Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah, he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I'll just say it here because Spoilers, but it's so wild to me that Dr. Ferdinand's respect spiel is basically a precursor to the Napkin Speech.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BaDandy posted:

I'll just say it here because Spoilers, but it's so wild to me that Dr. Ferdinand's respect spiel is basically a precursor to the Napkin Speech.

I am shocked that he only showed up for one chapter. I thought he was around longer.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I completely forgot just how little Mountain Tim actually shows up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am shocked that he only showed up for one chapter. I thought he was around longer.

Yeah, he's there one minute then Take Him Out

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wanted to reply to this thread from the Let's Read, but it's pretty drat suggestive of things to come so I'm writing it here.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's the source of some of my biggest gripes with part 7 and i'm sad to say it's not the last time someone is weird towards lucy steel

i don't really know how to explain it other than it maybe being a combination of araki just like halfway seemingly not comprehending the concept of age (like giorno is apparently goddamn 15 years old what the gently caress) and it being some idea that it was like that back in the day for whatever reason

i don't know. it sucks.

It's not just[ people being weird towards Lucy, it's people projecting qualities onto her and then trying to possess her, as like a sort of talisman. Specifically, it's a manifestation of the same greed people express toward the corpse.

Only, while the corpse is this (apparently) inanimate dead thing, Lucy is a living person. In associating the two, we're told that taking the corpse is not a neutral act of having an object, but as malicious as transgressing against a person. And desiring Lucy is not a neutral case of failing to "comprehend the concept of age" or OK just long as you're "back in the day" or whatever, but an act of blasphemy.

The point of this is to highlight, in bold and triple underline that the President and co. are not just an adventurous crew rowdy to do some action archaeology, but genuinely evil people who's aims are ruinous to the safety and well being of others, especially the powerless.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I totally agree that there's a lot of thematic weight to the events around Lucy, and I like it, but also Araki really likes to rely on the horror movie crutch of creating fear out of what could possibly happen to defenseless young girls (Anne and Forever, Melone and the woman on the train). Part 7 is probably "the best" version of this with Hot Pants saving Lucy which is super badass and of course killing DIO, but i still don't love it!

the poo poo with scarlet is just bad tho

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 27, 2019

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Funky Valentine posted:

I completely forgot just how little Mountain Tim actually shows up.

Its a drat shame

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I haven't read part 8 yet but doesn't it also have a lot of Yasuho getting assaulted too? It's one aspect of Araki's writing that seems to have gotten more prominent in later parts and that makes me sad.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It happened like three times in the first third, and two of those were Joshu, but nothing since then. Hell the incident that kicks off Part 8 is Yasuho hiding from Joshu and Joshu thinking he should brain the naked dude in the dirt. The worst example I remember is that she knows falls into this car with three random dudes and they're all just instantly ready to sexually assault her?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There was that point during Doctor Wu where the crumpled asbestos that used to be Doctor Wu ended up in Yasuho's underwear, that was something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

So when we get a Steel Ball Run anime, will they have Ringo gently caress with the OP?

I would love it if when we got to this point, Valentine hosed with the OP by actually playing the Part 1 OP.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The part 1 OP but all the characters are replaced with part 7 dudes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the part 1 op and it's mostly the same except part 7 characters keep popping out of things and into view like some sort of goddamn scooby doo chase sequence as they try to catch valentine and at some point you see johnny dragging himself across the floor during a shot

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Think it'll be something like Funny Valentine jumps into an alternate version of the OP. Post Tusk part 4 Funny Valentine will be trying to get back to the original OP and be unable to.

And I'm calling Old Town Road as the ED

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Valentine escapes to Part 1 OP but right after the SONO CHI NO SADAME, the JOOOOOOJO is punctuated by a CHUMIMIIIIIN as Tusk Act 4 pulls the OP open

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

Valentine escapes to Part 1 OP but right after the SONO CHI NO SADAME, the JOOOOOOJO is punctuated by a CHUMIMIIIIIN as Tusk Act 4 pulls the OP open

This but also Valentine runs past Diavolo along the way whom Tusk murderglitches before catching up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waffleman_ posted:

I would love it if when we got to this point, Valentine hosed with the OP by actually playing the Part 1 OP.

Wouldn’t this be for Pucci? The opening gradually speeds up, loops through a few times, then ends up with the Part 1 opening but with the Part 1 characters replaced with weird lookalikes.

Part 7 will be the same opening but the roles are all mixed up, like it’s an alternate universe.

These are probably a bit too ambitious to be real though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RatHat posted:

Wouldn’t this be for Pucci? The opening gradually speeds up, loops through a few times, then ends up with the Part 1 opening but with the Part 1 characters replaced with weird lookalikes.

Part 7 will be the same opening but the roles are all mixed up, like it’s an alternate universe.

These are probably a bit too ambitious to be real though.

I'm struggling to think of what you would do for a Part 8 opening, though. Maybe things start changing or people start looking the same because of the effects of Paper Moon King?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The part 8 opening needs to end with Mamezuku pointing out it's seriously 89 seconds long.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Part 9 should be Araki's Greed Island.

But Part 8 is already bad

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What I kind of want to see in part 9 is to check up on how this universe's version of Jotaro is doing and explore what's gone on with the Joestar family. And also have the threat of another reboot hanging over everything - Diego was just normal this time but in the Jojo universe fate trumps direct causality, and the question of if the universe is fated to reboot itself again somehow is going to be in the air.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What I kind of want to see in part 9 is to check up on how this universe's version of Jotaro is doing

Yeah, Kyo's been gone for a while.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't believe someone would insult Araki by comparing JoJo to Hunter x Hunter like that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love both!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

overmind2000 posted:

I'm struggling to think of what you would do for a Part 8 opening, though. Maybe things start changing or people start looking the same because of the effects of Paper Moon King?

The characters start randomly bumping into things

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A bunch of Caato's cards come out of nowhere during the opening and start loving with Gappy and pals.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The opening is 89 seconds long?

E: A second after I posted this, I realized that this is actually a typical length for an opening

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 28, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

This runtime, 89 seconds... are we sure that's correct?

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

I was really liking Stone Ocean until that fuckin ending.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhfF3XCGE5A

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ToYJct9Cc

Never before seen test animation for the Phantom Blood movie is going to be uploaded soon.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That looks so good i wonder how they hosed it up

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
No Speedwagon

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Stairmaster posted:

That looks so good i wonder how they hosed it up

The Jojo fan wiki has a list of differences between the manga and movie

quote:

• Dio's inner monologues are not depicted. His motives for bullying Jonathan are never explained.
  • The boxing match, rugby game and Jonathan's first encounter with Erina are omitted.
  • Two extra scenes are added: one where Dio steps on Jonathan's necklace from Erina and another where Jonathan hurts himself on a needle Dio places in his bed.
  • The concept of the Ripple is not explained clearly. The Ripple's dexterity is also never demonstrated, it is treated as a "fighting energy" used to power up Jonathan's punches.
  • Robert E. O. Speedwagon is omitted.
  • Jonathan's fight with Jack the Ripper is omitted.
  • Dio uses his vampiric power to transform his hideout in Windknight's Lot into a giant castle.
  • Dio does not meet the protagonists in the graveyard; the Dark Knights, Bruford and Tarkus are already waiting for them and are taken out quickly by Jonathan's Ripple Overdrive.
  • The scene where Bruford gives his sword to Jonathan and names it LUCK & PLUCK is omitted.
  • Tonpetty appears by himself. The characters Poco, Dire and Straizo are not featured.
  • Tonpetty's flashback with Zeppeli takes place on a cliff as opposed to a tightrope over the Tibetan temple. Tonpetty reading Zeppeli's future also causes a shockwave that blows away the surrounding clouds.
  • The scene where Zeppeli, Jonathan and Dio clash under the moon takes place after Jonathan defeats the Dark Knights and in proximity of Dio's castle. Dialogue between Dio and Zeppeli, including the famous "bread" line, is omitted.
  • Dio counters Zeppeli's Ripple with his freezing technique and Jonathan intervenes in a scene similar to the manga. Zeppeli is killed in this encounter, however, in a manner not unlike Dire's death. The specifics behind the freezing technique and why it counters Ripple are not explained.
  • Zeppeli's hair does not turn white when he passes his life energy to Jonathan.
  • Jonathan does not light his gloves on fire to counter Dio's freezing technique. He instead overcomes it by "powering up" during their clash.
  • The ship Jonathan and Erina board sails through the Pacific Ocean instead of the Atlantic Ocean. This is an error as Erina is still rescued near the Canary Islands.
  • The baby Elizabeth is omitted from the movie. In the manga, Erina chooses to die with Jonathan but is persuaded after he asks her to save the baby. In the movie, she enters the coffin without Jonathan saying anything.

Actually, Dio transforming something into a giant castle through vampire magic is a good change and DavidPro should have used it.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 2, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The movie sounds like it was awful but VOODOO KINGDOM has always been a good-rear end song.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ToYJct9Cc

Never before seen test animation for the Phantom Blood movie is going to be uploaded soon.
It looks a bit like the OVA artstyle, particularly the ones that cover the stuff before Egypt.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this week's steel ball read is definitely where things start rolling. i forgot that. dope.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
kanpai

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kanpai...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Funky Valentine posted:

The movie sounds like it was awful but VOODOO KINGDOM has always been a good-rear end song.

It looks a bit like the OVA artstyle, particularly the ones that cover the stuff before Egypt.

P sure its the same studio who did the OVA doing this.