishly bought the next size up of because it mostly worked). So we first had to get her used to sleeping in PJs which was incredibly hard. Then we had to get her to sleep through the night. We probably should have done both at the same time, but we used a modified Ferber method where we didn't disturb her unless it had been a really long time of sitting up or crying for more than a set amount of time and now she mostly sleeps 10-11 hours and can put herself back to sleep if she hasn't soiled herself. It has made our lives much easier.

Of course now she pulls herself to standing and will be running soon.