Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

4K77 and 4K83 exist and are great, google them.

This looks interesting. I’m curious what version I’d prefer this or the despecialized one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

sigher posted:

Has Disney said anything about ever releasing the theatrical versions of the OT? My hard drive with the despecialized versions poo poo the bed and I've been wanting to watch the OT recently.

I should probably just assume that we'll never get those versions again; or Disney will pull some bullshit and make them only available on Disney+.

I honestly don't really get the obsession with the original theatrical release. From what I can tell the changes they made are either (a) good, (b) quick and forgettable, or (c) one awful CGI musical number that I wish I hadn't just remembered.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

AndyElusive posted:

You really should hear or read what Ahmed Best thinks or feels regarding this opinion since he in no way shape or form agrees with you.

Ahmed Best is a artist

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Glottis posted:

I honestly don't really get the obsession with the original theatrical release. From what I can tell the changes they made are either (a) good, (b) quick and forgettable, or (c) one awful CGI musical number that I wish I hadn't just remembered.

A decent amount of changes fall into (a) and (b) but there's a lot under the "awful CGI" category that you've forgotten about, e.g. most of the Tatooine CG additions in Episode IV. recently watched the THX 1138 director's cut for the first time and that suffers from the same issues too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cross-Section posted:

4K77 and 4K83 exist and are great, google them.

So they never did ROTJ?

Glottis posted:

You know, a lot of the changes aren't to bad but the CGI work to make the changes are absolute poo poo. The musical number, ugh, but like, Vader's Eyebrows and little things like that? gently caress it, I can't remember most of the changes because I'm not that knowledgeable but a lot of the changes you look at and go, "Yup, that's early 2000s CGI and it looks like dog dick." poo poo, just give me the "Special" edition version of the film and redo the CGI with todays technology and I'd probably be content outside of that dumb song.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

sigher posted:

So they never did ROTJ?

You know, a lot of the changes aren't to bad but the CGI work to make the changes are absolute poo poo. The musical number, ugh, but like, Vader's Eyebrows and little things like that? gently caress it, I can't remember most of the changes because I'm not that knowledgeable but a lot of the changes you look at and go, "Yup, that's early 2000s CGI and it looks like dog dick." poo poo, just give me the "Special" edition version of the film and redo the CGI with todays technology and I'd probably be content outside of that dumb song.

BLINKING EWOK EYES AND IRISES

:gonk:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jabbas big...

big....

big....

big door.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

sigher posted:

So they never did ROTJ?

No, they did ROTJ. They're in the process of putting together ESB from multiple 35mm prints, but they're only like 12% done, as the prints are in fairly poor shape and need a ton of restoration work to be usable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cross-Section posted:

No, they did ROTJ. They're in the process of putting together ESB from multiple 35mm prints, but they're only like 12% done, as the prints are in fairly poor shape and need a ton of restoration work to be usable.

Oh whoops I got my dates twisted somehow like a total dumb rear end.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

banned from Starbucks posted:

jabbas big... big door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOG7LcBFFRQ

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

cargohills posted:

A decent amount of changes fall into (a) and (b) but there's a lot under the "awful CGI" category that you've forgotten about, e.g. most of the Tatooine CG additions in Episode IV. recently watched the THX 1138 director's cut for the first time and that suffers from the same issues too.

ESB has the best special edition because most of the changes are background things, like adding windows to Cloud City.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sigher posted:

Has Disney said anything about ever releasing the theatrical versions of the OT? My hard drive with the despecialized versions poo poo the bed and I've been wanting to watch the OT recently.

I should probably just assume that we'll never get those versions again; or Disney will pull some bullshit and make them only available on Disney+.

Kathleen Kennedy has said on multiple occasions that they aren't releasing the original versions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, that sucks, time to enjoy the fan recreations I guess. Wonderful job at being dumb, Disney.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Who needs Disney to release the originals? The Despecialized Editions are good and worth watching.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Timby posted:

Kathleen Kennedy has said on multiple occasions that they aren't releasing the original versions.

I mean why would they, people would get to watch a Star Wars that's actually good.

AndyElusive posted:

Who needs Disney to release the originals? The Despecialized Editions are good and worth watching.

You're not wrong, but crimes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

man gently caress disney

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It would also be nice to have official "despecialized" editions that were 100% accurate, straight from the original film stock and not cobbled together from various sources so that quality can noticeably shift.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

cargohills posted:

The THX-1138 director's cut is excellent IMO and actually achieves the scope he was going for and complements what he wanted to do with the movie consistently. Note that the changes weren't all necessarily CG being added into shots but stuff like the TV scene just being re-shot completely and having some shots shrunken down a bit and placed within the CG backgrop and also subtle All Cockpit Glass In Revenge of the Sith is CG level stuff like the typography and signage being altered in some spots to be more readable or/and look less like a dollar store employees only sign from the 70s. I think the only change I thought sucked when it dropped is towards the end when Donald Pleasence is shook by that odd CG scorpion spidery creature? It was way more effective thematically for the character when it was just a common mouse.

Some of said CG hasn't aged well, but I respect what he did with it at the time waaaaaay more than several of the Star Wars special edition changes.

Obviously it sucks rear end that like the OT the originals isn't officially available anymore though. :(

FuturePastNow posted:

They haven't said anything.

I don't know, now that Disney owns Fox all the old excuses are gone. I suspect the best chance for this, if they really want to print money, is a 9-film box set with alternate cuts and/or extended editions of everything. Next year sometime?

Yeah I feel like a much as they always say they're not releasing them, I don't know what year it will be but an Alien Quadrilogy or Blade Runner Final Cut box sort of set that has both versions is inevitable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I forgot that the Despecialized OT is only 720p and the 4K projects require some usenet bullshit?

God drat it Disney let me give you my money.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
If there's any stipulation Lucas would put in the contract, it is that they're not allowed to mess about with his movies.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

The THX-1138 director's cut is excellent IMO and actually achieves the scope he was going for and complements what he wanted to do with the movie consistently. Note that the changes weren't all necessarily CG being added into shots but stuff like the TV scene just being re-shot completely and having some shots shrunken down a bit and placed within the CG backgrop and also subtle All Cockpit Glass In Revenge of the Sith is CG level stuff like the typography and signage being altered in some spots to be more readable or/and look less like a dollar store employees only sign from the 70s. I think the only change I thought sucked when it dropped is towards the end when Donald Pleasence is shook by that odd CG scorpion spidery creature? It was way more effective thematically for the character when it was just a common mouse.

Some of said CG hasn't aged well, but I respect what he did with it at the time waaaaaay more than several of the Star Wars special edition changes.

Obviously it sucks rear end that like the OT the originals isn't officially available anymore though. :(

Most of the CG changes aren't as awful as the ones in the OT, but certain stuff has the air of decisions like the extra robots in the background of Mos Eisley - unnecessary and distracting. There are also two more major moments of shoddy CG: the extension to the start of the car chase, and the monkey-men at the end. Probably more what he wanted the monkey-men to look like, whatever, but it's still very poorly done. (You're probably right that there's plenty of good stuff too, but I haven't seen the original.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a despecialized THX fan cut out there, too, that's pretty solid. But I've recommended THX to a bunch of people over the years and there's no way they're going to be aware of the special edition situation nor have the capabilities to track down an obscure fan cut.

And yeah, the THX SE is less egregiously awful for most of the film, but the early-00s CGI monkeys are way more embarrassing than the dwarf actors in costumes ever were.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
THX 1138: The Hybrid Cut is a reconstruction of the theatrical release that incorporates the least-dated Director’s Cut changes, so it’s the best version of the film out there.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
That's what I want for Star Wars. More laser blasts, improved hover speeder effects, green screen artifacts cleanup, etc. are great, keep those. Get rid of every other change.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Granted, I probably spent too much time thinking of this (like 10 seconds) after watching the OT a week ago. Why the heck were stormtroopers riding horseback in the desert?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Granted, I probably spent too much time thinking of this (like 10 seconds) after watching the OT a week ago. Why the heck were stormtroopers riding horseback in the desert?

:eng101: They called dewbacks.

So dewback...back, I guess?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

:eng101: They called dewbacks.

So dewback...back, I guess?

Announcing the new Super-Duper-Ooper-Pooper-Deluxe version of Star Wars IV: A New Hope now featuring a new CGI scene with Imperial engineers giving a 15 minute technobabble explanation about how sand gets into Speeder-bike engines so the troopers have to ride Dewbacks. Also, Greedo shoots first, but misses Han and is killed by his own ricochet.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Colostomy Bag posted:

I’d like to say “because toys” but nobody thought the toys would amount to much when they made that movie.

So... because it looks cool.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

I’d like to say “because toys” but nobody thought the toys would amount to much when they made that movie.

So... because it looks cool.

Pretty much.

George Lucas posted:

I think Dewbacks were put there out of whimsy. I wanted to give a kind of random, real-world feel to everything, so I wanted to do some things that weren't predictable, like having Stormtroopers ride on Dewbacks.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Necrotizer F posted:

Announcing the new Super-Duper-Ooper-Pooper-Deluxe version of Star Wars IV: A New Hope now featuring a new CGI scene with Imperial engineers giving a 15 minute technobabble explanation about how sand gets into Speeder-bike engines so the troopers have to ride Dewbacks. Also, Greedo shoots first, but misses Han and is killed by his own ricochet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

:lol: :perfect: :lol: :perfect: :lol: :perfect:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, the guy who posted 'Act 1' has posted 'Act 2.'

ACT II

[Kijimi]

The heroes of the Resistance make their way to the snow dusted planet of Kijimi to execute their plan to discover what secrets the dagger held. Despite not being in possession of the dagger anymore, 3PO tells the crew that he has the message committed to memory, so all hope is not lost. Poe tracks down an old contact of his, Zorri Bliss, who brings them to a small creature named Babbu Frik (again, spelling not confirmed) to hack 3PO’s programming to read the Sith language on the dagger. Frik tells everyone that he can unlock the message to be read, but in doing so C-3PO’s memory will be wiped. Still reeling from the loss of Chewbacca, the heroes argue about finding another way to get the job done, but in an act of self sacrifice C-3PO voluntarily consent to the modifications, knowing that (for all intents and purposes) the droid we’ve all known for years will essentially die. According to my sources, this scene is reportedly one of the most emotional in the film. Frik completes the hack and 3PO is now able to read the message inscribed on the dagger. (This action creates the red eyed C-3PO seen in the D23 footage) The translated text points them to the location of the Emperor’s own wayfinder. Having served his purpose, 3PO’s memory wipe begins and he shuts down. Once the memory wipe is complete, 3PO reboots with a completely empty memory.

While on Kijimi, Kylo initiates another mind bond with Rey to try and divine her location a second time. Kylo spends much of this time antagonizing Rey, some of this conversation revolves around her parents and the truth behind the dagger. It was once used to murder her parents. Many years ago, Ochee was sent to murder Rey’s parents who were trying to hide Rey from the galaxy. Ochee succeeded, leaving her parents as nobodies to be forgotten by that galaxy. Where Ochee failed was with Rey. He could not find her so he left her behind on Jakku. This is what Rey remembers, the ship leaving in the wake of her parent’s murder, not her parents abandoning her. Rey lashes out at Kylo during this bond and their lightsabers clash. Having gotten everything he needed from Rey during this session, he cuts off the bond. The Star Destroyers arrive on Kijimi after having followed our heroes there. As Kylo makes his way down to the planet, Zorri helps the Resistance escape by employing the use of something described to me as a “First Order passage device”, something that transmits a signal recognized as friendly to the First Order allowing the ship to pass uninterrupted. As our heroes make their escape, we see that Palpatine’s orders to Hux and Pryde are being carried out as children are being rounded up by soldiers of the First Order.

[First Order Star Destroyer Above Kijimi]

As the heroes escape on Ochee’s ship, the group makes the decision to use the passage device to board the Star Destroyer and recapture the Falcon. The device works as advertised and their ship lands without question. On board the Star Destroyer, the droids log on to the ship’s computer network to locate the Falcon, but in the process they discover that Chewbacca is still alive! He was on a different prisoner transport ship the entire time. The team hatches a plan for a rescue mission but Rey splits off, feeling as if something is calling to her. Meanwhile, the others find Chewie, but their rescue attempt fails and they are all taken captive. The calling Rey feels is caused by the dagger which draws her to it in Kylo’s living quarters.

[Kijimi]

Back on the surface of the planet and having grown tired of a fruitless search for Rey, Kylo initiates another Force bond with her. He discovers that she is on his Star Destroyer and a lightsaber duel breaks out between the two of them across two different locations. Kylo on the surface of Kijimi and Rey aboard the Star Destroyer. During this encounter, Kylo reveals that there is more to the story behind Rey and her parents. Rey is the granddaughter of Emperor Palpatine. He tells her that they are meant to join together on the dark side and that it’s all part of the Emperor’s plan. It’s clear that by this point in the story, Kylo is fully committed to what the Emperor’s mission for him. Once Rey and Kylo’s Force bond duel ends, Kylo makes his way back to his ship and Rey grabs the dagger and Chewbacca’s bandolier and bolts. Rey bumps into a fresh minded C-3PO along the way, hands him Chewbacca’s effects and the dagger and tells him to make a run for it while she stalls Kylo. When it appears that all is lost for our heroes that have been captured by the First Order, General Hux arrives and surprisingly not only allows them to escape, but points them in the direction of the Falcon. Hux was the mole within the First Order that Finn and Poe had received information from. Rey and the other heroes make a break for the Falcon and escape. After they leave, Kylo kills Hux for treason against the First Order. From this point forward, General Pryde is the sole commander of the First Order military. The Emperor contacts Pryde and demands that he use one of the specially equipped Star Destroyers to destroy Kijimi as an act of loyalty and Pryde complies.

[Endor]

The information gleaned from C-3PO’s translation of the dagger’s writing leads the location of a second wayfinder device which turns out to be aboard the wreckage of the second Death Star on the forest moon of Endor. Along their way to the wreckage, the crew comes in contact with a person named Jannah. It is revealed that she was press ganged into First Order service as a child, but eventually escaped and found her way to Endor where she has been living for some time. At this time it is revealed that she is the child that Lando lost to the First Order all those years ago. Jannah provides Rey with transportation to get to the Death Star wreckage

Rey makes her way to the Death Star wreckage and begins climbing her way through it’s twisted remains. One of my sources told me that this scene feels very reminiscent of the activities we see Rey doing when we are first introduced to her in TFA. She eventually reaches the Emperor’s throne room and discovers a chamber connecting to that room that contains the second wayfinder. Rey approaches the object and picks it up which induces visions of a possible future for herself. In this vision we see a version of Rey that has been enveloped by the dark side as seen in the D23 footage. My sources have also told me that the voice of Palpatine may be heard during this scene. The vision shocks Rey and she stumbles back into the throne room where Kylo Ren is waiting for her. Kylo takes possession of the Emperor’s wayfinder, destroys it and indicates to Rey that the only way to get another wayfinder is to go through him and take Vader’s. A lightsaber battle ensues, beginning in the throne room and eventually transitioning to exterior wreckage among the crashing waves.

[The Resistance’s Jungle Base]

Off in another part of the galaxy while Kylo and Rey clash sabers, a bright light in the universe begins to fade. Leia is dying. Before her death, we hear the voice of a familiar hero come to bid her farewell and pass on one last bit of knowledge…

[Endor]

As their battle rages on, both Kylo and Rey sense the death or their respective mother and mentor. They both react, but Rey recovers from the shock sooner and leverages the moment to take Kylo’s weapon from him and stab him through the chest with it. In the aftermath of their concluded duel, Rey declares to Kylo that she will never be like him and fall to the dark side. She exercises her newfound healing ability to save Kylo from death, steals his ship along with Vader’s wayfinder device aboard it and takes off, leaving her enemy behind.

After Rey leaves the forest moon, the remainder of the Resistance crew boards the Falcon, along with their newfound ally Jannah, having spent the duration of Rey and Kylo’s fight repairing the ship, and return to the hidden base on the jungle planet.

Broken and defeated, Kylo Ren remains on the wreckage of the second Death Star when he is visited by a vision of his father. Han speaks to his son, telling him that it’s never too late to return to return to the light and make the right choice. This conversation has a profound effect on Kylo and in a symbolic gesture, he discards his lightsaber and walks away from darkness and the identity of Kylo Ren.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol thats dumb

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

lol

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
All I want to know is when in the story Palpatine force-possesses someone, or if he already has.
The Rey-force lightning bit sounds like the best part of this plot; an internal conflict like that should've happened in TLJ.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm kind of dreading seeing it because you know there'll be nerds who'll just have to start yelling "holy poo poo!" when it happens.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I'm unreasonably angry at "Rey has famous relatives after all!" because it clearly wasn't planned that way, and is an obvious and lazy retcon to please the more vocal Internet virgins.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I'm unreasonably angry at "Rey has famous relatives after all!" because it clearly wasn't planned that way, and is an obvious and lazy retcon to please the more vocal Internet virgins.

What do you mean by "planned"? In TFA she was obviously planned to have a special origin but J.J. has his dumb mystery box and gave her a mysterious origin without actually thinking one up. After all that's the next guys problem. Then RJ decides he won't pick up Abrams mess and pretends the setup isn't there. And now J.J is back and has to go back to the "Plan" even if the plan was to have some other hack come up with an actual origin.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
This trend in pop culture criticism of seeing big corporate products as being driven by conspiracies to own (or on the contrary, appease) stereotypical basement-dwelling nerds is getting a bit out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*reads new batch of spoilers*

Paulie, Paulie, Paulie....you’ve been a very busy boy!