Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Are they still dealing with the unbelievably old man? I've not read the manga in a couple of years but I swear they've been dealing with the insanely old man ever since I started following the thread again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

multijoe posted:

Are they still dealing with the unbelievably old man? I've not read the manga in a couple of years but I swear they've been dealing with the insanely old man ever since I started following the thread again.

the incredibly 89-year-old man's bullshit is becoming very interesting as of the last few months, although it certainly took a second. I think where we are with this flashback and the impending conference at the hospital is heading us toward the endgame of the part, which is exciting

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I can't wait for the colored manga to get released, so I'll be able to make heads or tails of what's happening.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's totally going to be a misunderstanding where Mistuba thinks that Gappy iced Fun Fun Fun guy.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've completely lost track of if/when a flashback started.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I only just now remembered that Speedwagon died at the age of 89. Coincidence?

Yeah, probably.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
poo poo there was a flashback? Er, we're in a flashback?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah I think we were at harvest time for the rokaka when Norisuke was in a body bag. Now we're at a day before the harvest I think?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that rokakaka gonna ripen and contain the nuts of jesus or something, the Forgotten Piece of Jesus that everyone left out in part 7

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

multijoe posted:

There was ozone baby who was an old man baby. And there was the decript old rockman who bit people with the blue hawaii stand. Theres been a lot of old men

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Dolomite isn't even forty, he just looks really hosed up.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

that rokakaka gonna ripen and contain the nuts of jesus or something, the Forgotten Piece of Jesus that everyone left out in part 7

well, the corpse was on the higashikata estate for some amount of time

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there's a whole lot of poo poo that's really messy and I wonder if the corpse and wall eyes and such are going to be connected

also the head doctor's stand is a lot like the corpse's divine protection

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the old man...
...this thread...
...89 pages?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Satoru's gonna be really peeved when no one attends his lecture for some strange reason.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

Yeah, probably.

89 years old????

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Aurora posted:

there's a whole lot of poo poo that's really messy and I wonder if the corpse and wall eyes and such are going to be connected

also the head doctor's stand is a lot like the corpse's divine protection

I'm not sure Araki even remembers the wall eyes at this point.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheLoneStar posted:

Yeah, probably.

Patware posted:

is that evil speedwagon

IS THAT EVIL SPEEDWAGON

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Without looking much at this thread because spoilers, I just want to leave my opinion on Stone Ocean. Holy gently caress was it good! Jolyne was badass and the supporting cast was all great!

Some of the stuff feels like Araki learned his mistakes from Part 5. Stands mostly make sense, and solutions rarely feel like bullshit. We get way more interactions between characters. Pucci's ability is basically King Crimson, too. I mean, sure, he "fast forwards" time, but it's basically making him so fast that he can teleport behind you without you realising, which is essentially the same.

It's definitely the darkest part so far. Big flashback was loving terrifying in places, but there are also some great comedy moments. Annasui being REALLY PISSED that there wasn't an image of Mickey is great, but I also really enjoyed some small interactions, like "He's an idiot who drinks his own piss". Actually that dude was probably my least favorite both as a character and as a fight. Helps that his stupid stand was at least super chill, that was amusing.

I can't wait for the anime so we can hear DIO's beautiful voice again. It's weird how this part focuses on DIO so much, when we had the reveal that MC is his son in Part 5, and he was barely mentioned there. It's a good thing, of course. Glad to have him back, and happy that we got to see his chill side.

I've heard that this part is divisive, and I get that (especially with that ending), but I'm guessing it's all because it's an anthology series, where every entry just doesn't grab some people. If it's actually a majority's least favorite, I really don't get why. I think it's the part I've enjoyed the most so far!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

*taps the stone ocean discourse sign*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

is there a stoned ocean twitter account

edit: apparently there is

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vookatos posted:

I've heard that this part is divisive, and I get that (especially with that ending), but I'm guessing it's all because it's an anthology series, where every entry just doesn't grab some people. If it's actually a majority's least favorite, I really don't get why. I think it's the part I've enjoyed the most so far!

This person gets it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
binge-read stone ocean and the designs are fuckin phenomenal. jolyne is my favorite designed jojo so far, her look was so badass.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doz1QJ7LwjA

for ED

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Vookatos posted:

Without looking much at this thread because spoilers, I just want to leave my opinion on Stone Ocean. Holy gently caress was it good! Jolyne was badass and the supporting cast was all great!

Some of the stuff feels like Araki learned his mistakes from Part 5. Stands mostly make sense, and solutions rarely feel like bullshit. We get way more interactions between characters. Pucci's ability is basically King Crimson, too. I mean, sure, he "fast forwards" time, but it's basically making him so fast that he can teleport behind you without you realising, which is essentially the same.

It's definitely the darkest part so far. Big flashback was loving terrifying in places, but there are also some great comedy moments. Annasui being REALLY PISSED that there wasn't an image of Mickey is great, but I also really enjoyed some small interactions, like "He's an idiot who drinks his own piss". Actually that dude was probably my least favorite both as a character and as a fight. Helps that his stupid stand was at least super chill, that was amusing.

I can't wait for the anime so we can hear DIO's beautiful voice again. It's weird how this part focuses on DIO so much, when we had the reveal that MC is his son in Part 5, and he was barely mentioned there. It's a good thing, of course. Glad to have him back, and happy that we got to see his chill side.

Finally someone with taste.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

SBR IS SO GOOD

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah. the let's read thread was pretty neat.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think the most bizarre thing about JoJo is that I'm pretty sure there are no Bowie references so far (Part 6). I know people like to joke about Kira being similar, but Araki's references are rarely that subtle. Homages are pretty drat noticable, from music titles to horror movie inspirations, so I'd feel like if Kira was meant to be Bowie, he'd have different pupils and would do "Heroes" pose constantly.
Unless I'm missing something or it's coming up, it's weird that the most JoJo man isn't actually in JoJo.

Pewdiepie posted:

Finally someone with taste.
thank you pewdiepie

Edit: not to derail everything into Part 6 ending discussion, but thinking about it now, I'm pretty sure that ending is quite fitting. Pucci was a dumbass who wanted everyone to know what happens, and blame every mistake on Fate. A bit of an abrupt ending (still more satisfying than Part 5's) is offputting, but maybe that new world is why we don't know what will happen to those people. No one determined their fate, not even the author, and that's pretty sweet in its own right.
Or maybe I'm reading way too much into this, I dunno.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 22, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kira is blatantly just David Bowie in a cool necktie, and there is a Bowie Stand in Part 7.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vookatos posted:

A bit of an abrupt ending (still more satisfying than Part 5's) is offputting, but maybe that new world is why we don't know what will happen to those people. No one determined their fate, not even the author, and that's pretty sweet in its own right.
Or maybe I'm reading way too much into this, I dunno.

That's my take as well.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Ah poo poo I completely forgot about steel ball read

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Kira is blatantly just David Bowie in a cool necktie, and there is a Bowie Stand in Part 7.

Good. It’d be strange if Araki didn’t like Bowie, considering how many styles he went through in his music career.
As for Kira, I’m pretty faceblind, so maybe there are some little things I didn’t notice that make him such an obvious reference. Also about Kira: Twin Peaks homage with hair turning white was fantastic, and a good choice, too. He looked so much better like that!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i finished SBR last night after binging it over the course of like 6 days. thats the best jojo arc i think. funny valentine (which is perhaps the most absurd name ever) is such a good villain. i was actively cheering for him in his confrontation with johnny toward the end. the p3 dio homage didn't feel awkward, either

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think what would really improve Part 5 is Diavolo loving dying back at Colisseum. Just gently caress off from the story. Let Doppio inherit his power, realize what's going on (as far as boss = dead) and go apeshit with King Crimson. Diavolo is interesting to think about, but he's never fun to see or hear. His second personality is better, his stand is better. His final arc sucks poo poo and feels like the least JoJo thing in JoJo. Yes, he is a coward and he hides, that's his thing. It makes sense. It's just not fun to have "final battle" where everyone's slowly walking. Not only that, when Diavolo actually gets out, he loving sucks. He punches his soul, which is not explained at all, and basically dies in the dumbest way.
Some people explained to me how The Sun Soul works, and sure, but it's not clever, funny, or creative. JoJo usually used one of those three things to do weird poo poo. Even when something didn't make sense, it was usually hilarious or cool-looking. Jotaro having The World powers? Sure, weird, but they explain it. Jotaro sucking in Enya's stand? Who gives a gently caress it's hilarious. Punching a soul because it's kind of like a lightbulb because Requiem is kind of a shadow and appears in different places? Well, maybe it would've worked better if we saw characters' thought process, but it just sucks.
Neither Giorno nor Diavolo are really that creative or funny. It's just "I win because bug or snake"
Overall the part rules though.

And NOW onto Part 7. People say it's alright, I hear.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Vookatos posted:

I think what would really improve Part 5 is Diavolo loving dying back at Colisseum. Just gently caress off from the story. Let Doppio inherit his power, realize what's going on (as far as boss = dead) and go apeshit with King Crimson. Diavolo is interesting to think about, but he's never fun to see or hear. His second personality is better, his stand is better. His final arc sucks poo poo and feels like the least JoJo thing in JoJo. Yes, he is a coward and he hides, that's his thing. It makes sense. It's just not fun to have "final battle" where everyone's slowly walking. Not only that, when Diavolo actually gets out, he loving sucks. He punches his soul, which is not explained at all, and basically dies in the dumbest way.
Some people explained to me how The Sun Soul works, and sure, but it's not clever, funny, or creative. JoJo usually used one of those three things to do weird poo poo. Even when something didn't make sense, it was usually hilarious or cool-looking. Jotaro having The World powers? Sure, weird, but they explain it. Jotaro sucking in Enya's stand? Who gives a gently caress it's hilarious. Punching a soul because it's kind of like a lightbulb because Requiem is kind of a shadow and appears in different places? Well, maybe it would've worked better if we saw characters' thought process, but it just sucks.
Neither Giorno nor Diavolo are really that creative or funny. It's just "I win because bug or snake"
Overall the part rules though.

And NOW onto Part 7. People say it's alright, I hear.

ye im a bit lukewarm on the end of part 5 as well for similar reasons, which is weird because parts 1-4 and 6-7 tend to be better toward the end, and almost universally the last fight is the most interesting in my opinion (or last set of fights). it didn't help that while i got my head around KC, GER is basically outrageous nonsense, and no matter what i read about it, it doesn't add up. the fandom seems in consensus that its ability is to "reset anything to 0" which makes quite literally no sense in my head

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

tbp posted:

ye im a bit lukewarm on the end of part 5 as well for similar reasons, which is weird because parts 1-4 and 6-7 tend to be better toward the end, and almost universally the last fight is the most interesting in my opinion (or last set of fights). it didn't help that while i got my head around KC, GER is basically outrageous nonsense, and no matter what i read about it, it doesn't add up. the fandom seems in consensus that its ability is to "reset anything to 0" which makes quite literally no sense in my head

KC lets the user pick and choose which causes (and therefore effects) will affect them. Diavolo uses this in an attempt to control fate, to be unknowable, and avoid any consequences for any actions he's taken

GER is the opposite, forcing the recipient's hand on receiving causes, and therefore the consequences that come from them.. And also makes this a sort of purgatory? Diavolo' s entire goal was to live forever and be powerful, and he did some evil poo poo to achieve that, and GER punishes that by making him weak and forever dying

Admittedly it's p sloppy and I don't care for it, it's just another random power for Gold Experience to have, and the ironic comeuppance for a villain that isn't great functionally being "no, the opposite happens" isn't much of anything

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GER's power is "resolve the plot".

That's it.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
is it really random when the whole plot has been the road to obtaining a mcguffin that gives the main character the ability the metaphorical opposite of the villain's "unbeatable" power

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

GER is just the Hand of God saying "lol nope, yer fate sucks, bro. Changing it." The ironic punishment it hands down to Diavolo is fuckin' perfect imo, and I dpn't mind how ludicrous it is when the characters had to break the whole world around for even one of them to have a shot at getting it.

Requiem haters are just never gonna get that there was never gonna be a "real" final battle (whatever that means) against KC cuz KC is established from the beginning as unbattleable. JoJo says a lot of its villains are invincible, sure, but it's just so funny how we have all this Araki Forgot talk about so many other things, yet what makes nerds pressed the most to this day is Araki sticking to his guns on "No, you can't fight him. Either outbs his bs, or run away." Ideas like "well, what if fsr the boss was afraid of his own stand" or "what if they fought Doppio" aregoofy bc they wouldn't add anything to the main themes at work, hell, they'd take away everything. Pt 5 only works period cuz Diavolo is(or thinks he is) a literal master of his own fate to the point his dominion over life in Italy is practically divine or unholy in nature, and he only loses cuz a bunch of street rats noone cares about have to literally break the material and immaterial laws of the world around them, to the extent of replacing the human race w something else if that's what it takes, for even one last little shot at rebelling against a fate where evil monsters like Diavolo ruling over all w fear and murder is just the way the world works.

And they succeed. I don't care what the haters say, that's a goddamn beautiful note for this kind of story to end on and I wouldn't change a thing about the ending.

Well, maybe give Trish a lil more to do in the lead-up. Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
now Sheer Heart Attack, there's an ability that has no weakness