Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

This actually got me to the actual song:

https://youtu.be/XW0W7j04iRQ

Also this one https://youtu.be/0DPdYp8MTDc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

1 - The TV commercial for the SNES game Phalanx. That's the one with the old guy and banjo on the cover. The commercial was simple banjo strumming with someone or something making noises. There was little to no narration.

2 - A guy in a Santa Claus outfit in a homemade sleigh, suspended from a wire over a pond. The wire breaks. I've seen it on a couple of funniest video clips, but not in years. An insurance company was also using it as part of a commercial at one time.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Visiting friends in New York in early 2000s we went out for breakfast and I remember getting this amazing dish that I've never been able to find again. The thing though is that I can't remember almost anything about it except a part of it was rice served in a garlicky broth. No idea if it was an ethnic food or hipster invention.

I feel like Priincipal Skinner.

https://youtu.be/PfxabSYFs88

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 22, 2019

Monastery Dweller
Jul 13, 2010

Eee-Yup.

Whybird posted:

There was a game I played a demo of on a PC Format cover CD as a small child. I'm pretty sure it was called Butterfly, and it was a 2d platformer where your character was a soldier and the people you rescued followed you around and gave you extra firepower. For some reason the first boss fight was against a goldfish-shaped mecha, and there were talking Tower of Hanoi pieces that you had to reunite with the rest of their puzzle before they'd open secret passages for you.

I'm semi-convinced that I imagined the whole thing because I can't find it anywhere (and because it sounds so bizarre). Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I never played it myself but my neighbor had the Butterfly data cassette on his desk when I played games on his Commodore 64. We never played it because A it was a pain to load data cassettes and B who would play a game about a butterfly.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A YouTube playlist from about five years ago that had some cool songs on it. I think it was called "something different" and had Lake of Fire by Nirvana and Cleaning Up My Mess by Blank Realm. I'm don't know if there's any way to check if a video is on a specific playlist.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This is driving me up the wall because it's a quote I read at some point in the last month or two, probably not on SA, and I can't remember the precise wording, the context, or who said it, beyond that it was a punk musician or other counterculture figure, and it was the opposite of what I would have expected them to believe. I already considered it might have been Jello Biafra from one of the zines posted in the VANTASM thread, but it probably wasn't that, or him.

Essentially it was stating that it was important for children to have fantasy or magical beliefs ("Disney phase" may have been the wording, or at least I remember Disney specifically being mentioned) to give them armor against the harsh realities of the world, and that to be raised in the cynicism of adulthood is too much for anyone to bear.

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe
I read this novel probably 25 years ago. The hero was a war veteran and had pretty major PTSD and repressed memories. Someone kidnaps his wife and starts sending him videos to try to bring the memories back. I remember one scene in particular where the kidnapper brings the guy’s wife to the beach, pisses all over her, and then ritually cleans her in the ocean, maybe like some weird Native American thing. I don’t know. It was a weird loving book.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

TheAardvark posted:

An older song that goes "yippy ai oh ai eyyy" like the letters I O I A, trading back and forth with a main singer. I think that it may have been the exact same thing just from a deep voice. "YIPPY AI OH AI EYY" "yippy ai oh ai eyyy"

:laffo: this makes me think it could be the chorus to Space Cowboy by everyone's favorite NSYNC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjHXn0JHPkk

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

:laffo: this makes me think it could be the chorus to Space Cowboy by everyone's favorite NSYNC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjHXn0JHPkk

Sweet Christ. This made me laugh like a lunatic.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The pure essence of late 90s, pre-Y2k pop culture distilled into a single entity. Bye Bye Bye ain't got nothing on that one.

Take a space ride with the cowboy, baby :clint:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Rollersnake posted:

This is driving me up the wall because it's a quote I read at some point in the last month or two, probably not on SA, and I can't remember the precise wording, the context, or who said it, beyond that it was a punk musician or other counterculture figure, and it was the opposite of what I would have expected them to believe. I already considered it might have been Jello Biafra from one of the zines posted in the VANTASM thread, but it probably wasn't that, or him.

Essentially it was stating that it was important for children to have fantasy or magical beliefs ("Disney phase" may have been the wording, or at least I remember Disney specifically being mentioned) to give them armor against the harsh realities of the world, and that to be raised in the cynicism of adulthood is too much for anyone to bear.

I hate that! It happens to me all the time, so I try to email notes or quotes to myself if I think I'll want to reference them again in the future. That makes it easy to search for them by keywords.

Anyway, it sounds like something Jello Biafra would say, but when you said it was opposite of what you thought that person would think I immedately thought of the Steve Albini interview (posted on pg. 34 of the magazine thread) because of his reputation as an rear end hole. However, I just scanned over the text and didnn't see any mention of Disney.

Wish I could help, but that quote doesn't sound familiar to me. It could very well be in the Vantasm thread, but there's a lot of text to wade through and no easy way to search for it.

Sorry!

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
somewhere out there, a video exists depicting a British man with special needs smashing a Hoover vacuum in his backyard. A very good clip, very powerful. had to be 2012 when I saw it last

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
A Jeweler’s Monarch of Deflection on Diablo II.

I’ve found every other ridiculously valuable item in that game. A perfect Mara’s Kaleidoscope. Even the Zod rune with such a low drop rate, it’s up there with grand prizes on scratch lotto tickets.

If I found one, I wouldn’t even know what to do with it, to be honest. Probably give it to my brother with 4 lightning facets since he usually rolls a lightning amazon and turn him into an unstoppable ball of electricity. Or just use it on my Sorceress with 4 Ist runes(25% increase to find magical items, for a 100% boost). Which would be like driving a Bentley to your job at Dollar Tree.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Laslow posted:

A Jeweler’s Monarch of Deflection on Diablo II.

I’ve found every other ridiculously valuable item in that game. A perfect Mara’s Kaleidoscope. Even the Zod rune with such a low drop rate, it’s up there with grand prizes on scratch lotto tickets.

If I found one, I wouldn’t even know what to do with it, to be honest. Probably give it to my brother with 4 lightning facets since he usually rolls a lightning amazon and turn him into an unstoppable ball of electricity. Or just use it on my Sorceress with 4 Ist runes(25% increase to find magical items, for a 100% boost). Which would be like driving a Bentley to your job at Dollar Tree.

:justpost: about your botting setup and D2 hours figure, getting a legit Zod is insane.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

The pure essence of late 90s, pre-Y2k pop culture distilled into a single entity. Bye Bye Bye ain't got nothing on that one.

Take a space ride with the cowboy, baby :clint:
Iirc they used that song for that Space Cowboys movie they made with a bunch of old farts like Duvall and poo poo.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
A parody of "2 Legit 2 Quit" only it was something like"2 Hung 2 Run" and part of the song rhymes 'slamming it in the elevator' with 'catching it in the escalator'.

I found it on some website with a ton of other parody MP3s maybe 20 years ago and it was the height of comedy when I was a kid. The site had songs I've since found, like a Flintstones parody of Shawn Mullins - Lullaby, "Pet Names for Genitalia" instead of "We Didn't Start the Fire", and parody of that Wear Sunscreen song. But I've never again found 2 Hung 2 Run.

Oh and "The Ballad of Testicle Mouth" has been scrubbed from the Internet so if anyone has a copy then that would be just peachy.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Mine is a video someone here on SA posted with a bunch of Norwegian people acting out some courthouse scene from a movie with really thick accents it was amazing

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

SilkyP posted:

Mine is a video someone here on SA posted with a bunch of Norwegian people acting out some courthouse scene from a movie with really thick accents it was amazing

Here you go, it's from the Swedish comedy series "Grotesco"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyU2p4l5iUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHknAtVsV88

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

:justpost: about your botting setup and D2 hours figure, getting a legit Zod is insane.

I think they hosed around with the high rune drop rates a couple years ago, so now it's actually not so improbable it might as well be impossible. I ran 3 bots simultaneously for a few months before that change, and the most rare rune they found was a Ber.

As an aside, botting totally ruined the game for me. It turned it into warehouse management: the game, I didn't even get to kill demons anymore; too busy sorting and storing all the loot.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I have been looking for a suitable replacement for the ultimate bag o' chips

Sadly, nothing has compared. The only substitute I fall back on is Pringles pizza flavor chips, but 95% of the time the chips have a tiny smear of pizza flavor dust on them. Pizzeria chips were loving COATED in delicious artificial flavor.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Sadly, nothing has compared. The only substitute I fall back on is Pringles pizza flavor chips, but 95% of the time the chips have a tiny smear of pizza flavor dust on them. Pizzeria chips were loving COATED in delicious artificial flavor.

haha I loving loooooooooooved those, they were so thick and "bakey".

I am hoping someone finds something.

edit: reddit is saying these are pretty close:

http://imgur.com/vwFJ95U

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oops! All Those Really Heavily Coated Chex in Chex Mix

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Whoa. That’s a blast from the past. I loved these. I forgot all about them! I can taste them right now.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

they loving owned

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've got a really weird one:

This would have been in the mid-80s. A children's TV show I saw while home sick from school about the history of computers. The characters were, I believe, talking computer puppets, if that makes any sense. Like, this big, "older" computer was telling a smaller, younger computer about ENIAC and so on.

After this aired, there was a test pattern - this was a public access/educational channel - with the names of the upcoming broadcasts on it

and this electronic/synthesizer music played in the background, and I would LOVE to hear it again but I realize that's almost certainly impossible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if you remember the name of the public access channel you might be surprised at what people have digitized from the 80s

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Update:
The closest thing I can find is a game called "Ace of Aces," which has the opening and closing bomb bay doors, side weapons to kill planes and crap (rockets/guns), etc.
I distinctly remember there being a minimap, too, and way more real estate on screen then following image.
I remember the graphics being full-color, not absolute dogshit, and definitely way higher resolution than attached image, but maybe this will jog some goon memories:

The only thing I can think of is Red Baron

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Super weird one from LA Public Broadcast channels. Say, 88-96?

It was a puppet theatre thing retelling a mythic story about a great hero. Might have been from Asia.

Basically it's about this hero that goes into the underworld (?) to find his brother/beloved/important relation. He has a bunch of cool gifts/abilities that help him get by, but as he progresses he has to give them up in order to continue the quest. Think losing his awesome wings because a lord of the underworld wants them.

The part I remember most is that he gives up his sight at some point, and the puppet removed his puppet eyes and gave them away.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

TheAardvark posted:

An older song that goes "yippy ai oh ai eyyy" like the letters I O I A, trading back and forth with a main singer. I think that it may have been the exact same thing just from a deep voice. "YIPPY AI OH AI EYY" "yippy ai oh ai eyyy"

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyx0N8CGno

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Are we all sure that dude isn't just talking about "Ghost Riders In The Sky" by Johnny Cash?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Maybe ”I Wanna Be A Cowboy”? https://youtu.be/s05jcrJw0as ... Yippee yi yo at the end

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
hey can I use you guys for funny pictures? I'm looking for a comic that's in the vein as the one I'm posting but it's about the dangers of too much internet and irony poisoning

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ArtIsResistance posted:

hey can I use you guys for funny pictures? I'm looking for a comic that's in the vein as the one I'm posting but it's about the dangers of too much internet and irony poisoning

Whoa, TIL a goon made that. It's supposed from this thread but I don't have archives http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1862251

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

One that’s been killing me for awhile is a little jingle that I swear Homer Simpson sung. I don’t remember the context of it but the little tune is “I’m taken my clothes off. I’m gettin’ them all took off” sorta like a lounge singer.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Raspberry Bang posted:

One that’s been killing me for awhile is a little jingle that I swear Homer Simpson sung. I don’t remember the context of it but the little tune is “I’m taken my clothes off. I’m gettin’ them all took off” sorta like a lounge singer.

"I'm shaving my shoulders..." might be what you're thinking of.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

"I'm shaving my shoulders..." might be what you're thinking of.

Holy poo poo you’re right! Thank you!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Years and years ago a goon mentioned a short horror story about some people getting trapped in an endless suburbia, they couldn't escape and maybe they saw monsters or something inside the houses eventually?

I tend to be p obsessive about finding these but the only other thing I can't find is a 1998/7 copy of a British games magazine called Games Master. My mom wrote into the magazine and got them to print my name but no one's ripped that particular issue online far as I can tell.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
My mom and I were in the audience for a taping of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in 2005 when we were in L.A. for a holiday, and I never had a chance to catch the episode when it aired later that evening. You’d think finding tonight show episodes wouldn’t be hard but I guess NBC wants to keep that decade under lock and key or something because even though there are photos out there the video is nowhere to be found on the internet as far as I can tell. I remember the guests being Pamela Anderson, Tim Russert and Il Divo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Alris posted:

My mom and I were in the audience for a taping of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in 2005 when we were in L.A. for a holiday, and I never had a chance to catch the episode when it aired later that evening. You’d think finding tonight show episodes wouldn’t be hard but I guess NBC wants to keep that decade under lock and key or something because even though there are photos out there the video is nowhere to be found on the internet as far as I can tell. I remember the guests being Pamela Anderson, Tim Russert and Il Divo.

I've always wanted to see Weird Al's performance on Carson but that seems lost to the ages as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I FOUND IT.

Well, more accurately, my boss found it. At an arcade in Guelph. I present to you that weird mechanical soccer game I brought up that people called me crazy about : International Shoot-Out