Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Twig was rad, it's easily my favorite WB serial for days. It has a lot of the same problems his other stuff does, but the setting and core cast were lots of fun. I do find it interesting how a lot of readers apparently enjoy the second half after Sylvester leaves the academy more than the first. For me it was the complete opposite- even though the monster-of-the-week concept was a bit uninspired, I thought it gave the first half a really solid structure to play with, and resulted in better pacing than I've ever seen in any of his other works.

One thing I did find funny is that (late Twig spoilers) I seem to recall the fact that the Academy was intentionally responsible for the lambs' engineered obsolescence was a late-story revelation that was treated like a fairly big reveal, but it was such an obvious security measure that I kind of assumed that was the case from the getgo, and got thrown for a loop when the characters were surprised by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jason in He Who Fights Monsters just got Hegemony as a power. Bet the churches are going to love that. Doesn't sound mind-controlly at all.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Maybe I should pick up TWI again. I stopped on a Lanken chapter where His army restarts the siege of rags in the city she conquered.

I just got tired of reading about goblins dying.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Good news! They've stopped dying!

That was a tough arc.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LLSix posted:

Jason in He Who Fights Monsters just got Hegemony as a power. Bet the churches are going to love that. Doesn't sound mind-controlly at all.

The dialogue in ch 38 was loving incredible

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

erin i'll agree is way way too perfect, but ryoka has been fantastic recently, and a bunch of the natives to the world are well constructed

but obv this is a major ymmv sort of thing

My issue isn't actually with the characters' attributes, but more the specific things they end up saying and the way they say them, and applies to the natives just as much as (if not moreso than) a character like Erin. I don't know how else to describe it other than "it feels sorta like the dialogue from a high school drama production." Like there's something sorta hammy about the way people speak and (for example) characters will comment on some Earth thing Erin has showed them in a way that seems more geared towards appealing to the reader than the way someone in their position would probably actually react. Or if a dramatic/emotional thing is happening, it feels like I'm reading the dialogue of someone who is just echoing what they've absorbed from the way other YA fiction deals with drama.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think the dialogue is probably the main thing that bugs me. Nothing particularly bothers me about the setting or the specific events that take place, but the way the specific scenes/dialogue happen just feels deeply awkward to me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ytlaya posted:

My issue isn't actually with the characters' attributes, but more the specific things they end up saying and the way they say them, and applies to the natives just as much as (if not moreso than) a character like Erin. I don't know how else to describe it other than "it feels sorta like the dialogue from a high school drama production." Like there's something sorta hammy about the way people speak and (for example) characters will comment on some Earth thing Erin has showed them in a way that seems more geared towards appealing to the reader than the way someone in their position would probably actually react. Or if a dramatic/emotional thing is happening, it feels like I'm reading the dialogue of someone who is just echoing what they've absorbed from the way other YA fiction deals with drama.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think the dialogue is probably the main thing that bugs me. Nothing particularly bothers me about the setting or the specific events that take place, but the way the specific scenes/dialogue happen just feels deeply awkward to me.

just quote a literal thing you don't like instead of all this farting around

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BadMedic posted:

Maybe I should pick up TWI again. I stopped on a Lanken chapter where His army restarts the siege of rags in the city she conquered.

I just got tired of reading about goblins dying.

you stopped just before all of that resolved

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Jazerus posted:

you stopped just before all of that resolved

Yea, no more goblins die after that...

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

just quote a literal thing you don't like instead of all this farting around

Eh if he doesn't like the prose that's a perfectly fine reason to dislike the work

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 30, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I feel like there's been some flanderization going on in TWI in this current "book"

With the exception of Ryoka actually.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
PracGuide: So...which group is Scribes? The arsonists or the fire brigade? Or perhaps even both.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

lurksion posted:

PracGuide: So...which group is Scribes? The arsonists or the fire brigade? Or perhaps even both.

It's the guys attacking the silver letters AND the proceran arsonists. A smaller, more focused group sounds more like scribe and black's style, I think. Also, white knight is yet again a disappointment re: the shopkeeper.

Wonder if EE will reveal the weakness of the Augur.

e:

Monsters posted:

The third person was the man who led Jason in. He looked to be around thirty, with the generic handsomeness of a guy who had a supporting role on a teen drama a few years ago, but didn’t break out and is really bitter about going back to his catering job.

lmao jason slow down

Musluk fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 30, 2019

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

lurksion posted:

Pretty sure Scribe's are the hatchets, which are attacking the arsonists. Pretty sure the order of events goes something like Scribe putting her plot into motion, Black contacting her and convincing her that the Accords are the rational path forward and that Salia should not be burnt to the ground, and Scribe then beginning to work to contain the damage and ensure the coup is bungled just badly enough to give Cordelia a stronger position within Procer than she started with. At the same time it literally kills off the biggest opposition to the Accords in Procer.

The arsonists are Malicia's own agents trying to ensure maximum damage is dealt to Procer, because the Accords don't really have a place for her because she made alliance with the Dead King.

I also think it's important to note that Scribe has always been strongly of the opinion that Black is the rightful Dread Emperor and would be better than Malicia in every way in that role. So convincing her of the Accords wouldn't be so hard, because part of making them reality is Dread Emperor Black.

Man, the White Knight was pretty great this chapter.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 30, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Scribe is clearly in play in each of these chapters

first mentioned as "some nameless scribe" who pulls up information about the princesses, and now in the most recent chapter as the adviser to the Prince who's about to kick in the doors of the assembly - the dude clearly cannot be bothered to remember her name, and her perfect memory that he has a mental remark on gives her away

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah I get this. It's like the "all my favourite characters meet up" or "all my favourite characters are put in a situation that allows them to show off to their full ability" fantasy fulfilment fanfics. I know what you mean with the dialogue too, there was a bit in the geneva bit where she said "Why does it have to be snakes" less so to give her a sense of humour, although that's how it was spun, and more so as a joke to the readers, pieces does it a lot too.

Honestly though, I don't mind, there's a certain joy in the wish-fulfilment stuff.

I gotta admit, I stopped reading in May because the flos stuff always loses my attention, and now that I'm catching up, I'm just skipping though all this election bs.

The bits I'm skimming are all "Build the wall build the wall!" and it's probably some extended joke about american politics and I can't be bothered.

quote:

Lism studied one claw.

“It’s…a good idea. But I’d rather I take the Council seat. You see, I am running in your district, Krshia. And if I’m elected, I’ll ensure that we expand our city by one third, fund the Adventurer’s Guild and fund the City Watch! Build those walls! Build those walls!”

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 30, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, that's a good criticism; I've referred to a few chapters as "TWI: Infinity War" in this thread (any chapter featuring lots of characters interacting) and while on my end I loving love it because it's the lifeblood of the series, I can see it not appealing to everyone. Also I don't think that this has been pointed out but it's not so much that Erin is a Mary Sue as it is every single character from Flos to Apista being one in their own POV chapters; Erin just happens to be the most frequent POV character.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Practical guide I feel like Balthazar is really overplaying his hand here. Even if the conspiracy is real and Malanza really does want the throne (it’s obviously Scribe so this is purely hypothetical), in the end he’s just a spy. If some royals on her side demanded that he face penalties for torching their mansion, she would give him up in half a second, especially if she is as cunning and ruthless as he seems to believe. He’s letting his personal feelings cloud judgement.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah I get this. It's like the "all my favourite characters meet up" or "all my favourite characters are put in a situation that allows them to show off to their full ability" fantasy fulfilment fanfics. I know what you mean with the dialogue too, there was a bit in the geneva bit where she said "Why does it have to be snakes" less so to give her a sense of humour, although that's how it was spun, and more so as a joke to the readers, pieces does it a lot too.

Honestly though, I don't mind, there's a certain joy in the wish-fulfilment stuff.

I gotta admit, I stopped reading in May because the flos stuff always loses my attention, and now that I'm catching up, I'm just skipping though all this election bs.

The bits I'm skimming are all "Build the wall build the wall!" and it's probably some extended joke about american politics and I can't be bothered.

You better not skip the chapters with the muscle wizard because he is a treasure

Also Jelaqua making her bf a loving bento

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Good news! They've stopped dying!

That was a tough arc.

Bad news: Because they all died

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Practical Guide: I’m 99% sure the White Knight’s passionless execution of every sinner he walks past, whether they’re actually committing evil at the moment or if they’re just wicked in their own right, is setting up for Scribe’s death. If Scribe is on-site, and the White Knight happens upon her, I think the Choir of Judgement would be able to pierce Scribe’s unnoticeability.

Also I do like EE’s continued quest to make very obvious bad guys out of heroes in a story about sympathetic villains. The systematic murder of wrongdoers is not a good thing, even if it is apparently a Good thing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A big flaming stink posted:

You better not skip the chapters with the muscle wizard because he is a treasure

Also Jelaqua making her bf a loving bento

Haha the muscle wizard guy was pretty great. I'm mainly skipping the bits with Krshna or whatever her name is, the gnoll, and the drake who's against her.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Man I like Grimalkin the muscle wizard, but the name irks me - there aren't any other drakes with a name that comes from earth mythology. And Erin should know that name - because it's present in Macbeth.

I mean, it stands out of all the drake names, Erin's been busy aping the bard as much as she can (so's Pirateaba with the faeries, urgh) so I'mma be real unhappy if it turns out that he's flos or teriarch or something masquerading as a drake.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really doubt that'll be the case

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah, grimalkin is basically one of the most powerful drakes in their military, so him being another disguised being would be a venitra style shock

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Silynt posted:

Practical guide I feel like Balthazar is really overplaying his hand here. Even if the conspiracy is real and Malanza really does want the throne (it’s obviously Scribe so this is purely hypothetical), in the end he’s just a spy. If some royals on her side demanded that he face penalties for torching their mansion, she would give him up in half a second, especially if she is as cunning and ruthless as he seems to believe. He’s letting his personal feelings cloud judgement.

PracGuide He really really wants to kill Cordelia. It's probably clouding his judgment a fair bit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I demand more mother of learning

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Larry Parrish posted:

I demand more mother of learning

Already blew past the planned end of 100 chapters.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I am so happy that I discovered MoL right when they got out of the time loop and not, for example, 5+ years ago. It's hands-down my favorite serial, but reading it at one chapter a month-ish is kinda brutal.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Dude's patreon already makes more than the median income for Croatia, should double down on writing full time imo (I assume it's just on the side now given the 3-4 weeks between chapters pacing).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus I just noticed that the new TWI chapter nearly every paragraph rhymes at least a little, or has a repeating rhythm, and I didn't even notice till halfway in

How has pirateaba not melted their brain doing this poo poo

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah she posted on the discord on Thursday that she was trying to go for an epic poetry narrative style

So she banged out that style in 2 days nbd

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just saw that He who fights with monsters has a patreon offering 20 extra chapters :(

gently caress me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
pirateaba: join my Patreon to get advance access to the next five hundred thousand words

That would be a hell of a way to ensure retention. That's what, ten weeks of her schedule? Jason's author is doing five a week though IIRC, so you're only a month ahead.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

pirateaba: join my Patreon to get advance access to the next five hundred thousand words

That would be a hell of a way to ensure retention. That's what, ten weeks of her schedule? Jason's author is doing five a week though IIRC, so you're only a month ahead.

Brandon Sanderson, Craig Schaefer, and Wildbow are going to stage an intervention on pirateaba soon.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

navyjack posted:

Brandon Sanderson, Craig Schaefer, and Wildbow are going to stage an intervention on pirateaba soon.

From the July 30th update with Numbtongue interlude part 1 to the August 31st update, pirateaba has published 210,900 words of TWI. And that includes an unusually "short" chapter for her of 10800 words while she was getting used to a new keyboard

EDIT: holy poo poo, pirateaba posted the chapter early! It's another interlude, this one with rufelt, though this one is only 9000 words.

it might just be me being drunk but this one was super emotional

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 3, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
er, I copied and pasted it into a word count thing and it said 24k, not 9k.

I literally don't have time to read it this morning.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 3, 2019

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

PracGuide: lol at where Cordelia was hiding

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

blastron posted:

Practical Guide: I’m 99% sure the White Knight’s passionless execution of every sinner he walks past, whether they’re actually committing evil at the moment or if they’re just wicked in their own right, is setting up for Scribe’s death. If Scribe is on-site, and the White Knight happens upon her, I think the Choir of Judgement would be able to pierce Scribe’s unnoticeability.

Also I do like EE’s continued quest to make very obvious bad guys out of heroes in a story about sympathetic villains. The systematic murder of wrongdoers is not a good thing, even if it is apparently a Good thing.

Even then I think that the White Knight in this case isn't actually doing evil - sure, this would be terrible outside of a warzone, but he's essentially punishing mass murderers and traitors, some of which would otherwise get away with the crime and many of which are currently in the process of murdering other people. All these people would be equally dead if caught by literally anyone else - but the White Knight's the only one who has some sort of supernatural method of recognizing if someone actually hasn't done anything too awful and sparing those who just ended up swept up in the conspiracy unwillingly. A lot of the people he ended up sparing would have been killed by any loyalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

er, I copied and pasted it into a word count thing and it said 24k, not 9k.

I literally don't have time to read it this morning.

oh the 9k one was the patreon chapter. the 24k one is also super loving emotional. :qq: :qq: Mrsha :qq: :qq: