Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The first part of 7 deadly sins is very entertaining as the good guys basically bullshit their way through the story being hilariously overpowered and having a gay old time.
Then Escanor is introduced. Like the sun, after his introduction he somehow becomes the brightest thing in the Manga which unfortunately means the rest pales.

The final stretch has unfortunately been pretty meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
chainsawman ftw

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Interesting that after chapters of getting the "Denji has lost his ability to connect with or care about people!" narrative he still protects that woman on the train.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seven deadly sins is so-so but escanor is easily one of the best shounen characters of the decade

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
You'd think a guy who's power boils down to he always wins would be boring but no.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Every time I see 7DS come up in here people moan about how bad or mediocre it is (aside from Escanor) and I can't help but wonder if this is a recent development in the manga stuff I haven't seen or if I'm just in the minority, because having only watched the anime I kinda love it. It's obviously not perfect but I like how it's a huge cast insanely powerful weirdos with interweaving motives and emotions and allegiances at any given time (the only one that continuously frustrates me is King, whose conflicts never feel like anything more than him being misinformed or stubborn, or both). It's got a unique energy to it that sets it apart from something like Fairy Tail, at least to me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Meliodas being a huge creep made 7DS an instant non-starter for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the meliodas/elizabeth dynamic definitely sucked for a long time. the connection that's revealed later is interesting but it's way too little, too late. the sex pervert joke character isn't supposed to be the protagonist. I wish that archetype would just die already. also ban's girlfriend is a problem. at least keep her dead so that one knight's subplot with ban isn't pointless

the series on the whole is solid if that stuff doesn't put you off. it has good art, some memorable characters, and the plot isn't the kind of forgettable nothingness that fairy tail or black clover suffer from. it's like a c+. nobody will ever talk about it again within a year of it ending

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The Meliodas/Elizabeth gags were way worse super early on when they and Hawk were the only characters in the story. Once Diane and the other Sins started joining the crew they were less heavily concentrated and were easier to deal with, at least for me.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Blockhouse posted:

Interesting that after chapters of getting the "Denji has lost his ability to connect with or care about people!" narrative he still protects that woman on the train.

As has been pointed out, Denji wasn't all that connected to people in the first place. He might not be demon-souled so much as just kinda jaded.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Meliodas being a huge creep made 7DS an instant non-starter for me.
I mean there's a reason it gets compared to Fairy Tail ya?

7DS is trash so if you're not in the mood for trash it isn't any good. And like Fairy Tail I actively feel like I'm supposed to not remember because the plot is actively contradictory.

Blockhouse posted:

It's so wild that in between looking like a modern Splatterhouse that CSM manages to squeak in a really interesting set of ideas about heroism and emotional connections as a hero. Or something, but poo poo, that manga is real good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Deadly Sins pulls off character moments really well time to time, like really 10/10 stuff.

Escanor seeing Merlin as the sun in his nightmare and transforming out of it was really really good and one of my favorite moments in the series.

"Because that is what a sun does" was a really good line

Edit: also Elaine was never gonna stay dead because this is following Arthurian legend and "King Ban" and her are Lancelot's parents if I recall correctly... Which uh if you recall how that all turns out for Arthur, lol

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 8, 2019

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Oxxidation posted:

seven deadly sins is so-so but escanor is easily one of the best shounen characters of the decade

Escanor vs. Estarossa is hype as gently caress. Well worth reading up to that point.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
they never explain WHY escanor has his power which is disappointing

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Every time I see 7DS come up in here people moan about how bad or mediocre it is (aside from Escanor) and I can't help but wonder if this is a recent development in the manga stuff I haven't seen or if I'm just in the minority, because having only watched the anime I kinda love it. It's obviously not perfect but I like how it's a huge cast insanely powerful weirdos with interweaving motives and emotions and allegiances at any given time (the only one that continuously frustrates me is King, whose conflicts never feel like anything more than him being misinformed or stubborn, or both). It's got a unique energy to it that sets it apart from something like Fairy Tail, at least to me.

I'm pretty sure the anime covers the first "part" of the manga at least which is still when the series did have that energy and snappy pacing to it and it was moving towards a more clear endgame than the current objective. I believe it's also covered the introduction of the 10 commandments and their introductory chapters are good at first before the problems with the series start to manifest, the fights still are hype but honestly Zeldris and his shenanigans become a drag on the series as well as Meliodas because of his personal history and angst chewing a lot more of the comic than need be. The series also has always had a hard time making the whole cast of sins relevant and mostly re-treads the same plot beats for the Fairy King, Giantess, and Ban. The latter of who was largely useless for most of the series despite initially being presented as someone on par with Meliodas to some degree.

I don't think it's as bad as Fairy Tail even at it's worse because that series started mediocre and went bad fairly quick. 7DS lost me some time a couple years ago but I just stick my head back when Escanor is doing literally anything because that's when a little of that charm and excitement I liked about the series rears it's beautiful and incandescent head.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Relin posted:

they never explain WHY escanor has his power which is disappointing

yes it does

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think at this point I can officially say that Samurai 8 is not very good.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It needs to get its poo poo in gear. Too much exposition and what little action there is, is basic as gently caress shonen fodder.
Also I guess a princess is basically there to make food for the hero and really wishing he gets stronger? Glad to see Kishimoto is still Kishimoto when it comes to his female characters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

still better than sakura tho. or hinata tbh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Kishimoto is able to make decent women characters, just his heroine's are rote.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

HerraS posted:

seven deadly sins introduced power levels and then made them conpletely meaningless in such quick fashion it would make dragonball blush
Was it faster than One Piece or Toriko? One Piece only used them for like a single chapter, but Toriko temporarily turned power levels into a numerical energy source complete with resource bars for one arc but then immediately scrapped it after the arc finished.

EDIT: also yeah Samurai 8 loving sucks. "You're a Samurai!! Remember the Trinity! Your soul is your blade! Your dog is your armor! And your princess... Stays offscreen and prays and I guess that helps too!" Fuckin' hell is that tacked on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Was it faster than One Piece or Toriko? One Piece only used them for like a single chapter, but Toriko temporarily turned power levels into a numerical energy source complete with resource bars for one arc but then immediately scrapped it after the arc finished.

EDIT: also yeah Samurai 8 loving sucks. "You're a Samurai!! Remember the Trinity! Your soul is your blade! Your dog is your armor! And your princess... Stays offscreen and prays and I guess that helps too!" Fuckin' hell is that tacked on.

One Piece's was a joke from one character though.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Jose posted:

yes it does
"he got it from an angel" doesnt really explain it...why did a human get his powers while the angel was dormant

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also aren't Bounty numbers are pretty much power levels for all except the gag characters

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

nah, they even made a point of telling you when Kidd was first introduced that the reason he had a higher bounty than the main hero was because he actually liked murdering civilians and being a proper rear end in a top hat pirate

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dexo posted:

Also aren't Bounty numbers are pretty much power levels for all except the gag characters

Its shorthand for how big of a deal a character is in the OP world.
Either because they punch real good, know the true secrets or pissed off a bunch of nobles.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like that the plot for SDS mostly only works by assuming that Meliodas is either a pathological liar or an incredible dick. It's why I liked the movie on Netflix so much, it's prime Meliodas.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Escanor vs. Estarossa is hype as gently caress. Well worth reading up to that point.

Escanor vs Meliodas was excellent as well. Escanor is basically great in virtually everything.

Brought To You By posted:

I'm pretty sure the anime covers the first "part" of the manga at least which is still when the series did have that energy and snappy pacing to it and it was moving towards a more clear endgame than the current objective. I believe it's also covered the introduction of the 10 commandments and their introductory chapters are good at first before the problems with the series start to manifest, the fights still are hype but honestly Zeldris and his shenanigans become a drag on the series as well as Meliodas because of his personal history and angst chewing a lot more of the comic than need be. The series also has always had a hard time making the whole cast of sins relevant and mostly re-treads the same plot beats for the Fairy King, Giantess, and Ban. The latter of who was largely useless for most of the series despite initially being presented as someone on par with Meliodas to some degree.

I don't think it's as bad as Fairy Tail even at it's worse because that series started mediocre and went bad fairly quick. 7DS lost me some time a couple years ago but I just stick my head back when Escanor is doing literally anything because that's when a little of that charm and excitement I liked about the series rears it's beautiful and incandescent head.

Yes. Once the Sins start striking back against the Commandments (which coincides with the introduction of Escanor), the series loses a lot of luster.
It's a real shame.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Oh man... I just saw this posted on the Viz site

It speaks volumes that even the people selling the product, don't know what to say about it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NEW CHAINSAWMAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaIfUbb96WE&t=167s

*Sounds of Nuts cracking*

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fujimoto is just the best. This is literally a revenge scene everyone has wanted for some ratfucker of a villain in anything they've ever watched or read but knew would never happen.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Something seems different about Power... did she change her hair?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Power leveled up, she's now Power Squared! :eng101:

Also loving Denji's contest.
Amazingly, the way he got Hayakawa involved actually shows the Katana devil was completely wrong and Denji still has compassion.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Fujimoto is just the best. This is literally a revenge scene everyone has wanted for some ratfucker of a villain in anything they've ever watched or read but knew would never happen.

The best part is he was going to hold this contest no matter who was there. So I guess he'd be going for his own personal high score if he went about it solo.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

jfc chainsawman is the best loving thing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I know it doesn't get talked about much here or at all, but dang the latest chapter of Haikyuu.

Feels like it's speeding towards an ending. Or a timeskip,

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Goddamn! Chainsawman.
They're bonding :)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know it doesn't get talked about much here or at all, but dang the latest chapter of Haikyuu.

Feels like it's speeding towards an ending. Or a timeskip,

Just caught up and holy poo poo I did not see that coming.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
In the latest We Can't Study, we greet the newest member of Nariyuki's harem, Truck-kun.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Isekai! Isekai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mirage posted:

In the latest We Can't Study, we greet the newest member of Nariyuki's harem, Truck-kun.

:ohdear:

Just want to point out that the SekijoXRizu ship has docked. It warmed my heart seeing them study together.

So I guess after this exam we have some time to kill before they get to do their university exams which may be the real ending point?