Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

My friend's new house has a loft conversion done in maybe 2014 and the power to it failed, and to a socket on the floor below, if you're thinking "uh oh" you're right.. The entire loft was powered off a spur from that one socket, and it was all on a 60s era hand wired fuse box (with probably the wrong amperage wire in it) .

The electrician they got round said "whoever did this was a fuckwit", and that the spur had pre 2014 wire colours so my guess is that there was a socket up there pre conversion that they just reused for *everything* when they did it.

I smugly just replaced my own messed up fuse boxes with a brand new consumer unit and they were nowhere close to that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

My Lovely Horse posted:

How do you guys feel about the idea of a carpeted sauna

I had to gis this and oh gently caress

caption: "white stains on sauna bench and carpet" :barf: (it could be just calcium residue or other dirt, but in a hotel like this I wouldn't want to take my chances)

quote:

I know we have higher standards than the housekeeping staff at most hotels and we try to be objective with things like cleanliness of a room.....so I won't be mentioning anything about the stains on the carpets, the worn edges on the stairs, the rusty fireplace parts, the lack of a fake log in the fireplace, the tattered curtains, the dirty floor in the sauna, the grit on the floor of the pool area, the mirror in the bathroom that was hazy, and the general unkempt look of the bedroom and the circular bed.

Ah......the bed. I would be willing to bet that the mfr of these beds went out of business soon after this place bought them...because its my opinion that they are still the same ones that the place opened with. I cannot for the life of me......think of a reason a hotel will not replace a worn out mattress......which needed to be replaced the LAST time we were there. It's the very foundation for what a hotel is supposed to offer its customers.....a decent place to lie down on.

We wanted to go in one of the steam rooms...but one was closed for service and the other one did not work. The sauna wouldn't get hot enough after a 20 minute warmup to make me sweat.

of course that kind of sauna won't work, if that image shows all of it, because at most your head will feel some heat while your toes are freezing. Sauna benches need to be situated so that your feet are at stove level or above.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 7, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

quote:

Ah......the bed. I would be willing to bet that the mfr of these beds went out of business soon after this place bought them...because its my opinion that they are still the same ones that the place opened with. I cannot for the life of me......think of a reason a hotel will not replace a worn out mattress......which needed to be replaced the LAST time we were there. It's the very foundation for what a hotel is supposed to offer its customers.....a decent place to lie down on.

They went back?

Nenonen posted:

of course that kind of sauna won't work, if that image shows all of it, because at most your head will feel some heat while your toes are freezing. Sauna benches need to be situated so that your feet are at stove level or above.

My Summer Car disagrees with you.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My personal favorite hotel experiences were the Queens Blvd Best Western that was renting my room hourly when I was out: came back to find a line of coke and a used condom in the bathroom. And the hotel in Utica that hadn't washed all of the blood off of the jacuzzi.

https://twitter.com/wurp/status/1064225154492964864?s=19

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The coke line must have been a nice bonus but I hope you went to reception to ask for a clean condom

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

The coke line must have been a nice bonus but I hope you went to reception to ask for a clean condom

There's already a sink in the room.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Just wanna say here that dealing with the original wiring in a house built in 1947 sure is an experience. Ugh.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dr.Smasher posted:

Just wanna say here that dealing with the original wiring in a house built in 1947 sure is an experience. Ugh.

Knob and tube or asbestos cloth?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Knob and tube or asbestos cloth?

Yes.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Pretty sure it's cloth. What's in the walls is staying there, I just want a ceiling fan in the bedroom.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My personal favorite hotel experiences were the Queens Blvd Best Western that was renting my room hourly when I was out: came back to find a line of coke and a used condom in the bathroom. And the hotel in Utica that hadn't washed all of the blood off of the jacuzzi.

https://twitter.com/wurp/status/1064225154492964864?s=19

Sounds like something off Another Dirty Room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joj8Tn5Nn84

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
While there were some choices made during the construction or remodeling of this house and I'm pretty sure at least one room has massive water damage on its ceiling, that isn't the real reason I'm posting it https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-magill-131914778

Moatman fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 8, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I love this guy

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Moatman posted:

While there were some awesome choices made during the construction or remodeling of this house.

It even comes with a murder room!

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

H110Hawk posted:

It even comes with a murder room!

Murder rooms, plural

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Moatman posted:

Murder rooms, plural

A murder suite if you will.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Moatman posted:

While there were some choices made during the construction or remodeling of this house and I'm pretty sure at least one room has massive water damage on its ceiling, that isn't the real reason I'm posting it https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-magill-131914778

Saw the Alice Cooper picture, still wasn't prepared for the basement.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Saw the Alice Cooper picture, still wasn't prepared for the basement.

Is there like a law that demands every creepy house have a straight up torture basement? for a moment I thought I'm watching some 1960's schlock film.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

By popular demand posted:

Is there like a law that demands every creepy house have a straight up torture basement? for a moment I thought I'm watching some 1960's schlock film.

Without the torture basement people might think you were going for Grandma Gothic. The Alice Cooper portrait alone might not be enough to tip the scales. Gotta make sure everyone knows your house is creepy, not quaint.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

By popular demand posted:

Well, they're history and learning, not sports and crap.
Check out their basement, they're workin' on a torture rack!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm the Donnie Darko Devil/Rabbit quietly judging your sins against the mother church.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

Well, they're history and learning, not sports and crap.
Check out their basement, they're workin' on a torture rack!

Fuckin weebs

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

This is pretty amazing:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1G3eqjhJSC/

(That guy's whole channel is great. Thanks to Youth Decay for the link.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

it's a haunted house you guys sheesh

available year round, for personal reasons

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
They really hosed up by not putting that doll in the red chair into an old-timey electric chair.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

"Worst BAT Mitzvah I've ever been to. get it? bat."
"The little guy at the top looks sad"
"Yeah he's having some self image issues about the fangs"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Did the electrician play 'pin the tail on the donkey' or something?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Aside from the obvious misplacement of the electrical connection, is a ceiling recess for a chandelier an actual thing? Seems an odd choice to put some ornate stuff on the ceiling, then recess it so you can only see it when you look up past a bunch of bright lights from underneath.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

They put a drop ceiling below the original ceiling.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nielsm posted:

They put a drop ceiling below the original ceiling.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Way back in the day when chandeliers used candles, a recess would've helped contain the soot stains.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
At a guess, the original ceiling didn't have room for the recessed light cans. Almost makes me wonder if it is a historical building and they are not allowed to remove any original structure? Which might explain why they went with an offset chandelier, so as not to damage the plaster medallion.

Or they're just idiots, which is probably more accurate.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wheatpuppy posted:

At a guess, the original ceiling didn't have room for the recessed light cans. Almost makes me wonder if it is a historical building and they are not allowed to remove any original structure? Which might explain why they went with an offset chandelier, so as not to damage the plaster medallion.

Or they're just idiots, which is probably more accurate.

There's also the swag set up for chandeliers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

There's also the swag set up for chandeliers.

Which would be the easy way to fix this. But without seeing the floor it's not clear if that would put the lighting over an inconvenient spot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wheatpuppy posted:

At a guess, the original ceiling didn't have room for the recessed light cans.

O.K. but why are they wedded to recessed can lighting?

Any other lamp would be less of an eyesore than this.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Normally the sight of a chandelier makes me think "eat the rich". This just makes me furious.
It looks like those shelves have a collection of old projectors, and guitar amps? I think it may be in a bar or something. That's bugging me too.
Maybe it's just me, idk.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 9, 2019

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I had to gis this and oh gently caress

caption: "white stains on sauna bench and carpet" :barf: (it could be just calcium residue or other dirt, but in a hotel like this I wouldn't want to take my chances)

I ... actually spent a few days at that place with my wife, many years ago. I don't remember any dubious stains or if the sauna was carpeted or not. I do remember the sauna was about the size of a phone booth, which kind of defeats the purpose if it's supposed to be a romantic couples room.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm the guy in the mirror pulling my pants up after taking a monster poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but why are they wedded to recessed can lighting?

Any other lamp would be less of an eyesore than this.

Sprinkler lines look to be in the drop ceiling as well.