Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

doomrider7 posted:

¥100 = $1.00

(Well $0.95, but close enough)
seeing "dollar" used in place of "yen" might be strange for someone a country that uses neither, like the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

also, as other people have said, anyone interested enough in Japan to watch subtitled anime knows what a yen is and that 1 yen ~ 1 cent or equivalent. I could understand making the change for a dub of a children's anime, but this isn't that

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

seeing "dollar" used in place of "yen" might be strange for someone a country that uses neither, like the UK

The UK isn't a real country.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

The UK is about to be not a real country.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
anyone else remember learning about yen as a kid and a ton of videogame currencies suddenly clicked

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Endorph posted:

Translating yen to dollars is some jellyfilled donut poo poo

I salivate uncontrollably as I peer through the window. The pastry chef gently glides his black marker over each sticker price, converting yen to dollars.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

I salivate uncontrollably as I peer through the window. The pastry chef gently glides his black marker over each sticker price, converting yen to dollars.
i too have been in an airport

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okonomiyaki is Japanese Pizza!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

When someone in anime or manga says a number that's more than 9999, there's a about a 50% chance that it'll get translated incorrectly, even before they start trying to convert it into dollars.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Qwertycoatl posted:

When someone in anime or manga says a number that's more than 9999, there's a about a 50% chance that it'll get translated incorrectly, even before they start trying to convert it into dollars.

It's not my fault Japanese uses dumb numbers like a hundred 10,000s.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
They also love to use the number 108, which is something else that can go missing when you start converting units.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

It's not my fault Japanese uses dumb numbers like a hundred 10,000s.

French uses 4x20 as their word for 80 which is significantly more hosed up than anything in the japanese counting system.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Maxwell Adams posted:

They also love to use the number 108, which is something else that can go missing when you start converting units.

I think that ones from buddhism. The 108 Earthly Temptations the Buddha must resist before achieving enlightenment. It's part of Zoro's attack pun names.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cao Ni Ma posted:

French uses 4x20 as their word for 80 which is significantly more hosed up than anything in the japanese counting system.

Ah, Four Score.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They just know how to have a good time

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I don't even mind converting currencies or distances that much because they at least specify the converted unit there.
What always makes me go "WTF....oh" is when they convert temperatures and just use "degrees".

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

doomrider7 posted:

I think that ones from buddhism. The 108 Earthly Temptations the Buddha must resist before achieving enlightenment. It's part of Zoro's attack pun names.

Yeah, and that can also be expressed as 108 types of regret, which is how you get Big Boss in MGSV walking around with 108 pieces of shrapnel in his body, which flies right over the head of the western audience.

108 also turns up a lot in Hinduism. There are a lot of eastern monks wearing prayer necklaces with 108 beads, and a ton of temples built on hilltops with 108 steps leading up.

Check this out:

TVTropes posted:

At 13 minutes and 21 seconds into the 24th episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Gimmy exclaimed that 108 units of the creepy Buddhism inspired Anti-Spiral ships were destroyed. In addition, 13 minutes and 21 seconds totals up to 801 seconds, the reverse of 108. Right when he mentions this, everything starts going straight to hell as the enemy suddenly launches a massive counter assault.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tamba posted:

I don't even mind converting currencies or distances that much because they at least specify the converted unit there.
What always makes me go "WTF....oh" is when they convert temperatures and just use "degrees".

Soft region locking against everyone but Americans.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Nice

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Ah, Four Score.
And seven blunts ago.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

if i remember correctly 90 is 4x20+10

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Droyer posted:

if i remember correctly 90 is 4x20+10

Danish is technically 90 = 4½ x 20, but generally said/written as a contraction of an archaic phrasing, 4½ said as "half-five". Technically the "Swedish" style (same structure as in English) is also allowed in Danish but nobody ever uses that due to national rivalry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

nielsm posted:

Danish is technically 90 = 4½ x 20, but generally said/written as a contraction of an archaic phrasing, 4½ said as "half-five". Technically the "Swedish" style (same structure as in English) is also allowed in Danish but nobody ever uses that due to national rivalry.

Is this the revival of the Droyer is Danish meme?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Doesn't sweden have a Feburary 30th?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Is this the revival of the Droyer is Danish meme?
Droyer's vengeance will no doubt involve mechas. Do not mess with/taunt Droyer, please. :ohdear:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Doesn't sweden have a Feburary 30th?

no

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wark Say posted:

Droyer's vengeance will no doubt involve mechas. Do not mess with/taunt Droyer, please. :ohdear:

on the other hand, this means until mechas are invented you can mess with droyer as much as you want

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blhue posted:

on the other hand, this means until mechas are invented you can mess with droyer as much as you want

Better hurry, then.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
given is a good show

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
By jove, Aki is hella :krad:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that was such a good scene

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

A screenshot doesn't capture the delivery of this line.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Where'd it go then?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ranzear posted:

A screenshot doesn't capture the delivery of this line.
finally found a video of it because i dont know how to make one

https://twitter.com/mafuyuukis/status/1164642268785123334

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

https://gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

Like the other 3 main VA's are good, but Takuya Eguchi is basically perfect as Aki. :kimchi:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

quote:

a candid conversation about sexuality and the normalization of having nonheteronormative feelings is so important, exactly what lgbt+ viewers need.

A small correction: It's what everybody needs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does anyone care about Radiant? It's getting a second season in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I can't believe how good Dumbbells is this week. Anime scientists need to study this to find out how a show with an empty premise and characters with almost no motivation can make for such a good show.