Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Re: the lost and the damned

malacador mentions they hid the warp from all the primarchs save one who had the mettle to resist. who was it? Magnus? They dont say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Lion? Didn't he land in a forest with chaos monsters and his home world was sort of overrun with chaos monsters and didn't even mutate an additional pinky or anything.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Polgas posted:

Lion? Didn't he land in a forest with chaos monsters and his home world was sort of overrun with chaos monsters and didn't even mutate an additional pinky or anything.

O poo poo I think you may be right

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's definitely not Magus, on account of not even being aware of the Chaos Gods and also, this is important to note, famously not having the mettle to resist.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's actually one of the two lost Primarchs who had the mettle to resist, because he's a blank. He's still knocking around the Imperial Palace with the Legion made from his geneseed but part of the process means literally nobody is able to notice them so they're just all wandering around pretending to be ghosts these last 10k years or so.

Dog_Meat posted:

He did it after the heresy so no single commander would ever have the power of an entire legion again.

Which is kinda horseshit really, because if Guilliman says "to me, my Ultramarines!" do you really think some off-shoot chapter run by Chapter Master Genericus is going to say no?
At the point in time that the Second Founding was a thing the post-Heresy fate of the Primarchs was mostly :shrug: with the implication that only Guilliman was left and he was on his way out due to mystery illness/injury.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

malacador mentions they hid the warp from all the primarchs save one who had the mettle to resist. who was it? Magnus? They dont say

It's gotta be Russ right? As the executioner he would need to know what he is potentially dealing with, plus he continued to openly use ruin priests after Nikea and nobody said a thing

Arquinsiel posted:

At the point in time that the Second Founding was a thing the post-Heresy fate of the Primarchs was mostly :shrug: with the implication that only Guilliman was left and he was on his way out due to mystery illness/injury.

At least some of the primarchs were still around because several sources talk about resistance from them to break up their legions. Dorn specifically had a big problem with it and it was a factor in the fight he disappeared in.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

D-Pad posted:

It's gotta be Russ right? As the executioner he would need to know what he is potentially dealing with, plus he continued to openly use ruin priests after Nikea and nobody said a thing

At least some of the primarchs were still around because several sources talk about resistance from them to break up their legions. Dorn specifically had a big problem with it and it was a factor in the fight he disappeared in.

Russ, Jaghatai, Dorn, Vulkan and Guilliman were the 5 who 'survived' the Heresy. Ferrus and Sanguinus died during it, Jonson was MIA after the fall of Caliban, and Corax went into the warp just afterward to atone for making mutant Space Marines.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Technowolf posted:

Russ, Jaghatai, Dorn, Vulkan and Guilliman were the 5 who 'survived' the Heresy. Ferrus and Sanguinus died during it, Jonson was MIA after the fall of Caliban, and Corax went into the warp just afterward to atone for making mutant Space Marines.

Yep, from Dorn's article on the wiki:

quote:

Dorn, Leman Russ of the Space Wolves and Vulkan of the Salamanders all refused the dictates of the Codex, and the Imperium seemed poised to tear itself apart in civil war again. The Imperial Fists Strike Cruiser The Terrible Angel was even fired upon by the newborn Imperial Navy for the Fists' supposed heresies against the Imperium's new order.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D-Pad posted:

*now* some of them were still around and had problems with it.

In ~1989 when they were writing the Second Founding first they just assumed they were all dead and implied that Guilliman was the last living one who wrote the order on his deathbed.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Waroduce posted:

It's interesting you use the word "mettle". What kind of "mettle" does it take to resist corruption? There's a book where the Emperor recounts a tale of a psyker who made pacts with the Chaos gods to help his village survive a brutal winter. My impression was that he made those pacts because he lacked the skill to provide his people with the protections they needed. Perhaps a fully trained psyker is less vulnerable to the temptations of Chaos because he is more self-sufficient. He can say "no thanks, daemon, I know how to do that myself". Magnus succumbed to corruption not because he lacked strength of will but because he couldn't figure a way out of his problems - namely, the Space Wolves ripping up his planet and the Flesh Change, which the Emperor did nothing to stop.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Lost and the Damned was ok, but it didnt do much for me. No super cool reveals but it was fun to see the set up for the coming war.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Raldoron's duel near the end was worth the price of admission :getin:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So there is a squat in the first story of the new Inferno that came out this weekend. First one I have seen in any new stuff for a very long time.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Itd be super cool if Talos and others made a cameo especially since we got to see some other night lords we know

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Itd be super cool if Talos and others made a cameo especially since we got to see some other night lords we know

Out of anyone I'm really surprised malcharion hasn't gotten a mention, the war sage seemed to have the respect of the whole legion.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Listening to Plague War. Is old-type, year 40k space marines not believing in the emperor as god a retcon? I feel like they were plenty religious in all the pre-Guilliman books I read. Though maybe it just wasn’t really mentioned explicitly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Marines and their religious views differ from chapter to chapter, with some being hardcore Cult Imperialis worshippers and others being pragmatic secularists.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Marines and their religious views differ from chapter to chapter, with some being hardcore Cult Imperialis worshippers and others being pragmatic secularists.

Theres a bit of mysticism that hangs over every chapter with their rites and hymns and such but generally speaking the closer you are to the codex the less religious you are. Ultramarines and their successors venerate heroes but are pretty secular, Salamanders and Templars are hella not. Blood Angels have their own thing going on because of their personal relationship with the primarch and their flaw.

To be extra fair though, in a universe where psychic powers and demons are just plain real theres really not much functional difference between seeking guidance from the psychic remnant of your all powerful forefather to protect against interdimensional entities and praying to god to save you from demons. It's more a difference of attitude between the chapters.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 22, 2019

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

peanut- posted:

Listening to Plague War. Is old-type, year 40k space marines not believing in the emperor as god a retcon? I feel like they were plenty religious in all the pre-Guilliman books I read. Though maybe it just wasn’t really mentioned explicitly.

There were 'secular' chapters in canon before the Horus Heresy series was written, ones that "venerate" rather than worship the Emperor. Others chapters were/are fully into the God-Emperor thing though.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

peanut- posted:

It's a little complicated. They acknowledge the Emperor's supernatural powers, but explain them as being the ultimate human, the very best humanity can be. But at the same time they still worship the Emperor, just not in the same way and with the same subservience the rest of humanity does.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's a little complicated. They acknowledge the Emperor's supernatural powers, but explain them as being the ultimate human, the very best humanity can be. But at the same time they still worship the Emperor, just not in the same way and with the same subservience the rest of humanity does.

All Hail the Man Emperor!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

You know how Odin is a god, but also a king? And how his followers like the Valkries serve him faithfully but probably don't worship him like mortals do? It's kind of like that.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I just want to share how wonderful "Hamilcar, Champion of the Gods" is.

Imagine a Danny McBride, illiterate, dumb as hell stormcast who has erotic dreams featuring Ikrit Klaw, and you're only halfway there.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
"bloke can punch on but can't handle his piss" - a space wolf,

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dont doxx me

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Immanentized posted:

I just want to share how wonderful "Hamilcar, Champion of the Gods" is.

Imagine a Danny McBride, illiterate, dumb as hell stormcast who has erotic dreams featuring Ikrit Klaw, and you're only halfway there.

It was a really fun book. Also it was funny seeing Chaos Warriors being used as fodder by beastmen, when normally it's the other way around.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I mentioned them after I read them, but I haven't seen much discussion in here regarding the more recent books. The Hollow Mountain, The Great Work, Rites of Passage, Celestine, The Solar War, The Lost and the Damned.

Let's get some recent lore discussion going. What are y'all's thoughts on any of these you've read. Celestine was lackluster, but I really enjoyed all the others. Or if anybody has questions about these or their lore I can answer.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

D-Pad posted:

So I mentioned them after I read them, but I haven't seen much discussion in here regarding the more recent books. The Hollow Mountain, The Great Work, Rites of Passage, Celestine, The Solar War, The Lost and the Damned.

Let's get some recent lore discussion going. What are y'all's thoughts on any of these you've read. Celestine was lackluster, but I really enjoyed all the others. Or if anybody has questions about these or their lore I can answer.

Reading through The Great Work after recently reading through The Devestation of Baal and Plague War. Guy Haley is great in the sense he can smash out ok books consistently but I never come away from one of his novels absolutely blown away like I do with Abnett or Demski-Bowden and occasionally Wright.

I feel he's the go to guy to forward the plot because he can write it in 3 months to a good standard and include all the latest model releases without kicking up a fuss.

I've said this before quite a lot, especially about Abnett. But I'd like to see Haley given his own little corner of the universe to write about and give him a decent page length rather than the 400 odd pages every 40K book is. I wish we saw more variety of novel length from BL, its rare I don't read something and think it could do with another hundred pages. It's a good sign he's been given a Siege of Terra book though which I haven't read yet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ed balls balls man posted:

Reading through The Great Work after recently reading through The Devestation of Baal and Plague War. Guy Haley is great in the sense he can smash out ok books consistently but I never come away from one of his novels absolutely blown away like I do with Abnett or Demski-Bowden and occasionally Wright.

I feel he's the go to guy to forward the plot because he can write it in 3 months to a good standard and include all the latest model releases without kicking up a fuss.

I've said this before quite a lot, especially about Abnett. But I'd like to see Haley given his own little corner of the universe to write about and give him a decent page length rather than the 400 odd pages every 40K book is. I wish we saw more variety of novel length from BL, its rare I don't read something and think it could do with another hundred pages. It's a good sign he's been given a Siege of Terra book though which I haven't read yet.

Having about a dozen books and shorts read now from a bunch of various authors I have to say Haley's space marine writing is what sticks with me more than anything else I've read in black library. They're given emotion in a way I appreciate which is the style of old heroic epics where heroes burn with an intensity that's hard to match. They aren't all stoics who can only show no fear: they smolder with fury and weep openly at their losses, but most importantly they question and doubt and even despair at their place in the glaaxy as it burns around them and they feel they can barely keep up. They're ancient and tired and their emotions are larger than life as their sense of duty stretches them beyond the breaking point because of it.

I'm going through Eisenhorn and despite being a very different genre of action and still also being very entertaining and good to me it feels really cartoonish compared to the emotional height I felt at the end devastation of baal.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

ed balls balls man posted:

His siege book follows the trend of me finishing not thinking it was bad but not having any pull to think about. Him and french got the short end of the stick having to set everything up drags both siege books down a bit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I burned a bunch of Audible credits to do Dante, Devastation of Baal, Dark Imperium, and Plague War (the last of which I just finished yesterday). And over all my feelings are quite mixed. I liked Dante quite a bit for the character work and it succeeded in making me care about Dante in a way that I rarely do about 40k characters, particularly ones who have the kind of Hero of the Imperium resume that he does. Devastation had the best action and most impressive story beats, but I missed the mono-focus on one character. Still, it was nice the way things dovetailed from Dante to give the guy something approaching a resolution, though it might have been more powerful if he'd actually died rather then been forced to carry on. But that's a line-wide problem, since if a character has a miniature, and especially a popular one, then GW is loathe to let them die and stay dead. Anyone remember Eldrad being marked for death at the end of the Eye of Terror Campaign because Order lost? What d you know, the guy's still around. And let's not even talk about how many named characters from Fantasy managed to survive the literal end of the world to make it into AoS.

The DI books felt like a step back to me, especially Dark Imperium. I enjoyed seeing the 40k universe through Guilliman's horrified eyes, but a lot of the rest had me waiting to get back to Bobby G. Having the infected guardsman as a PoV character in Imperium was a decent trick, but doing so sort of spoiled the effect for Plague War because it was no longer surprising when other PoV characters came to bad ends. In particular, I thought that killing off the young saint girl was a waste, because having Bobby be mad that she died was one thing, but having him have to deal with her presence in his army would have been a much more interesting thing. :colbert:

All told, I enjoyed all four books to various degrees, and I'll read the next ones in the series as well.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

New fan made film coming out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11SFXwA4ahU

Not on Astartes level but looks worth following to see how it does.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I have seen speculation that Valdor: Birth of the Imperium limited edition goes on sale tomorrow. This is definitely one LE I am very interested in picking up.

Does anybody know what time they go on sale? I have heard 10am, but 10am in what time zone? Any tips or tricks for snagging one? I believe these tend to go fast.

Orv
May 4, 2011

D-Pad posted:

New fan made film coming out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11SFXwA4ahU

Not on Astartes level but looks worth following to see how it does.

This just reinforces how utterly spoiled we are by the Astartes guy.

That said Warhammer by way of up-ressed Black Isle era cinematics isn't entirely bad. Certainly can't be as bad as that Inquisitor thing from a while back, nevermind that I was the only one who didn't like it and I will shout that into the void forever.

E: Or No John Hurt, You Are The Demons.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 26, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Which book has the cool lady captain that even Angron likes in it?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Betrayer

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

She's also in the short story A Rose Watered with Blood read it after Betrayer.

Edit: Speaking of shorts just read Prince of Crows and it explains how/why Lion has Cruze loose on board his flagship in Unremembered Empire.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 26, 2019

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Guyver posted:

She's also in the short story A Rose Watered with Blood read it after Betrayer.

Edit: Speaking of shorts just read Prince of Crows and it explains how/why Lion has Cruze loose on board his flagship in Unremembered Empire.

I’m never gonna read that any chance I can get a short recap?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Rose watered with Blood is about the Conqueror trying to get to Terra for the party but part of the crew want off because it's evil now and they try to get Lotara to help She lets them get off then blows them up in space and sics Kharn on the rest.

Prince of Crows is about Sevatar trying to reorganize the Night Lords fleet so they can get to Terra after they got their poo poo pushed in by the Dark Angels and Lion put Curze in a coma. There are flash backs to both Sevetar and Curze's upbringings. Curze wakes up extra crazy and rams his ship into the Dark Angels flag ship for round two with Lion on top of a man-pile Also Sevatar is pretty awesome.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I started the new Cawl novel, and it's bad writing even for BL standards. Actually unreadable. As I can't force myself to wade through the loose stool water to find out what Cawl is doing, is there a good synopsis?