Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

OscarDiggs posted:

Are there any good intros to Critical Thinking/Reading?

The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

hooah posted:

The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe.

Mate.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is an ethical way to sell a gun? I inherited my dad's two AR-15s and half built AKs and I'd like to get rid of them, as they're just taking up space in his safe. I'm aware the best solution is to just saw them in half and junk them, but I'd like to recoup some money that he'd dropped on them. I'd like to avoid private sales or gun show stuff because that feels like they'd go to the wrong person too easily. There's a shop that does consignment near me, I'd been thinking of contacting them

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Where do you live?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Maybe you can find someone to beat them into plowshares

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Sell it to a Good Guy.

On a more serious note,if you’re dead set on removing it from circulation, some localities host gun buybacks but I’m not sure how profitable it would be. Los Angeles for example gave gun owners grocery gift cards. Many police departments will also destroy guns and ammunition as well but you won’t make any money.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Where do you live?

Central Ohio. I had gotten an ad in the mail for this place and was going to call them tomorrow

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Easiest and fastest way is to call the police and ask them pick them up and dispose of them. No money.

Sell/consign them to a gun store/licensed pawn shop. Those guys are required to do background checks to sell them. They obviously take a cut of the pie so you get less money, but it's simple and off your mind quick.

Or interact with gun owners and sell via private sale, and only transfer them via an FFL/gun store who can run the background check for you. Takes time to advertise and you have to go and interact with tire kickers and flakers.

In your situation I would just sell them to a gun store and get cash right away and not have to worry about it.

Gun buybacks typically give very small amounts of money like $50-100 for a rifle worth up to $500 or more. And it's sometimes it's not cash, just in the form of an Amazon gift card or the like.

Edit: also consider swinging by the firing range newbie question thread with pictures and a description and they can help value your stuff so you won't get completely hosed by the store

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 4, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

Easiest and fastest way is to call the police and ask them pick them up and dispose of them. No money.

Sell/consign them to a gun store/licensed pawn shop. Those guys are required to do background checks to sell them. They obviously take a cut of the pie so you get less money, but it's simple and off your mind quick.

Or interact with gun owners and sell via private sale, and only transfer them via an FFL/gun store who can run the background check for you. Takes time to advertise and you have to go and interact with tire kickers and flakers.

In your situation I would just sell them to a gun store and get cash right away and not have to worry about it.

Gun buybacks typically give very small amounts of money like $50-100 for a rifle worth up to $500 or more. And it's sometimes it's not cash, just in the form of an Amazon gift card or the like.

Edit: also consider swinging by the firing range newbie question thread with pictures and a description and they can help value your stuff so you won't get completely hosed by the store

That's extremely helpful, thanks!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In an episode of NCIS, and probably a few other cop shows, the main character shoots a hostage taker, by shooting the guy through the hostage he had (the hostage gave a little consenting nod), and I'm wondering, what kind of legal trouble does that lead to for the shooter? Would the shooter be on the hook for an assault charge?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah TFR's got you covered. I can't imagine any other place I would start if I were in your position.

While I was typing that, it occurred to me maybe you could sell them to a firing range? If I put firearms in someone else's hands I'd feel pretty good about where them ending up there.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

That depends, was the hostage white?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Ouch

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Can anyone identify the poster in this shot?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mister Kingdom posted:

Very similar to Pearl Jam's logo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mister Kingdom posted:

TinEye gave me this.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Leavemywife posted:

In an episode of NCIS, and probably a few other cop shows, the main character shoots a hostage taker, by shooting the guy through the hostage he had (the hostage gave a little consenting nod), and I'm wondering, what kind of legal trouble does that lead to for the shooter? Would the shooter be on the hook for an assault charge?
Defense of necessity should work here, presuming there was an actual reason to believe shooting the hostage would result in the best outcome.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is it a dumb idea for me to buy a cheapish motorbike (£1000-2000) to make commutes to work and back easier? A lot of job listings are 30-40 minutes drive, but ramp up to 1h 30 mins during rush hour. It's stopping me from applying for these potential jobs cause I'm not about to sign up to a 3 hour roundtrip commute. Public transport isn't an option either, as the times are just as long as I would need to commute to the city centre central hub, then on from there.

I was going to work for a month to save up for a deposit, then just buy the bike and start commuting with that. Good idea / bad idea? Any commuters who use a motorbike able to chip in?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just bought a new laptop and it's running in "S Mode", which means that I can't install any apps except through the Windows Store - which requires a Microsoft account, which I absolutely do not want.

The instructions for turning S Mode off say to do so through the Windows store - which requires a Microsoft account, which I absolutely do not want.

Is there any way around this?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

The only thing that made my daily commute into and out of San Francisco (~55 miles/89 km) worthwhile was the ability to use my motorcycle. Having a consistent 1-hour commute rather than a trip time that could vary between 1.75 and 2.5 hours each way was an enormous benefit.

Add in (at the time) no parking fees for motorcycles, no bridge tolls (upward of $7/£6 per day), and way better fuel economy, it meant much more of my paycheck was going to things like food and entertainment than just getting to and from work.

Of course, the downside was that I got run over and dragged on the freeway after a year and a half. Bike was totaled, court case got messy, and while she was found guilty of hit-and-run in the end, by the time a verdict was returned (~18 months later) I had nearly gone crazy from trying to make the commute in my car. I left that job and found something much closer to home, albeit accordingly lower-paying.

If I still had to drive that far for work (current commute is 30-45 minutes each way, which is pretty standard for around here), I’d seriously consider picking up another bike.

Obviously YMMV

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Tiggum posted:

I just bought a new laptop and it's running in "S Mode", which means that I can't install any apps except through the Windows Store - which requires a Microsoft account, which I absolutely do not want.

The instructions for turning S Mode off say to do so through the Windows store - which requires a Microsoft account, which I absolutely do not want.

Are you sure you need a microsoft account? At work I download an app from the store a bunch and just close every single window when it asks me to log in and then it installs the program anyways. I guess this depends what you're trying to do in the store but it might work.

Otherwise, just make a throwaway microsoft account and then disable it after? Or get a windows 10 usb stick and reinstall the whole thing from scratch.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Assuming the hostage consented they could just opt to not press charges.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

Or get a windows 10 usb stick and reinstall the whole thing from scratch.

The laptop doesn't seem to have a sticker with a product key on it like they always used to have. How do I verify I own a legit copy of Windows if I reinstall from scratch?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Tiggum posted:

The laptop doesn't seem to have a sticker with a product key on it like they always used to have. How do I verify I own a legit copy of Windows if I reinstall from scratch?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/find-windows-product-key-after-upgrading-windows-10/

E: DL link in article is wrong. Should be: https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/find-your-windows-10-product-key/

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 5, 2019

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Or you could just boot with the install usb and it will fetch the key from the bios.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tiggum posted:

What's what's so bad about having a Windows account that you prefer trying to handicap your new OS? How do you even log in? I thought you needed a Windows account to do that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

greazeball posted:

What's what's so bad about having a Windows account that you prefer trying to handicap your new OS? How do you even log in? I thought you needed a Windows account to do that.

Well, for one thing I just have no use for it so I don't want an additional account and password for no reason. As for how I log in, I just have a local account same as I always have with every Windows computer I've ever owned. It didn't even ask me to create or log in to a Microsoft account when I set this computer up, so local accounts are the default again I guess. And regardless of whether I actually create myself a Microsoft account or not, I've no interest in using the Windows store so it really doesn't handicap the OS in any way that I'll ever notice.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Flipperwaldt posted:

TinEye gave me this.

Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

Is it a dumb idea for me to buy a cheapish motorbike (£1000-2000) to make commutes to work and back easier? A lot of job listings are 30-40 minutes drive, but ramp up to 1h 30 mins during rush hour. It's stopping me from applying for these potential jobs cause I'm not about to sign up to a 3 hour roundtrip commute. Public transport isn't an option either, as the times are just as long as I would need to commute to the city centre central hub, then on from there.

I was going to work for a month to save up for a deposit, then just buy the bike and start commuting with that. Good idea / bad idea? Any commuters who use a motorbike able to chip in?

The dumb thing about it is not just moving to be closer to your job if you get it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Anybody here every try cauliflower-crust pizza? Is it worth it? Slight difference in calories, significant difference in carbs, but if it doesn't taste good I'm not going to eat it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Anybody here every try cauliflower-crust pizza? Is it worth it? Slight difference in calories, significant difference in carbs, but if it doesn't taste good I'm not going to eat it.

The problem, generally, with alternatives to bread isn't that they taste bad, it's that they're distinctly not bread. You cannot fool yourself into thinking you're eating bread when you're not.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Qubee posted:

You need to budget for the bike and a decent helmet and a protective jacket and leather gloves and good boots and a strong lock and chain and a set of waterproofs and tax and insurance and training for the CBT.

Then realise that commuting will be fun for 4 months of the year, tolerable for 4 months and downright miserable for 4.

tuyop posted:

The dumb thing about it is not just moving to be closer to your job if you get it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lincoln posted:

I've had some frozen pizzas with cauliflower crusts (I think it was an Oprah brand maybe) and I thought it was decent. Different from a proper crust made with 00 flour, but still tasty. Buy one and try it. Even if it's not your jam, I can't imagine anyone would find it inedible.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

Well, for one thing I just have no use for it so I don't want an additional account and password for no reason. As for how I log in, I just have a local account same as I always have with every Windows computer I've ever owned. It didn't even ask me to create or log in to a Microsoft account when I set this computer up, so local accounts are the default again I guess. And regardless of whether I actually create myself a Microsoft account or not, I've no interest in using the Windows store so it really doesn't handicap the OS in any way that I'll ever notice.

It sounds like you do have an interest in using it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

It sounds like you do have an interest in using it

No? The thing I specifically want to do is not use it. If it did turn out that I had to sign up just to get out of using it, that would be the one and only time I would ever interact with it. If you build a Mcdonald's between my house and the street, the fact that I pass through it by necessity on my way to anywhere else does not indicate that I have any interest in visiting McDonald's.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

70s af

Lincoln posted:

Do you hate cauliflower? I'm guessing no since you're asking this. So just try it and find out.

I was unaware of cauliflower crust myself, and I love cauliflower so ima try fer sherr.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Cauliflower crust tastes good if you like cauliflower. It tastes like cauliflower, not like pizza crust. (I like it.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

Or get a windows 10 usb stick and reinstall the whole thing from scratch.

In case anyone else is tempted to try it, this does not work. It doesn't even ask you if you want S mode, it just enables it automatically, putting you right back where you started after several wasted hours.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tuyop posted:

that depends a lot on where you live. someplace like the bay area buying a motorbike to reduce commute times makes a lot more sense than moving closer to the job since the latter is just may not be a financially realistic option. im guessing OP is in London which im told has a similar situation at the moment

Shut up Meg posted:

Then realise that commuting will be fun for 4 months of the year, tolerable for 4 months and downright miserable for 4.

another thing that depends very much on your location

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

tuyop posted:

If only, but life isn't always that simple. Moved here cause partner had a guaranteed job and I'm planning on moving to another city after a year, so figured I'd take the hit and move here since I wasn't planning on anything permanent. Career advancement is more important for her than it is for me, as well. Not in London but in one of the most populated cities in the UK.

Rush hour commute times is atrocious. Just wanted a solution that would let me look farther out and not make me lose my sanity every day by leaving the house at 6am and getting home at 7pm.