Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

A lot of the stainless counters I’ve worked with in kitchens has been formply with the stainless forming a skin around it with a lip underneath to give it more rigidity. They scuff pretty badly over time though which is why I’d not use it in a domestic kitchen.

pretty easy to polish on occasion, same as treating your stone once a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a stainless steel plate as a mousepad and it’s checks calipers 1.2 mm thick.

It’s just sitting on a wooden desk top.

I’m not putting as much force onto a mousepad as I would if I were rolling dough, but it’s enough to tell me that two millimetres is probably fine in the kitchen if a half‐competent attempt is made to get it and the plywood under it flat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

slurry_curry posted:

It is definitely not solid black, the type of granite is just referred to as absolute black, and it seems pretty common. From a quick google search, these pictures are pretty accurate for what mine looks like.

Thanks. That description is pretty useless, with "Originating in the quarries of Southern India" being the only actual info on the stone itself, but the photo gives a little bit of clue.

By definition, granite is an intrusive igneous (typically igneous-plutonic) rock containing both some variety of feldspar (ie. plagioclase or orthoclase) or microcline, and some variety of quartz (most typically smokey or clear white quartz). It is always coarse-grained (that is, it has large visible crystals) due to the slow rate at which it cools and crystalizes during formation.

Here's a range of granite compositions:

Notably, of the minerals shown, only amphibole, pyroxine, and mica have black forms (dark amphibole minerals are collectively referred to as hornblende). Smokey quartz can be a darker hue but isn't really black. And the true granites are on the left of the chart: a stone with nothing but (say) pyroxine and olivine is properly peridotite and not granite. (Rhyolite, andesite, and basalt are igneous-volcanic rocks made of the same mineral compositions as the igneous-plutonic rocks granite, diorite, and gabbro, but with tiny crystals, and as far as I know, aren't referred to as "granite" even by the commercial stone sellers.)

Feldspar is very distinctive: it's either white or salmon colored depending on composition (k-spar aka potassium feldspar aka orthclase feldspar is salmon colored; plagioclase is white). Any rock with a significant amount of feldspar is going to be definitely not jet black. For example, "Salt and pepper" granite is typically a granodiorite consisting of large white crystals of feldspar and quartz mixed with large black crystals of hornblende.

Now, while a geologist or minerologist might not like you calling gabbro "granite," from the kitchen counter perspective, who gives a gently caress?

Well: because different stones have different goddamn properties, that's what. Tensile strength, for one. I would like to believe that the stone provider is giving specifications to the retailer and installer etc. so they can tailor structures to the exact stone being used, but I suspect that kitchen builders just universally treat it all as "granite" and do nothing to address specific characteristics of a given stone product. Sure, broadly, intrusive igneous rocks will have tensile strengths similar to one another, within a wide range; but some will be at one end of that range and some at another, and that range could definitely affect decisions such as given a certain thickness, how much overhang is safe. Even two stones of very similar mineral composition but coming from different formations could have significantly different fracture characteristics!

As to what that black "granite" actually is? I'd take a wild guess that it's mostly hornblende, with some mica and/or pyroxine and/or smokey quartz mixed in, but clearly no feldspar whatsoever. E.g., it's probably gabbro, one from the far right extreme of that chart up above (which is a simplification so don't read too much detail into it). But gosh, it sure would be cool if the commercial providers would actually say what their rock is. Customers might actually enjoy knowing! And it'd give more information to designers and installers, too.

But the marketing people have got a hold of poo poo so instead of "would you like this gorgeous south indian gabbro" it's "please buy our Absolute Black GraniteTM.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 24, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would buy a countertop from geology nerds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

They scuff pretty badly over time though which is why I’d not use it in a domestic kitchen.

This is the other thing people don't understand about the difference between commercial surfaces and especially fake commercial appliances (I have a wolf stove so I'm guilty). The resi stuff is hard enough to keep looking good. It's usually brushed or similar to hide the scuffs. Real commercial stuff gives no fucks to looks. It's looks awesome when new and like poo poo after the first day you use and clean it. All that matters is that you can sanitize the hell out of it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

Here's a range of granite compositions:

Feldspar is very distinctive: it's either white or salmon colored depending on composition (k-spar aka potassium feldspar aka orthclase feldspar is salmon colored; plagioclase is white). Any rock with a significant amount of feldspar is going to be definitely not jet black.
As to what that black "granite" actually is? I'd take a wild guess that it's mostly hornblende, with some mica and/or pyroxine and/or smokey quartz mixed in, but clearly no feldspar whatsoever. E.g., it's probably gabbro, one from the far right extreme of that chart up above (which is a simplification so don't read too much detail into it).
This is mostly right, and I think gabbro is the right diagnosis. A couple nitpicks, you don't typically get lots of amphibole or mica in gabbro, these are all too felsic, and never quartz (it reacts). A gabbro is going to be made largely of pyroxenes, olivine and plagioclase feldspar, with these other components being much less usual additions.
Feldspar is typically light colored, but in a gabbro it can be transparent enough and mixed with dark minerals that it does not look light toned.
Gabbros are intrusive like granite but often have generally finer crystal grain which also tracks here.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 24, 2019

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Crappy Construction Tales: Dwarf Fortress Edition

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Scarodactyl posted:

This is mostly right, and I think gabbro is the right diagnosis. A couple nitpicks, you don't typically get lots of amphibole or mica in gabbro, these are all too felsic, and never quartz (it reacts). A gabbro is going to be made largely of pyroxenes, olivine and plagioclase feldspar, with these other components being much less usual additions.
Feldspar is typically light colored, but in a gabbro it can be transparent enough and mixed with dark minerals that it does not look light toned.
Gabbros are intrusive like granite but often have generally finer crystal grain which also tracks here.

OH shiiiiiiit dawwwwwg, Leperflesh got OWNED. Leperflesh do you live in the antebellum South because you just got auctioned off. Sheeit look at this motherfucker getting his mothershitting gabbros wrong, best be walking the hell out this bitch and never show your face again.

drat son.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Corrugated metal like that is not at all the same thing as a standing seam roof.

This is a roof made of the same corrugated metal in that trailer:

Since this is the pedantry thread what I see in the kitchen is ribbed metal panel. I only bring it up because Jesus, at least corrugated metal panel has a pedigree in architectural decor via Chipotle and like, every new house in Bozeman Mt, whereas metal panel belongs on a shed, a shop, or a poo poo house.

Side note, the city of Bozeman decided every house requires three distinct architectural finishes, and that lead to stone, lap siding and metal panel on half of all new housing. I won't be surprised when someone says it happens in another town.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Shut up Meg posted:

Not that this is a hill I am particularly invested in dying on, but a quick google says granite costs this much:

and a comparable lump of 4mm mild steel is £70 for the same 1250mm
I can only find stainless in 3mm, but that costs £210 for 1250mm

So, they are still in the same ballpark as a hunk of rock. Even if you go thicker, it's still not a huge proportion of the cost of a professionally-fitted kitchen

You can tell how thin metal is because thin metal quickly gets warm to the touch, whereas thicker metal stays colder. It's a touch and feel thing

Be good for welding on. Though I am not sure that is a great plus point for the average cook.

I think shaping the steel is expensive and time consuming, whereas stone can be cut pretty easily. Steel is tough to work, that's why we have steelworkers.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Super Soaker Party! posted:

OH shiiiiiiit dawwwwwg, Leperflesh got OWNED. Leperflesh do you live in the antebellum South because you just got auctioned off. Sheeit look at this motherfucker getting his mothershitting gabbros wrong, best be walking the hell out this bitch and never show your face again.

drat son.
You think gabbros come up often in regular conversation?
Just let me have this.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Idk what mine is but I should post my huge piano bar style kitchen sometime, I think it’s granite w a 2 foot overhang

Y’all laugh at me

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm just going to keep dumping the mixed aircraft paint I don't use into a bathtub and make countertops out of "fordite." It's two-part urethane epoxy.

Unfortunately it's 90% matterhorn white and 10% the most fabulous drab colors from the 80s.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I 100% want to be able to sanitize my whole kitchen because of keeping kosher. Metal countertops make this simpler and easier in a variety of ways. :jewish:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Shut up Meg posted:

Good search.

So, that makes these tops 2mm thick steel. I think that while it would work perfectly fine, it would feel cheap to the touch. It would bow slighty when you pressed on it and have a slight 'cookie tin' feel and you could tell by the fingertip temperature that it's thin metal. It think you'd need to be 2-3 times thicker to get the same solid feel as granite

E: which works out slightly lighter than a similar chunk of granite - so maybe it's not a terrible choice of material
I used to work in a church kitchen with countertops and an island like these. Can confirm that it felt like a cookie tin and it would flex down to rest on the supports if you pressed on it or put something on it. I don't know whether it warped because steel installation techniques weren't great in 19whatever vs. whether they all warp like that over time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nevets posted:

Crappy Construction Tales: Dwarf Fortress Edition

The word "feldspar" gives me painful flashbacks to the first week in any new MMO.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Platystemon posted:

I would buy a countertop from geology nerds.

Seriously, Gabbrochat(tm) is unexpectedly fascinating.

Though it makes me want to snap a picture of a "granite" countertop we have in our bathroom displays at work which looks very much like the one in that picture, to see if I can get a judgment on what the hell it is. As well as some of our other stone countertops.

It'd be interesting too see how many got marketing-misnamed.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Misread most of that as "garbo".
Now I'm disappointed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

oh right on, OK

I'm in california and in addition to ~5 intro to intermediate courses, I did a geology of the national parks course as well as field courses in yosemite and surrounds. In the 1990s. And no geology since. So just going from memory I'm pretty pleased to have come close on my wild-rear end guess. I know my tuolomne batholith ok ( and I managed to remember the word "horneblende") but when it comes to knowing the general mineralogy of all intrusive rocks? Yeah naw, it's been too loving long.

half-dome granodiorite has sphene in it! I once sat on the shore of a high alpine lake in yosemite and collected a few dozen tiny grains of sphene from the beach and took them home with me because I love sphene

I wanna see some dark transparentish feldspar though! I'm gonna have to look that poo poo up.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

drat son.

I am shamed

PurpleXVI posted:

Seriously, Gabbrochat(tm) is unexpectedly fascinating.

Though it makes me want to snap a picture of a "granite" countertop we have in our bathroom displays at work which looks very much like the one in that picture, to see if I can get a judgment on what the hell it is. As well as some of our other stone countertops.

It'd be interesting too see how many got marketing-misnamed.

do it!

and now I'm almost wanting to find all the geology nerds on SA and get a "identify my rock" ask/tell thread going or something

of course they'd mostly be better at it than me but still

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 24, 2019

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

and now I'm almost wanting to find all the geology nerds on SA and get a "identify my rock" ask/tell thread going or something

of course they'd mostly be better at it than me but still

There is the geoscientist thread but it's more chatting about the profession than it is "identify my rock"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Luneshot posted:

There is the geoscientist thread but it's more chatting about the profession than it is "identify my rock"

Beat me to it, but the thread would probably welcome rockchat also. Because no geologist doesn't want to talk about rocks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Beat me to it, but the thread would probably welcome rockchat also. Because no geologist doesn't want to talk about rocks.

"I became a geologist because I hate all stone and wanted to learn how to best destroy it. Don't talk about that cursed substance near me. Begone!"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been eyeing up the ovens in GBBO where the door opens normally but slides away underneath.

Read the reviews, there are loads of issues with the sliders breaking. My wife's friend had 3 in her home/small business kitchen and they will broke the same way.

Re: steel tops I visited a chroming supplier for work and one of the products they made bank on was 10mmm steel countertops, pre-cut then chrome plated but left with the natural gain, not polished. They were beautiful, incredibly hard wearing (hilarious chrome thickness of 200μm) so easy to clean and care for, the only downsides were incredible weight and cost.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Read the reviews, there are loads of issues with the sliders breaking. My wife's friend had 3 in her home/small business kitchen and they will broke the same way.

Presumably there's a risk of the double door versions breaking over time as hung doors have a habit of stretching out of square, which is annoying for a cabinet but a real problem for an oven.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cakesmith handyman posted:

Re: steel tops I visited a chroming supplier for work and one of the products they made bank on was 10mmm steel countertops, pre-cut then chrome plated but left with the natural gain, not polished. They were beautiful, incredibly hard wearing (hilarious chrome thickness of 200μm) so easy to clean and care for, the only downsides were incredible weight and cost.

Coat the entire counter in titanium nitride :pcgaming:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Coat the entire counter in titanium nitride :pcgaming:

Check out my new product line of frozen argon countertops (don't put hot pans on it)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Scarodactyl posted:

This is why you never mansplain, because someone else will come along and well actually you into a corner, leperflesh. I hope you learned a lesson.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shut up Meg posted:

Not that this is a hill I am particularly invested in dying on, but a quick google says granite costs this much:

and a comparable lump of 4mm mild steel is £70 for the same 1250mm
I can only find stainless in 3mm, but that costs £210 for 1250mm

So, they are still in the same ballpark as a hunk of rock. Even if you go thicker, it's still not a huge proportion of the cost of a professionally-fitted kitchen

You can tell how thin metal is because thin metal quickly gets warm to the touch, whereas thicker metal stays colder. It's a touch and feel thing

Be good for welding on. Though I am not sure that is a great plus point for the average cook.

Pfft I bet the premium "Stargate" one isn't even made of real naquadah.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Scarodactyl posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY > Crappy Construction Tales:you don't typically get lots of amphibole or mica in gabbro, these are all too felsic,

Also digging the rock chat. I always seem to have a boner for Granite.
I took a few minor geology courses in College, but I forget most of that poo poo now.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i love geologychat and could listen to geologists argue about countertops all day. i'm not kidding

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jaded Burnout posted:

Check out my new product line of frozen argon countertops

I don't know how to react to that

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

canyoneer posted:

I don't know how to react to that

hey heeyyy

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

wesleywillis posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY > Crappy Construction Tales:you don't typically get lots of amphibole or mica in gabbro, these are all too felsic,

Also digging the rock chat. I always seem to have a boner for Granite.
I took a few minor geology courses in College, but I forget most of that poo poo now.

"Granite gets me rock hard" is the obvious expression if you are gonna be this weird.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

therobit posted:

"Granite gets me rock hard" is the obvious expression if you are gonna be this weird.

i guess he took it for granite

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I DIG your countertops.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Gneiss.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

just lol if your counters aren't made of

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lots of schistposting itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU