Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Siegkrow posted:

Especially those of us who didn't grow up with it and can see it for the crap it is.

Exhibit A: Rock the Dragon.

gently caress you, rock the dragon is a classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wark Say posted:

As far as Adult Goku goes, it's a mixed bag, but Laura Torres is the best kid Goku/Gohan/Goten voice by so much it ain't even funny.

Agreed, but also, Mario Castañeda is the best adult Goku too when his age doesn't stop him from properly screaming.

And even there he's far from the best VA in the correct dub, that's almost definitely Gerardo Reyero as Freezer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Rock the dragon is so Z it hurts.

It would be awful for the original Dragonball

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of VA's that have seen better days, hearing Mitsuo Iwata is always a treat, even if he cannot shout like he used to in his 20's and 30's. When he popped up in Senryu Girl as the silly, overprotective dad, for a second I felt he was gonna go all Kusanagi on our ears. :mmmhmm:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Rock the dragon is so Z it hurts.

It would be awful for the original Dragonball

Well it's just as well they didn't use it for the original Dragon Ball. The theme song is a bit weird for that, it feels like an overly literal translation that still manages to fit the meter.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I grew up with the ocean dub so let me tell you that the funi dub is far superior at this point.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Blaze Dragon posted:

Agreed, but also, Mario Castañeda is the best adult Goku too when his age doesn't stop him from properly screaming.

And even there he's far from the best VA in the correct dub, that's almost definitely Gerardo Reyero as Freezer.

Good. Yes. Even if I've come to prefer the original Japanese voices I still think the Latino dub is the best Z dub.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
edit: You know what im just gonna save myself the trouble. Gogeta looks great hope Broly isnt too far off.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 25, 2019

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big Green Big Green BIG GREEN

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsRcEBUsur0
dubs good

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Peter Kelamis Goku the best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The English dubs of DBZ have always been overall pretty wonky and goofy, but that kinda adds to the whole charm. It's a lot like pro wrestling.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I like Nozawa the best, but I liked her when she was in her prime. My first exposure to Dragon Ball was entirely 90s and early 00s internet clips. I really loved how insane of a scream she pulled off during the Saiyan Saga Vegeta fight. I still like her, but, you know, she's old and can't SCREAM like that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Dragon Ball in all forms, in all languages

Especially German

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I grew up with the ocean dub so let me tell you that the funi dub is far superior at this point.

They had 20 years to get that good at their roles and Vegeta’s OG still loving slayed it when he got to guest star in Super

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ocean dub is my favorite (grew up with it) I love the laser sounds they add to ki blasts.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Ocean Dub gave me the line about the parachutes and the Bardock being a brilliant scientist line.

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0&t=33s

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the dub voices are great

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ocean Dub was just hilarious. I WILL SEND YOU TO THE NEXT DIMENSION!

That and HFIL probably the best censor name ever.

Home for Infinite Losers just has a bitter sting to it. You just didn't die, you were a LOSER.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 25, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The ocean dub is basically a perfect capsule for 90s dubs and while it was pretty bad it should never be forgotten

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm very upset there are no clips of Scott Mcneil Android 16 because that is a voice I want to hear even if I heard Scott Mcneil's voice about 60 different ways in 15 different things

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Now I"m actually upset that was a thing.

Scott Mcneil is a treasure.

I did very much enjoy Super dub for letting us get Brian Drummond for one episode. Him shouting GALICK GUN was just.. mmm.. perfect.

edit: Honestly you can say why that's I love TFS, their movie with Turles using Rock the Dragon, and all their references to the ocean/funi dub.

double edit: The fact with Bardock they did the scientist reference twice was great. Granted one was after credits.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 25, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I will admit that Vegeta's VA and Scott Mcneiil loving own, but Goku's krillin's and gohan's voice are complete rear end and Dameon Clark is a way better cell.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 25, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shindragon posted:

Home for Infinite Losers just has a bitter sting to it. You just didn't die, you were a LOSER.

The best part is that Super made HFIL canon.

Funny thing it totally makes sense that HFIL is the low security part of Hell where henchmen go

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The dubs for the first three movies in their original Pioneer releases are fuckin outstanding, Peter Kelamis in The World's Strongest :discourse:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

English dub with Faulconer score is the best, come at me.

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 25, 2019

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Satan's opinion everybody.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm not big on the falcouner score but that ssj3 scene is dope with his music, ngl

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

Tbh I think Satan's opinion is thinking Z's original broadcast dub is better than Kai's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goLScf4lyUc

I remember laughing my rear end off as a kid at Piccolo going "Just what I wanted for breakfast!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT2NEflsGTY

That old script, man, drat lmao

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Siegkrow posted:

I wonder who's going to take after Ishizuka because while Daisuke Gouri was a great voice actor, Unshou Ishizuka was perfect as Mister Satan. The right mix of unwarranted self-importance, goofy bravado and cowardice that made Mr. Satan even more endearing. Like, the voice itself wasn't all that different from what he used in other great roles as Joseph Joestar and Heihachi Mishima (another character in which he replaced the late Gouri), but the way he worked it and let himself kinda "take over" Mr. Satan was very fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Good soup! posted:

Tbh I think Satan's opinion is thinking Z's original broadcast dub is better than Kai's

The only way I'd say the original is better than the Kai one is the original broadcast dub had a much more interesting changing for Super Buu's voice as he progressed compared the Kai one. In the original broadcast dub he speaks a lot more like he's struggling to really talk as he was just formed and it gives the impression that while powerful he's a little savage, but then as fights Gotenks his speaking starts to clear up more and he shows he's actually not just a savage brute and is pretty menacing as his voice becomes clearer and he speaks more complete sentences. Idk if this was a result of the dub just not knowing what to do with Super Buu at first and Justin Cook finding his footing with voicing Super Buu, but I thought it made him seem very different from the ways they handled the Frieza and Cell transformations in a kind of cool way as far as the vocal range is concerned. Compare it to the Kai dub where his voice is definitely a lot more just brutish and deep (And it sounds like they put a filter on it too) which while definitely more consistent feels a lot less special, it's like my only real complaint though because god knows every other bit of the Kai dub is generally better.

Compare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0UPdgCT2c4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO8qhVCfY_U

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Captain Baal posted:

I like Dragon Ball in all forms, in all languages

Especially German

This was my afternoon for years, along with German Sailor Moon and Digimon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S1Yupk77pA

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v55t5jnhz5s

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Good soup! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goLScf4lyUc

I remember laughing my rear end off as a kid at Piccolo going "Just what I wanted for breakfast!"

Did Chris forget he was doing Piccolo for that first scene and not Vegeta? Man, it is really weird to go back to the original dub for this show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
17's head in that shot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's my reaction any time Kakarot gets new footage

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Shindragon posted:

Hyperbolic Time Chamber is probably the best dubism of all time tbh.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Not Dragonball but "No, No machine gun for him... Shoot him down!" is up there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

That's my reaction any time Kakarot gets new footage

what, your forehead expands? you should stop watching trailers before you're unable to walk through doorways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

what, your forehead expands? you should stop watching trailers before you're unable to walk through doorways

Too late