Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
All taskmaster women from space get categorized into the box in my brain labeled “Granny Goodness” where I’m sure I’ll also put Hessonite eventually

THE NEW CRYSTAL GEMS

“Don’t you knock?”

Peridot wants to do the job of the Crystal Gems by assigning roles similar to each of the Crystal Gems. The writers have an extremely clear idea of who Peridot is and are sticking with it.

Pumpkin wearing a birthday hat on his nose

“There is no Amethyst only Garnet”

I feel like every time they say they suck at emulating the Crystal Gems they are actually being more similar than they realize and vice versa

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
poo poo before I even looked that up I wondered if it was 2NE1

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
STORM IN THE ROOM

Dr Maheswaran comes to pick up Connie and Steven kind of... just stares at them. This is great because it’s telling me something is going through his head but I don’t know what yet.

Edit: ok there it is. He doesn’t want to eat near his moms portrait. He took off his earrings took a shower and cooked food and I was on the edge of my seat wondering what the punchline was going to be. That’s some good story boarding.

“You know sometimes I wonder if that’s even you up there. I want to know the real you” :captainpop:

That was a good talk with his mom.

Stretch of townie episodes next. Essential?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 20, 2019

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Townies don't matter ever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
TIGER PHILANTHROPIST is sort of meta in retiring the character in universe and in the show (I hope... it’s getting stale now)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Steve Yun posted:

STORM IN THE ROOM

(Snipped for length)

Stretch of townie episodes next. Essential?

I don't particularly like the very next episode "Rocknaldo", but yes, the subsequent episodes range from important to essential.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I find Rocknaldo really funny and biting but it's a divisive episode on a good day. Tiger Philanthropist is one of like, three episodes I have never seen all the way through so I can't judge, but I hear it's not great. Room for Ruby is good and not a townie episode. The rest of the season is also essential.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Stretch" is a bit of a stretch. The one that don't tie in to the main plot showcase Steven's growth since season 1, and the ones that do, well, they tie in to the main plot.

Don't skip anything, you nut.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
ROOM FOR RUBY is good. Lapis is getting upset with Navy for being too happy but has grown enough to be able to step back and realize it’s her own hangups and not Navy’s fault. This is a good example for kids.

Edit: Welp

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Don't trust anyone.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Still worth a shot.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 20, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
LION 4:

Oh no, Steven has turned into a theorycrafter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
[quote="Steve Yun" post="499290008"
Yellow Diamond’s old fashioned singing evokes 1950s musicals, a nice shorthand for making her feel a lot older than the other gems
[/quote]

IIRC her VA is specifically a Broadway musical singer, so. Been said that the Diamonds have unusual character designs specifically reminiscent of older style anime, Blue Diamond looks like 70s-80s anime (specifically a particular artist I can't remember at the moment) and Yellow Diamond like an 80s-90s anime, like Jojo or DBZ.

Tiger Philanthropist feels like it has some foreshadowing playing with the themes of how to deal with a role you play that used to come naturally to you, but now you've outgrown it, and the difficulty of selling such a change to people who are used to the way you were. And take note of the solution in the end...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC her VA is specifically a Broadway musical singer, so. Been said that the Diamonds have unusual character designs specifically reminiscent of older style anime, Blue Diamond looks like 70s-80s anime (specifically a particular artist I can't remember at the moment) and Yellow Diamond like an 80s-90s anime, like Jojo or DBZ.
Leiji Matsumoto?

I want to say Yellow and White look like art deco

quote:

Tiger Philanthropist feels like it has some foreshadowing playing with the themes of how to deal with a role you play that used to come naturally to you, but now you've outgrown it, and the difficulty of selling such a change to people who are used to the way you were. And take note of the solution in the end...
I’ll buy that

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 20, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yellow Diamond is hella Peter Chung / Aeon Flux.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's the one.

Nearly if not all the townie episodes are allegories for something in the wider scheme of things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Since you know about their existence - Pink Diamond is based on the art style of Utena (her outfit is directly the outfit of the Rose Prince in Utena's shadow plays) , and White isn't anime, she's based on Nell Brinkley and 1920s/30s fashion - Brinkley blended elements of both Deco and Nouveau in her look and used a lot of high-contrast blocks of black and white in her art.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 20, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MikeJF posted:

Since you know about their existence - Pink Diamond is based on the art style of Utena (her outfit is directly the outfit of the Rose Prince in Utena's shadow plays) , and White isn't anime, she's based on Nell Brinkley and 1920s/30s fashion - Brinkley blended elements of both Deco and Nouveau in her look and used a lot of high-contrast blocks of black and white in her art.

There's also a distinctly Metropolis/Magic Flute (specifically then Queen of the Night) look to White Diamond

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I was just watching this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq0bQwZeMyQ

"You could drop the barn on the beach" :lol:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

There's also a distinctly Metropolis/Magic Flute (specifically then Queen of the Night) look to White Diamond

Oh yeah, I haven't seen it confirmed but I'd assume that she was also heavily inspired by the Maria look linked above

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A few characters have their own particular design styles that borrow from other sources. Spinel of course looks like a Golden Age cartoon, and apparently Aquamarine was inspired by South Park, which is pretty obvious when you look at her design.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spinel of course looks like a Golden Age cartoon

Pre-golden-age, really. The golden age phased out the rubber hose style from earlier.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Many people pointed out that Happy Spinel’s heart ponytails are always perpendicular to the camera like Mickey Mouse’s ears.

I saw one theory suggesting Unhappy Spinel is a riff on Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, which is an attractive theory since Oswald was sort of abandoned by Disney (a theme already visited in Epic Mickey)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole story is actually wilder; Walt Disney lost the rights to Oswald so he made Mickey instead, and like 3/4 of a century later the Disney company traded the contract for an actual live sports commentator for the unused rights to the character.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If Apple ever allows third party watch faces, I want a Spinel watch face that rips off the classic Mickey watch.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Annasui: *reads Universal guidebook* Where the gently caress is Spinel?!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole story is actually wilder; Walt Disney lost the rights to Oswald so he made Mickey instead, and like 3/4 of a century later the Disney company traded the contract for an actual live sports commentator for the unused rights to the character.

And then they just used Oswald to make Epic Mickey which was...not a real good use of him? Or Mickey to be honest.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Funky Valentine posted:

And then they just used Oswald to make Epic Mickey which was...not a real good use of him? Or Mickey to be honest.

They have an Oswald themed gift shop at California Adventure as well as a walk around character, though they haven’t been using it as often.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Rumor mill has it that Oswald will be getting a series on Disney+

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
DOUG OUT

Veronica Cucamonga and Peter Pizzapopolis

Connie pointing out that Pizzapopolis sounds more Greek than Italian is great. I also just remembered a few episodes ago she was doing mad libs and all of her words were SAT words

“Oh no the laws of physics” while something breaks the laws of physics

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 20, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Some more thoughts on Blue Diamond’s design:

Leiji Matsumoto always drew women either with droopy eyes or half closed bedroom eyes.

He wasn’t the only one though, there was Belladonna of Sadness (1973) by Eiichi Yamamoto

I don’t have any examples I can find online but if you read Crying Freeman (illustrated by Ryoichi Ikegami) there was something that stuck out to me: all the women in the manga who ever had droopy eyes were white women. It made me look back on Leiji Matsumoto’s designs with a different perspective. I got the feeling there was this unspoken agreement among these artists that droopy eyes was a uniquely Caucasian feature, something exotic to Japan, and therefore it was HOT.

Depending on the scene however, sometimes Blue’s eyebrows will turn into tiny apostrophes:

And with the way her hair is draped around her:

Reminds me of medieval Japanese brides who shaved their eyebrows and drew fake corgi eyebrows:

Ironically this was done to prevent accidentally revealing your emotions, the opposite of Blue’s character.

So overall I’m guessing the character design was looking to Japanese influences for Blue, but by looking to Matsumoto as an influence they also mixed in what he pictured as Caucasian

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 20, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yellow Diamond like an 80s-90s anime, like Jojo or DBZ.

It checks out

Also this show needs more JoJo references

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 20, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I said I thought Yellow was Art Deco but I guess with her spiky hair and pauldrons and warlike attitude, DBZ makes more sense

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Yellow Diamond hasn't even shown you her full power yet

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if each type of Gem is a reference to a certain art/cartoon/anime style/trend.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It feels like it. Like Lapis looks a lot like 90’s Disney such as Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin

Aquamarine is South Park

Or maybe most are but not all cause what would ruby and sapphire be

Maybe early gem designs are not modeled after anything at all and they came up with the idea of modeling them after different art styles in later episodes

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 21, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

I just remembered something from a spoiler video and had to check again:

Pearl has been ”studying humans” a lot since this

lol, I completely forgot about her collection of girls’ phone numbers

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

overmind2000 posted:

Also this show needs more JoJo references

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KxuedIj30

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Augus posted:

lol, I completely forgot about her collection of girls’ phone numbers

She even got a little black book

Edit: VVV ooooOOOOoooo that’s obscure

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 21, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Steve Yun posted:

It feels like it. Like Lapis looks a lot like 90’s Disney such as Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin

Those and also an anime called Ogon Bat/Golden Bat/Fantaman from the 60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoVf0WHExN8

The full episode, for anyone interested in ancient anime with Italian dubs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=930ZJXBwYZs

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rewatching MR GREG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nFVzk_cSE
Pearl seems to be putting up her guard against Greg even before shouting no, when Greg exclaims they’re having fun, and Pearl dials it down by saying “more or less”

Is it... unfair to Pearl that Steven kind of railroads her into getting over Rose?