Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

quantumfoam posted:

-A lot of Big Name authors have recently been revealed as sex predators or worse. That kind of discussion is OK in here, no one published (especially your favorite authors) is without blame.

I'm without blame :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Grimson posted:

Gamechanger just came out, and it's a little like if Too Like the Lightning was written by that crowd instead of a classics professor, and also set only like 100-150 years in the future.
By L. X. Beckett? I do love a good X initial. Another book for the list...

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The upcoming thread would be the third thread. It would be nice if the OP could link to both previous ones for those with archives.

Here's the first:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345499

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

I don't mind which title you use, it's your call. I just meant it's better to have the thread rules in the OP rather than referring people to a closed thread. This last line doesn't quite make sense, though. I think you mean something more like:

-We know some Big Name authors are sex predators or worse. That kind of discussion is OK in here; there are no sacred cows.

That's a good line change, keeping it.
Sort of expected more community feedback on my proposed new SFF Megathread 3 OP text, will take the deadening silence as approval.

thread relevant chat:
Wasn't Orbit books supposed to be releasing The Culture: Notes and Drawings ISBN 9780356512129 by Iain Banks/Ken MacLeod by now?
Found nothing mentioned or listed on the Orbit website for it, amazon shows a placeholder stub listing, with reddit having a guessitmate release date of June 2019.
Guessing Ken MacLeod brain-meltdown 3.0 happened, this time caused by Brexit drama.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 27, 2019

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Happy to help.

General Battuta posted:

This is what I meant... The other thing was that it's hardly recent in many cases.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

By L. X. Beckett? I do love a good X initial. Another book for the list...

Yep, it's that one. It starts out pretty goofy but picks up noticeably around the halfway point as the stakes become clear.

edit: It's probably also worth mentioning that if you suffer from any climate change anxiety the book is ultimately hopeful about the long-term future, but unlikely to make you feel any better about the short-term outcomes.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 27, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

General Battuta posted:

I dunno, I bet you eat pizza with a knife and fork or something

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grimson posted:

Gamechanger just came out, and it's a little like if Too Like the Lightning was written by that crowd instead of a classics professor, and also set only like 100-150 years in the future.

so, 2 like 2 lightning (I'll never stop thinking of it like that now), but somewhat worse

I'll still get it

Ada Palmer is v cool in person incidentally :3: we had a little bit of social overlap while she was in Texas

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

so, 2 like 2 lightning (I'll never stop thinking of it like that now), but somewhat worse

I'll still get it

Ada Palmer is v cool in person incidentally :3: we had a little bit of social overlap while she was in Texas

I think I ultimately like TLTL a little bit better, but not that much better. It's still pretty interesting.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Has anyone in here read The Dragon Waiting by John M Ford? I'd never heard of it until stumbling across it in goodreads today, and historical fiction with vampires sounds... yeah, silly, but this one sounds cool. Especially when it's described like this:

quote:

"This is a sneaky, sneaky book: a blood-soaked medieval fantasy; an elegant historical AU; a bleak, gritty political thriller; a witty Shakespeare fanfic; an intricate meta game full of buried jokes about Star Wars and Dracula; and a deeply serious and mature story about human damage (whether trauma or “chronic conditions”) and how we bear it, about suffering and grace."

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I just got a copy last week and am two chapters in. I've been trying to check out SF authors that had good reps, especially amongst their fellow writers, but are increasingly forgotten today, so Ford, R.A. Lafferty and some others.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone in here read The Dragon Waiting by John M Ford? I'd never heard of it until stumbling across it in goodreads today, and historical fiction with vampires sounds... yeah, silly, but this one sounds cool. Especially when it's described like this:

I read it a long time ago (20-ish years?) and remember liking it a whole bunch, but I was dumb in those days.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

fritz posted:

I read it a long time ago (20-ish years?) and remember liking it a whole bunch, but I was dumb in those days.

I'm dumb now so I went ahead and ordered it bundled with Daggerspell + Darkspell because why the hell not. Give me more books, internet. Drown me in them, it's the only way I can cope.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ford is pretty consistently great, imo. If you ever want to see him go full gonzo, read How Much For Just The Planet?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Ford is pretty consistently great, imo. If you ever want to see him go full gonzo, read How Much For Just The Planet?

:yeah:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I rarely buy physical books anymore but I'm visiting Austin TX and they have a really cool, really big independent book store. I picked up Penguin editions of The Left Hand of Darkness and The Once and Future King, two books I've always wanted to read and now I have some that will look nice on the bookshelf.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's a very unusual and ambitious book. It takes a long time for the main plot to get started, and the structure is quite disjointed; the first five chapters are essentially four short stories. And there are some bits which are so obscure as to be a fault in the telling. On the other hand, it's vivid, gory, humane, and has a pretty unusual setting. I recommend it.

You might find this useful if you've read the novel: https://eblong.com/draconc/index.html
(Oh, the Charles Williams quotations are ironic; they're from his Arthurian poetry, in which Byzantium is essentially the City of God on earth.)

Shouldn't that Star Wars reference be Star Trek, by the way?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Am about 25% through the scifi story collection The Final Frontier edited by Neil Clarke.
So far the worse story in the collection has been Seth Dickinson's "Three Bodies at Mittani". The over-blown imagery laden inter-personal conflict inside 3BAM that takes up 85% of the story would have been much more bearable if 3BAM didn't also have a cheap "having your cake + eating it too" ending. Have to blame Neil Clarke somewhat for this, putting 3BAM so close to Nancy Kress's "Shiva in Shadow" in the collection was just asking for an unfavorable comparison between the two stories, given the similar story elements in both. Kress's story also dealt with a 3 person triad inter-personal conflict and virtualized minds, but in a different way.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Long ago I tried and gave up on Peter F. Hamilton's Void series after enjoying the Nights Dawn trilogy as a dumb teen. Well I've just finished all 8 in published order and it was a pretty fun space opera, as long as you skip past the fairly crappy sex poo poo he couldn't help but put in every few chapters.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm reading Declare by Tim Powers, and I'm wondering if it gets better or the payoff is worth it?

Right now the story is just spy and counter spy and counter spy spy shenanigans (that aren't really that much fun). It's kinda boring. Will the payoff of THE HORRORS HE'S SEEN be worth the read or is it gonna be some lame rear end Lovecraftian "OH poo poo MY ANCESTOR hosed A MONKEY GOD" kinda thing?

I've heard good things about the book, but honestly it's kinda boring right now. I'll push through if it gets better though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's really good, but if you don't think so by now it may not be for you. I don't remember it getting weirdly racist, at least.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's really good, but if you don't think so by now it may not be for you. I don't remember it getting weirdly racist, at least.

On this note, was anyone else thrown by the protagonist dropping a hard R near the end of Darwin's Radio by Bear?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm reading Declare by Tim Powers, and I'm wondering if it gets better or the payoff is worth it?

Right now the story is just spy and counter spy and counter spy spy shenanigans (that aren't really that much fun). It's kinda boring. Will the payoff of THE HORRORS HE'S SEEN be worth the read or is it gonna be some lame rear end Lovecraftian "OH poo poo MY ANCESTOR hosed A MONKEY GOD" kinda thing?

I've heard good things about the book, but honestly it's kinda boring right now. I'll push through if it gets better though.

I think it's probably worth it. For me generally, Powers has better ideas than he does execution. Somehow the pacing always gets a little off and what should be an exciting adventure gets a little draggy. I totally get feeling like the spy stuff is boring. Further that one has some issues where some neat bits are overly alluded to before you get to them in the flashback and they lose impact. That being said, the payoff is quite good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

It’s fantastic almost all the way through but if you’re not enjoying it already maybe it’s not for you.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Cover and brief excerpt from Harrow the Ninth.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Second person past is a loving choice, whew

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Is "lesbian necromancers" actually working as a selling point? It's like of all the descriptors you could use for Gideon or Harrow, that's the cheapest and least defining?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Nae! posted:

oy vey.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I started reading The Monster Baru Cormorant because my new job has had stretches where I don't have anything to do and I didn't want to get bored. The introduction of new POVs has taken some getting used to, but otherwise it's been pretty good so far.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I had the exact same issue early on, but I did finish it and really enjoy it by the end. However it sounds like you gave the book a chance and if it's not working for you it's okay to move on.

There are unambiguously good novels I've stopped when they weren't working for me. I started Pride and Prejudice from a recommendation from the Aubrey/Maturin series thread and the writing stood out immediately as witty and clever but the plot didn't grab me at all and I put it down. I'll give it another go someday, as I struggled the first time I tried to read Master and Commander and went back to it a year(+) later and now it and its sequels are my favorite novels. Maybe Declare will work better for you some other day.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Nae! posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Also...bewb armor. Looks like a winner.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Nae! posted:

I imagine it will switch after the prologue. I hope.

Cover looks good, though.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Campbell posted:

Is "lesbian necromancers" actually working as a selling point? It's like of all the descriptors you could use for Gideon or Harrow, that's the cheapest and least defining?

It probably is working, but I agree that's a cheap description that does the book and the series as a whole a disservice. The only thing more of a footnote than the characters' sexualities is the space setting. Neither of which, for the record, cause problems with the book. It's a great book and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes unique second-world fantasy with sharp prose and a modern feel. What I wouldn't recommend it for is a) lesbians, and b) space-faring. If you want books where lesbianism is the focus or space is the focus, you can do better elsewhere.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Nae! posted:

It probably is working, but I agree that's a cheap description that does the book and the series as a whole a disservice. The only thing more of a footnote than the characters' sexualities is the space setting. Neither of which, for the record, cause problems with the book. It's a great book and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes unique second-world fantasy with sharp prose and a modern feel. What I wouldn't recommend it for is a) lesbians, and b) space-faring. If you want books where lesbianism is the focus or space is the focus, you can do better elsewhere.

Didn't the author do an interview where she basically said the publisher latched on to that, and she basically intended it the way you described?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nae! posted:

I mean, Harrow absorbed Gideon’s memories/personality/power/whatever, so maybe we’re getting a Gideon viewpoint after all.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's worked for the book because it's flash and catchy but yeah, it's a very technically accurate description.

In other news, boy Ninefox is weird as poo poo, I'm diggin' it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Second person worked in Raven Tower, I’m sure it can work here.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Solitair posted:

I started reading The Monster Baru Cormorant because my new job has had stretches where I don't have anything to do and I didn't want to get bored. The introduction of new POVs has taken some getting used to, but otherwise it's been pretty good so far.

I recently finished reading Traitor and Monster and I thought they were very good. I was worried they’d be too smart for me and was hoping for political intrigue on the approximate level of Dune and I feel like that’s what I got. The political scheming feels like it kinda recedes to the background in the second book

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Second person worked in Raven Tower, I’m sure it can work here.

Everyone whined about it in Raven Tower too, even though I feel like it had a perfectly fine reason for being written that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Both Raven Tower and Broken Earth were fantastic. Bring on more second person.