Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

I feel like “washed” doesn’t really describe a guy who is fighting competitive matches and winning many of them against top competition. Past his prime sure, but washed up is absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

DeimosRising posted:

I feel like “washed” doesn’t really describe a guy who is fighting competitive matches and winning many of them against top competition. Past his prime sure, but washed up is absurd

This is the correct take y'all

https://twitter.com/Iamboxing/status/1180702479127846917?s=19

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/1182259200321359872?s=19

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

quote:

According to police, the vehicle was going at a high rate of speed in the northbound lanes in the 500 block of S. Riverfront Boulevard. The vehicle went over the center median and flipped multiple times, ejecting the driver. Police say he was not wearing a seatbelt.

gently caress. incredible the lengths people will go to to avoid rematching kell brook

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 10, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sounds like he is expected to survive at least, but drat.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There's a video from a nearby security camera floating around on twitter and based on the rate at which the car is rolling he had to be going EXTREMELY fast. It looks like a NASCAR crash.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
How the gently caress did he survive

There's no way he comes out in fighting shape, right

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's a video from a nearby security camera floating around on twitter and based on the rate at which the car is rolling he had to be going EXTREMELY fast. It looks like a NASCAR crash.

Incredible.

https://twitter.com/jdmiles11/status/1182348632210771968?s=19

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Gonna go ahead and say good job Ferrari on this one

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1182436682378989568?s=19

Spence has supposedly avoided serious injury which is amazing considering the accident.

It's kind of an open secret-between him visibly intoxicated at the Porter-Garcia fight and a now deleted Instagram story showing him at a club a few hours before the accident-that he has been enjoying the trappings of success and fame. Obviously he doesn't need to live a monastic life but hopefully this can serve as a wake up call.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

holy poo poo if he's really actually ok aside from the some cut teeth then i don't see how you come out of that without believing that god literally came down and saved your life. he is one lucky dude if he really is ok and is able to box again some day (even if he can't)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
didn't a boxer only just narrowly escape a horrible accident? was that boxer also errol spence? somebody get this guy a handler.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This certainly seems like a stupid games/stupid prizes situation. What a dummy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

This certainly seems like a stupid games/stupid prizes situation. What a dummy.

he played the stupid game of driving erratically in a high speed death machine and and won the stupid prize of walking away more or less completely unscathed with insurance taking the hit?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

didn't a boxer only just narrowly escape a horrible accident? was that boxer also errol spence? somebody get this guy a handler.

A few years back Keith Thurman was in a much less severe car accident, and once again Spence is trying to one up Thurman.

I remember reading that Kell Brook's injuries after the Spence fight were like the type you'd see in a car crash, so not only can Spence survive a car crash he can dish them out too.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
They're doing it

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1182736460459532290?s=19

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
They are and here is Fury making boxing nosies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X46muemkVPo&t=1035s

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Conlan-Nikitin rematch is back on, on the Crawford undercard.

https://twitter.com/mickconlan11/status/1183879552050847745?s=21

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The real fight there is Commey vs Lopez

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

he played the stupid game of driving erratically in a high speed death machine and and won the stupid prize of walking away more or less completely unscathed with insurance taking the hit?

Well the stupid prize of getting in an accident which by all rights should have killed him. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The real fight there is Commey vs Lopez

I'm also tipping Conlan to lose to Nikitin for no real reason other than I have never liked him as an amateur or as a pro.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

I'm also tipping Conlan to lose to Nikitin for no real reason other than I have never liked him as an amateur or as a pro.

I think that would be quite funny and good but Conlan's got some dark money backing him in NY so Nikitin would have to KO him I think

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Errol Spence is Bruce Willis from the Unbreakable/Split universe confirmed. Except a bit of a jerk

https://twitter.com/Tom_Cody_SP/status/1184557719086338048?s=19

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Patrick Day has died.

Rest in peace.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/Rafeboogs/status/1184589821219688450

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

Patrick Day has died.

Rest in peace.

That’s like the third boxer in a couple months I watched fight their last fight, never to be seen again. I think I need break from the exploitation that is boxing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

'Awkward tone shift but there's a great card on tonight. Gvozdyk-Beterbiev fight for a top ranking in light heavyweight in a fight the oddsmakers say is dead even while in the cofeature Kudratillo Abdukakhorov fights Luis Collazo, with the winner being the IBF mandatory (Errol Spence) but more likely challenging Top Rank's own Terence Crawford.

ESPN+ has the prelims at 6:30 ET, ESPN has the main card at 10 ET

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 18, 2019

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Beterbiev choosing "Stranglehold" as his ring-walk music is a power move

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

Beterbiev choosing "Stranglehold" as his ring-walk music is a power move

evidently his fight strategy too

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I didn't stick around for the postfight but apparently Kellerman was claiming that Gvodyzk "quit" and I heard today Randy Gordon on the Sirius XM boxing show parroting the same before I basically rage shut of the radio driving home today. What a load of poo poo not even a week after a fighter died from injuries in the ring.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/10/21/20925103/no-oleksandr-gvozdyk-didnt-quit-in-any-way-shape-form-boxing-news-max-kellerman

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

that's stupid article. it's ok to say a guy quit. its ok for a guy to quit too. it's not somehow insulting to a fighter who died in the ring to say another guy quit

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I guess that's fair but I think it speaks more to how Kellerman has been has pretty obviously deteriorated as a commentator since he got sucked into all the Stephen A Smith #hottake debate show bullshit.

Speaking of people whose skills have greatly eroded but are not above phoning it in for a Payday.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1186768311784300544?s=19

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And Benard says they can go to China or Europe because USA athletic commissions won't let a man in his fifties who now has a glass jaw and got punched out of the ring and onto his head fight?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly fantastic boxing card starting in a few hours.

Regis Prograis vs Josh Taylor for the WBSS finale, which is a dead even fight between the best in the division, backed with three other meaningful and theoretically competitive matches in Chisora-Price, Burns-Selby and Ngabu-Okolie

I'm normally not a fan of british cards but this one looks pretty decent

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Great fight with Taylor the deserved winner, Prograis stared sharp but got ground down by Taylor's physicality and infighting, I had it 115-113 with Prograis rallying in the last two rounds to make it closer.

Both are talking about moving up to welter but neither are really suited to it IMO, Prograis is too small and Taylor looks a little fragile in exchanges. Hope one of them takes the other belts off Ramirez first.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Shakur Stevenson seems like a swell dude.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah everything I’ve seen from him has made him look very decent except for that one video of him and his friends fighting some random people in a gas station parking lot. I realize this sounds like I’m just trying to trash him but literally he seems cool, which just makes me wonder what the gently caress that was about.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Norton the First posted:

Shakur Stevenson seems like a swell dude.

Joet Gonzalez, on the other hand, seems like a complete douche. Glad he got embarrassed by Shakur.

Really the whole family seems hosed up and his sister did good by Getting Out.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Monday Bandele posted:

Great fight with Taylor the deserved winner, Prograis stared sharp but got ground down by Taylor's physicality and infighting, I had it 115-113 with Prograis rallying in the last two rounds to make it closer.

Both are talking about moving up to welter but neither are really suited to it IMO, Prograis is too small and Taylor looks a little fragile in exchanges. Hope one of them takes the other belts off Ramirez first.

It really did live up to expectation and even though I was going hard for Rougarou I couldn't give him any more than 5 rounds in good faith

I'd look for Taylor to take a homecoming fight in Glasgow then make his US debut with an eye towards the Ramirez fight around this time next year with the winner fighting Crawford in early 2021.

Also just a reminder since it feels like it came out of nowhere, reminder to you all that Canelo-Kovalev is this Saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I thought the fight was anywhere from a draw to a Taylor win by a couple of points. I scored it 115-113 for Taylor; he was the bigger man and mostly dictated the fight. He also won all the mid rounds when he decided to get on his toes and actually box, so I'm not sure why he didn't do that more often. He did Prograis a favour by standing and trading for a lot of the fight, and he held his own there because he's a gigantic junior welterweight. He looked more than 2" taller than Prograis, and he had a 3" reach advantage as well. I would be interested to hear what the same day unofficial weigh in results were.

Not sure how tough it is for Prograis to make 140, but he should stay there if he can. He's not very big, and while he has good power, it's clearly not earth shattering and would lose quite a bit moving up to 147. Taylor could move up to 147, but hopefully not until after he fully unifies with Ramirez (assuming that is a fight that can be made). Hopefully that fights happens in 2020. Would be quite something to see the 140 pound division fully unified twice in 4~ years.

There's been a quite a lot of sneaky-big fights that have happened over the last couple months. I think the pound for pound situation should probably look something like this now:

1. Vasyl Lomachenko
2. Terence Crawford
3. Oleksandr Usyk
4. Naoya Inoue
5. Canelo Alvarez
6. Errol Spence
7. Gennady Golovkin
8. Mikey Garcia
9. Artur Beterbiev
10. Josh Taylor