Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Cicero posted:

Yeah, but I really don't think laying pipes or whatever is equivalent to what hunter gatherers did all day.

Hunter-gatherers got more time off.

Pretty sure it's been proven that most literal feudal peasants got more time off than American workers do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/Dropbox/status/809089934501945344?s=19

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure it's been proven that most literal feudal peasants got more time off than American workers do now.

I think that sort of inherently includes the winter months where they were forced to sleep most of the day to conserve energy so they wouldn't run out of food and starve though. And lol no subsistence farming isn't some magical frou frou candyland where you just get loads of time off.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Feinne posted:

I think that sort of inherently includes the winter months where they were forced to sleep most of the day to conserve energy so they wouldn't run out of food and starve though. And lol no subsistence farming isn't some magical frou frou candyland where you just get loads of time off.

Yeah and during the times of highest labor during the year you're doing a shitload of hard manual labor and that wears you down hard. The fact that you got to sit around the house or a village pub doesn't really make up for that.

I've seen a lot of dumb social media stuff lately that's like "the peasants got over 12 weeks of vacation a year" and man, I really don't think you get to count the downtime as vacations when you barely have the option to go a few dozen miles away or whatever.

And in that same time period, the nobility is getting to do poo poo like gently caress off away from their main country home to spend a season of parties and dances and banquets in the important cities, or to take a leisurely tour of Europe and sometimes North Africa and the 'Holy Land'.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the peasant comparison is weird because you can just compare it to the nordic countries where they work an average (almost) two months less than we do.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think earnestly posting about how life was better as a feudal peasant or about how manual labor takes less of a toll on the human body than pressing buttons on a computer is a sign that maybe you need to take a break from reading the news media sources feeding your victim mentality.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

fishmech posted:

Yeah and during the times of highest labor during the year you're doing a shitload of hard manual labor and that wears you down hard. The fact that you got to sit around the house or a village pub doesn't really make up for that.

I've seen a lot of dumb social media stuff lately that's like "the peasants got over 12 weeks of vacation a year" and man, I really don't think you get to count the downtime as vacations when you barely have the option to go a few dozen miles away or whatever.

And in that same time period, the nobility is getting to do poo poo like gently caress off away from their main country home to spend a season of parties and dances and banquets in the important cities, or to take a leisurely tour of Europe and sometimes North Africa and the 'Holy Land'.

The list I saw include that point was very mask-off, one of the things in favor of the peasant was 'never heard of feminism'.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Pro: you don't have to go to meetings

Con: you die by 30

Also the only reason white collar workers think poo poo like "hmm working in something physical might be nice" is because they haven't ever had a proper physical job, they've only done the thing as a hobby which, surprise surprise, is actually enjoyable. Once you have a supervisor breathing down your neck exploiting the gently caress out of you it kinda stops being fun

So yeah we should make sure all workers have reasonable hours, plenty of chances to feel useful and grow in the role they enjoy, and get paid enough to lead a comfortable life no matter what they do

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 19, 2019

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Computers is the only reason I can hold a job. I did the service and manual labor jobs and I'm never going back!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pochoclo posted:

Also the only reason white collar workers think poo poo like "hmm working in something physical might be nice" is because they haven't ever had a proper physical job, they've only done the thing as a hobby which, surprise surprise, is actually enjoyable. Once you have a supervisor breathing down your neck exploiting the gently caress out of you it kinda stops being fun

So yeah we should make sure all workers have reasonable hours, plenty of chances to feel useful and grow in the role they enjoy, and get paid enough to lead a comfortable life no matter what they do

Another aspect is people think of it as like well my uncle's a plumber or an electrician and he does great! While forgetting that said uncle had easily 20-30 years of lovely work beforehand to get to the position he has now where he has apprentices and employees who can take the load off of him, and also has what amounts to enough local prestige to really set his terms for payment and job scope.

And that can also still come tumbling down in an instant. One of my own uncles was doing very well for himself as an electrician, but he had some kind of accident on a job site and recovering from it left him unable to work for months and some of the people he had hired moved onto working with other people. He ended up not being able to keep up on his mortgage and had to sell the house to get that taking care of and move into a kinda lovely apartment on short notice, store old furniture and keepsakes with relatives, etc. Still hasn't been able to get a house, even a smaller one (let's be honest the place he'd moved his family to before the accident was a bit much) and it's been nearly 5 years now as he rebuilds from it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Best response: "Is diversity taking the picture?"

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

Diversity is just out of the frame, laughing with them.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The really sad thing is, if that was a software development team, it'd be an immense amount of diversity, because those are like 95% white males

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pochoclo posted:

The really sad thing is, if that was a software development team, it'd be an immense amount of diversity, because those are like 95% white males

It's like you're not even counting the Indian, and Chinese diversity hires who love our company so much they'll leave the country "because their Visa mandates it" if they lose the job!

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

the peasant comparison is weird because you can just compare it to the nordic countries where they work an average (almost) two months less than we do.

Not sure about the whole two months but I have 6 weeks paid vacation plus bank holidays which I guess add up too.

Not complaining :sweden:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pochoclo posted:

I'm a computer toucher now. Part of this is because I can't really do physical labor anymore thanks to some broken parts. Not 40 hours a week, anyway.

I'd prefer to go back to unloading trucks.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
There's plenty of diversity in that picture.

R-L: Big cans, medium cans, small cans.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feudal peasants had to grind their grain for bread and cook it this sole act took in excess of 8 hrs a day. Just to feed the family supper.

Being at home and being off is a different thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Feudal peasants had to grind their grain for bread and cook it this sole act took in excess of 8 hrs a day. Just to feed the family supper.

Being at home and being off is a different thing.
Yeah. Hunter-gatherers have free time to mess around. Peasants are working nonstop to feed and clothe not just themselves but their overlords. Subsistence farming is hard enough, but subsistence farming where you're paying a tithe and/or providing actual labor to the landlord is worse. In particularly, a woman needs to be spinning nonstop to keep the family clothed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah. Hunter-gatherers have free time to mess around. Peasants are working nonstop to feed and clothe not just themselves but their overlords. Subsistence farming is hard enough, but subsistence farming where you're paying a tithe and/or providing actual labor to the landlord is worse. In particularly, a woman needs to be spinning nonstop to keep the family clothed.

Spinning bread or spinning thread

Life of a peasant.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Spinning bread or spinning thread

Life of a peasant.

Well, you could always go fight in a war somewhere. Options!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Not sure about the whole two months but I have 6 weeks paid vacation plus bank holidays which I guess add up too.

in terms of hours worked per year, americans work 7.5 full-time weeks more than people in the nordic countries.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Motronic posted:

Maybe they’re drinking different wines?

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, for the most part, we do not respect workers.

Moneyed interests in America have been devaluing workers and encouraging workers to devalue themselves for the entirety of this country’s history which is why it’s so engrained in people here that they should suffer and get nothing for their toil, while workers in other developed western countries have mandatory sick leave, mandatory paid time off, and in some places do crazy poo poo like consider time spent traveling to work as time at work.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 20, 2019

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Woops meant to edit that last post rather than quote it

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

i am harry posted:

Moneyed interests in America have been devaluing workers and encouraging workers to devalue themselves for the entirety of this country’s history which is why it’s so engrained in people here that they should suffer and get nothing for their toil, while workers in other developed western countries have mandatory sick leave, mandatory paid time off, and in some places do crazy poo poo like consider time spent traveling to work as time at work.

One of the coolest parts about Europe is finding out the cashier at the convenience store is going to spend 2-3 weeks at the beach. As an American it didn't even dawn on me that service people could be paid while not at work. It is very nice.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

InAndOutBrennan posted:

That's double what's considered "good" vacation time in the USA, and workers often only get off for super-major bank holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

In lots of retail you're not allowed to call out or ask off on holidays, nor do you get holiday pay. Such as the largest employer in America, Walmart

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And in increasing number of white collar jobs instead of getting holidays off you are required to use your vacation days for the holidays instead. So you must spend some of your 10-14 days of vacation (lucky you, better be thankful you get any days at all!) a year on Christmas through New Years or whatever other holidays your boss demands.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
In the middle of the Extraordinary Missionary Month of October, the Pope’s Worldwide Prayer Network launched the “Click To Pray eRosary” at a press conference in the Vatican on October 15.

The Click To Pray eRosary is an interactive, smart and app-driven wearable device that serves as a tool for learning how to pray the rosary for peace in the world. It can be worn as a bracelet and is activated by making the sign of the cross. It is synchronized with a free app of the same name, which allows access to an audio guide, exclusive images and personalized content about the praying of the Rosary.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I'm always surprised more Americans who claim Irish/Italian passports (both of which are fairly easy to qualify for) don't move to Europe. I've worked on both continents in white collar jobs, and the quality of life is just massively different. Having 7 weeks paid leave a year (including bank holidays), plus at least a week of paid sick days, just makes a massive difference. If you're paid poorly you can at least sit at home and mentally recharge/spend time with your family with your leave, if you're financially comfortable most people take a couple of 2 week vacations a year plus a few long weekend trips, as well as days off for family events, weddings etc.

Its not even like theres a massive pay difference, or any language barrier moving to Ireland in particular. Or to London, or even Amsterdam.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Blut posted:

I'm always surprised more Americans who claim Irish/Italian passports (both of which are fairly easy to qualify for) don't move to Europe. I've worked on both continents in white collar jobs, and the quality of life is just massively different. Having 7 weeks paid leave a year (including bank holidays), plus at least a week of paid sick days, just makes a massive difference. If you're paid poorly you can at least sit at home and mentally recharge/spend time with your family with your leave, if you're financially comfortable most people take a couple of 2 week vacations a year plus a few long weekend trips, as well as days off for family events, weddings etc.

Its not even like there's a massive pay difference, or any language barrier moving to Ireland in particular. Or to London, or even Amsterdam.

When I was first out of college and looking at an impossible amount of debt (no job yet) I had piled up some student loan savings to move to New Zealand. I ended up getting an ok Job and skipped this plan, but I am really shocked more kids are not doing it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Civilized Fishbot posted:

In the middle of the Extraordinary Missionary Month of October, the Pope’s Worldwide Prayer Network launched the “Click To Pray eRosary” at a press conference in the Vatican on October 15.

The Click To Pray eRosary is an interactive, smart and app-driven wearable device that serves as a tool for learning how to pray the rosary for peace in the world. It can be worn as a bracelet and is activated by making the sign of the cross. It is synchronized with a free app of the same name, which allows access to an audio guide, exclusive images and personalized content about the praying of the Rosary.

Your Top 10 Causes to Pray For Today

Oh no! It seems you've run out of Prayer Beads! Wait 6 hours to recharge, or click here to receive more through the grace of a small donation.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Praying the Rosary is long and boring as gently caress so props to the Vatican for adding achievement support at least.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Blut posted:

Its not even like theres a massive pay difference, or any language barrier moving to Ireland in particular. Or to London, or even Amsterdam.

The answer to this is extremely simple. It is really, really hard to do, even if you have the passport thing covered. I know, I did it and I'm moving back to the US next week for a job with less interesting work, fewer benefits and about the same pay/cost-of-living ratio.

You leave behind your entire safety and social network and end up completely dependent on your company to get you situated and if the person who is tasked with helping you is a dumpster fire of idiocy, you're hosed. Even well-meaning people just don't understand why its different for you because you don't have the lifetime of local context to help you understand what is going on. Maybe its easier if you speak the local language.* Maybe its easier if you have someone to come home to and share in the tough parts. I don't know. But for me, it has been somehow terrible and boring at the same time and I'm really tired of being alone all the time.

* On this point and to your point about Amsterdam. Unless government/general business is conducted in a language you speak, it doesn't matter that all the waiters or whatever speak it. Google translate will literally translate a picture of a menu. The problem is trying to figure out what you do or say when you go to the hospital and the staff there says the health card your company issued isn't genuine and can't be used.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 20, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Actually the pay difference between the US and western Europe for white collar professionals is usually quite large, excepting like Switzerland/Luxembourg/Norway. Income inequality favors you if you're on the right side of it, after all, and the US' GDP per capita is substantially higher (albeit a large portion of that is just working a lot more hours).

I actually did make that jump, going to Germany, but it involved a substantial pay cut. But on the upside, double the vacation was quite nice.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah I’ve heard that too—obviously quality of life is kind of a subjective judgement, but I’ve heard that it is better financially to be upper-middle class in America vs. Europe.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, significantly reduced chance of getting shot at.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People also tend to have strong emotional attachments to the country and culture they grew up in, even it is bad in many ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

MickeyFinn posted:

The answer to this is extremely simple. It is really, really hard to do, even if you have the passport thing covered. I know, I did it and I'm moving back to the US next week for a job with less interesting work, fewer benefits and about the same pay/cost-of-living ratio.

You leave behind your entire safety and social network and end up completely dependent on your company to get you situated and if the person who is tasked with helping you is a dumpster fire of idiocy, you're hosed. Even well-meaning people just don't understand why its different for you because you don't have the lifetime of local context to help you understand what is going on. Maybe its easier if you speak the local language.* Maybe its easier if you have someone to come home to and share in the tough parts. I don't know. But for me, it has been somehow terrible and boring at the same time and I'm really tired of being alone all the time.

* On this point and to your point about Amsterdam. Unless government/general business is conducted in a language you speak, it doesn't matter that all the waiters or whatever speak it. Google translate will literally translate a picture of a menu. The problem is trying to figure out what you do or say when you go to the hospital and the staff there says the health card your company issued isn't genuine and can't be used.

Where did you move to/from? Did you have a passport for each country? Its much, much easier to move in that case. I'd never advocate anyone trying to move country on a work visa, thats an entirely different (much harder) ballgame. But my point was relating to the many Americans who already have, or who qualify, for Italian/Irish passports.

I moved from the US East Coast to California. And back again. And from the East Coast to Dublin. And I found it easier logistically moving to Ireland. Its a comparable distance away, the same language, and a similar culture. Its no different in terms of leaving behind your safety and social network than any other medium-haul distance move.

Re: Language both Dublin and London are obviously entirely English speaking. Amsterdam is mostly English speaking for MNC tech/finance rolls these days, and English fluency is probably close to that found in Alabama in the general population. There are absolutely no problems dealing with government employees in it.

To be clear I'm not arguing a big move is a super easy thing to do. But its just that its quite common for white collar professionals to move from Boston or NYC to LA or San Fran for work. But not to move to Dublin or London. Which I've always found odd, given the similar effort involved. And the huge lifestyle benefits to be had.

This isn't even touching on the student debt issue which someone else brought up, which is always something I've wondered about. Would moving permanently from the US to Europe effectively allow someone to skip out on $100k of student debt if they had it?

Cicero posted:

Actually the pay difference between the US and western Europe for white collar professionals is usually quite large, excepting like Switzerland/Luxembourg/Norway. Income inequality favors you if you're on the right side of it, after all, and the US' GDP per capita is substantially higher (albeit a large portion of that is just working a lot more hours).

I actually did make that jump, going to Germany, but it involved a substantial pay cut. But on the upside, double the vacation was quite nice.

I took a paycut of about 20% moving to Europe. But went from under 10 days vacation a year to 34 vacation days + unquestioned paid 5 sick days, and 5 more paid sick days with a doctor's note. So basically 8 weeks vacation a year. And from regular 50 hour weeks to 40 hour weeks on the button every week. None of which are unusual for European white collar jobs. Which made it entirely worthwhile, to me anyway.

The pay difference varies a lot, though. If you're a very high earner in the US ($200k+) yeah you're going to have to take a big paycut. But for a lot of middle income white collar jobs ($60-$120k) its possible to get a similar wage in places that I mentioned like Dublin/London/Amsterdam.

GDP per capita isn't an ideal way to measure things, but even using that since you mention it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OECD_regions_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

You can see how highly ranked the EU fintech job centers rank. The salary difference is a lot, lot smaller these days than it used to be 10 or 20 years ago.