Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nah as in nah it doesn't kill the miners?

Apparently not in the modern Canadian mines. It was a big deal to get those last two mines closed down. Nobody was worried about mesothelioma, they were worried that it was unethical to sell to third world countries with lower safety standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Huge shocking plot twist: they lied and it will kill the miners.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Huge shocking plot twist: they lied and it will kill the miners.

RIP :canada:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's not that the shingles are dangerous, it's that mining the material to makes them kills the miners.

its definitely a horrendous industry for the workers, but i don't think anybody in living memory fitting the descriptor of "captain of industry" has knowingly and of their own volition shuttered a factory or industrial site specifically because of the damage done to workers' health. the horrendous toll asbestos mining took on miners working without asbestos-suited PPE was well-known for many decades prior to legislation being tabled to protect ~~~consumers~~~ from its impacts. seriously, the british government commissioned a national investigation into workplace safety and identified asbestos as one of the chief injurious substances in the 1890s, and medical reports on the hideous pulmonary damage it does were published prior to that. informal recognition amongst miners of the dangers of asbestos are likely far older than that, as asbestos has been deliberately mined and made into fireproof products for almost 1000 years, albeit not on an industrial scale

so yes, the asbestos industry killed a shitload of workers for essentially the entire time it existed, but industry has overwhelming leverage over its workforce and falls back on "if you don't like it, get another job" unless collective bargaining or labour laws protecting workers forces their hand. nobody who could have taken action lifted a finger no matter the body-count until it was clearly hurting the general public, their customers, where the leverage dynamic is ostensibly reversed. workers not destroying their bodies mining asbestos is a happy side-effect of the industry's decline, definitely not the primary driver (or even a particularly major one, imo, although we like ot think otherwise) of that decline

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 25, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ambrose Burnside posted:

its definitely a horrendous industry for the workers, but i don't think anybody in living memory fitting the descriptor of "captain of industry" has knowingly and of their own volition shuttered a factory or industrial site specifically because of the damage done to workers' health. the horrendous toll asbestos mining took on miners working without asbestos-suited PPE was well-known for many decades prior to legislation being tabled to protect ~~~consumers~~~ from its impacts. seriously, the british government commissioned a national investigation into workplace safety and identified asbestos as one of the chief injurious substances in the 1890s, and medical reports on the hideous pulmonary damage it does were published prior to that. informal recognition amongst miners of the dangers of asbestos are likely far older than that, as asbestos has been deliberately mined and made into fireproof products for almost 1000 years, albeit not on an industrial scale

so yes, the asbestos industry killed a shitload of workers for essentially the entire time it existed, but industry has overwhelming leverage over its workforce and falls back on "if you don't like it, get another job" unless collective bargaining or labour laws protecting workers forces their hand. nobody who could have taken action lifted a finger no matter the body-count until it was clearly hurting the general public, their customers, where the leverage dynamic is ostensibly reversed. workers not destroying their bodies mining asbestos is a happy side-effect of the industry's decline, definitely not the primary driver (or even a particularly major one, imo, although we like ot think otherwise) of that decline

I know. My dad worked in the mines in Libby, and large swathes of my family are part of the class action lawsuit(s).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

But I don't understand why you wouldn't get the longest lasting material possible for your drat roof. Unless you live in Florida and expect to be replacing it every year anyway.

Basically,

Ambrose Burnside posted:

capitalism creates perverse incentives that are frequently not in the end-user's best interests

If I spend double to get a metal roof, I do not add double the value to my house's sale price. This means that if I am going to sell my house in the next 30 years, spending extra on a metal roof just costs me extra money for no benefit.

This is because the buyers of houses do not pay the seller a price that goes up directly proportional to what they spent on upgrades, even though in theory they will benefit by those upgrades and so ought to value them higher.

Part of the reason for that is because of the real estate cartel, part is because the catch-22 loop of appraisal (which is almost entirely about comps, and if you do something to your house that isn't also done by the comps, an appraiser can't really find a market reason to increase their value) which in turn means a buyer that is financing the purchase will find your appraisal comes in low and the bank denies them the loan.

Part is because in a seller's market like we have around here, buyers are desperate for anything so home prices are already inflated - essentially the inflated value comes first and foremost from the fact that it's a house in which humans can live, and "how good are the upgrades and materials in this house" are such a distantly third-consideration thing that they just cannot have a significant affect on the pricing. (The "second" thing is location, poo poo like school district and neighborhood safety and commute access.)

So, yeah, the capitalism, and especially the perverted brand of capitalism that is the california housing market, in which the supposedly amelioratory power of the state to regulate the market has been bent over the opposite way to actually make all the relevant problems of capitalism even worse rather than tone them down.

I don't intend to spend my retirement in this house, so putting a bunch of money into a metal roof is just giving a free gift to the next owner out of my own pocket, and gently caress that guy, I'd rather keep my money.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My family's house has clay tiles that are 40 years old without any work needed, they still look great. But I think those things are heavy as hell so you can't just decide to toss them on your shingled roof.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know. My dad worked in the mines in Libby, and large swathes of my family are part of the class action lawsuit(s).

welp, srry, you know what's up then; my grandpa still gets silicosis + whitefinger comp cheques, and he mined for silver, not "Mining: Basically Digging Up Poison edition"
can't let a perceived claim of mining companies being benevolent actors go unchallenged

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 25, 2019

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Please do not let harlequin kitchens become a trend.

Also, what the heck is that ceiling?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

What's a harlequin kitchen? From a cursory search it seems to be kitchens that have the black and white diamond-shaped tiles, but I don't see it in the picture you posted.

I just noticed the colors of the cabinets. :cripes:

While the color of the cabinets suck, if they got rid of that industrial-style ceiling the kitchen will come together a lot more nicely.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 25, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ambrose Burnside posted:

metal roofs are incredibly fuckin loud when it rains, like shockingly loud in my experience, has anybody solved that yet (to be fair i assume an attic as a sound-damping buffer would help a lot)

It's shockingly loud when it's just a metal roof. Like until you get used to it you think there is a driving rainstorm when it's just sprinkling a bit. A metal roof with double bubble under it, attached to the purlins with R-30C insulation under those and then sheetrock in a cathedral ceiling isn't loud at all (that's how I built the office extension off off the pole barn at my old house).

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

HardDiskD posted:

What's a harlequin kitchen? From a cursory search it seems to be kitchens that have the black and white diamond-shaped tiles, but I don't see it in the picture you posted.

I just noticed the colors of the cabinets. :cripes:

While the color of the cabinets suck, if they got rid of that industrial-style ceiling the kitchen will come together a lot more nicely.

Cabinets, countertops, hardware, appliances, they even did mismatched covers on the wall outlets.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
the covers arent even a problem because it takes 1 dollar to replace them, it's the fact that they are inconsistently aligned and at different heights.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Youth Decay posted:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

pity about the poop on the corners

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Someone design me a Cabinet of DR. Calligari house, I find my way much too easily.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I have to admire someone who knows what they like and just goes for it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Motronic posted:

It's shockingly loud when it's just a metal roof. Like until you get used to it you think there is a driving rainstorm when it's just sprinkling a bit. A metal roof with double bubble under it, attached to the purlins with R-30C insulation under those and then sheetrock in a cathedral ceiling isn't loud at all (that's how I built the office extension off off the pole barn at my old house).

Growing up in rural Australia, everyone had corrugated metal roofs and the sound of rain on one is still magical to me.

Corrugated iron is cheap and plentiful and, in a dry desert climate, lasts for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s61TmfE3zY4

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’ve only ever lived in one has that hasn’t had a tin roof. They’re loud in a downpour but with anticon and insulation in the ceiling it’s not that bad and almost comforting.
In addition to that most older houses round my area are weatherboard cladding with timber lining and zero insulation. It’s not too hard to do the upgrade but not many do cause 100 year old weatherboard tends to be fairly brittle given they’re often made of cedar.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I see less Alice in Wonderland and more Borderlands. Don't tell me those cabinets aren't cel shaded.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Enos Cabell posted:

I see less Alice in Wonderland and more Borderlands. Don't tell me those cabinets aren't cel shaded.

Procedurally generated interior decoration.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Procedurally generated interior decoration.

.kkriegerhouse.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Looks like someone came through and scent-marked every surface with their anus

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Modus Pwnens posted:

I have to admire someone who knows what they like and just goes for it. keeps going after getting halfway through and realizing their quirky idea isn't as great as they thought.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

HAPPINESS is a
KITCHEN full of
~~~--~~~~-
zzzxxzzxxxxxz
SMILES

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

Those are plastic mesh tiles. Normally, they're used in places where the space above the drop ceiling is being used as the return plenum for the HVAC. Even then, you only use one or two for a room and the rest are normal solid tiles. Making an entire roof those tiles eliminates the energy savings of a drop ceiling.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Growing up in rural Australia, everyone had corrugated metal roofs and the sound of rain on one is still magical to me.

Corrugated iron is cheap and plentiful and, in a dry desert climate, lasts for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s61TmfE3zY4

One of the rain options in the "Storm" app I use to get to sleep sometimes uses rain on a tin roof, and it's my go-to. Then again, I'm the guy who sleeps like a baby through a Texas thunderstorm.

My parents put a steel roof on their house (North Texas, house from the '30s, added on to several times) some years ago, but they intend to live there the rest of their lives. In the town where I live, I don't think I even have the option, unless I use the expensive coated stuff that looks like normal asphalt shingles. That may have changed from the last time I looked, but since my roof is now only 3 months old, irellevant. Amazingly, no crappy construction was found during the shingling, just a few pieces of decking had to be replaced. I was stunned.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kid sinister posted:

Those are plastic mesh tiles. Normally, they're used in places where the space above the drop ceiling is being used as the return plenum for the HVAC. Even then, you only use one or two for a room and the rest are normal solid tiles. Making an entire roof those tiles eliminates the energy savings of a drop ceiling.

Nah, I don't think those are open grille tiles. They're just textured to be fancier than your average office white fiber tiles.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
We got a metal roof a year or so ago and I was disappointed it wasn't noisier in the rain. Like, can't even tell a difference from the old shingle roof. It's not like I've got the best insulated attic in the world either, so I dunno.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
lets do a 180° from roofs, to stairs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mustache why?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Zipperelli. posted:

imagine the smell

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zipperelli. posted:

Do you have stairs in your hair?
I am disgusted.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

Jerry Cotton posted:

.kkriegerhouse.

Woof, that's a deep cut. A+

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You also see it a lot in Scandinavia, like in Iceland or Denmark, and I've always been curious why. Personally I love the brightly colored roofs and brightly colored homes in those countries!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Snow. You also see metal roofs in areas of New England and other snowy parts of the US that have enough money.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

We got a metal roof a year or so ago and I was disappointed it wasn't noisier in the rain. Like, can't even tell a difference from the old shingle roof. It's not like I've got the best insulated attic in the world either, so I dunno.

There's some sound insulation material that can be put between the trusses and the roof

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Looks like someone came through and scent-marked every surface with their anus

The anal smears really hide the dirt!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Zipperelli. posted:

I had no idea you could make stairs out of Cousin Itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's the inside of Rapunzel's tower.