Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Is purestrain gold an item in the Climate Trail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Am I in the game?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VideoGameVet posted:

One has to accept that once the game is in the App Stores (I'm taking Climate Trail live on Monday on iOS) you're going to get poo poo-reviews from the deniers.

Love to hear that, I'm gonna raise this poo poo up.

And gently caress those people. They are the walking dead.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

VGV You did a great job, this game is really well done.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 27, 2019

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Tekne posted:

I wish there were more artists like Aurora who directly engage with the destruction of our environment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mc_OM5oNA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvPzwKQKZTc

Movies have been conspicuously mum on the subject, too. Asides from disposable disaster films and post apocalyptic stories, I can't think of any flicks recently that engaged with disastrous climate change. Hell, a film about the intermediate period when global society starts to fray on the edges leading to mass conflict and suffering could succeed in waking some people up. I guess the studio execs don't want to touch on anything relevant enough to rock the boat.
I really hope to see more pop culture and media start to get heavily involved, because art impacts so much and it would really make a difference in awareness. This is something that needs to be hit from as many angles as possible.

With the ones you linked though (which are awesome and introduced me to new music), that makes a grand total of three contemporary songs I'm aware of that deal directly with climate change, and the one I knew of was a metal band which is something no one ever takes seriously anyway :v: (at least outside of Europe): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl9Nf7NBWA8

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

How are u posted:

Just rub it on the wound duh

this is what I've done with my silver ingot and I've only lost half a limb so far

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I really hope to see more pop culture and media start to get heavily involved, because art impacts so much and it would really make a difference in awareness. This is something that needs to be hit from as many angles as possible.

With the ones you linked though (which are awesome and introduced me to new music), that makes a grand total of three contemporary songs I'm aware of that deal directly with climate change, and the one I knew of was a metal band which is something no one ever takes seriously anyway :v: (at least outside of Europe): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl9Nf7NBWA8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IPuE-5qH_JE was one of them Toki Wright?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
It's climate strike o'clock

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

that being said I have no idea how to make that topical anti-septic from a bar of silver and I imagine nobody else you're ever likely to meet does either.
ehhhh

a silver bar will be anti-septic by itself, but obviously incredibly inefficient. the most popular form these days is a strip of silver bent into a coil to maximize surface area like so: https://www.amazon.co.uk/50cm-Silver-Bezel-0-41mm-3-18mm/dp/B00ON7GFNM. silver isn't much harder to work with than gold, so if you find a bar you can make a strip with just a hammer, some firewood, stones, and bellows (and ideally a friend to help operate the bellows and wield a second hammer, doing this solo is going to be extremely rough), and a week of sore muscles.

dunk a few of these into your rain barrel and you'll have less issues with weird green poo poo growing in your water. you will want some kind of device (probably a wooden windmill?) to stir your water at least a few times a day tho, or it won't work all that well.

and now you know how to do that. it won't be anywhere near perfect and you'll still probably die from some sort of food poisoning eventually, but also far, far better than nothing all the same. just hope you're not allergic to silver :v:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Mata posted:

It's climate strike o'clock

I feel bad this second one is going to be minimal. The Trump stuff stole the public attention from last week.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The new Tool album has a song called "Descending" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcSoLwFisaw which is pretty clearly referencing climate change and our collective failure to deal with it.

"Sound the dread alarm - Through our primal body
Sound the reveille - To be or not to be...
Rise. Stay the grand finale.
Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue.
One. Drive. To. Stay Alive.
Elementary - Muster every fiber
Mobilize. Stay alive!"

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
tool is awful and maynard is a chud idk why goons cant stop talking about them

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

cargo cult posted:

Yeah well the music you enjoy is bad so there.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

cargo cult posted:

Quality hot take

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Admiral Ray posted:

Is purestrain gold an item in the Climate Trail?

Sorry no. But there's plenty of Sorghum cakes.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

VGV You did a great job, this game is really well done.

Thank you so much. Even though I've been in the video game industry (with few breaks) since the dawn of recorded history, I hadn't coded a game in decades.

I really appreciate the response.

Maybe I should just turn on the iPad/iPhone versions today.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VideoGameVet posted:

Sorry no. But there's plenty of Sorghum cakes.

It might be needless filler, but I kind of wonder if your game wouldn't benefit from people musing about what they *miss* from "the world before The Burn" when you're stuck waiting out something like a violent storm. That might make it more relatable to kids without being exceptionally morbid, because it'd give them that ever-important kick in the head that the vices and creature comforts they take for granted are constantly balanced on the head of a needle.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'll be at the Vancouver climate strike today, I hope any other Vancouver goons here walk the walk as well.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It might be needless filler, but I kind of wonder if your game wouldn't benefit from people musing about what they *miss* from "the world before The Burn" when you're stuck waiting out something like a violent storm. That might make it more relatable to kids without being exceptionally morbid, because it'd give them that ever-important kick in the head that the vices and creature comforts they take for granted are constantly balanced on the head of a needle.

Yes, this is the next big thing. I want to have the characters talk about the past, what's been lost, their families etc. and I want to "spread that science out."

Of course if the scientist has died, well you won't get that. But I have the basis for a system of characters talking about stuff already (key word stuff) and I can expand on that.

I'd also like to have more 'adventure' aspects, like the feral boy encounter. And have the ex-military guy make comments about supplies before you run out. Maybe even add weight of the pushed bikes into the movement equation (I didn't do this at first because the game is difficult as it is).

Thank you.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Don't forget the future deniers saying that things are the fault of liberals and scientists who failed to warn the public properly and implement measures, and who think things can't possibly get any worse.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Don't forget the future deniers saying that things are the fault of liberals and scientists who failed to warn the public properly and implement measures, and who think things can't possibly get any worse.

Of course.

Hey, what's with all those skeletons hanging from the lampposts?

Well you see ...

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Rime posted:

I'll be at the Vancouver climate strike today, I hope any other Vancouver goons here walk the walk as well.

Need to have lunch then omw to the Nanaimo strike.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VideoGameVet posted:

Thank you so much. Even though I've been in the video game industry (with few breaks) since the dawn of recorded history, I hadn't coded a game in decades.

I really appreciate the response.

Maybe I should just turn on the iPad/iPhone versions today.

I really want you to, because I need to play this all night

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, this is the next big thing. I want to have the characters talk about the past, what's been lost, their families etc. and I want to "spread that science out."

Of course if the scientist has died, well you won't get that. But I have the basis for a system of characters talking about stuff already (key word stuff) and I can expand on that.

I'd also like to have more 'adventure' aspects, like the feral boy encounter. And have the ex-military guy make comments about supplies before you run out. Maybe even add weight of the pushed bikes into the movement equation (I didn't do this at first because the game is difficult as it is).

Thank you.

Also, maybe in lieu of the old "do you attempt to ford the river or spend time going to the safer crossing" quandary of the original Oregon Trail, maybe obstacles or shortcuts like "crossing a large field of tall grass" and/or having to decide if you spend time looking for ticks on everyone, or going through a swamp and risking tons of mosquito bites and potential disease. EEE's already becoming an :ohdear: situation, and that's *BEFORE* this 'theoretical' future.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Got this error when my party was dying of starvation in the 6C scenario:

code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 888, in <module>
  File "game/climate_screens.rpy", line 62, in speak
KeyError: u'Bon'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 803, in script call
  File "script.rpyc", line 888, in script
  File "C:\Games\ClimateTrail-1.5-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 912, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Games\ClimateTrail-1.5-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2004, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/script.rpy", line 888, in <module>
  File "game/climate_screens.rpy", line 62, in speak
KeyError: u'Bon'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.2.320
The Climate Trail 1.5
Fri Sep 27 18:58:09 2019

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Could that have been caused by the computer overheating?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

An emaciated boy in the Climatr Trail asked me for water. I calmly linked 3 youtube videos to him and explained climate change doesnt exist i continued on my way to canada soon after

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Rime posted:

Hey dude - I was there with my son, my daughters a little too young and gently caress pushing a stroller. It was a good crowd. gently caress Andrew Scheer hard.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I cannot loving wait to see what happens next year when nothing is still being done. Or in a few months! Who knows.

In other news, Extinction Rebellion is ramping up for another week starting October 7 and I’ll probably never work in my field again after that. :munch:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
What kind of job do you do where attending a climate change protest will get you blacklisted from the entire industry?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

iOS version is out.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-climate-trail/id1479119216

I’ll look for that bug. Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

What kind of job do you do where attending a climate change protest will get you blacklisted from the entire industry?

Education. And it will involve more than “attending”. XR is all about getting arrested and poo poo.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VideoGameVet posted:

iOS version is out.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-climate-trail/id1479119216

I’ll look for that bug. Thanks.

Ahhhhhhhhh I'm deeply into this poo poo, I'm drunk as hell, and I'm sitting in a bar alone playing this game.

Thank you brother. I'm going to spam this to everybody I know.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mdemone posted:

Ahhhhhhhhh I'm deeply into this poo poo, I'm drunk as hell, and I'm sitting in a bar alone playing this game.

Thank you brother. I'm going to spam this to everybody I know.

Same. I mean I’m in bed, but I’m drunk and playing this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dude it's bug-ridden on the opening. I can't type my name in.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

squirrelzipper posted:

Hey dude - I was there with my son, my daughters a little too young and gently caress pushing a stroller. It was a good crowd. gently caress Andrew Scheer hard.

:hfive: One goon found me during it, somehow. Biggest protest in forty years in this city!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lol the letter "a" fucks the name

Edit: letter "a" kicks the name to "accept this game"

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

squirrelzipper posted:

gently caress Andrew Scheer hard.

Seconded. Such a very, very, stupid little man. I'm waiting for him to call for cancelling the demolition of the Georgia Viaduct and starting the bulldozing for the connecting freeways.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is there a games thread for the game? My xr chaper had our declaration of rebellion today and it was great. If anyone is on the fence about joining just loving do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nice piece of fish posted:

In most famines, people stay home and move as little as possible. A mass starvation will not look like locusts decending, it will look like the black death. Ghost towns, corpse filled houses. Unless order fails completely.

1840s Ireland and America disagree with you. Lots of people did this yeah, but millions absolutely moved over an ocean before we'd discovered black gold in them thar hills.