Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Gorson posted:

Nice work! Fitting different fairings to a bike, or fitting them to a bike that never had them is a giant pain in the rear end.

Do you still have the original plastics? My 97 is two-toned. I have a very nice right side upper and lower, but nothing for the left. I'd be interested in buying yours if you still have them in good condition.

One of the conditions that my italian motorcycle artist had is that he keeps everything that is left over. His shop had parts hanging from ceiling and all. Sorry my dude.

To the one asking about fairings, they were mostly 2006 CBR600RR fairings but there is plastic from a crashed GSXR and some frame parts from a Triumph Thruxton.

Total cost of this work settled right around 700 euro. He sought the parts. His final touch was to make a water tight document compartment under the seat, and he ebayed user manuals for the VFR and placed them there, too.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

39F mighta been a wee cold start to the day, but got some dirt roads and foliage views in before lunch so that's good.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

36 here. Warmed up by the afternoon but not much. Went out looking for a historical marker for the riding game. Turns it out was tiny and on a sidewalk so I couldn’t get a picture. Oh well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Last view of the Wee, with the new owner inside the registry getting it plated

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I finally got this thing on the road and took it for my usual new bike shakedown run:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Buddy sold his CB300F and picked up his new shiny today.

It looks goood.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is that something like elk hide for a seat cover? Looks warm as hell.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Deeters posted:

Is that something like elk hide for a seat cover? Looks warm as hell.

Reindeer/caribou, its warm and nice. They may shed a little but that depends on quality and if the fur is from a summer or winter coat animal. Winter coat furs are much warmer, has longer hairs but will shed more. Elk and moose fur is is traditionally not used because if your're in the area for elk, you most likely had access to sheepskin which is far better. Reindeer Vs sheepskin is a question of how wet it is. Sheep sucks in rain, reindeer is okay.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Carteret posted:

Buddy sold his CB300F and picked up his new shiny today.

It looks goood.

I loving love these things. Saw one in traffic the other day and :swoon:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On neo retros, I've started seeing more CB300Rs around, and I feel like they're... just okay. The front is nice but the tail is kind of weak. Think I'd prefer it if I could get that engine and all the mod cons in a package that just looks like an old 70s CB.

Or if they'd iterate some more and fix the rubbish back end to be more like the 'pilen.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
That reminds me I never did actually post mine in this thread:

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

CheddarGoblin posted:

How tall are you and how did you like the bike? I'm moving to the US and selling my BMW so I'm looking for a small cheap but stylish run around bike like the Svartpilen, but being 6'0 I feel this might be too small for me.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

mulligan posted:

How tall are you and how did you like the bike? I'm moving to the US and selling my BMW so I'm looking for a small cheap but stylish run around bike like the Svartpilen, but being 6'0 I feel this might be too small for me.

5'9 and I like it a lot. The seat is too tall for me at 33" so I have to get off to back it up. I feel like 6 feet would be a perfect height for this bike.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

CheddarGoblin posted:

5'9 and I like it a lot. The seat is too tall for me at 33" so I have to get off to back it up. I feel like 6 feet would be a perfect height for this bike.

Got it, if you ever have pictures of you riding post them here. I am a big babby afaraid of the "bear in a unicycle" look.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If it helps, my buddy who bought it is a slim 5'11 and it looks custom made for him.

Edit: what tail tidy did you get CheddarGoblin?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Carteret posted:

Edit: what tail tidy did you get CheddarGoblin?

MNNTHBX tail tidy (and the stupidly expensive Rizoma corsa signals)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

CheddarGoblin posted:

Love it. I am probably getting the Svartpilen in a month or two.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Love it. I am probably getting the Svartpilen in a month or two.

I really want one, but I'm 6-2" and those bikes are small. I already have a Grom to look goofy on.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just picked this up yesterday. I had to drive 7 hours to Orlando to get it but it's totally worth it.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Holy poo poo, those little 401s look fun.

Some fall colors from last week, up by Guanella Pass:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I love Guanella, especially now that it’s paved through. Hope the leaf peepers didn’t hold you up too much. Welcome to Colorado!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What highway is Guanella on again? I'm taking off work next Tuesday for a ride. I think I'll be too late for the high altitude foliage by then but could still be a nice ride.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

381 between Georgetown on 70 and Grant on 285.

Ulf posted:

I love Guanella, especially now that it’s paved through. Hope the leaf peepers didn’t hold you up too much. Welcome to Colorado!

Thanks! I was up there at like 7am on Friday so it was basically just me and a few people going hiking. 14ers, bro.

Interesting thing about that road, no white lines on the shoulders. Noticed it made it really hard for me to judge corners.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What highway is Guanella on again?

It’s the north/south road from Grant (285) <=> Georgetown (I-70). Not sure it has a highway number, until 2-3 years ago it was still gravel in parts.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just picked this up yesterday. I had to drive 7 hours to Orlando to get it but it's totally worth it.

Beautiful. Absolutely fantastic.

Did you consider the Zero SR/F at all?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

What's the motor whine like on these? The videos I've seen make it sound like a high-pitched REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, like you'd be riding around on a stage 5 autist

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Beautiful. Absolutely fantastic.

Did you consider the Zero SR/F at all?

Thanks! I did consider the Zero SR/F but it's a newer bike so I wouldn't be able to get the price of a premium model much below MSRP like I did with this Ego being a 2018 demo model.
The things I like having over the SR/F are DC fast charging, 150 mph top speed, and it being a proper racing motorcycle.

Jazzzzz posted:

What's the motor whine like on these? The videos I've seen make it sound like a high-pitched REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, like you'd be riding around on a stage 5 autist

It sounds exactly like it does in the videos, it's coming from the straight-cut gears in the transmission, not the motor itself. I notice the sound a lot in the 30-45 mph range during heavy acceleration and deceleration, and the road & tire noise drown it out at higher speeds. A couple nights ago, I was slowing down at a light, and I heard what I thought was an ambulance siren but nope it's just my bike. I like the sound, I think it sounds mean.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

last decent pic I took in the last decent part of the US (yellowstone) before I got to nashville. I rode 902 miles my second to last day due to how horribly boring the midwest was. got BBQ in kansas city at about 11:00pm though which ruled

final trip meter. about 100mi of it was offroad in idaho / wyoming:

gonna finally change my poor front tire this weekend. it has 14000mi+ on it :D

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think I would die if I attempted 900 miles in a day

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

That’s only ~7.5 hours on the 1290.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

builds character posted:

That's only ~7.5 hours on the 1290.

:hellyeah:

MomJeans420 posted:

I had originally stopped about halfway through nebraska to set up camp, but the site was so uninteresting compared to where I'd stayed in idaho and wyoming that I just decided to tough it out. late night BBQ was well worth it :D

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Real fall is here.

Leaving an exploding trail of dirt and dead leaves in my wake feels great.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

That really depends on the bike and whether or not you die of boredom while doing it. My goldwing rider friends did like 1100 miles in one day on their Alaska trip. Set cruise control to 95mph and bullshit via intercom for the next several hours.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Granted I don't have a touring bike, but even raising my clip-ons 1.5", I pretty much have to take a break at 100 miles. Around 300 miles per day is the max for what I'll do, and I'm pretty beat up after that. Although usually that 300 miles is LA to San Diego and back, so figure you're splitting lanes in horrible traffic for huge portions of that. Probably a lot easier on empty roads in the middle of nowhere.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It sounds exactly like it does in the videos, it's coming from the straight-cut gears in the transmission, not the motor itself. I notice the sound a lot in the 30-45 mph range during heavy acceleration and deceleration, and the road & tire noise drown it out at higher speeds. A couple nights ago, I was slowing down at a light, and I heard what I thought was an ambulance siren but nope it's just my bike. I like the sound, I think it sounds mean.

EV bikes should be Straight cut gears only. No noise insulation on the gearset.

Then they will all sound like racecars with dogboxes.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Between the iron butting that I do and now the Zero ownership (no gears, straight or otherwise) I suddenly feel very unwelcome in this thread
:yikes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's a show your biek thread, not a show your gears thread lol.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Ulf posted:

Between the iron butting that I do and now the Zero ownership (no gears, straight or otherwise) I suddenly feel very unwelcome in this thread
:yikes:

electric bikes rule. pretty sure See See is putting on an electric only flat track race for next year’s one moto show in portland. definitely flying back for it. then 10 year anniversary was nutty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I'm 200 miles into this bike and it's.. not quite what I expected.

Not in a bad way, and I realize 200 miles ain't poo poo - I'm taking it easy until my leg fully heals. I always heard that Road Glides were like driving a Lazy Boy sofa with zero wind resistance. Maybe I have too narrow a pool of experience because I've only ever driven cruisers. Granted, much smaller cruisers, but still cruisers. There's really not that much less wind than I got on my last bike, or at least it doesn't feel that way? I guess it's hard to notice the absence of something. I could definitely do hundreds of miles at a time on this once I change the orientation of the bars and replace the poo poo stock hand grips. Other than that I don't have any complaints, still a fun bike despite being a big ol' dad glide.