Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Why can't you get parts? An old American press is going to be far far better than the Grizzly.

What's it need? Bearings are available for the motor for sure, and the quill bearings are likely available as NOS. Anything else?

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/PM%201150A%20VS%20bearings%20and%20Spindle.ashx

Rebuild instructions... Doesn't look complicated.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

sharkytm posted:

Why can't you get parts? An old American press is going to be far far better than the Grizzly.

What's it need? Bearings are available for the motor for sure, and the quill bearings are likely available as NOS. Anything else?

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/PM%201150A%20VS%20bearings%20and%20Spindle.ashx

Rebuild instructions... Doesn't look complicated.
Thanks, that’s actually very helpful. My plan is indeed to rebuild it, but I know that’s going to be a slow process for me. I got it basically for free, and put it right to work and haven’t been able to really dig into what it needs. I tried getting a new belt for it (it’s some odd belt) and got nowhere with the current powermatic people or the people that bought all the new old parts stock, I figured parts generally might be hard to come by but didn’t dig that deep. It runs very loud and vibrates a lot-probably a spindle bearing problem?- and I’m not sure the motor shaft/sheave pulleys aren’t a little bent or otherwise wonky as well. Motor itself seems to be fairly new-good American 3/4hp Baldor.

I need a drill press in the meantime anyway, and having two would have the advantage down the road of being able to leave one set up for certain things. The powermatic also only a 15” swing and that has been frustrating at times.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I need a new drill press because my old powermatic 1150 was much abused in a past life and vibrates like hell and needs rebuilding and I can’t get parts for it and it has bad ergonomics anyway.

I’ve been looking at this Grizzly https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-20-Floor-Drill-Press/G7948
and it seems fine and they’re having a sale, but I seem to remember someone here having problems with a Shop Fox drill press?

That may have been me; I had some issues during initial setup which were at least in part my fault. The press ships with the belt at near-max tension, and I had trouble de-tensioning it, in part because I switched the wheels around in a stupid order. I haven't had any issues with it since then, though I'm not a super-heavy user.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks, that’s actually very helpful. My plan is indeed to rebuild it, but I know that’s going to be a slow process for me. I got it basically for free, and put it right to work and haven’t been able to really dig into what it needs. I tried getting a new belt for it (it’s some odd belt) and got nowhere with the current powermatic people or the people that bought all the new old parts stock, I figured parts generally might be hard to come by but didn’t dig that deep. It runs very loud and vibrates a lot-probably a spindle bearing problem?- and I’m not sure the motor shaft/sheave pulleys aren’t a little bent or otherwise wonky as well. Motor itself seems to be fairly new-good American 3/4hp Baldor.

I need a drill press in the meantime anyway, and having two would have the advantage down the road of being able to leave one set up for certain things. The powermatic also only a 15” swing and that has been frustrating at times.

Put a link belt on it. It'll be quieter. If you have the variable speed model, the belt is available but expensive. How bad is the old belt? Are you sure that the bolts holding the pulleys in place are tight? Like I said, nothing under a grand is going to be as nice as your powermatic unless it's really beaten up. They were built to last, relatively easy to repair, and have good parts availability. Don't talk to their modern overlords, talk to the old tool junkies. Post some pictures and video, and I'll bet people will be able to walk you through the repairs.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

sharkytm posted:

Put a link belt on it. It'll be quieter. If you have the variable speed model, the belt is available but expensive. How bad is the old belt? Are you sure that the bolts holding the pulleys in place are tight? Like I said, nothing under a grand is going to be as nice as your powermatic unless it's really beaten up. They were built to last, relatively easy to repair, and have good parts availability. Don't talk to their modern overlords, talk to the old tool junkies. Post some pictures and video, and I'll bet people will be able to walk you through the repairs.
I actually broke it down somewhat this evening to try and isolate the noise/vibration. Motor is quiet when dismounted, but lots of noise/vibration when mounted, even with the pulleys taken off (it is the variable speed model with V pulleys). I'm going to try putting some rubber isolation sort of washers between motor and bracket and bracket and cast iron? The spindle in the front doesn't spin very freely by hand that might be how it is supposed to be. The belt is maybe in better shape than I thought, but I'm not a great judge of belts. Bolting it all to the the floor and getting it really flat and level would obviously probably help as well. Are there aftermarket table cranks available? It drives me crazy not having a rack and pinion thing to move the table up and down.

E: I got very sad when I realized every single company is selling the same drill press made in China. You can't even find one made in Taiwan anymore!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That may have been me; I had some issues during initial setup which were at least in part my fault. The press ships with the belt at near-max tension, and I had trouble de-tensioning it, in part because I switched the wheels around in a stupid order. I haven't had any issues with it since then, though I'm not a super-heavy user.
Thanks, your drill press is what I was remembering! Glad it worked out, and thanks for the information.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Picked up an ancient DeWalt/Black & Decker radial arm saw for $20 from am old timer making space in his garage. The power cord had to be replaced to make it spin up, but I like it and look forward to doing what I can to restore it. I really like how much more versatile the RAS seems to be than a table saw or miter saw. And I'm not certain but I think I might be able to turn it into an overhead router and a drum sander. Hard to figure out exactly which model I have though, so that part might be tricky.

So far I'm really into the tools with the most versatility. I think I'll be making the plunge on one of these cheap Shop Smiths I see on Craigslist for $300, particularly since I still need all the things it can do, and just sell my shiny, new, but useless sliding compound miter saw.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Organic Lube User posted:

Picked up an ancient DeWalt/Black & Decker radial arm saw for $20 from am old timer making space in his garage. The power cord had to be replaced to make it spin up, but I like it and look forward to doing what I can to restore it. I really like how much more versatile the RAS seems to be than a table saw or miter saw. And I'm not certain but I think I might be able to turn it into an overhead router and a drum sander. Hard to figure out exactly which model I have though, so that part might be tricky.

So far I'm really into the tools with the most versatility. I think I'll be making the plunge on one of these cheap Shop Smiths I see on Craigslist for $300, particularly since I still need all the things it can do, and just sell my shiny, new, but useless sliding compound miter saw.

I don't think the motor is fast enough to be a good router, but good luck on that. Sanding wheels, cutoff wheels, yeah, you can rip like a table saw, cut like a compound miter saw with this, the most dangerous of shop tools and that's no lie.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Its just so lovely and scary to use though

Edit God damnit the old man beat me

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

I don't think the motor is fast enough to be a good router, but good luck on that. Sanding wheels, cutoff wheels, yeah, you can rip like a table saw, cut like a compound miter saw with this, the most dangerous of shop tools and that's no lie.

I've watched a few videos about the safety concerns, and it seems that as long as you cut at a slow even pace, climbing is much less of a possibility. And of course, keep all body parts out of line of fire of both the saw and workpieces.

This is just what's gonna get me through to when I can afford/find a deal on a good contractor or cabinet table saw.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Don't buy a shop Smith, everyone I know who has used one said it's not as good as a dedicated and takes a bit to change between tools.

Jack of all trades, something something.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Organic Lube User posted:

Everything Mr. Mambold so wisely said AND ALSO...

Radial arm saws make pretty decent crosscut saws when used with appropriate caution. When you try and use them for ANYTHING ELSE they become ravenous finger eating kickback monsters.

‘Watched a few videos on the safety concerns’ and avoiding climb cutting is a good start for using it as a cutoff saw, but please please don’t try and rip anything with it until you are very aware of the risks (no riving knife, still basically climb cutting then ripping, bad fence etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc) or better yet just never rip anything with it at all because it is bad at it and will try and eat you!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My dad cut off two of his fingers with his RAS, dangerous tool indeed.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I luckily used a radial arm tile saw first so when it ran over my dominate hands thumb it just kinda gave it a light burn instead of taking the whole thing off!

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Any reccomendations on a first router? I can see myself using it for mortises so plunge sounds appealing, but if there's a solid cheap fixed base option I'm all ears too.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bob Mundon posted:

Any reccomendations on a first router? I can see myself using it for mortises so plunge sounds appealing, but if there's a solid cheap fixed base option I'm all ears too.

I'm seeing all kinds of good, cheap plunge routers on ebay. I picked up a Hitachi with both bases, variable speed, case and a few bits last year for 40 bucks because I couldn't say no.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Midwestern tool goons: what's the verdict on Menards? One just opened about a half hour from me so I stopped in yesterday when my kid had a game in the vicinity. Its huge and has tons of stuff, but I'm a little turned off that a ton of it is brands I've never seen, and they lack in a lot of the brand name home store staples (like dewalt and Milwaukee, but I did see a good bit of Hitachi). Even their nails and screws were a brand ive never heard of.

Are they selling the same chinese stuff as everyone else in a different package? Are they an off-brand on the Spectrum with Harbor Freight? What's their deal?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

stealie72 posted:

Midwestern tool goons: what's the verdict on Menards? One just opened about a half hour from me so I stopped in yesterday when my kid had a game in the vicinity. Its huge and has tons of stuff, but I'm a little turned off that a ton of it is brands I've never seen, and they lack in a lot of the brand name home store staples (like dewalt and Milwaukee, but I did see a good bit of Hitachi). Even their nails and screws were a brand ive never heard of.

Are they selling the same chinese stuff as everyone else in a different package? Are they an off-brand on the Spectrum with Harbor Freight? What's their deal?

Iowa goon here. Menard’s is freakin’ great for raw materials. Tools are fine if they are not complex machines or power tools, indistinguishable from most other sources. Complex machines or power tools can be fine? But research what you’re buying first in that case. I would place them somewhere between harbor freight and lowes/Home Depot for that stuff, maybe more on the HF side of that spread.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
FWIW, I never buy any sort of construction/deck screw from Menards anymore. I've had way too many of them snap the heads off when driving them with an impact driver, which I've never had happen with whatever brand I buy from Lowes/Home Depot.

Otherwise, their hand tools seem perfectly acceptable, materials are good, and they've usually got the best selection of plumbing/electrical supplies around as well. Their tool chests seem to be a step above HF, and a couple steps up from Husky/Kobalt/Craftsman. I tend to pick up random sockets/wrenches from Menards for work, because I know they'll more than likely be lost/"borrowed" before too long, and work pays for them anyway. They seem fine for that, again better than the Husky stuff we've picked up on occasion, at least equal to Kobalt/new Craftsman from Lowes.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

stealie72 posted:

Lumber is way cheaper than Home Depot, similar quality. Tools are mainly garbage. Layout is..... labyrinthine. Some have an actual live pianist on the weekend, which is wildly unnecessary. All in all, Menards is just weird as poo poo, but will usually have whatever you weren't able to find at Home Depot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Lumber is way cheaper than Home Depot, similar quality.

This is very much not a glowing endorsement.

I got so tired of sorting through a pile of tubafers that I've stopped even bothering and just go to the real lumberyard and pay more for non-reject lumber.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Okay, I'm glad you are reporting the place also has a unique vibe because I definitely was very confused walking around. Especially once I hit the few aisles of groceries.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

This is very much not a glowing endorsement.

I got so tired of sorting through a pile of tubafers that I've stopped even bothering and just go to the real lumberyard and pay more for non-reject lumber.
Oh, for sure, but most people are buying lumber in small enough quantities that sitting and sorting boards isn't that big a deal. If I need 8 2x4s, I'm hitting up Menards.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I dont mind it depending on what I'm using it for. Crown em all the same way framing, ain't no thang

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Slugworth posted:

Lumber is way cheaper than Home Depot, similar quality. Tools are mainly garbage. Layout is..... labyrinthine. Some have an actual live pianist on the weekend, which is wildly unnecessary. All in all, Menards is just weird as poo poo, but will usually have whatever you weren't able to find at Home Depot.

There's one real close to me that does the live pianist thing, right at the top of their cart escalator. Last time I was there, some dude was banging out video game music on it.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Almost forgot, I hit up a few garage sales this weekend and picked up some new toys.

An ooooooold #78, Record #4, Miller falls bullnose plane, disston D8, couple odds and ends.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I dont mind it depending on what I'm using it for. Crown em all the same way framing, ain't no thang

Crown is expected. Dog legs and knots so bad they are falling out are what I seem to find. Always on top, because someone else has been sorting the pile.

My local lumber yard is also closer than the closest LowesDepot, so that helps with my decision.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PitViper posted:

FWIW, I never buy any sort of construction/deck screw from Menards anymore. I've had way too many of them snap the heads off when driving them with an impact driver, which I've never had happen with whatever brand I buy from Lowes/Home Depot.
poo poo, I totally forgot about this. 100% true in my experience, in addition to the self-tapping ones being dull as gently caress, totally worthless. And the heads tend to not be crafted well so you chuck a >0 portion of them because they won't even take a torx bit.

Slugworth posted:

At least at my local Menard's, their lumber is vastly superior to Lowes & Home Depot, and they have a better lineup as well, for better prices. Of course, if I want nice or special hardwood I'll go to the local woodworking shop. If I want longer, thicker, wider, straighter, and most importantly, clearer pine or similar, without paying a stupid amount, it's Menard's all the time. And they actually carry those materials in thicknesses >3/4".

Slugworth posted:

Layout is..... labyrinthine.
Haha okay yes, this is a fact.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Just in case anyone didn't know:

Live near both a Menards and a Home Depot? You can get HD to honor Menard's 11% sale!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Any thoughts on this small HF workbench? I've been used my ex's chest freezer as a makeshift work table for the past year and now that that is finally disappearing I'd like to replace it with an actual table. It seems to have good reviews and a great price.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Any thoughts on this small HF workbench? I've been used my ex's chest freezer as a makeshift work table for the past year and now that that is finally disappearing I'd like to replace it with an actual table. It seems to have good reviews and a great price.

You should make this one instead

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

lovely mdf top and thin steel legs. Floor model wobbles when I poke it.

Not sure your intended use for the bench but if you have a circular saw and a drill you can make a solid bench out of 2x4s, 3/4" plywood, and some 3" screws.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Is the WEN 4208 really that bad as a first drill press? It's on Amazon for $81 right now and I've got about $55 in reward points dropping this month, not worth bothering with for $26 actual dollars?

WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQONFVE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IrrEDb44SE1BR

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 11, 2019

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I bought that one for my brother as a Christmas gift 2 years ago. I know he's used it to drill walnut and aluminum and he never complained to me (which doesn't mean much since it was a gift). He hasn't bought a replacement, though, so it must be fairly good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

assuming you have access to a saw, almost any table you build will be cheaper and better than a table you have to assemble

my favorite general workbench design type is to use a 4x4 lagged into the wall as the back support, so you only need legs on the front.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 11, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bob Mundon posted:

Is the WEN 4208 really that bad as a first drill press? It's on Amazon for $81 right now and I've got abou $55 in reward points dropping this month, not worth bothering with for $26 actual dollars?

WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQONFVE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IrrEDb44SE1BR

I got it for forty bucks and at that price I would recommend it, but I have to think there are better options in the vicinity of eighty.

Adjusting the table is annoying and the press doesn’t have a great depth capacity, so it’s frequently necessary when changing bits. It’s not the easiest to clamp onto.

It had no problem drilling ten-millimetre holes through mild steel, but I did stall it with dull forstner bits in hardwood. The motor gets hot after a few minutes, but I couldn’t smell it so it was probably within acceptable limits.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

BraveUlysses posted:

assuming you have access to a saw, almost any table you build will be cheaper and better than a table you have to assemble

my favorite general workbench design type is to use a 4x4 lagged into the wall as the back support, so you only need legs on the front.

Are there instructions for a simple table?I'd love to do something like this

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The woodworking thread recommended this table to me a couple years back which I built as a novice and it's been great: https://woodgears.ca/workbench/

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
https://woodworkingformeremortals.com/workbench-mere-mortals/

This might be more involved that you were looking for, but the joinery he uses on the legs is the important bit. You could skip all the extra shelving, etc. if you wanted and just focus on the skirt, legs, and bottom shelf supports. Two layers of 3/4" ply on the top is kind of overkill, too, probably 1 layer is good enough unless your bench is >3ft wide.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

The woodworking thread recommended this table to me a couple years back which I built as a novice and it's been great: https://woodgears.ca/workbench/

Nevets posted:

https://woodworkingformeremortals.com/workbench-mere-mortals/

This might be more involved that you were looking for, but the joinery he uses on the legs is the important bit. You could skip all the extra shelving, etc. if you wanted and just focus on the skirt, legs, and bottom shelf supports. Two layers of 3/4" ply on the top is kind of overkill, too, probably 1 layer is good enough unless your bench is >3ft wide.

Wow, both of these are at least possible for me to try to make, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

i can break it down a bit:

BraveUlysses posted:

I still think DIY is the better way to go for a cheap workbench

My bench:

4x4 for the front legs, no rear legs.

4x4 along the back of the bench which is lagged into the studs, the rest of the frame up front is just 2x4.

you need:

4x4x8 qty 2
2x4x8 qty 2
sheet of plywood
Screws
Pocket hole jig
circular saw

lagged the back 4x4x8 to the wall.
Cut 2x4 for left, right and center supports (depends on how deep you want the bench)
Cut 4x4 for front legs
Put a pair of pocket holes in each of the supports.
attach supports to the back 4x4
put the legs in position and fasten to side supports
attach the remaining 2x4 to the front and throw some plywood on top, trim as needed

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 11, 2019