Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How quickly we forget, one of the greatest Texans ever, Darrell K Royal, was a Sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

N..no....

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
dallas is just southern oklahoma

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I dread this week every year

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1181254225407422466

Hahha just a little immigration joke folks, we wouldn't put Sooners in cages

My wife and I were plannings to go to the fair this coming Saturday until she noticed the drat game was happening.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1181353979055427585

What do I spy with my little eye

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

My wife and I were plannings to go to the fair this coming Saturday until she noticed the drat game was happening.

The secret is that it's actually a good weekend for the fair- nobody else wants to go at that time, it's quiet during the game, and if it's a 2:30 kick people will usually bail by the time it ends.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

I dunno what do you spy?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Kunabomber posted:

dallas is just southern oklahoma

gently caress that

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Arcella posted:

I dunno what do you spy?

A sea of boomers?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Marxalot posted:

A sea of boomers?

For sure.

Vulcan bought a huge chunk of land near me and people are losing their poo poo about it. Funny how they’re all pro property rights and pro small gov until things affect them. Now they want to tell someone what they can and can’t do on their property and want TCEQ and other gov entities to shut it down.

https://www.stop3009vulcanquarry.com

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arcella posted:

I dunno what do you spy?

Wendy Davis

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

I dread this week every year

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1181254225407422466

Hahha just a little immigration joke folks, we wouldn't put Sooners in cages

i went to UT-Austin for grad school and never went to OU, but as a native Oklahoman I still root for UT to lose this and only this weekend. If UT loses, Texans don't talk about it. If UT wins, I hear about it long after.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

but as a native Oklahoman

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My mom's from Norman. My blood has a taint. I'm cursed.

https://twitter.com/BignobadBob/status/1181313668170039299

In football, it is illegal to make fun of the proud mascot of Bevo

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Charlz Guybon posted:

How about we split the difference and get a fully automatic shotgun. :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_Precision_Industries_USAS-12

Nissan had a Firearms division!?

Edit. Whoops, that was Datsun.

Still looking it up I had no idea Daewoo did so much poo poo. They're like a Yamaha.

Alastor_the_Stylish fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 8, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

My mom's from Norman. My blood has a taint. I'm cursed.

https://twitter.com/BignobadBob/status/1181313668170039299

In football, it is illegal to make fun of the proud mascot of Bevo

As it should be :colbert:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chieves posted:

The secret is that it's actually a good weekend for the fair- nobody else wants to go at that time, it's quiet during the game, and if it's a 2:30 kick people will usually bail by the time it ends.

Can anyone else back this up? I would think the traffic alone would make it awful.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Shifty Pony posted:

Can anyone else back this up? I would think the traffic alone would make it awful.

The last time I went on gameday, Peter Gardere was in the game, but i do remember it being 3+ hours of blissffully short lines for the rides and stuff until the game was over.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
So what other thread regulars are hiding their carpet bagger status

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TropicalCoke posted:

So what other thread regulars are hiding their carpet bagger status

I've already admitted to being from South Louisiana but I've been in the state for almost 10 years now so I'm at least at the "suburban Texan" level.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I mean technically speaking I was born in Virginia

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I’ve never set foot in Texas outside DFW but I read the thread because Texas is important in national politics.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ogmius815 posted:

I’ve never set foot in Texas outside DFW but I read the thread because Texas is important in national politics.

visit San Antonio and Houston and you've covered pretty much anywhere worth visiting

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ogmius815 posted:

Same for me.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Proud Christian Mom posted:

visit San Antonio and Houston and you've covered pretty much anywhere worth visiting

Is Austin really considered that bad?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zil posted:

Only by idiots from garbage cities like San Antonio and Houston.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zil posted:

Austin's biggest issue is that a lot of the culture that made it "weird" has been pushed out by NIMBY yuppies. So you have a city increasingly populated by bland white people insisting that its so weird and wacky!

Its other biggest issues is that the rental prices are atrocious, it lacks a significant amount of basic poo poo that's standard in other big cities, and Satan is a consultant for TXDOT.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m a reverse carpetbagger

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
From Florida. Lived most everywhere east of the Mississippi.

It's mind-blowing that I can actually have a car-free commute in Dallas while people in 'progressive' Austin cannot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 22, 2024

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I find the worst and most dedicated of the Austin NIMBYs l start their rants with "I've lived in Austin for 30 years and...<gently caress you got mine>". They might be for keeping Austin "Weird" but they demand that weirdness be limited to what they considered acceptably weird back in the day.

The new arrivals are almost like the alamosexuals that got posted about. They moved here at least partially because it was quirky and weird and they try to turn it up to 11 in obnoxious ways.

I grew up in South Carolina and liked moving here 15 years ago so much that I did it again 10 years ago.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Kunabomber posted:

It's mind-blowing that I can actually have a car-free commute in Dallas while people in 'progressive' Austin cannot.

The inescapable truth is that Austin is the apotheosis of the white liberal bourgeoisie city. They'll agree with you 100% of the time on matters of race, but the moment you try to open a facility to assist the undeserved in their neighborhood, the mask falls. Try to increase density in a neighborhood, or build out public transit options, and they immediately yell from their expensive rooftops bemoaning the destruction of neighborhood character. One has but to count all the anti-codenext yardsigns. The progressiveism is just a veneer. If you ask them to make any perceived sacrifice, no matter how realistically small, they immediately defend their class interests to the detriment of all else. They are every bit the enemies of progress chuds are.

Source: Born here :toot:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Houston for 35 years, San Antonio for 4 (school) get on my level

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I lived in Wichita Falls for 15 years which should count at least double

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Houston for 35 years, San Antonio for 4 (school) get on my level

Sixth generation Texan. Fourth generation Houstonian. :clint::c00lbutt:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Sardonik posted:

The inescapable truth is that Austin is the apotheosis of the white liberal bourgeoisie city. They'll agree with you 100% of the time on matters of race, but the moment you try to open a facility to assist the undeserved in their neighborhood, the mask falls. Try to increase density in a neighborhood, or build out public transit options, and they immediately yell from their expensive rooftops bemoaning the destruction of neighborhood character. One has but to count all the anti-codenext yardsigns. The progressiveism is just a veneer. If you ask them to make any perceived sacrifice, no matter how realistically small, they immediately defend their class interests to the detriment of all else. They are every bit the enemies of progress chuds are.

Source: Born here :toot:

ah, so the lack of character is actually a boon for dallas in some respects

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'd you want to watch someone go to the right at the speed of light mention property taxes to an Austin liberal. It's a microcosm for what is happened to the Democratic Party nationally.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/lawcrimenews/status/1181635441927348224

"Drug deal gone wrong"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I have a theory that most of the stereotypical boisterous texan attitude is all an elaborate ruse to cover up the fact that Texas has been a major hub of immigration for the entirety of its existence. Underneath all the bluster it's all a lot softer, but so long as the threat of the mythical True Texans is maintained, people can randomly be ostracized as unwelcome outsiders.

But then my family came together from basically the four corners of the country, so I've always been suspicious of locality loyalty movements anyways. Historically, railing against carpetbaggers was a southern cover for fighting reconstruction and trying (eventually successfully) to rebuild the power structures that had been damaged during the civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/angelmeg/status/1181295752309547015