Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

A Story About Treating a Female Knight, Who Has Never Been Treated as a Woman, as a Woman

Speaking of bad titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Fooly's such an ab slut.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jagged Jim posted:

That looks like that would be a very impractical way to dress if you wanted to do... well, anything.
Also what is this?

Hello, and welcome to Literally Every Fantasy Series

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

that's just a kancolle abyssal

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

chumbler posted:

Speaking of bad titles.

That one's getting an official translation as How to Treat a Lady Knight Right, which is... an improvement, I guess.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Too bad its a pretty garbo manga

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Brainamp posted:

It skeeves me out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Valhalla got around to releasing another chapter of The Foolish Angel Dances with Demons and it's meh

Brainamp posted:

The sameface is pretty egregious and the newer characters are pretty bad as well. There's a decent chapter once every blue moon but nothing really special either.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the premise of the manga sounds real boring

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

That one's getting an official translation as How to Treat a Lady Knight Right, which is... an improvement, I guess.
tbh considering what that manga is about and how it seems to handle the idea of a female knight falling in love that title is worse, not better

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Finally finished the Bloom into You anime. There was a strange contrast between the painstakingly detailed, richly colored backgrounds and the simple, angular character art, but it didn't really hurt the show - it just kinda jumped out at me aesthetically. Yuu and Touko are nuanced characters portrayed with a lot of care - their flaws came across without the show ever feeling mocking or belittling of them. The ending did stop in the middle of things, but still sold the idea that, "yeah, in the end these two will turn out okay."

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
miwa: im baby

saeko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0seYxfaoG0

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I have no idea if anyone else reads 1-nen a gumi no monster, but power move by momo in the last chapter. :allears:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
New chapter for Love Me For What I Am and this seems like fun.

Also, it doesn't quite belong here, but Chotto Ippai! has been getting regular updates for a little while now for anybody that put it on the backburner. The most recent ark has been particularly fun.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Always love hearing at least two of those words and when non-fans hear them it's like "What does that mean?" :mmmhmm:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cuntellectual posted:

I have no idea if anyone else reads 1-nen a gumi no monster, but power move by momo in the last chapter. :allears:

Absolutely yes. I love a good trainwreck and that manga is awesome. :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Haven't seen it mentioned but are people reading Dosanko Gyaru is mega cute? Story is about a Tokyo kid moving up north to Hokkaido and meets the resident Gyaru. Who apparently has anti-freeze running through her veins most days, which is an impressive feat to achieve without Vodka.

It's got 5 chapters and is off to a good start just setting up these two being interested in each other and clearing the omnipresent Misunderstanding within the same chapter it's introduced so I consider that an additional plus. Humor is good too, MC's reactions are solid but appropriate.

If Silver Spoon taught me anything it's that Hokkaido is a pretty cool area, am interested to see where else these two explore.

Cuntellectual posted:

:crossarms: drat Momo, there's putting people on blast and then there is this.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Onean posted:

New chapter for Love Me For What I Am and this seems like fun.

This manga is literally the best hahahah

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Brought To You By posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned but are people reading Dosanko Gyaru is mega cute? Story is about a Tokyo kid moving up north to Hokkaido and meets the resident Gyaru. Who apparently has anti-freeze running through her veins most days, which is an impressive feat to achieve without Vodka.

It's got 5 chapters and is off to a good start just setting up these two being interested in each other and clearing the omnipresent Misunderstanding within the same chapter it's introduced so I consider that an additional plus. Humor is good too, MC's reactions are solid but appropriate.

If Silver Spoon taught me anything it's that Hokkaido is a pretty cool area, am interested to see where else these two explore.
Given that sukebans/delinquent girls aren't super popular lately, I'm sorta glad that I've come to like these mangas with rad gyarus. Thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wark Say posted:

Given that sukebans/delinquent girls aren't super popular lately, I'm sorta glad that I've come to like these mangas with rad gyarus. Thanks!

someone I think in this thread recommended I continue reading Rokudou's Bad Girls and a couple dozen chapters in, I have to say I wasn't expecting it to be so fun. It's not groundbreaking or anything so far, but all of the main characters are pretty great. The main girl is still a mystery but I'm sure it'll get into her backstory eventually. She's also just straight up dressed as a sukeban of the long-skirt-wooden-sword type, which basically everyone is like "are...are you retro cosplaying or something???" often shortly before she embeds their face into the floor

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my bad: I do follow Rokudo (that's a really dumb wordplay I didn't expect to make :mmmhmm:), it's just that, well, there's still not much sukeban happening outside of that unless I go for some classics and whatnot. :shobon:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not reading your spoiler but I just got to chapter 32 where the onashima alliance leaders are joining the school and I'm going to take a guess before I go any further and say the twins are actually both crossdressing, and rokudou is going to approach the "sister" thinking his power applies and get decked while the "brother" treats him super nicely for SOME reason. something about how it's explicitly focusing so hard on how the girl is so cutesy and girly and the boy is so manly and cool smacks of that cliche. I'm sure it'd be fun whether it goes that way or not since I wasn't sure how they'd handle Osanada when they introduced her, but she's turned out to be one of the best parts of the whole crew.

edit: lol yuuuuuup, a couple chapters later and blammo

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 7, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It's a neat era that's blossomed since around the time Galko-chan got popular.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Brought To You By posted:

And now I'm sad that Silver Spoon is still on hiatus.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Did somebody say Sukeban?

She talks about fixing up her Granny's old school uniform and she'd have roughly been in that era. It brings up an amusing thought of all the J.K.s of today who have no idea their sweet old grandmothers were Sukeban.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol everything about the yashiya fight in rokudou is magnificent

yashiya's version of the love spell making rokudou look like kenshiro despite still being a little weenie in reality is hilarious

This whole arc with the onashima has been fantastic. Glad I continued this series, it's great fun. The art seems to be improving too.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Captain Invictus posted:

lol everything about the yashiya fight in rokudou is magnificent

yashiya's version of the love spell making rokudou look like kenshiro despite still being a little weenie in reality is hilarious

This whole arc with the onashima has been fantastic. Glad I continued this series, it's great fun. The art seems to be improving too.

Tiny spoiler for you: Yashiya will eventually return and give us, in her delusions, the funniest image in the entire series.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Arisa is such an earnest idiot. :3:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The last couple chapters of Rokudou have been great too. Ranna has such a beautiful smile...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Genwaku no Kodou (title got re-translated at some point) got a new chapter finally so I'm reposting what I said about it like 3 years ago

quote:

Like to read long-running bromancey fantasy manga but getting tired of the boys never kissing? Yami no Koudou might be just what you need. Bamboo Feathers describe it as "Freaky dark supernatural psychological impending-doom mystery full of reincarnated bad-asses" :black101:
Nine years ago, Kouichi Amano was attacked at the park with his brother, Jun, who lost his memory of that event as well as the second sight he’d possessed. Now in high school, Kouichi is plagued by nightmares and bloody visions. Dark creatures stalk the streets as the appearance of the Harbinger heralds the coming of the Dark Millennium. The clans are spurred once more into action as Touya and Kamio are inexorably drawn toward the Amano brothers. How can the coming darkness be stopped, and what role will the Amano brothers, both ignorant of their fate, play in it…?

It's an ongoing series that's been running since 1997 and has some of the same feel, at least initially, as something like X/1999 with an impending apocalypse looming and a bunch of clans trying to hold it back while some upstart with mysterious powers shows up and starts loving up all their poo poo. The main thing that really got me hooked (blacking this out because it's a plot spoiler) is that all the apocalypse stuff ends up being the clans playing a game of telephone with extradimensional knowledge, and rather than bringing an apocalypse down on their heads the leads are dismantling a calcified and corrupt system built around empty reverence for a misunderstood (and tragic) figure.

The trigger warning on Bamboo Feathers' project page is no joke, there is a plot relevant rape scene and one additional moderately-graphic sex scene later on if that's a thing that bothers you, but for the most part most of the action is implied and never drawn in detail. The main relationship later on also features a lot of making out but other than their first big bedroom scene everything else they do is offscreen so for the most part it's pretty non-explicit. What you're more likely to see are blood and guts, there are a few scenes where people get gibbed so heads up on that front as well.

The art is very distinctive and stylized and at its best in the big spreads when the linework is very brushy and dynamic. It does some neat stuff with panel layout and use of patterns too, but the anatomy can be a little sketchy (I crack up a little when somebody's lumpy butt is shown and realize that was probably fanservice). The dialogue is occasionally hard to follow from panel to panel but for the most part it has good scanslation so it's not like Silver Diamond or The Ice-Cold Demon's Tale where you have to struggle through early scans to get to the more readable stuff.

The series is ongoing at 26 volumes but the scans are only up to 22 or so, but they come out on a regular schedule every 2 weeks so it's also not like you'll get caught up and have to wait years for another update (or never get one) so that's definitely a plus. Overall it took me a bit to get into it but once I got past the introductory stuff and learned who everyone was and what their relationships were it was easy to get hooked on the story. I like that most of the antagonists aren't straight-up evil and are mostly just flawed people who are following what they think is right.

quote:

I just caught back up on Yami no Kodou after not reading it since October and I'd forgotten what a trip this manga was. At this point in the story the lead guy is in a weird threesome with his boyfriend and an undead energy vampire and is also collecting a harem of inter-dimensional warriors who are all horny for his previous incarnation. The warriors and the human characters communicate on different wavelengths so the warriors voices sound like birds chirping and they have to communicate via psychic uplinks facilitated by holding hands. It had a very X/1999 feel at the beginning then it went waaay past that and just kept going and I love it.

ahhhh what a lie the update schedule turned out to be tho
Bamboo Feathers went defunct but the project was turned over to a new group but no idea what sort of release schedule if any they'll be maintaining.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Absolutely yes. I love a good trainwreck and that manga is awesome. :allears:

I love trainwrecks, especially hosed-up romance stories. I'm interested in where Musume no Tomodachi is going to go, since it's still early on enough it could be great or terrible depending on how it handles it's subject matters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mirage posted:

Tiny spoiler for you: Yashiya will eventually return and give us, in her delusions, the funniest image in the entire series.
Do you mean during the fight with her where Rokudou goes full blown hulk in her delusions after he saves her from falling out a window or is there an even further future encounter

because I am all for continuing the gimmick

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Invictus posted:

Do you mean during the fight with her where Rokudou goes full blown hulk in her delusions after he saves her from falling out a window or is there an even further future encounter

because I am all for continuing the gimmick

It gets so much dumber.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hell yeah

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Embrace the dumb. Always.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So Rokudou is actually good? The premise seemed kind of, uh, creepy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It works because Rokudou is 1) a very good boy who would never dream of taking advantage of anyone and 2) utterly terrified of delinquents.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rokudou is about teens growing up and helping each other deal with or get over their issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

A Sometimes Food posted:

So Rokudou is actually good? The premise seemed kind of, uh, creepy.

Yes, it's Actually Good IMO. I bounced off the first three chapters a couple years ago, assuming from them that it would just be more boring nerd wish fulfillment harem junk (albeit with a unique art style). I gave Rokudou a second shot more recently after seeing folks here talking positively about it.

Turns out it's hilarious and cute and Rokudou is a Very Good Boy that is the polar opposite of the type of MC that I hate; Rokudou is genuinely good-willed, just wants his friends to be safe and happy, he's not a creep, and he's courageous as hell (despite being scared shitless frequently).

Plus, sometimes the art is really :krad: