Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

yeah the guy in the video upthread points out that it's not even useful production logging data -- it's all dumb poo poo from the linux subsystem that would only be useful for software development. he figures it was just Software Guys who didn't understand that flash has a finite life so they treated it like a hard disk.

here's an older version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoSAprKVoQg

currently making a new one; the OLED looks incredible at night but it's not really readable in the day so i'm going with an inverted transflective lcd with rgb backlighting. the screen will also be twice as big and it will have gps and an imu. still monochrome and still intended to look like an f-18 MFD had a baby with the sentry gun monitors from Aliens.

goddamn, that's good. i've been wanting to make my own for a while. the closest i've gotten has just been using torque on my phone for a lovely, slow updating dashboard

honestly the hardest part about this would be getting the data off the obd2 adapter via bluetooth, or out of torque. i've thought about making a very basic webserver that just eats the data torque can send over web but that'd give a readout at best once a second and also subject to android's background processing restrictions, if torque even runs in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zamujasa posted:

goddamn, that's good. i've been wanting to make my own for a while. the closest i've gotten has just been using torque on my phone for a lovely, slow updating dashboard

honestly the hardest part about this would be getting the data off the obd2 adapter via bluetooth, or out of torque. i've thought about making a very basic webserver that just eats the data torque can send over web but that'd give a readout at best once a second and also subject to android's background processing restrictions, if torque even runs in the background

sick sonique skin

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zamujasa posted:

lmao, this is right up there with ham radio software in terms of design

mystes
May 31, 2006

Torque's UI is the worst thing ever but I forgive it because it was really useful when I needed to get my car inspected after the battery died and I was trying to make sure all the emissions tests were ready.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

indigi posted:

space trash could help mitigate global warming if there's enough of it so I approve this plan

sounds like elon's gonna throw some epic shade

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

imagine trying to extract information from this display while operating a motor vehicle.

picture it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
fwiw torque's display layout is fully user-defined, so that is a panel that zamujasa put together. you can make much nicer-looking ones with better data density if you choose.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what is left unspoken: you can also make it much, much worse

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

indigi posted:

space trash could help mitigate global warming if there's enough of it so I approve this plan

i realized the other day that when we drill for oil, turn the oil into plastic, then throw the plastic away in a landfill to sit for ten thousand years, it's actually a carbon-neutral process (manufacturing and transport excluded)

save the earth! throw away more plastic trash!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
breaking: harley davidson hired tesla dudes

https://advrider.com/breaking-harley-halts-production-of-the-livewire/

quote:

“We recently discovered a non-standard condition during a final quality check

quote:

According to the Wall Street Journal, the problem is related to the electric motorcycle’s charging equipment. Harley said that testing is progressing “well”.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
a few decades of plastic waste will not replace the tens of millions of years of globe-spanning cellulose and lignin production that laid down current coal stores.

the fossil fuel bounty that we're consuming now will never be meaningfully replaced.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jabor posted:

a few decades of plastic waste will not replace the tens of millions of years of globe-spanning cellulose and lignin production that laid down current coal stores.

the fossil fuel bounty that we're consuming now will never be meaningfully replaced.

we should have been on whatever was supposed to be after oil a few decades ago. we got off track somewhere.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

no, but turning the oil into plastic and putting it right back in the ground a week after you throw it away is still a type of carbon capture :pseudo:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jabor posted:

Yes, the problem is definitely that we don't have enough fossil fuels to burn.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

fwiw torque's display layout is fully user-defined, so that is a panel that zamujasa put together. you can make much nicer-looking ones with better data density if you choose.

i'm experimenting with some poo poo to see if i can use torque just for the obd communication instead of the dashboard because torque's interface is garbage. my ideal design would just have the current speed in giant digits, a bar for rpm, and maybe a few much smaller numbers in a corner for the other info. could also use a different color for the speed to indicate the approx range for better peripheral vision usage.

Midjack posted:

imagine trying to extract information from this display while operating a motor vehicle.

picture it.

surprisingly easy when you only look at it when you're stuck at a red light, or to check the speedometer.

trying to read anything else while in motion would be tesla-driver level stupidity, and i'm not quite that stupid

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i wonder if it was the early smart tesla dudes or some later bazinga tesla dudes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sagebrush posted:

fwiw android's home screen layout is fully user-defined, so that is a panel that zamujasa put together. you can make much nicer-looking ones with better data density if you choose.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

has anything else come out from that taycan spat or did elon drop it after claiming victory

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PIZZA.BAT posted:

has anything else come out from that taycan spat or did elon drop it after claiming victory

taycan repeatedly crushed poo poo and porsche posted a sick picture of its assembly line, notably not in a tent, and elon immediately shifted to talking about cuphead on the tesla console

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

he claimed victory after the prototype model s failed partially into its first lap, and projected a lap time from the tiny bit before it failed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

infernal machines posted:

he claimed victory after the prototype model s failed partially into its first lap, and projected a lap time from the tiny bit before it failed

right i was wondering if there was any follow up after this or if it went the same way as him claiming he'd demonstrate his cave coffin

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, he didn't try to put any professional divers in danger of drowning to massage his ego, or get rebuffed by the Thai government, so not exactly the same

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
im the 1354 minute trip

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

im the 1354 minute trip

im the dial that cant decide if its mph or km/h

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

i realized the other day that when we drill for oil, turn the oil into plastic, then throw the plastic away in a landfill to sit for ten thousand years, it's actually a carbon-neutral process (manufacturing and transport excluded)

save the earth! throw away more plastic trash!

This is the reason that trendy biodegradable plastics are supremely overrated.

I don’t what it to biodegrade and release carbon dioxide. I want those polymers to hang around in landfills as long as possible.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

These satellites spell out 'pedo guy'

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

there’s a tesla in office car park now. i walk close enough to trigger the thing every time

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tags: Baby Boomers, Breaking, Electric, Electric Motorcycle

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

jesus WEP posted:

there’s a tesla in office car park now. i walk close enough to trigger the thing every time

do not taunt happy fun car :teslaget:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what even is happening with it, it just kinda flashes it’s lights at me. does it start videoing me? or take a picture? idk

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

jesus WEP posted:

what even is happening with it, it just kinda flashes it’s lights at me. does it start videoing me? or take a picture? idk

probably videos you in case you do a vandalism. just be happy in the knowledge that every time you walk by you accelerate the car bricking itself

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

it’s saving a 15 minute video from 4 cameras every time, so they’ll have to go through the painstaking effort of deleting vids of you walking by it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
brick your car by parking next to some foliage on a day that has any sort of air movement at all. record hours and hours of a gentle breeze swaying some leaves

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
my tesla bricks itself watching the trees sway [asmr]

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCFaking/status/1106326307493867521?s=20

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

it’s saving a 15 minute video from 4 cameras every time, so they’ll have to go through the painstaking effort of deleting vids of you walking by it
lmao that owns

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Isn't that just a Pontiac Aztek?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Isn't that just a Pontiac Aztek?

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU