Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Lung shrooms are the reason it was bad. Taking away the win at the last second because Tokoyami didn't hit Mushroom girl hard enough was such a stupid reason. It would've been a fine comeback. But holding back just because it's training, after interning with the #2 Hero?? Tokoyami would loving never, that was BS thrown out because it had to come down to Deku's match.

There's also how choking a person with mushrooms is just asking for an accidental death. What if they choke to death before you could remove the mushrooms in their throats? What if the person has a mushroom allergy and has a severe reaction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My issue with that fight is that it showed Class B was willing to go so far in a fight that by every definition was a training exercise and I don't think were ever called out on it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
In fact not only was 1-B not called on it, 1-A was called out for not being more like them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So obviously Momo should have just made herself a flamethrower and burned hands girl alive.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lung shrooms were cool

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
still think it's weird y'all get hung up on the mushroom thing when the main three characters' powers are all inherently lethal

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Mushroom girl is cute and that inherently justifies anything she does.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

She had a hell of a turn around. She seemed super introverted and hesitant during her brief appearance at the sports festival. Having her burst out and do so much work with her quirk at the joint battle was awesome.

It's nice to see growth in 1-B characters even if they get hardly any screen time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

still think it's weird y'all get hung up on the mushroom thing when the main three characters' powers are all inherently lethal

It's how invasive a power like that is.

Yes Bakugo's power should be killing people (not to mention himself) purely with shockwaves alone but he's not growing mushrooms on the inside of people's fuckin throat

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mushroom girl is cool and did a smart victory that she clearly practiced at, she also can you know, reverse mushroom growth I'm pretty sure.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Izuku should've punched Monoma's head off.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They do a time skip and everyone looks the same except for Mineta who is now tall and handsome.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Speaking of 1-B people who are cool, I liked Jurota, he was cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Because she makes, WHILE TRYING TO FIGHT OFF KENDO, and all in one shot, a full size ready to fire mobile cannon already loaded with a name branded bag filled with (battery powered?) thermal goggles and antifungal aerosol spray inside. Matroyshka dolls loaded with flash grenades are one thing, but this is just plain stupid. And how fast does it come out that martial artist Kendo can't just, I dunno, move to the side?

Yeah, that scene was dumb because it also basically seemed to negate what Momo's limitations are supposed to be (that she actually needs to eat a bunch to produce the matter for the things she makes, and she's practically limited by complexity). If she can do the stuff in that scene, she should be able to do almost anything.

It's kinda unfortunate that Horikoshi isn't very good at writing create/interesting fights. He's good at the sorta drama/emotional angle, but not at the details. Ideally, a fighting manga like this should be similar to HxH, where people have abilities defined clearly enough that you can accurately hypothesize about what would happen if the characters fought each other and the results of fights feel like they "make sense."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I can't wait for Shoto to read that Destro biography Hawks gave him and go "hmm, you know what, this guy had some interesting ideas."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I disliked mushroom girl's win because it just came out on nowhere and made it clear that her winning was just a matter of her deciding when she wanted to win. Her power made no sense and was absurdly strong.

Also yeah, both that fight and the one after it had the issue of the kids being expected and outright told they needed to go as hard as they possibly could if they wanted to win. Like, Tokoyami in particular got lectured for it after he got beaten by mushroom girl, but given that she just needed to will those mushrooms into existence, the only way he could have stopped her would have been something like beating her unconscious immediately. Then in the next fight mud boy dropped a building on 1-A, not even to win but just because gently caress those guys they don't get to win either, and that was apparently good.

It's ludicrous. It really highlights one of the areas I think the comic is weak, how it tries to have it both ways with whether fights and power usage has real consequences or not. Sometimes you have stuff like Deku's powers wrecking his own limbs, or Gentle's backstory where he seriously injured someone by bouncing them wrong while trying to catch them, and other times you have things like those fights, or Deku and Gentle fighting and the former rocketing the latter into a building only for both to be okay next chapter.

It doesn't ruin the comic or anything, but it gets pretty egregious sometimes. Especially with the teachers, since when they're dealing with Deku there's all this talk about how he needs to control his powers better or he'll hurt himself and/or other people, yet when talking to any other student it's always

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 10, 2019

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Speaking of which, Kill Six Billion Demons is great and everyone should read it.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 10, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Speaking of which, Kill Six Billion Demons is great and everyone should read it.

It absolutely is and I would like to back this up with the greatest single-page introduction of a character in comics history

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I knew who it'd be before clicking that link, and yes, they're pretty great.

(Also, phone really hosed up the image I posted earlier and made it massive for some reason, so I uploaded a normal-sized version now that I have my computer again. Sorry about that.)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New PV for the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SZLClwRBJU

Lots of stuff the anime-only people won't know about.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Weird to make a movie using manga content that won't appear in the anime for at least two years.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 11, 2019

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't remember the exact release dates, but didn't the Two Heroes movie introduce the character and design of All For One a bit before he premiered in the Anime?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
what the gently caress is that

edit: i was hoping for a little stain peek but i guess not, is this arc already over?

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 11, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

what the gently caress is that

A death flag, I suspect.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

So...Day of Reckoning, huh? Saying that right after showing us a sizeable majority of the characters on the heroes' side, along with...is that AfO? :stare:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

symbolic posted:

So...Day of Reckoning, huh? Saying that right after showing us a sizeable majority of the characters on the heroes' side, along with...is that AfO? :stare:

It’s Kurogiri

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s Kurogiri

I had a feeling, but I wasn't sure. Although now it makes the future even more interesting that Hori showed him instead of AfO.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
He's been MiA for a while, so seeing him was actually quite a surprise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can't believe Horikoshi would disrespect my boy Shouji like this. If Ojiro can show up in the montage surely everyone can!!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Re-Destro already ditched his big goofy wheelchair. That thing looked fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We knew that Kurogiri got captured. (Cause he was too overpowered and convenient for the League to have.)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Libra posted:

Re-Destro already ditched his big goofy wheelchair. That thing looked fun.

We already had Ectoplasm with his prosthetic legs, so it was just a matter of time, really. I'd imagine Re-Destro got the newest model, with expanding capabilities to fit his quirk activation, too, though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't believe Horikoshi would disrespect my boy Shouji like this. If Ojiro can show up in the montage surely everyone can!!

Shouji is there with Jirou and Gang Orca, which is a pretty sweet team.

Hey, is Edgeshot holding one of those Destro books in that big page of heroes?

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 11, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are we getting a time skip?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, it looks like a time skip is coming.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 11, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm guessing the movie happens during this time period.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the lads

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fabricated posted:

I'm guessing the movie happens during this time period.

Yeah most definitely. There's no other reasoning for having current manga stuff in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So I guess this chapter confirmed that All For One never told Shigaraki about One For All, and by extension, about how Deku holds it. I wonder if the Doctor knows about Deku or if it was something AfO figured out during his final fight with All Might?