Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

wdarkk posted:

So what you're saying is that Ryan Johnson's trilogy will resurrect Luke and sideline Rey?

Prepare for your expectations to be validated

See what I did there? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Don't most book series completely repeat what happened several books ago?

Isn't that what Harry Potter did with Voldemort? Didn't Harry decisively kill him in The Deathly Hallows and then in the trilogy JK Rowlings just released, it was revealed that Voldemort didn't really die but survived and that his granddaughter was the one who finally killed him?

Isn't that how all stories end?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I see JJ Abrams has been reading the CineD Star Wars threads and has come to the correct conclusion that Sheev Palpatine is the main character of the series.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cheesus posted:

Isn't that what Harry Potter did with Voldemort? Didn't Harry decisively kill him in The Deathly Hallows and then in the trilogy JK Rowlings just released, it was revealed that Voldemort didn't really die but survived and that his granddaughter was the one who finally killed him?

To be fair, I'm not sure we should want to repeat what Rowling's been doing to her series lately.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Impressed that JJ can somehow perfectly reveal his own narcissistic self-justification for being totally bereft of original ideas in the span of three sentences

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

if this is the case then why did you invent Snoke as a character in episode vii you dumbass?

we're supposed to believe that "it has to be Palpatine" when you began the trilogy by inventing a new villain nearly identical to Palpatine?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 30, 2019

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Cheesus posted:

You have a legitimate point but Voldemort is the villain of every book in the series except the 3rd.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cheesus posted:

Jar Jar trilogy when?!?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't the Harry Potter musical actually about Harry's children time travelling and fighting Voldemort or Voldemort's daughter or something

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cheesus posted:

The new movies have nothing to do with Voldemort or Harry.

The stage show has a bunch of very stupid poo poo with time travel and and Voldemort's daughter but it doesn't change how Voldemort died or anything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The new films also aren't direct sequels to the Harry Potter series.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

sigher posted:

The new films also aren't direct sequels to the Harry Potter series.

They are in fact prequels. So far no relative of the main Harry Potter trio are in them, only sexy young Dumbledore and maybe a couple of his older teachers.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cheesus posted:

So we probably shouldn't watch crime shows made by JJ. All of them will end with the Butler being the killer. But with a lens flare!

This could work, you know if there were actual hints. Like maybe you should've had the original cast do a little more as well to tie it all together.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That JJ abrams quote is really sad if it is true

The genre is serialized sci fi / space opera. There can be new characters and new ideas etc.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

When will Nute Gunray's Force ghost appear?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're also loving terrible, so again, not the best model to go by. First one was alright but pretty boring. Second one was batshit crazy bad.

Not that the reason they're terrible is because Voldemort's not in them or anything. I'm just saying.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 1, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

comparing disney star wars to the post-deathly hallows HP stuff is kinda weird because rowling is still very much a big part of the latter, there's been no big break in the continuity of the creative voice behind the series like when lucas sold star wars. which is why abrams trying to spin 9 films as one coherent 'book' is so dumb and leads to the 3 post-lucas movies being way too enamored of what came before to actually do anything new or interesting

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thrawn527 posted:

They're also loving terrible, so again, not the best model to go by. First one was alright but pretty boring. Second one was batshit crazy bad.

Not that the reason they're terrible is because Voldemort's not in them or anything. I'm just saying.

Yeah I don't really get why the comparison was made.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mameluke posted:

Isn't the Harry Potter musical actually about Harry's children time travelling and fighting Voldemort or Voldemort's daughter or something

No, that's the stage play

A Very Potter Musical is a completely different beast

quote:

"The Sorting Hat and The Scarf Of Sexual Preference won't be back until next year, so basically I've just been putting anyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor, anyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin, and the rest can just go wherever the hell they want."

quote:

"I can't go to Pigfarts, it's on Mars! You need a rocketship! Do you have a rocketship, Potter? I bet you do. You know, not all of us inherited enough money to buy out NASA when their parents died. Oh, look at this! Look at this! Rocketship Potter! Starkid Potter! Moonshoes Potter! Traversing the galaxy for intergalactic travels to Pigfarts!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darth TNT posted:

So we probably shouldn't watch crime shows made by JJ. All of them will end with the Butler being the killer. But with a lens flare!

This could work, you know if there were actual hints. Like maybe you should've had the original cast do a little more as well to tie it all together.

I still laugh that they set out to do an entire trilogy about rehashing past poo poo and didn't think to at any point actually put Ford/Fisher/Hamill on screen at the same time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

I still laugh that they set out to do an entire trilogy about rehashing past poo poo and didn't think to at any point actually put Ford/Fisher/Hamill on screen at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that Ford's contract stipulated that he wouldn't kiss Carrie Fisher and that he wouldn't have to be set with Hamill at any time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm pretty sure that Ford's contract stipulated that he wouldn't kiss Carrie Fisher and that he wouldn't have to be set with Hamill at any time.

That's amazing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

That's amazing.

That's probably a joke, because I can't imagine that's true. It's not like Hamill and Ford have bad blood. Ford showed up to Hamill's Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony and gave a speech.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
So did Rose die from her injuries off screen in this leak?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

That's probably a joke, because I can't imagine that's true. It's not like Hamill and Ford have bad blood. Ford showed up to Hamill's Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony and gave a speech.

*Gif of the forehead kiss*

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's fundamentally wrongheaded to give harrison ford concessions beyond pay, he is a creature driven by checks. It's not as if he's going to turn down work as long as he gets more money to buy more airplanes to crash

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

frest posted:

Who is this "Rose" character you are talking about? Is she some sort of Palpatine?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

frest posted:

she went off to wherever the hell Jar Jar went to after the prequels

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

CharlestonJew posted:

she went off to wherever the hell Jar Jar went to after the prequels

You mean a highly respectable senator, friends with the new emperor and a war hero, cashing in on his connects?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

frest posted:

It would be incredibly funny if Rose died off screen and Finn swore revenge against the First Order, leading him to ever escalating acts of violence against them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guys I think we may be in for a Star Wars movie

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wild Horses posted:

You mean a highly respectable senator, friends with the new emperor and a war hero, cashing in on his connects?

Jar Jar probably just owns Naboo, now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Schwarzwald posted:

Jar Jar probably just owns Naboo, now.

Jar Jar might've gotten the whole Trade Federation after the Clone Wars ended, if he played his cards right.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

General Dog posted:

The general beats are pretty close to a less detailed synopsis that came out maybe a month before, but of course it's possible that this one is just building on that.

it's exactly that

:toxx:

any counter toxxers?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
I could 100% believe that "leaking a synopsis and using the replies on Reddit as a free focus group" is the sort of idea that sounds amazing to Disney executives.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Hodgepodge posted:

I could 100% believe that "leaking a synopsis and using the replies on Reddit as a free focus group" is the sort of idea that sounds amazing to Disney executives.

it's way too late to change things at this point. I think they're done with editing.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

euphronius posted:

Guys I think we may be in for a Star Wars movie

Aaah jesus this is the worst news I've heard yet,

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t think it’s likely that the synopsis is accurate, but I am curious what part of it you find to be implausibly stupid.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The only thing I want to know about this new Star war is if anyone finally gets naked in it. If not then I don't need to bother with seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Computer, generate nude maz