Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Speaking of Taskmaster, I'd never heard of Phil Wang before seeing him on there. I just got back from his show at the Soho Theatre tonight and that was easily one of the best standup sets I've seen in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Phil Wang is great - check out BBC Sounds for the replays of “Daphne Sounds Expensive” (sketch show)

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Adolf Glitter posted:

Haha, I came here to post about it. It's loving great, watch it goons.

Also great is This Way Up.
Made, written and staring Aisling Bea, with Sharon Horgan among others.
It's touching, and darkly hilarious.

I'm going to admit genuine sadness that Poldark has ended.
Initially, I half watched it for a look at Demelza' beauty if I'm being (creepily) honest After a while I ended up liking it's daft charm.
It's so compressed that it's hard to keep up, but it has an odd charm. Not a patch on the 2 recommends above though.

Oh, if any of you find the Channel 4 online thing unbearable due to adverts, then I have good news.
With Firefox, Ublock Origin, and Ghostery, all the ads are blocked :-)
You have to click play 3 or 4 times, but it works perfectly

I'd love a version of the app that didn't show me ads, half an episode of a show, more ads, then either a blank screen or the first half of the next episode.

The music from the Dominos sting on there properly bangs though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lemon posted:

Speaking of Taskmaster, I'd never heard of Phil Wang before seeing him on there. I just got back from his show at the Soho Theatre tonight and that was easily one of the best standup sets I've seen in a long time.

I loved Wang in TM but the 15 minutes he did on that Netflix stand up show didn’t work for me at all. Maybe needs more time, if they tape this current show I’ll give it another shot.

Love the Soho Theatre, got to see Paul F Tompkins and Chris Gethard there over the last few years, they do some great bookings.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm still glossing over the GBBO contestants so far. There's the nice church boy (who is also a toff who goes to Oxford), the Spooky Woman who makes everything Spooky (which already feels like a tired shtick), the Way Out of His Depth Lad who I already don't have to remember any more, the Welsh Lady, and then there's a couple of gay boys and uhhhh, everyone else is just wallpaper mostly.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I'm still glossing over the GBBO contestants so far. There's the nice church boy (who is also a toff who goes to Oxford), the Spooky Woman who makes everything Spooky (which already feels like a tired shtick), the Way Out of His Depth Lad who I already don't have to remember any more, the Welsh Lady, and then there's a couple of gay boys and uhhhh, everyone else is just wallpaper mostly.

Seems like a pretty accurate description so far. It'll take a few weeks to cull the weak.

I'm still surprised that no-one has figured out that for the first few weeks you only need to be competent. Don't try and do anything too fancy and you can easily coast until the middle of the season no worries.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The_Doctor posted:

Alice is the Incredibly Posh Lady who seems to love new Zealand that you missed.
There's an older guy who I want to say is called John?
And there's Steph, who is "Fringe Lady" and seemed to get no airtime AT ALL in episode 2 for some reason.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, and Amelia, the very northern black girl with fantastic hair who was a whisker over getting dropped this week.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, and Amelia, the very northern black girl with fantastic hair who was a whisker over getting dropped this week.

Oh yea!
I knew Dan's name too, the first person to go.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I can't decide if Henry is sweet and lovable or a candidate for Young Tory of the Year.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

eating only apples posted:

I can't decide if Henry is sweet and lovable or a candidate for Young Tory of the Year.

Absolutely the latter.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I just got to the bit where the guy gets kicked off for throwing his ruined baked alaska in the bin. Not sure I agree with that decision.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

I just got to the bit where the guy gets kicked off for throwing his ruined baked alaska in the bin. Not sure I agree with that decision.
People on Twitter were furious with the old lady that did it at the time, but then (off the show) she fell and bumped her head and lost her sense of smell and taste and I imagine people felt a bit sorry about making a big deal out of it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Akuma posted:

People on Twitter were furious with the old lady that did it at the time, but then (off the show) she fell and bumped her head and lost her sense of smell and taste and I imagine people felt a bit sorry about making a big deal out of it.

Ah yes I've just started the next episode and that seems to have happened. I'm a little surprised they haven't brought the guy back in that case. They would've on Runway.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Akuma posted:

But also Sue Perkins went on record after this event saying that the incident looked way worse in the edit than it did IRL. And the judges conclusion that you have to present something even if it went wrong due to reasons outside your control seemed pretty fair to me at the time. They might have been lenient if the guy hadn’t just ragequit.

asveepay
Jul 7, 2005
internobody

Akuma posted:

There were also plenty of stories indicating that creative editing made it seem like more like sabotage than it really was. One on the few instances of deliberate, Top Gear-esque manufactured drama on the show.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I agreed with all the reasoning and I certainly didn't think she did it on purpose (and there were some odd causality jumps in the edit that made it hard to tell exactly what happened, it went from "who's is this?" "I think it's jim's" to "where's my ice cream?" "it's here on the counter").

But, if your alternative is a guy who has verbatim every week said "they said it was too boring it's time for me to step it up" and then doing the exact same safe poo poo the next week, the guy who they still got rid of next week, feels like it could've gone either way. Bringing him back after she went off sick would've felt right to me, then judging as normal that week.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We’re on the latest GBBO season. I still don’t know any names, but I’m impressed the found a contestant with eyes as striking as Paul Hollywood’s (the navy girl).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

We’re on the latest GBBO season. I still don’t know any names, but I’m impressed the found a contestant with eyes as striking as Paul Hollywood’s (the navy girl).

She's called Alice.
She's so unbelievably posh, I can't help but hate people who've been able to do so much in their life with no effort because their parents have money.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, GBBO, I thought they’d go. Absolutely squeaked through last week.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Whoever said writing in Killing Eve got worse in series 2 was very much right. By episode 5 it goes completely off the rails, and proceeds to cartoonishly crash through various sheds and chicken coops. Still, intrigued to see in what direction the new writer plans to take the show, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, GBBO, I thought they’d go. Absolutely squeaked through last week.

It feels like this is the first season where the 3 people who've left were proper telegraphed. Normally people improve, not so here.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Whoever said writing in Killing Eve got worse in series 2 was very much right. By episode 5 it goes completely off the rails, and proceeds to cartoonishly crash through various sheds and chicken coops. Still, intrigued to see in what direction the new writer plans to take the show, though.

I believe that was me, hopefully PWB is more involved in the writing of series 3.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So, does David Baddiel have dementia or what?
He's so baffled all the time in the new taskmaster and saying weird stuff, it genuinely comes across that way.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Well, is it hereditary?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thehustler posted:

Well, is it hereditary?

Yea, actually. It did come to mind because of that tbh
But also you'd think he'd notice the signs in that case

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Lemon posted:

Phil Wang is very hit and miss for me. He's either hilarious or just very average.

I prefer the parts where he gets into his set and it's not just him taking the piss out of his own name for 10 minutes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Apparently The Apprentice starts its 15th series tomorrow evening. I mention this only because I think it is a very good example of a programme on the television that used to be good but was gradually hollowed out to the point where it became unalloyed dog poo poo and went on long after it should have been put out of its misery.

Still, what else am I going to be doing with a Wednesday evening :laugh:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

Apparently The Apprentice starts its 15th series tomorrow evening. I mention this only because I think it is a very good example of a programme on the television that used to be good but was gradually hollowed out to the point where it became unalloyed dog poo poo and went on long after it should have been put out of its misery.

Still, what else am I going to be doing with a Wednesday evening :laugh:

It used to have it's own thread back when it was good (and also when it got poo poo (dunno if it still does (haven't watched in years)))

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I watched it last year because my sister-in-law's best friend was on it, as usual it starts off quite decent and there's a fair bit of competition between the two teams each week but then towards the end it's ruined by teammates backstabbing each other and deliberately sabotaging their own tasks.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
The only thing that's entertaining about it now is watching the contestants pretending to be excited about things like this

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Apprentice gave us President Trump, more Alan Sugar and Katie Hopkins. It's a trash format that needs to be banished to hell for continuing to create evil.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I thought our rolling news and current politics would entertain those who enjoy that show a lot more. It's kind of obsolete now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
RIP Peter "She's even got new tits!" Sissons.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mash Report seems to be pissing off all the right people. Also I am in love with Rachel Parris.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watched ‘Only Connect’ for the first time yesterday and never has a show made me feel as dumb as that one.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

thehustler posted:

RIP Peter "She's even got new tits!" Sissons.

He seemed like a bit of a poo poo :rip:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I like the apprentice, because it's far more fun to me to hate people than it is to watch people getting on in that sort of context.
I've got bakeoff for nice people.

As far as I'm concerned if you do sales you're already a huge jerk and Apprentice comes along and confirms it.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watched ‘Only Connect’ for the first time yesterday and never has a show made me feel as dumb as that one.

I love Only Connect but I have to watch it on Iplayer so that I can fast-forward through the 'banter' lest I cringe myself into a black hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you're watching the beginning of the series, the good news is the questions get harder as the rounds go on.