Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Nur_Neerg posted:

Anyone know if this is the correct base for AK pigments? Been wanting to mess around with them, but having a hard time finding this stuff in stock.

https://www.usagundamstore.com/collections/alclad-ii/products/alclad-ii-4oz-bottle-gloss-black-base?variant=3219059140

Someone in my local group whipped up a tutorial for using the AK pigments: https://tinyurl.com/ArKomTutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Nur_Neerg posted:

Anyone know if this is the correct base for AK pigments? Been wanting to mess around with them, but having a hard time finding this stuff in stock.

https://www.usagundamstore.com/collections/alclad-ii/products/alclad-ii-4oz-bottle-gloss-black-base?variant=3219059140

Any gloss black base works for metallic pigments.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If anyone is in the market for a display case a bit classier than the venerable IKEA DETOLF, check out the IKEA MILSBO.

It’s also incredibly easy to wire up LED light strips in the front corners. If anyone is interested, I can list exactly the parts that I used.

Here’s how mine looks: https://i.imgur.com/HQvOdyL.jpg

Anyone have recommendations for risers?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

That Gobbo posted:

Someone in my local group whipped up a tutorial for using the AK pigments: https://tinyurl.com/ArKomTutorial

That guide is awesome! Thanks for the help dudes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hello Kitty Gunpla confirmed

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Gripweed posted:

It's Machop.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Gripweed posted:

Let me know when Aggretsuko gunpla is confirmed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Look at the ears; it's clearly Jigglypuff riding the body of an RX-78

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Not quite. It's the regular SD-EX RX-78 and a model of Hello Kitty and they fit together somehow.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1177408787340120064

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Posted this in the discord so it could be old news, but I'll throw it up here as well. Just finished up this build and am trying to learn my camera and lighting nonsense. I also scratched the paint while transporting it after taking this shot

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Oh dang, that's a cool robit.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Just got my favorite gundam to build HG Master Gundam & Fuunsaiki.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Extremely fresh

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah that's sick. Which one is it. You know for research (add to backlog)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Got a 1/144 HG Wing, and I'm curious to see how it compares to the old wing from the early days of the US boom

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

iospace posted:

Got a 1/144 HG Wing, and I'm curious to see how it compares to the old wing from the early days of the US boom

Given how monumentally lovely the No grade GW 144s were in the early 2000s, I am curious as well.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I was throwing out some really old poo poo earlier this morning and came across my 1/144 Wing and Wing Zero. They're shiiiiiiit.

http://www.dalong.net/reviews/old/w01/w01.htm

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I can vouch that the new HG Wing and Wing Zero are really great! Way better colour accuracy and poseability, they're a lot of fun to play with

Also yeah when I think of old Wing HGs I just think about the Completely Red Feet like the picture above lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Merilan posted:

I can vouch that the new HG Wing and Wing Zero are really great! Way better colour accuracy and poseability, they're a lot of fun to play with

Also yeah when I think of old Wing HGs I just think about the Completely Red Feet like the picture above lol

The HG Wing Gundam was the first in the All Gundam Project, when they started putting real effort into their design and standardization.

They got some real mileage out of it too, considering there's like five variants including the Build Fighters iterations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The HG Wing Gundam was the first in the All Gundam Project, when they started putting real effort into their design and standardization.

They got some real mileage out of it too, considering there's like five variants including the Build Fighters iterations.

The Wing Zero Honoo is an excellent kit!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't say "started". The Wing's basic arm and leg setup first appeared on the 0 Gundam. The AGP was definitely another step forward, with backpacks becoming more standardized, but there are still occasional remold kits using obsolete joint systems.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace posted:

Verdict: a lot higher quality. The elbow and knee joints are plastic instead of PC into a nub on another part, the hands are plastic, not PC, the shield actually opens up to store the beam saber, shoulders are multiple pieces, not stickers, the leg articulation improved, the rifle actually slides into a slot in the shield for bird mode, the grip folds into the rifle...

I could go on :v: I'll get some pics shortly.

I think the biggest change is not using stickers for major sections but for highlights only.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Argas posted:

I was throwing out some really old poo poo earlier this morning and came across my 1/144 Wing and Wing Zero. They're shiiiiiiit.

http://www.dalong.net/reviews/old/w01/w01.htm

Looking back on these kits, which I loved at the time, I'm amazed that anyone stuck with GunPla when this was our introduction to it.

On a related note, my crate that I shipped to myself, from myself, arrived with my Gundam Base and Akihabara haul in it:

Figuring out the Japanese postal system as a tourist was An Experience, but I'm amazed that this thing (which I shipped Thursday from Kyoto) arrived yesterday, and my luggage, which was supposed to be on my flight Sunday, still hasn't.

The Titanium Tallgeese was the most expensive thing in the box, but I'm probably most excited about that 300 yen FG Zaku, just to see it posed next to the RG Char's Zaku, which I think will be hilarious.

EDIT: Ok I'm probably most excited for the RG Sazabi with the clear armor, but the FG Zaku is going to slay it on price/enjoyment ratio.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 1, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ANAmal.net posted:

Looking back on these kits, which I loved at the time, I'm amazed that anyone stuck with GunPla when this was our introduction to it.

It's the big reason why I was hesitant to buy a 1/144. My reintroduction was buying an MG 1/100 kit. I'll probably stick to 1/144s from here on out, they're actually nice now.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

iospace posted:

It's the big reason why I was hesitant to buy a 1/144. My reintroduction was buying an MG 1/100 kit. I'll probably stick to 1/144s from here on out, they're actually nice now.

Many fine options out there. Recent RGs like Unicorn, Sazabi, and Nu, and some earlier ones like the Mk. II are extremely nice. Of course the big ones here cost about as much as a 'regular' MG.

HG revives are pretty nice and cheap, Gouf and Grandpa are good simple kits. The Origin Char's Zaku is great. Moon Gundam is almost an RG in terms of detail, it's great.

I built the NG Wing and Mercurius in high school and was also surprised a few months ago when I discovered that Gunpla was actually good and cool instead of just sort of bad.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Puddin posted:

Yeah that's sick. Which one is it. You know for research (add to backlog)

It's the Cherudim Gundam Saga Type GBF. The base kit is decidedly extremely gray so I wanted to do something flashier.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Zodack posted:

Posted this in the discord so it could be old news, but I'll throw it up here as well. Just finished up this build and am trying to learn my camera and lighting nonsense. I also scratched the paint while transporting it after taking this shot

Looks terrific, do you have any WIP pictures? What's it made from?

Edit: took too long posting!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I dunno, looking back I think the old 144 kits have a little charm to them. I picked up some of the reissues of the original gundam kits when I was at gundam base for basically the same reason, they've come a long way and I think its neat to see examples of that. Not saying I'd buy a bunch of them and put effort into making them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ANAmal.net posted:

The entire Gunpla craze was started by this

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Blackchamber posted:

I dunno, looking back I think the old 144 kits have a little charm to them. I picked up some of the reissues of the original gundam kits when I was at gundam base for basically the same reason, they've come a long way and I think its neat to see examples of that. Not saying I'd buy a bunch of them and put effort into making them.

My plan was literally to do this exact thing with the Wing Bois, but then I actually looked at the kits in person and yikes. Then again I did buy the 1980s Zaku so what the gently caress do I know.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gripweed posted:

When I was at Gundam Base this kit was sold out, and I was super disappointed and I had to buy one online. I think theres still a ton of fans who cherish that kit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Idea: a line of solid-color gunpla to look like Roman sculpture after all the pigments have worn off

e: lol the gundam's even doing the same pose

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

Looks terrific, do you have any WIP pictures? What's it made from?

Edit: took too long posting!

All my WIP shots are just fully painted pieces disassembled. It's a straight build plus paint so I didn't document it as much as what I am doing now, just some decaling and weapon painting. It was also my third painted build and I worked on it on and off. Glad you (and everyone else) think it's cool!

Feels weird to say because I'm not big on self promotion, but is easier than finding and compiling into an Imgur album. If you want to see more of it I have a few shots up on my Instagram.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 1, 2019

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My introduction to Gunpla was when I was still a kid, I think I had the old NG Epyon. After several years I was given an NG Exia.

No Grades are bad. I don't think the Epyon could even partsform.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Zodack posted:

All my WIP shots are just fully painted pieces disassembled. It's a straight build plus paint so I didn't document it as much as what I am doing now, just some decaling and weapon painting. It was also my third painted build and I worked on it on and off. Glad you (and everyone else) think it's cool!

Feels weird to say because I'm not big on self promotion, but is easier than finding and compiling into an Imgur album. If you want to see more of it I have a few shots up on my Instagram.

Don't be afraid to post build pics, it gives us all ideas that we may not have thought of.

Love the Grimoire kitbash you have on your Instagram.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

ANAmal.net posted:

Mine was this guy. I used nail clippers:

Incredible haul btw

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bloody Pom posted:

My introduction to Gunpla was when I was still a kid, I think I had the old NG Epyon. After several years I was given an NG Exia.

Epyon was one that I wanted, still sort of do. The hilarious thing is that of all the NGs I own, only one is in "decent condition".

Except the nub that held the shield on broke :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

It can.

Some no grades are okay-to-good, like the FLAT from Turn A, but the Wing and G 1/144 kits were pretty bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chiasaur11 posted:

It can.

Some no grades are okay-to-good, like the FLAT from Turn A, but the Wing and G 1/144 kits were pretty bad.

I think the problem with the Wing and G non-grades was they wanted to get them out the door to the US ASAP, seeing as business was booming. It was the model equivalent of shovelware and it showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

iospace posted:

I think the problem with the Wing and G non-grades was they wanted to get them out the door to the US ASAP, seeing as business was booming. It was the model equivalent of shovelware and it showed.

That and there was no comparable HG series for people to upgrade to, unlike with the SEED NGs.