Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Nevets posted:

Will this actually hold? Seems like most of the work is done by the wide screw head holding the soft drywall against a stud. I don't know if the threads are going to hold it well enough.

This. Putty and sand, then hit it with a coat of paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

I know this isn't the question you asked, but is there a particular reason you didn't go for a premade attic hatch? They're quite cheap.

didn't really know they were an option (:v:) and i've mostly been following my girlfriend's dad's instructions up to this point as he did or taught us how to do basically everything else on this project - he's a carpenter/luthier/contractor and this isn't the first house he's (re)built

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Why bother with the box at all? Just put the insulation on the back of a sheet of wood and it will be much lighter and easier to push up and to the side. That's how it is at my house.

we've tended to over-engineer things on this project, for better or worse.

Nevets posted:

Will this actually hold? Seems like most of the work is done by the wide screw head holding the soft drywall against a stud. I don't know if the threads are going to hold it well enough.

QuarkJets posted:

I had that thought as well. Redoing the drywall while trying to screw into it from behind seems like it may result in that whole drywall sheet falling off some day and is a lot more work than just slapping some mud over the screw heads. I can imagine covering the screw heads and painting not taking more than 1-2 hours, redoing the drywall on the other side several hours more than that

good point - I hadn't thought much about what's actually providing the support force for the drywall sheet. replacing this 2x2 square would be like 15-30 minutes, tops, but if threads aren't going to support it effectively from the back then that's kinda pointless isn't it

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bloody posted:

didn't really know they were an option (:v:) and i've mostly been following my girlfriend's dad's instructions up to this point as he did or taught us how to do basically everything else on this project - he's a carpenter/luthier/contractor and this isn't the first house he's (re)built

Ah fair enough. I can see a carpenter reaching for a carpentry solution, but I'm gonna wag my relatively inexperienced finger and say he should've known better ;)

This is a random example of one, this particular one is £33 which I daresay is cheaper than your materials were, though that's not super useful now you've built it, of course.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manthorpe-gl260-push-up-loft-access-door-white-562-x-562mm/61794

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Power company came and looked at my pole and found it acceptable. They want a 300 dollar service fee to put on a 20 amp shut off switch and a meter box. No thanks. I'll do it myself. I have both of those things. I'll install them tomorrow and call them back. Then, when I have power, the real work begins. Also got my perc test done and found a 500 gallon poly septic tank at auction which I snapped up for 130 American dollars. The tank is on the list after electric so it's time for me, the most inexperienced backhoe operator, to bring out the backhoe again.

Edit: Gotta love rural America. When I called the power company to tell them the pole was set the woman asked me the address and then told me, and I quote, "well as long as it's sunk 5 foot in the ground there are no other inspections required." Really? Not gonna ask if it has a ground plate leading to a ground wire? Not even gonna ask if the pole is grounded properly, just gonna send out a guy to run the lines? Wild.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 28, 2019

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is it possible (and a not-bad idea) to install a gate latch on the side of a house?

I've got this post about 5 feet from the side of my house with a big driveway gate hanging off. I'm tempted to put a person-sized gate on the other sided of the post, between the post and the house. I'd hinge the gate to the existing post. That would leave me needing to attach the latch mechanism to something on the handle side. Theoretically I could plop another, much smaller post right next to the house and attach the latch to that. The latch wouldn't be doing any holding of the weight of the gate, just keeping it shut. I was planning on doing that, but if I could realistically attach the latch to the house, that would be ideal for at least a few reasons.

Gap in question (piled with junk to keep the dogs in):

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is it possible (and a not-bad idea) to install a gate latch on the side of a house?

I've got this post about 5 feet from the side of my house with a big driveway gate hanging off. I'm tempted to put a person-sized gate on the other sided of the post, between the post and the house. I'd hinge the gate to the existing post. That would leave me needing to attach the latch mechanism to something on the handle side. Theoretically I could plop another, much smaller post right next to the house and attach the latch to that. The latch wouldn't be doing any holding of the weight of the gate, just keeping it shut. I was planning on doing that, but if I could realistically attach the latch to the house, that would be ideal for at least a few reasons.

Gap in question (piled with junk to keep the dogs in):

In principle it is totally fine to do so, but american houses are typically finished in a different way than I'm used to, so it's a slightly different question as to what precautions you have to take, in terms of not accidentally ripping off your siding, or punching through some sort of moisture barrier.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Untrustable posted:

Power company came and looked at my pole and found it acceptable.
Well, that should put a stop to the wife's complaining.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I have this wonderful builtin cabinet with drawers in my bathroom. However the previous owner (who was apparently a painter???) used some poo poo-tier latex over oil-based paint, so it looks like it has dandruff. I'm in the process of sanding loose stuff before I prime and re-coat, but man this is just awful.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I want to put up some pegboard in the utility room for my garden tools, can anyone recommend me a good place to get decent pegboard and hooks in the UK? Seems a bit trickier to find than in the US!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Theoretically I could plop another, much smaller post right next to the house and attach the latch to that.

This is your answer, really. Plop a pressure treated 4x4 there, and you should be golden.

Only issue you might run into depends on what your foundation looks like underneath, if there's anything sticking out beyond the house. If you're in an area that has a frost line, you'll want to get below that to prevent the post from moving.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This is your answer, really. Plop a pressure treated 4x4 there, and you should be golden.

Only issue you might run into depends on what your foundation looks like underneath, if there's anything sticking out beyond the house. If you're in an area that has a frost line, you'll want to get below that to prevent the post from moving.

This is primarily why I don't feel like going this route. We had to dig 4ft holes for the 6x6s holding the gate, and it wasn't pleasant. That's why I find the idea of screwing a small board with half a gate latch screwed on appealing.

I started doing some reading and I see people attach hose reels by just drilling 3" through their vinyl, filling with caulk, and then putting the screws into said caulk-filled holes. Would I regret doing that?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I started doing some reading and I see people attach hose reels by just drilling 3" through their vinyl, filling with caulk, and then putting the screws into said caulk-filled holes. Would I regret doing that?

You'd be fine from a water perspective, as long as you caulked it up good, but I'd be concerned that closing the gate hard would rip the bracket off or loosen it enough to be worthless. Underneath the vinyl is usually just some Tyvek over thin OSB, so it wouldn't take much abuse for the screws to potentially rip out.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Just make it more fence instead of a gate. It's too small and that bush is there anyway.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Previous owners in my house had a pantry off the kitchen that was walled off but no door (it used to be a laundry room before they added a bigger one in the addition). We put a door on it, but now I’m realizing there’s a vent for the heating/ac in the floor in there. Should I move it back into the main kitchen area?

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Previous owners in my house had a pantry off the kitchen that was walled off but no door (it used to be a laundry room before they added a bigger one in the addition). We put a door on it, but now I’m realizing there’s a vent for the heating/ac in the floor in there. Should I move it back into the main kitchen area?

Easy fix would be to close or block off the vent.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I have a 9 year old Whirlpool fridge that isn't staying closed anymore. Reading around, people are using vaseline to make a better seal, and using magnets to realign or remagnetize the magnets in the gasket. How much of this is bullshit and should I just spend the $100 on a new gasket?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Put some wedges under the front so it's tipped enroll for gravity to close the doors.

Aggressive baby locks.

More magnets.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Aggressive baby locks.

Locks for aggressive babies?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Crisis averted. I knew once I posted that I'd figure it out and it'd be something dumb... Somehow the top shelf was pulled out about an inch and the door was bumping into it. Pushed it back in and it's back to normal!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

3,000 dollar trailer update: 200 amp disconnect boxes are expensive. Especially if you want one with the Frankenstein-style lever. I want that lever though. I got all the windows closed, not sure if I mentioned that. One needed a bit o' wigglin'. It's got a huge crack in it so it's getting replaced anyway. As soon as power is hooked up and I begin work in earnest, I will make a thread or something so you can all see pics of this weird, wild journey to turn a 3 grand trailer and 80 acres of untouched land into a homestead.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

awesome plz do

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If I’m considering a polyester vs leather couch, how much would I lose out on going polyester/“performance fabric” instead of leather? The former is nice and cheap, but I’m sure that comes with tradeoffs.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leather is easier to clean as it traps less dirt etc and can be wiped down. I loving hate leather sofas (I don't like the smell or the feel of them) but my mother loves them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, there’s a lot of stuff out there that suggests leather is the better option. Supposedly PU flakes after a few years, that’s kind of a dealbreaker. Leather sucks if you’re hot and sticky, but it’s breathable, durable, and long-lasting.

I’ve been spending the day trolling Jordan’s, Ashley and Bob’s for a leather recliner sofa, and they’re all powered - is powered significantly more expensive? I couldn’t get a good handle on it, but all the leather couches I saw were either no reclining or powered. It’s kinda weird to plug in your loving sofa, but whatever. Upwards of $1.3k for a leather sofa tho :chloe:

Is there a sofa-buying thread? Or general furniture thread? Here works too.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, there’s a lot of stuff out there that suggests leather is the better option. Supposedly PU flakes after a few years, that’s kind of a dealbreaker. Leather sucks if you’re hot and sticky, but it’s breathable, durable, and long-lasting.

I’ve been spending the day trolling Jordan’s, Ashley and Bob’s for a leather recliner sofa, and they’re all powered - is powered significantly more expensive? I couldn’t get a good handle on it, but all the leather couches I saw were either no reclining or powered. It’s kinda weird to plug in your loving sofa, but whatever. Upwards of $1.3k for a leather sofa tho :chloe:

$1300 for a leather sofa is getting off cheap. Those things can pretty easily hit several times that amount. It's only with Ikea coming along that those prices seem super high. There is a reason people put off buying "adult" furniture for a long time.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Pollyanna posted:

Theres an interior decoration thread, but if you're not spending 10k on your couch, they'll want nothing to do with you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

H110Hawk posted:

$1300 for a leather sofa is getting off cheap. Those things can pretty easily hit several times that amount. It's only with Ikea coming along that those prices seem super high. There is a reason people put off buying "adult" furniture for a long time.

Jesus, okay. So what would the catch be, that it falls apart after three years or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Theres an interior decoration thread, but if you're not spending 10k on your couch, they'll want nothing to do with you.

To be fair, "$10k is the minimum for a decent leather couch. A barely nice one." (anyone remember that thread title in BWM? I think it was about shoes.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is the one I was looking at in Jordan’s. What would the trade off here be? If they really get that expensive, what’s the catch?

https://www.jordans.com/product/living-room/sofas/futura-archer-leather-power-sofa-recliner-with-power-tilt-headrest-l34612680

It felt alright, sitting in it. I wasn’t sure about the lumbar support or anything.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Aren't the "cheap" leather sofas and chairs all made with "bonded leather" that's like a thin layer of leather glued to a cloth backing? I've gathered that those don't take wear all that well and the leather will rub off or crack.

If you want to laugh/cry check out a Restoration Hardware showroom. The one in Austin I legit thought was a boutique hotel from the outside. Their sofas were upwards of $13,000. I sat and farted on as many chairs as possible and then considered keeping an eye on their outlet store.

You might check the online furniture shops that have popped up: Article; Rove Concept. Their stuff is fairly attractive but I have no idea on the durability. There's also Interior Define which has store fronts in a few cities. Their stuff seemed nice enough, but it's definitely a made in China furniture with unknown sustainability.

If you have $$$$ I really like Room and Board-- where I purchased my bed frame. And it's claimed it's all made in the US with sustainable forestry. I've eyed their couches and sectionals, but they're all too rich for my blood.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Jesus, okay. So what would the catch be, that it falls apart after three years or something?

It might be totally fine. That being said, we spent $1x00 on a sofa that we absolutely hate. The foam is crushing down, it doesn't hold its shape well, etc. The only reason we haven't replaced it is that with babies we're just not caring too much about staining. I assume we will spend several times that to replace it.

P.S. Do not use "The Sofa Co" if you're in the Los Angeles area. gently caress those idiots who couldn't be bothered to repair my couch they damaged on delivery.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

To be fair, "$10k is the minimum for a decent leather couch. A barely nice one." (anyone remember that thread title in BWM? I think it was about shoes.)

I bought a "leather" love seat from Raymore and Flanigan a little less than a decade ago, and a similar sectional a few years after that. When we moved out of the apartment in May of this year, none of what remained came with us. Every piece was either cracking or shedding leather bits terribly. They looked and felt nice in the store, but after five years, it was like thanos snapped his fingers at my couch. I spent about 1300 for the sectional, for reference. We also barely used that furniture - like, we could go a week without sitting in them easily.

The bottom line is that real leather is expensive, and couches have a lot of surface area. This is on top of all the craftsmanship of wood furniture required. You're really paying for both the materials and the build quality when you buy a couch, which is why good ones cost as much as a car.

If you're balking at paying 1300 for a couch, leather is right out the window. Nothing that you buy new for that price will be real leather. I'd focus instead on finding something with a synthetic fabric that's comfortable to sit on and looks decent. Plus, if you go with a synthetic fabric, it might last longer than five years.

An alternative would be scouring Craigslist with cash in hand. Rich people buy new furniture and sometimes sell their old ones, which means you may be able to get a steal. Think getting a $7000 leather couch for $2000 (maybe). You just have to watch all the time and be ready to ounce. If they're truly real leather they'll hold up great, so don't let a 10 year old piece scare you.

The broader question is to ask yourself if you even need a couch. Depending on your lifestyle, it may be a lot of money to spend on something that gets an hour of rear end time a week.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've also bought sofas from showrooms after their new season's stuff has come in and they're marked to clear.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I bought a "leather" love seat from Raymore and Flanigan a little less than a decade ago, and a similar sectional a few years after that. When we moved out of the apartment in May of this year, none of what remained came with us. Every piece was either cracking or shedding leather bits terribly. They looked and felt nice in the store, but after five years, it was like thanos snapped his fingers at my couch. I spent about 1300 for the sectional, for reference. We also barely used that furniture - like, we could go a week without sitting in them easily.

Yeah like this is the kinda poo poo I want to avoid by not just snapping up whatever I see on the showroom floor. I need to know what it’s made of so that I’m not looking at a pile of Skyrim loot in a few years.

quote:

The bottom line is that real leather is expensive, and couches have a lot of surface area. This is on top of all the craftsmanship of wood furniture required. You're really paying for both the materials and the build quality when you buy a couch, which is why good ones cost as much as a car.

I figured something was up. $1300 isn’t nothing, but it’s fine if I know it will be worth it. Kinda sounds like it might not be depending on the build.

quote:

If you're balking at paying 1300 for a couch, leather is right out the window. Nothing that you buy new for that price will be real leather. I'd focus instead on finding something with a synthetic fabric that's comfortable to sit on and looks decent. Plus, if you go with a synthetic fabric, it might last longer than five years.

I thought synthetic fabric cracked and flaked even more than bonded leather or whatever? And yeah, I’d rather get The Good poo poo rather than pay every few years for The Merely Okay poo poo.

quote:

An alternative would be scouring Craigslist with cash in hand. Rich people buy new furniture and sometimes sell their old ones, which means you may be able to get a steal. Think getting a $7000 leather couch for $2000 (maybe). You just have to watch all the time and be ready to ounce. If they're truly real leather they'll hold up great, so don't let a 10 year old piece scare you.

The broader question is to ask yourself if you even need a couch. Depending on your lifestyle, it may be a lot of money to spend on something that gets an hour of rear end time a week.

The couch thing is weird family pressure that nonetheless would be nice to have. That said, I wouldn’t use it much - I’m either at my desk or lounging in bed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

The couch thing is weird family pressure that nonetheless would be nice to have. That said, I wouldn’t use it much - I’m either at my desk or lounging in bed.

IMO buy a cheapish fabric 2.5 seater then. If it's not getting a lot of use then resilience isn't so important, and fabric ones do last years of normal daily use. Usually it's the cushion interiors that fail first.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We've had cheap leather sofas for over a decade now, they were around 1200€ or something for two of them, reclining lazy boy sofas. I am pretty sure they are made in china, but the leather seems real, though it's this kind with some plasticky layer on top that contains all the color and that is now wearing off. I really love these sofas though, they are sooo comfortable.

Trying to find some pictures of them but I found nothing that shows any detail. I am planning to do something about the leather, I believe the top coat can be scrubbed off (worn off already in lots of places) and then dyed with the appropriate leather coloring.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Pollyanna posted:

I thought synthetic fabric cracked and flaked even more than bonded leather or whatever? And yeah, I’d rather get The Good poo poo rather than pay every few years for The Merely Okay poo poo.

I thought they were referring to "synthetic" as in the microfibres/synthetic suedes. At least that's what I was thinking of. The feeling against your skin is generally pretty nice; It doesn't stick to you if you're a sweaty goon; and keeping them clean isn't too tough. Although I don't have children. Food and pet fur, though aren't a huge problem.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Just discovered that the Samsung fridge I have becomes useless at dispensing water/making ice when a water filter is installed. It came with the house so I just figured it was another bad Samsung appliance, until I googled the model number and found a number of complaints. It slows to a trickle and makes an awful pumping noise with one installed, took it out and it’s like a faucet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Just discovered that the Samsung fridge I have becomes useless at dispensing water/making ice when a water filter is installed. It came with the house so I just figured it was another bad Samsung appliance, until I googled the model number and found a number of complaints. It slows to a trickle and makes an awful pumping noise with one installed, took it out and it’s like a faucet.

Where did you get the filter?

There is a serious counterfeiting problem with those at the moment, exacerbated by amazon's binning system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I thought they were referring to "synthetic" as in the microfibres/synthetic suedes. At least that's what I was thinking of. The feeling against your skin is generally pretty nice; It doesn't stick to you if you're a sweaty goon; and keeping them clean isn't too tough. Although I don't have children. Food and pet fur, though aren't a huge problem.

I said synthetic, but I mostly meant "non-leather." Whether it's one of the microfibres or just a normal fabric, either is likely preferable to fake/discount leather on a timeline longer than a few years.