Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Travic posted:

Excellent. Betrayer, The First Heretic, and The Master of Mankind added to my list.

Have you already got Know No Fear?

Because First Heretic, Know No Fear and Betrayer form a sweet little trilogy (I think in that order)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The Argel Tal trilogy

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dog_Meat posted:

Have you already got Know No Fear?

Because First Heretic, Know No Fear and Betrayer form a sweet little trilogy (I think in that order)

I do not. Looked it up and saw the cover. Is...is that Guilliman fighting Chaos Marines on the outside of a battle barge. With no helmet?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Travic posted:

I do not. Looked it up and saw the cover. Is...is that Guilliman fighting Chaos Marines on the outside of a battle barge. With no helmet?

Yes :black101:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Between Abnett and Haley they have made Guilliman the angriest primarch and it's great. For someone who is supposed to be level headed planner guy he is constantly losing his poo poo.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Travic posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

You're welcome.

Guyver posted:

Between Abnett and Haley they have made Guilliman the angriest primarch and it's great. For someone who is supposed to be level headed planner guy he is constantly losing his poo poo.

He may lose his poo poo, but he loses it in a precise, methodical way and will dilligently document all aspects of the inevitable demigod level rear end kicking for future generations to research the exact efficiency of pulling your skull out through your rear end in a top hat

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 16, 2019

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So i got siege of terra delivered and im real excited

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The extended sequence where the betrayal at calth actually happens is one of the most insane scenes i've ever read in a book. I think I literally said "holy poo poo" out loud a few times while I was reading it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

hopterque posted:

The extended sequence where the betrayal at calth actually happens is one of the most insane scenes i've ever read in a book. I think I literally said "holy poo poo" out loud a few times while I was reading it.

The ship falling from orbit was visceral.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Travic posted:

We float for Macragge!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Rowboat Guilliman can hold his breath for a long time, just like Guybrush Threepwood.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Angry Lobster posted:

Rowboat Guilliman can hold his breath for a long time, just like Guybrush Threepwood.

No no no. He was so angry he forgot to breathe.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Guilliman

:getin:

Demiurge4 posted:

The ship falling from orbit was visceral.

That reminds me. When I was reading Salamanders their ship gets hit by a "solar storm" while in orbit of a planet. The ship is crippled and dead and crash lands on a planet. Then they repair a thruster and...take off again? What?

They said their main engines were working, but the ship was pointed down. So I was hoping that when the planet finally cracked in half they'd fly through it a la Lost In Space. Still stupid, but fun.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 16, 2019

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

hopterque posted:

Which one was that? Know no Fear? I need to go back and reread some of the better books, it’s been years and dozens of books.

Travic posted:

Guilliman

:getin:

That reminds me. When I was reading Salamanders their ship gets hit by a "solar storm" while in orbit of a planet. The ship is crippled and dead and crash lands on a planet. Then they repair a thruster and...take off again? What?

They said their main engines were working, but the ship was pointed down. So I was hoping that when the planet finally cracked in half they'd fly through it a la Lost In Space. Still stupid, but fun.

Idunno a lot of older ships seem to have antigravity and stuff, so there’s a difference between an engineless crash landing and full on arrowing into a planet.

I ain’t never read those books though.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 16, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Moose-Alini posted:

Which one was that? Know no Fear? I need to go back and reread some of the better books, it’s been years and dozens of books.

Yup.

The entire style of Know No Fear is fantastic, and it definitely made me think better of the Ultramarines as a chapter.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a list of the better HH books somewhere?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

hopterque posted:

Yeah, the sheer scale of the devestation as it just kept escalating was insane and really painted a picture of how bug-gently caress nuts the 30k numbers were. I think the only other book that made me feel the sheer size of the setting was The Solar War when Horus' forces start translating into the system. Really got a sense of "that's a lot of ships... ok, that's a LOT of ships... that's a FUCKTONNE of ships... Jesus Christ... that is a loving. Lot. Of. Ships"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Technowolf posted:

The OP has one but it's pretty old. Sounds like the first two books of The Siege Of Terra section of the HH are worth reading, though.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dog_Meat posted:

Yeah, the sheer scale of the devestation as it just kept escalating was insane and really painted a picture of how bug-gently caress nuts the 30k numbers were. I think the only other book that made me feel the sheer size of the setting was The Solar War when Horus' forces start translating into the system. Really got a sense of "that's a lot of ships... ok, that's a LOT of ships... that's a FUCKTONNE of ships... Jesus Christ... that is a loving. Lot. Of. Ships"

yeah that scene where the scale and scope of the numbers and combat and devastation keeps expanding and expanding to this point where its basically completely overwhelming definitely has the same type of feel as the calth attack

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
When the constant escalation of scale culminates in the dark Mechanicum taking control of the orbital plate gun platforms, I figured "oh poo poo, here goes the next step up in Devastation", thinking I'm prepared for what comes next, i.e. orbital bombardment...

..."and then they turned and started killing the sun."

:stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Something just occurred to me...more loyalists died at Calth than at Isstvan V, and it was all Ultramarines.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
There are as many Ultramarines as the plot demands.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Something just occurred to me...more loyalists died at Calth than at Isstvan V, and it was all Ultramarines.

Did Gulliman cap chapters at 1000 because the Ultramarines were disproportionately weakened?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Technowolf posted:

The good ones are A Thousand Sons by Graham McNeill along with all of the ones written by Dan Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I've never read the ones Christ Wraight wrote about the White Scars, but his other 40k books are great so those are probably good, too.

The others are mediocre to bad, IMO. Personally, I'd rather just read the Lexicanum summaries for those books and save my time, money, and attention.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't think thats true, i think ultramarines casualties were ~150k (which is insane), but 3 loyalist legions got almost completely culled at Isstvan. For instance, 80000 raven guard were deployed and there were 3000 survivors, and they were the smallest loyal legion there.

quote:

The main sources for the Drop Site Massacre contradict the numbers of Astartes present at the battle. Fulgrim by Graham McNeill gives 30,000 marines for the traitor legions total and 40,000 marines for the first wave loyalist total, resulting in total involvement of 70,000 Astartes from 7 legions before the second wave drops.

On the other hand, Raven's Flight by Gav Thorpe states that the number of Raven Guard present was 80,000, meaning that in one source the number of marines in one legion alone is more than the total initial number of combatants in the other. In Deliverance Lost by Gav Thorpe, Corax states that he left Istvaan with 5,000 warriors and confirms that at least 75,00 Raven Guard died on Istvaan which proves Corax started with at least 80,000 warriors. This figure was indicative of Black Library's decision to retroactively (and drastically) increase the size of the Space Marine legions.

Given that both later books in the series and the new Forge World Horus Heresy rulebooks give larger legion numbers, the numbers presented in the earlier novel Fulgrim should no longer be considered canon.

Obviously Know No Fear is after they scaled up the sizes of the legions in canon.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 16, 2019

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Khizan posted:

The good ones are A Thousand Sons by Graham McNeill along with all of the ones written by Dan Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I've never read the ones Christ Wraight wrote about the White Scars, but his other 40k books are great so those are probably good, too.

The others are mediocre to bad, IMO. Personally, I'd rather just read the Lexicanum summaries for those books and save my time, money, and attention.

I agree with the above, but lately I've been pretty impressed with John French too. I don't think he's on the Abnett/ADB tier yet, but I've definitely enjoyed his last 3-4 Heresy books.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Paddyo posted:

I agree with the above, but lately I've been pretty impressed with John French too. I don't think he's on the Abnett/ADB tier yet, but I've definitely enjoyed his last 3-4 Heresy books.

His Horusian War series is really good as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://regimental-standard.com/2019/10/16/befriend-a-space-marine/amp/

Befriend your space marines, Guardsman, lest you be nerve stapled.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Did Gulliman cap chapters at 1000 because the Ultramarines were disproportionately weakened?

He did it after the heresy so no single commander would ever have the power of an entire legion again.

Which is kinda horseshit really, because if Guilliman says "to me, my Ultramarines!" do you really think some off-shoot chapter run by Chapter Master Genericus is going to say no?

I like how the HH shows what a devestating, galactic scale weapon the legions were. Only Guilliman looked beyond the crusade to what else they could do for the Imperium. His vision was that planets would eventually have superhuman, borderline immortal warrior statesman to steer them. Probably the only time a book has acknowledged that the marines have gene enhanced brains that can be used for more than aiming really big guns.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
He’s apparently a voracious reader, so you’d think he could have got as far as page one and “in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war”

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dog_Meat posted:

Which is kinda horseshit really, because if Guilliman says "to me, my Ultramarines!" do you really think some off-shoot chapter run by Chapter Master Genericus is going to say no?
Just ask the Night Lords.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Guyver posted:

Just ask the Night Lords.

Been a while since I read it, but I love how one of the Night Lords is almost laughing at the absurdity of the situation as more and more upstart thinblood chapters keep dropping in, but they may as well be fighting a legion

I really should re-read that book, actually

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dog_Meat posted:

Only Guilliman looked beyond the crusade to what else they could do for the Imperium. His vision was that planets would eventually have superhuman, borderline immortal warrior statesman to steer them. Probably the only time a book has acknowledged that the marines have gene enhanced brains that can be used for more than aiming really big guns.

Magnus did too, not necessarily to such a Utopian ideal as Guilliman, who seemed to envision true and lasting peace at some point.

I mean, Lorgar would probably tell you he also knew Astartes could be more than trigger pullers but well...

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

A lot of the legions dabbled in stuff outside of warfare. Dorn's like the only one who focused exclusively on being a military force.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SardonicTyrant posted:

A lot of the legions dabbled in stuff outside of warfare. Dorn's like the only one who focused exclusively on being a military force.

Angron and Russ didn't seem to have many interests outside that sphere either.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Inspector_666 posted:

Death match arenas Versus sitting around getting drunk and telling stories tho.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Wouldn't Russ's focus just be on making the best beer in the universe? And then maybe moving on to making the best mead?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The very worst thing you can do in 40k is tell a Night Lord to get a hobby.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

Wouldn't Russ's focus just be on making the best beer in the universe? And then maybe moving on to making the best mead?

Got the hipster beard already, and a penchant for DIY modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Randalor posted:

He grew succulents actually