Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Roosevelt posted:

_____________/You won’t care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Platystemon posted:

That’s the super obvious one.

Cold‐blooded animals would be hosed. The air around them might be the same temperature it was in pre‐industrial times, but sunning themselves will no longer be as effective.

Birds aren’t going to like what it does to thermals.

Speaking of air currents, they would shift on continental scales. Blocking sunlight would lead to its own version of climate change.

Nightime temperatures would continue to be elevated by the extra‐thick blanket of greenhouse gases; blocking sunlight would do nothing to stop that. Ocean acidification will happen either way.

Then there are the photochemical effects, other than on photosynthesis. The rate of breakdown for organic molecules will drop, within the atmosphere, on exposed surfaces, and in the ocean.

They say “sunlight makes the best disinfectant”. So much for that.

If we had to install an L1 sunshade, it might be preferable to preferentially block long wavelengths to lessen the photochemical effects.

How does it feel to bave put more thought into all of these things than Elon or any of his Bazinga brethren? That question goes out to everyone in this thread even those who haven't once posted.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jabor posted:

the mass famine as a result of decreased crop growing is in fact an entirely intended consequence

ELON MUSK, SHORTLY AFTER: "I thought it said mass anime"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i also feel like reducing the amount of sunlight to hit the earth by enough to materially affect global warming is one of those things that's guaranteed to have unforeseen consequences

surely, but the amount you need to reflect to have a significant effect isn't *that* great, so the unintended consequences will probably be more unforeseen than the lists in this thread.

we'll almost surely find out at any rate, as far as i know injecting sulfate aerosols in the stratosphere is the idea closest to a bit of geoengineering which could practically be carried out (mostly in that it is very cheap, mimics a natural process, and uses no sci-fi tech), and i doubt we'll manage any actually good solutions before true desperation sets in.

there's some research trying to figure out the dynamics of such ideas at any rate; https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/keutschgroup/scopex . afaik the numbers are such that the pollution of the aerosols themselves would be significant but still outsized by other pollution sources, so that's a start.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

we'll almost surely find out at any rate, as far as i know injecting sulfate aerosols in the stratosphere is the idea closest to a bit of geoengineering which could practically be carried out (mostly in that it is very cheap, mimics a natural process, and uses no sci-fi tech), and i doubt we'll manage any actually good solutions before true desperation sets in.

this is essentially the premise for highlander II by the way

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

why contain it? let it spill over into the schools and churches. let the bodies pile up in the streets. in the end, they'll beg us to save them.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

computerized car

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

TheDarkFlame posted:

How does it feel to bave put more thought into all of these things than Elon or any of his Bazinga brethren? That question goes out to everyone in this thread even those who haven't once posted.

but wired magazine told me this is the cool future weve earned

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Spatial posted:

why contain it?

s'cool

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

surely, but the amount you need to reflect to have a significant effect isn't *that* great, so the unintended consequences will probably be more unforeseen than the lists in this thread.

there's some research trying to figure out the dynamics of such ideas at any rate; https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/keutschgroup/scopex . afaik the numbers are such that the pollution of the aerosols themselves would be significant but still outsized by other pollution sources, so that's a start.

most recent research indicates that sulfate aerosols would likely massively worsen the monsoon season for south east asia, massive flooding beyond even what regular climate change would bring

but the other fun part of a sulfate aerosol program is it could be done unilaterally...so europe or the usa could just decide gently caress you china and india and do it anyway

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
better keep working to see if we can make an aerosol than drowns billionaires instead

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

most recent research indicates that sulfate aerosols would likely massively worsen the monsoon season for south east asia, massive flooding beyond even what regular climate change would bring

but the other fun part of a sulfate aerosol program is it could be done unilaterally...so europe or the usa could just decide gently caress you china and india and do it anyway

by a lot of estimates an aerosol program would in fact be cheap enough that very small nations, corporations, and even some individuals, could in principle fund a pretty significant one. which is why i am quite sure that this will not remain hypothetical for our lifetimes unless things go a lot better than expected.

i don't trust the models all that far when applied to events drastically outside what they are based on though, so hopefully the consequences will at least be more just than that (ideally also not too horrible in general, but at least hitting those deserving is what one might have to settle for).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. remember iron seeding the ocean?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
you mean car batteries.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's safe and perfectly legal!

luv to make pacific algae blooms to bring the salmon back

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

you know, if we just had some weird-rear end meteor land near the tiber river, i think we could solve both these problems at once

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

well why not posted:

lol I’ve seen the same idea on reddit. build a bunch of mirror satellites and have them chill at a Lagrange point. somehow a better idea than taxing the rich apparently

launch enough rich people in to orbit to blot out the needed portion of sunlight

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
https://imgur.com/gallery/gpQLm86

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wonder how the russians got so good at the propganda-like format? it is truly a mystery

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Last Chance posted:

wonder how the russians got so good at the propganda-like format? it is truly a mystery

:chloe:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

eloln, lmaosk

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Grace Baiting posted:

eloln, lmaosk

елон муск

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > Cheilon mask you feel a threat ??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ilon mask

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Gazpacho posted:

there isnt anything after oil, it's consumerist propaganda that makes you assume there must be

but ehat about clean coal

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boiled Water posted:

елон муск
enoh myck :hai:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
elon musket, putting the hack into lifehacks

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

elon blyat

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Jeb Musk!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Please crap

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i don't know if EU countries have class action lawyers like america does, but if so this would be an amazing lawsuit. tesla's server systems are so hosed that i don't see how they could ever pass an audit to prove they deleted all the footage, even if they tried to just do a blanket nuke of all "sentry" cam footage

I'm gonna drop this into conversation the next time I see our data privacy legal head, that should be pretty fun

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that toilet beer table is genius

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i also feel like reducing the amount of sunlight to hit the earth by enough to materially affect global warming is one of those things that's guaranteed to have unforeseen consequences

the thing I like about space mirrors is that you could abort the project immediately in the case of detrimental effects unlike all the other geoengineering/aerosol solutions

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

indigi posted:

the thing I like about space mirrors is that you could abort the project immediately in the case of detrimental effects unlike all the other geoengineering/aerosol solutions

it’d most likely end up like that futurism a bit but instead cut a swath through africa

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

TK-42-1 posted:

it’d most likely end up like that futurism a bit but instead cut a swath through africa

that's called a microwave disaster op

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the Russians used a, oh goddamnit

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

call y combinator once it has an app

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

indigi posted:

you could also do it as a bunch of small ballistic mirrors (sheets of mylar, probably) which would be harder to quick-abort but also be impossible to weaponize and impossible to land on someone's head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i like the bike lock through the cfl