Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/09/beyond-development-update-2/

quote:

Fixed bad data in the Nutrient Refiner recipes for various cheeses and cheese-based products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

cheese and cheese accessories

Glitchdj
Mar 20, 2007
I like milk
Well, looks like I won't ever see another space battle again in my current save.

Warped a gazillion times, waited 3 hours, waited 3 days, jumped through black holes.
Nothing.

:arghfist::arghfist::arghfist:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The game runs much smoother on ps after the update and fixed a lot of construction glitches at one of my lovely bases. Load times are much faster too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It doesn't look noticeably less blurry on base PS4 but definitely more aliased now. Lots of shimmer everywhere. Still an improvement overall I'd say. I still can't get vibration back though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Does it still make the PS4 sound like a jet engine?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know, I play with headphones on but as far as I know, it's likely the same. I think mine is fairly quiet though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So what are units good for? If I’ve got 200m and can get 60m per day by collecting from my indium farm at what point do I have more than I could ever need?

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Installed this again to investigate the state of the game. Is there any way of fixing the streched UI on ultrawide? Also is rebinding keys broken or am I being dumb?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

evilweasel posted:

So what are units good for? If I’ve got 200m and can get 60m per day by collecting from my indium farm at what point do I have more than I could ever need?

The best freighters and ships cost hundreds of millions of units. I’d say if you’re that flush, keep 500k on hand at all times in case you run across that perfect space boat that you must have.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can confirm that PC performance on Oculus is improved. I fired this up the other night and was able to keep all settings on "Enhanced" while cranking tessellation and textures up to ultra, and the game only really hitches when landing on planets. That makes sense since it's generating terrain. Pop-in still appears just as visible, as well as textures loading around you as you travel, but overall I can deal with that. This is also with keeping 1.5 super sampling enabled in the Oculus Tray Tool and anti aliasing on FXAA+TAA. I understand folks don't like TAA in this game because it "smears" things, but the alternative is jagged edges everywhere and it looks worse imo.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Glitchdj posted:

Well, looks like I won't ever see another space battle again in my current save.

Ok, dumb question but are you warping in your spaceship, or in your current freighter?

evilweasel posted:

In addition to buying S-Class freighters and starships (A full deck of S-Class will cost you nearly a billion total) having tons of cash makes base building, and general gameplay tons easier - at space stations you can buy thousands of units of materials you will commonly need like ferrite, oxygen, tritium, etc. for a couple hundred thousand dollars. You can load up your backpack with everything you could ever need with sufficient cash, and in 1/10,000th the amount of time it would take you to go harvest all that poo poo.

You'll have all the frigate fuel, uranium, thruster fuel, oxygen, metal plating, and whatever else you need for the rest of the game, and if you ever need more, you can just buy more instead of wasting time harvesting. Its a fair game mechanic for progression from harvesting to manufacturing, IMO.

In addition, Platinum (which can be refined from Gold + Silver) and Pugeneum can be refined into nanites at a ratio of 25 to 1. You can just buy them from space stations and NPCs getting out of their spaceships, and then go churn them into hundreds of nanites.

One advisory: the only thing you can't ever really buy all you need of is Carbon and Condensed Carbon. The way around harvesting it is that often times you can buy things that break down into them (nanotubes, etc. - very inefficient) or, your frigates will often return with Crystalized Carbon as a mission reward. Never sell those, break them down into condensed carbon.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Warm fresh teddy bear milk anyone?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ratzap posted:

Five Nights at Planet Freddy's

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ratzap posted:

Me and the boys when we haven’t been milked in a while

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Roughly Milk

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So that's where they had their picnic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*extremely Lizzo voice*

Minnesota Vy’Keen

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

RE: crashed ships. Kind of a confusing operation, and when I google it I’m seeing posts from a few weeks ago that say it’s bugged and I’ll lose my old ship. The wiki says it will be fine and once I jump my freighter then it will show up in my hanger (I don’t have one yet but it says that’s okay too). Is that true? Really don’t want to lose my current ship, even if it is just the dinky starter.

Even if it is safe, will any items I couldn’t move still be in the inventory when it poofs itself into my hangar?

Somewhat related, is there a certain number of jumps to get the welfare freighter? Or is it random? Or story-based?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else have a VR bug where your hands are slightly offset from the in-ship controls?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If I store items in my stored ships in my freighter, will they vanish eventually?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

runchild posted:

RE: crashed ships. Kind of a confusing operation, and when I google it I’m seeing posts from a few weeks ago that say it’s bugged and I’ll lose my old ship. The wiki says it will be fine and once I jump my freighter then it will show up in my hanger (I don’t have one yet but it says that’s okay too). Is that true? Really don’t want to lose my current ship, even if it is just the dinky starter.

Even if it is safe, will any items I couldn’t move still be in the inventory when it poofs itself into my hangar?

Somewhat related, is there a certain number of jumps to get the welfare freighter? Or is it random? Or story-based?

What I’ve done for these is usually take the ship, then immediately run back to my original ship and jump back in that. It then appears in my freighter later.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I decided to say gently caress it and grab it anyways. I was able to hop in either ship and now I can call in whichever one I want from the quick menu. So it’s all good, it seems.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else have a VR bug where your hands are slightly offset from the in-ship controls?

Yes, my VR hands are also slightly off from my real hands. The VR hands start at like the middle of my real fingers.

It’s been that way since day one :iiam:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes, my VR hands are also slightly off from my real hands. The VR hands start at like the middle of my real fingers.

It’s been that way since day one :iiam:

See, when the VR patch first hit, it wasn’t like that. My hands were where they’re supposed to be. But at some point they became off center and none of the patches fixed it. Weird.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

If I store items in my stored ships in my freighter, will they vanish eventually?

No.

However, be careful about leaving stuff in the refiners aboard your freighter. They have a tendency to disappear after warps/reloads.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

No.

However, be careful about leaving stuff in the refiners aboard your freighter. They have a tendency to disappear after warps/reloads.

that particular bug I have learned over and over again, it’s super annoying for long refining jobs

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I think going beyond a certain distance away from a refiner just resets it to 0. whatever it was doing before, whelp..
Also, occasionally you need to scramble up to one of those space hologram telephone things, during a quest, if you have as mod that enables wackier planets and so on, disable mods until that part of the quest is done, as you sometimes have flora or minerals blocking your holophone.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Is doing the trick to make your welfare freighter a capital ship worth the time? Cause it sounds like a pain in the rear end, but 24-34 slots sounds better than 19 at most. On the other hand that’s still a decent amount of extra space until I get a mining operation running and have enough cash to just buy a capital when I find it naturally. I don’t know, the inventory limits are easily the most maddening aspect of this game so the more the better.

Also is the “3 hours unpaused” part of the process definitely necessary?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is your first freighter supposed to be like 18 mil? I thought welfare freighter meant “affordable early game”?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Your first freighter is 0, you're scripted to encounter a freighter to rescue at a certain point in every new save.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

runchild posted:

Is doing the trick to make your welfare freighter a capital ship worth the time? Cause it sounds like a pain in the rear end, but 24-34 slots sounds better than 19 at most. On the other hand that’s still a decent amount of extra space until I get a mining operation running and have enough cash to just buy a capital when I find it naturally. I don’t know, the inventory limits are easily the most maddening aspect of this game so the more the better.

The extra slots are nice, but a freighter has substantial cargo capacity besides the slots (ten storage units; using your extra starships as storage). I'm also not sure I'd shortcut one of the pieces of content (upgrading your freighter) given that the impression I get (i just replaced my welfare freighter) is that after you get a capital freighter there's not a huge amount of content left besides searching for S-class stuff.

runchild
May 26, 2010

evilweasel posted:

The extra slots are nice, but a freighter has substantial cargo capacity besides the slots (ten storage units; using your extra starships as storage). I'm also not sure I'd shortcut one of the pieces of content (upgrading your freighter) given that the impression I get (i just replaced my welfare freighter) is that after you get a capital freighter there's not a huge amount of content left besides searching for S-class stuff.

Hmm, I was looking at it from the perspective that having a freighter with lots of space seems more like the way to really get going in the game rather than an end goal. Because the limited inventory is hindering literally every other aspect of the game. Finding something new should be exciting, not make me think “where the heck am I gonna fit this?”

The problem isn’t even that you or your ship have a limited inventory, that’s fine. It’s that your home base is even more limited! I couldn’t believe it when I accessed a newly-built storage crate for the first time. In basically every other game like this, your home base is where you can dump all your poo poo. Then you choose what’s worth bringing with you at the outset of an adventure, and later choose when it’s time to go back home because you’re running out of space. As you progress and add more inventory space those trips can get longer. In NMS that loop is all screwed up because you never have space to breath, inventorily speaking.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

runchild posted:

Is doing the trick to make your welfare freighter a capital ship worth the time?

Uh, yeah, because they're fuckin bad rear end.

runchild posted:

I've never tested this, personally, but I think it's correct.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Once you get a freighter, even if it's a poo poo freighter, you can start assembling frigates to do missions. Send 'em out in fives and make sure to have more stars than the mission, and that's some real money, though you need the occasional detour to buy tritum and dihydrogen jelly to make fuel.

The industrial missions are also good for supplies of stellar metals, except for regular-style emeril for some reason?

If they do come back damaged, note that the frigate list will also give you a rough idea of where the frigate is spacedocked compared to the freighter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

runchild posted:

Hmm, I was looking at it from the perspective that having a freighter with lots of space seems more like the way to really get going in the game rather than an end goal. Because the limited inventory is hindering literally every other aspect of the game. Finding something new should be exciting, not make me think “where the heck am I gonna fit this?”

The problem isn’t even that you or your ship have a limited inventory, that’s fine. It’s that your home base is even more limited! I couldn’t believe it when I accessed a newly-built storage crate for the first time. In basically every other game like this, your home base is where you can dump all your poo poo. Then you choose what’s worth bringing with you at the outset of an adventure, and later choose when it’s time to go back home because you’re running out of space. As you progress and add more inventory space those trips can get longer. In NMS that loop is all screwed up because you never have space to breath, inventorily speaking.

The real "dump all my poo poo" invention is the nutrient processor, or at least it was for me. Holds most of the plant products that are the real variant things to collect and covet.

Though really, run the Artemis/Apollo quests until you get an overseer, then you get the "serious" (9 more 5-units) base storage options.

Once I got the survey visor I started making bases all over the galaxy to mine things. I have one storage unit for gasses, one for stellar metals, and one for the environment compounds (though I carry paraffinium with me because it's used in making exocraft bays). Anything that doesn't go in a local store or the nutrient processor gets beamed up to the freighter to sort later.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

yeah, it's dope as gently caress being on a planet in the shadow of your giant rear end freighter.

mothafuckin space ballaaaaaaaaaa

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

haveblue posted:

Your first freighter is 0, you're scripted to encounter a freighter to rescue at a certain point in every new save.

Great. The first freighter I encountered was 18 mil. I guess my game messed up

:waycool:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Great. The first freighter I encountered was 18 mil. I guess my game messed up

:waycool:

Did you have to fight a bunch of pirates before you could talk to the captain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sure didn’t, it just appeared and I could dock on it