Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

One year the romcom genre is booming with Yuuna, Bokuben, Kaguya, Toubun, etc

The next year (2020) only Kaguya's still going strong. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mirage posted:

In the latest We Can't Study, we greet the newest member of Nariyuki's harem, Truck-kun.

:rip:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Here lies Nariyuki, he never learned.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Okay I know it wont happen but it would be hilarious if he actually died and the manga ended on a sudden super downer gut punch.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

KittyEmpress posted:

Okay I know it wont happen but it would be hilarious if he actually died and the manga ended on a sudden super downer gut punch.

You see, he REALLY took after his dad.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

God drat do I love Chainsawman.

"No. This isn't what she'd have wanted.

Actually, wait, no, gently caress this guy."

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Chainsaw man is such an amazing series. It's such an odd premise that you think it won't work, but then it surprises you.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chainsaw Man is so much better than it has any right to be. It's amazing how it has like such a bog standard shonen premise (hopeless orphan fuses with a powerful monster and uses it to fight other monsters for the government!) but it feels so grounded and down-to-earth.

It's like the polar opposite of Samurai 8 :v:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know it doesn't get talked about much here or at all, but dang the latest chapter of Haikyuu.

Feels like it's speeding towards an ending. Or a timeskip,

yeah that was really out of the blue.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Begemot posted:

Chainsaw Man is so much better than it has any right to be. It's amazing how it has like such a bog standard shonen premise (hopeless orphan fuses with a powerful monster and uses it to fight other monsters for the government!) but it feels so grounded and down-to-earth.

It's like the polar opposite of Samurai 8 :v:

it's really unpretentious, which is refreshing because a lot of shounen, even the good ones, tend to have a lot of rhetorical bombast

in chainsawman the demons plainly and openly shout that they're just in this to indulge their appetites, denji shrugs off moral and existential crises like raindrops, and most of the humans aren't much different. when Nervous Knife Ninja Girl sheepishly confessed that she stuck around the bureau because her bonus check was coming up, normally that'd be a lousy attempt to hide some hidden motivation. not to say that can't still be the case here, but for this comic something that hilariously mundane is way more plausible

and this is more of a personal thing but i also like how everyone goes around kicking rear end in neat black suits, the women included

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man I actually like Samurai 8 but I think the art just clicks with me and the story sucks but the backstory reminds me of Orion which I guess is giving me false hope. The whole princess thing is so insanely Kishimoto at his worst it feels like self-parody. It could only get worse if Ann's dialogue was delivered by a turd that lives in her sleeve.

Oxxidation posted:

denji shrugs off moral and existential crises like raindrops
He's like every stupid gently caress shonen protag except instead of "wow this girl wants to have sex with me, what is sex though?" he feels wrong about it and doesn't. He is actually pretty moral, and actually stupid, and not shonen bullshit stupid where he's an idiot in an orange jump suit but secretly the most hardworking incredible son of Jesus.

He doesn't bleat out he's protecting people because he's just and moral. He just does it. He says why he wants to punish someone and does it.

You're right, it is so lacking in bombastic poo poo or pretension. He's so wonderfully direct. The manga just chainsaws right through all the bullshit that makes shonen a chore to read. Also the flashback in this chapter is something you might have missed, not three pages of a secondary character explaining powers in detail.

I am really enjoying this manga.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fujimoto Tatsuki, Fuse and Akasaka Aka are the first gems to shine forth the Reiwa Era. Bless them.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Diggin how Denji and Aki were doing each other’s poses before their Grand Tournament.

And traumatizing poo poo keeps happening to Nervous Knife Girl lol I wonder if this’ll continue

yum fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 13, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Spider-man: Fake Red Continues to be great. I wasn't sure if I'd like Yu but he's won me over these past few chapters.

Kid's got guts even if he's way in over his head and it's only going to get worse from here. And he's got to learn some of the basic rules for secret identities Cover your battle scars don't roll up your sleeves to look cool

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Some nice Denji and Aki bonding time in the latest Chainsawman chapter. Also a bit of character intrigue with Denji and a lead into Power getting more powerful. Good stuff!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm really enjoying Mission:Yozakura Famly

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

It's fun, but I feel like the protag needs some more character. Like what is he supposed to be? funny, awkward, stoic?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I haven't read it, but it's funny seeing it advertised right next to Spy X Family on the Manga Plus website and both of them are described as one-of-a-kind.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yozakura family gives me way more reborn vibes, except it's not written for fujoshi

so it's decent

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

It's been a fun read and the bomber assassin tweeting while he was dying had me laughing so hard. The only thing that's really holding it back right now is the protagonist.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm glad the protagonist is developing but he definitely needs a bit more character if he's gonna hold the series up. It is a lot better than I thought it was gonna be at the start though, I thought Siscon guy was the main joke but he's just one idiot in a family of them so that's better.

Also the art is whatever but I find Mitama Security absolutely hilarious. It is very much my kind of humor. Him flipping around doing gun tricks instead of just shooting the dude in the first chapter just about killed me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The art in mitama isn't doing it for me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

joh mitama stepped out of a 70s tv anime and i love it, the rest of the art is serviceable. i'm enjoying it but just kinda assuming cancellation will happen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I just find it funny the Jump stuff I'm most into is the slice of life stuff

Yaiba is the only traditionally shonen rear end shonen I'm reading other than that it's a ton of like Act-Age(read it it's really fun) And We Never Learn

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

yozakura family gives me way more reborn vibes, except it's not written for fujoshi

so it's decent

The fujoshi stuff was some of the best parts of Reborn, what are you talking about? All those handsome boys, so secure in their friendship.

vvvv oh I see!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 15, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The fujoshi stuff was some of the best parts of Reborn, what are you talking about? All those handsome boys, so secure in their friendship.

my post was meant to imply yozakura is lesser for not being like reborn in that way, lol

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Act-Age is real good and needs more love. Though it's been steady rank-wise I think.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I feel like Act-Age will blow up big if it ever gets an anime adaptation.

It's really good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Oxxidation posted:

it's really unpretentious, which is refreshing because a lot of shounen, even the good ones, tend to have a lot of rhetorical bombast
Yeah, I think this sums it up for me.

Well, and this.

Oxxidation posted:

and this is more of a personal thing but i also like how everyone goes around kicking rear end in neat black suits, the women included
There's this surreal mundanity to it all that everyone just low-key accepts, like a Japanese Joseph Heller novel. It reminds me a little bit of Dorohedoro, with the dissonant interplay of direct, disaffected characters propped up against a grindhouse aesthetic that somehow feels both visceral and low budget (in a charming, earnest B-movie kinda way). It's a contrast that really works.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Diane finally gets to do something cool in the new Seven Deadly Sins.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

But gets overshadowed by Escanor going: It's high noon bitch!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well everyone is overshadowed by Escanor that's thematically his thing

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spiderdrake posted:

Well everyone is overshadowed by Escanor that's thematically his thing

Shines so bright everything else cant be seen

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Now, I don't rate Nakaba that high for his art. His style is clear and easy to follow and everyone is distinct, but it's rarely particularly pretty.
However, this chapter had some standout art. The destruction of the land is pretty detailed, the image of the Demon King is really great and Escanor grinning like a maniac always manages to give me chills.

Also pretty epic that Diane just put him on a giant stone table.
I love that Escanor is already starting to catch fire in the group shot.

It's now time for Escanor to complete his "Kick the poo poo out of Meliodas'" family list.
Estarossa [x]
Meliodas [x]
Zeldris [x]
Demon king [ ]

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't believe the flashback in jujutsu kaisen is still going. it's not that it's bad. I just still don't understand why it's happening at this point in the story in the first place

also the latest chapter of samurai 8 is prob the best so far. not a very high bar but it does have some potential still

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't get why people like Escanor so much.

He's just so... boring and one note.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's a fun note, which is more than you can say for the rest of the cast most of the time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chainsawman really is better written than it has any right to be

Creepy, funny, creepy again and then just weirdly heartwarming

Although they're more and more feeling like Contractors

KittyEmpress posted:

I like him since he's the 'rear end in a top hat Superman' design but his flaws are way more on display. His powers are killing him, they worsen his relationship with others, and for all that power Merlin pretty much ignores him for the entire manga. He really does suffer for his pride, whereas most of the sins I can't even remember what their sin is. But all that power isn't why he's brave, deep down, he's actually a good guy.

Though just to be clear I read sins because it pops on mangastream and I certainly wouldn't say the manga is good.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I stopped reading 7 Deadly Sins awhile ago because I decided it wasn't good and not worth the time each week, but the only character I really liked at all was Ban, because his fights were fun due to his immortality.

Watching him get his poo poo kicked in just to scratch his opponent, then get up and do it again and again was pretty cool to me.

I also have a soft spot for 'assholes who actually really do care about people'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

He has the best smack talk and Nakaba seems to love drawing him larger than life as well.
But I can see why other wouldn't like him so much, especially as he is directly tied to the point where the Mangas quality started going downhill.

Chainsaw edit:
Chainsawman was super sweet. But it felt like the art was rougher than usual :(

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 19, 2019