Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Climate change is fun because instead of making a Mad Max hellscape it's just going to make you lose your job and be poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I've played around with it some. Just as infuriating as the old Oregon trail.

That makes me happy.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Paradoxish posted:

Climate change is fun because instead of making a Mad Max hellscape it's just going to make you lose your job and be poor.
We've totally got Mad Max hellscapes, they're just over in Syria and Yemen.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Paradoxish posted:

we'll get the hellscape, you just have to wait for it

goons have universally been poisoned by the christian view of the apocalypse, which is just a wave of fire washes over the land and instantly everyone's either dead or transformed into a spiky guy on a motorcycle. you also see this when they talk about nuclear war or pandemics. it's the collective fantasy of a people without patience or memory

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Even Mad Max hellscape didn't happen overnight. In the first film there was still some sort of (decaying) infrastructure, a police force, some form of government, etc.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Marching down the toilet carrying our lord and savior, Number, on their dumpster fire throne.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm starting to realise that 99% of the population has no imagination whatsoever and that is actually a major part of the inertia behind climate change. they literally cannot imagine a world different to the one in which they currently live, and so the possibility of the world changing just doesn't enter their heads except when a movie gives them something to picture when they think about their future

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nankeen posted:

i'm starting to realise that 99% of the population has no imagination whatsoever and that is actually a major part of the inertia behind climate change. they literally cannot imagine a world different to the one in which they currently live, and so the possibility of the world changing just doesn't enter their heads except when a movie gives them something to picture when they think about their future

Poor nankeen, thought of behavioral sociology and died

Zaurg But A Horse
Apr 14, 2019

Zaurg? Neigh!

nankeen posted:

My hellscape involves lots of flies. Will climate change kill the flies?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaurg But A Horse posted:

My hellscape involves lots of flies. Will climate change kill the flies?

no.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

It will kill the flies you're used to, horrible biting ones will invade from the tropics and lay eggs in you as replacements.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I've played around with it some. Just as infuriating as the old Oregon trail.

For the full infuriating experience you had to play Oregon Trail in elementary school weekly when we had computer class or whatever they called it, but no matter how well you were doing at the game you never had quite enough time to finish it before you were forced to turn the computer off and go back to regular class. I swear it was some psychological experiment.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
that's why u pick grueling + bare bones every time

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

1glitch0 posted:

For the full infuriating experience you had to play Oregon Trail in elementary school weekly when we had computer class or whatever they called it, but no matter how well you were doing at the game you never had quite enough time to finish it before you were forced to turn the computer off and go back to regular class. I swear it was some psychological experiment.

Every...goddamn....week... just make it to Colorado Springs, and then off to Math class. Bullshit :regd08:

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1169631970537508865?s=19

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Past few days the Arctic has been back to losing 100k km2, up to 10% in some places. Pretty large cracks are visible through clouds up to 89°N.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

tiberion02 posted:

Every...goddamn....week... just make it to Colorado Springs, and then off to Math class. Bullshit :regd08:

We were doubled up on computers and if we messed up and lost like a quarter way through class we just gave up and started talking because we knew it was hopeless to try again. Why "computer class" was just having everyone play Oregon Trail on Macs is... a whole other discussion I suppose. I wonder how prevalent that was in schools in the 80s and if it was, why.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

We were doubled up on computers and if we messed up and lost like a quarter way through class we just gave up and started talking because we knew it was hopeless to try again. Why "computer class" was just having everyone play Oregon Trail on Macs is... a whole other discussion I suppose. I wonder how prevalent that was in schools in the 80s and if it was, why.

It was everywhere and because it was a reward for whatever pointless BASIC programming or 'how to use a dial up modem' lesson they were struggling to teach you because for as many clueless people WRT computers there are today it was pretty much everybody back in the 80s. Also the game was one of the first attempts at infotainment and so could be excused with 'its educational!' if people objected to kids playing vidja games in school.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Oracle posted:

It was everywhere and because it was a reward for whatever pointless BASIC programming or 'how to use a dial up modem' lesson they were struggling to teach you because for as many clueless people WRT computers there are today it was pretty much everybody back in the 80s. Also the game was one of the first attempts at infotainment and so could be excused with 'its educational!' if people objected to kids playing vidja games in school.

Maybe they could use the "it's educational" excuse, but I was certainly not being taught BASIC programming in 3rd grade and modems were years away.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Is it realistic to say that societal collapse will happen in the next 8 - 15 years?

But, look, science and technology are going to change. And as it changes, we learn more, we can do more. I mean, I'd love to do it by 2030. I'd love to do it by 2035, in terms of net zero emissions, but I know no scientist who says that's able to be done right now. But one thing we have to do, we have to start quickly, we have to start and do things that we know can be done immediately, and progress from there and just keep moving. There's a lot we have to do by 2030 just to set in place a set of institutional structures that mean you can't turn it around, like this president has done, the few things that were, in fact, in place.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

1glitch0 posted:

In elementary school, I remember one pair of students made it to rafting the Columbia before computer class ended, and the entire class was crowded around their computer in awe.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

1glitch0 posted:

I have SAVE GAME in the Climate Trail.

No thanks to me, it's a Ren'Py feature.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Maybe they could use the "it's educational" excuse, but I was certainly not being taught BASIC programming in 3rd grade and modems were years away.

My elementary school in the early 90's had us do typing practice and Number Munchers for the learning part of computer class.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

My elementary school in the early 90's had us do typing practice and Number Munchers for the learning part of computer class.

My daughter, in HS, set the Mavis Beacon typing speed record at some insane level like 160wpm. Early 2000's.

Edit from her "Oh geeze I think i got up to 165 at one point"

Probabily because I had computers around since she was born.

I spent 5 years (late 1990's) at what was probabily (inflation adjusted) the largest educational software startup ever. The Lightspan Partnership. $125m invested by TCI, Comcast and Microsoft.

Anyway, back to my Climate Trail game ... I'm open to suggestions on how to get the word out, but I suspect I have to get the mobile versions done to really get use.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 5, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why is putting a fossil fuel into a vehicle a manly thing?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmdkN6MOwU

E: didn't realize this was a repost, my bad.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 5, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I find the whole Tesla car thing interesting.

Due to living in the Bay Area, Teslas are now the "I have a golden iphone" of cars. Like I can completely assume the vast majority of owners just bought them since they are insanely expensive and an easy way to show off but without driving like a Bugati or something completely impractical (and 'hey come steal this').

It just so happens that they are electric cars-- I am sure most owners don't care beyond the fact that they are driving the same cars that all of the other rich people do.

If only we could make Nuclear power that cool to rich people or something :[

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
consumer goods and industrial infrastructure are different things, hth

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

jeeves posted:

Due to living in the Bay Area, Teslas are now the "I have a golden iphone" of cars. Like I can completely assume the vast majority of owners just bought them since they are insanely expensive and an easy way to show off but without driving like a Bugati or something completely impractical (and 'hey come steal this').

It just so happens that they are electric cars-- I am sure most owners don't care beyond the fact that they are driving the same cars that all of the other rich people do.

One of the homes in my area has a: Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, and a Tesla Model X.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

StabbinHobo posted:

they don't have to be

RTGs for everyone!!!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

RTGs for everyone!!!

do not attempt to open the RTG casing, as this will void the warranty

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

VideoGameVet posted:

One of the homes in my area has a: Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, and a Tesla Model X.

Leaf for in town. Boly for in state Model x for in county travels.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

jeeves posted:

StabbinHobo posted:

I guess I meant that more as "hey do something that is marginally less destructive for the environment the 'cool' option to most people in our culture"

Of course, don't ask the Tanzanian slave labor who is mining away for the batteries of Tesla what they think of them amirite?

edit - I remember one of the first times that I ever realized that adults could be idiots was when I was in 7th grade and I was arguing with my creationist/Republican/idiot science teacher about how electric cars sound better than gas. She kept saying "well you got to burn coal to make the electricity so might as well use gas" and I remember she has no answer to "what about solar/hydro/nuclear?" Granted this was like 1993 so electric cars were probably not as efficient as now but still.

I don't know what is the take away from that story-- that I had a super idiot teacher or that I must have been an insufferable youth?

edit2 - oh yeah she was the head of the science department also. Plus that was the year the Super Mario Brother movie came out so I realized that not only could adults be idiots but they could also make terrible movies.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 5, 2019

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no you are not right, you sound like a shitposting teenager

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jeeves posted:

Ditching an ICE Vehicle is one of the best things (and practical) anyone is able to reduce their individual carbon footprint. I think around 2030 the majority of countries won’t allow new ICE vehicles sales.

When the model y comes out next year I hope I can get a pre-owned 3 that’s a bit more affordable.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tab8715 posted:

Ditching an ICE Vehicle is one of the best things (and practical) anyone is able to reduce their individual carbon footprint. I think around 2030 the majority of countries won’t allow new ICE vehicles sales.

When the model y comes out next year I hope I can get a pre-owned 3 that’s a bit more affordable.

Banning ICE vehicles and running everything electric would increase fossil fuel yields.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Electric cars are not the answer, public transportation, reversal of sprawl, outlawing of cruises, a huge air travel tax, (at least close to a)banning of plastics in packaging, severe limitation of beef and pork, outlawing of AC, and a clean (nuclear/renewable) grid is...all in the next ten years at this point.

It's so easy, I can't see why we're not doing it already.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nail Rat posted:

Electric cars are not the answer, public transportation, reversal of sprawl, outlawing of cruises, a huge air travel tax, (at least close to a)banning of plastics in packaging, severe limitation of beef and pork, outlawing of AC, and a clean (nuclear/renewable) grid is...all in the next ten years at this point.

No, they’re not and I’d prefer public transportation like what you have in Europe but on the subject of ICE Vehicles places from California, France and China are looking for ways off of them as soon as possible which includes an eventual ban.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nail Rat posted:

Everything you just said comes down to a reversal of consumerism. If we cant ban plastic straws because its communism we definitely cant ban AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Humanity will fight itself to the bloody, miserable death to keep its AC & ICE for just... a little... longer :negative: