Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TwoQuestions posted:

I might get another Soul if this turned out to be a freak occurrence. And it comes in green, which few cars do.

what kind of problem occurred? i am really curious, new-ish cars don't grenade that often these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what kind of problem occurred? i am really curious, new-ish cars don't grenade that often these days.

No idea.

I was driving on the highway omw home, and it suddenly felt like I slammed on the brakes. After that, it had a bit less power out of the engine and an irregular rattle.

The first place I took it to flatly refused to touch it, the second place said "it needs a new motor".

I'll post when I know more.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sounds like it threw a rod, which is almost unheard of for stock engines that are properly maintained. poo poo happens though I guess.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Turns out I was supposed to put in synthetic oil the whole time, and I was having people put in conventional.

I knew it'd be something really dumb on my part like this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah... that'll do it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TwoQuestions posted:

Turns out I was supposed to put in synthetic oil the whole time, and I was having people put in conventional.

I knew it'd be something really dumb on my part like this.

FYI, when you don't maintain your vehicles to the minimum standards this is the kind of thing that is likely to happen. You say you aren't a "car person", but you need to be enough of one to make sure the thing you are driving is properly maintained or this will repeat itself no matter what you buy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Honestly, a junkyard motor is going to be a lot cheaper than a new car.
I'm seeing Kia 1.6/2.0s selling for like less than a grand. Something in good condition with a bit of a warranty will const more, but I bet installed you're looking around 3 grand.

Mazda 2 come in green. They do need synthetic though, you monster.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
On the other hand, even Auto Zone recommends conventional for my car, so I don't know if I'm being taken for a ride or what.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TwoQuestions posted:

On the other hand, even Auto Zone recommends conventional for my car, so I don't know if I'm being taken for a ride or what.

This is why you get an Owner's Manual when you buy the car. It will tell you what you need for all fluids and maintenance intervals.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
How far were you going on dino oil?
I mean 3k shouldn't kill it assuming the right viscosity.
10k per change would be madness though

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Even if he is running the wrong spec oil a major failure at only 80k miles is pretty bad. It could also be the engine just failed for a multitude of reasons (even lovely build quality) but the technician is telling you that you aren't warrantied covered because you used dino oil.

(This is of course assuming you were getting regular oil changes, I've know "non-car" people at my work that would regularly go 10-20k between oil changes on the regular. Sometimes a year overdue... )

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 30, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

vincentpricesboner posted:

Even if he is running the wrong spec oil a major failure at only 80k miles is pretty bad. It could also be the engine just failed for a multitude of reasons (even lovely build quality) but the technician is telling you that you aren't warrantied covered because you used dino oil.

(This is of course assuming you were getting regular oil changes, I've know "non-car" people at my work that would regularly go 10-20k between oil changes on the regular. Sometimes a year overdue... )

There are cars with publish 10-15k specs. This is only achievable with synthetic oil. Modern dino might be good for 5k. Subaru had a bunch of EJ25 turbo issues when they recommended 7.5k on dino in the early 00s and revised to 3.5k (though dino is basically always a bad idea on small turbo engines).

edit: Just looked at the owners manual for a 2016 soul. Well, the Canadian version. 12000km interval=7500mi. (or ever year if you do fewer miles)
Recommend API SM oil, but will use SL. 5-20 or 5-30 for all temps. 10-30 ok for warmer climates.
There is no syn requirement. I mean, I'd highly recommend it for 7500mi, but kia doesn't seem to care.
https://www.kia.ca/content/ownership/ownersmanual/16soul-en.pdf

So here's my question, was there any oil on the dipstick? This sounds more like a running out of oil issue, unless you were pushing the changes further.

edit2: Don't kia's come with a 10year/100kmi powertrain warranty?

nm fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 30, 2019

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I've owned it for 7 years, but it has 106k miles on it. I just got the oil changed too, and everything was running fine, so I doubt it was that. I've been changing the oil every 5-6k miles (not the best I know).

Now to debate an engine replacement, or to get some trade-in value for parts, I'm not sure of the most economically rational way forward here. Lots of unknowns.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Does your soul have a 1.6 engine?
There's a recall out for 2012-2016 souls.
" Documents show that high exhaust-gas temperatures can damage the catalytic converters, which control pollution. That can cause abnormal combustion and damage pistons and connecting rods. A failed connecting rod can pierce the engine block and create oil leaks that can cause fires."
https://www.cars.com/articles/2012-2016-kia-soul-recall-alert-1420757479600/

If you had a related issue, they will likely replace the motor free.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

nm posted:

Does your soul have a 1.6 engine?
There's a recall out for 2012-2016 souls.
" Documents show that high exhaust-gas temperatures can damage the catalytic converters, which control pollution. That can cause abnormal combustion and damage pistons and connecting rods. A failed connecting rod can pierce the engine block and create oil leaks that can cause fires."
https://www.cars.com/articles/2012-2016-kia-soul-recall-alert-1420757479600/

If you had a related issue, they will likely replace the motor free.

2.0L, though I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow regardless.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah if you are being accurate about changing your oil every 6k miles you got a lemon. I would be furious if I had a engine KO after 100k miles. Thats really, really bad for a modern car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

If you can bring the receipts, you might be able to get a goodwill repair, or at least some discount off the price.
Your changes are even greater if the dealer did the maintence.

FWIW, and people will get made at me for this, but this is the exact situation where you wish you'd done your service at the dealer. Then they can never question how the car was maintained, etc. Pariticularly, I think DIY on an in warranty car is a bad idea. Yeah, you can yell m-m act all you want, and maybe you'll get a few bucks out fo them 5 years and thousands of dollars later.
That said, if they won't give you any help, get your quote at an indy mechanic as the dealer will have you over the barrel on an engine replacement.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I dealer service my vehicles. The “works” package at the Ford dealer is the same price or cheaper than getting an oil change and tire rotation anywhere else, and they keep records for me. If I ever had a warranty issue they’d have the service info right there.

I’ll buy tires wherever is cheapest, but I get everything else done at the dealer now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FYI, the NHTSA has an investigation into 2011-2015 Souls with the 2.0 engine with very similar issues listed.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've said this before but we had a dozen or so Kia Souls at a prev job back in 2010-2012 or so and they were some of the shittiest cars I've ever driven. Its the only automatic car I've seen that would sometimes STALL when going from drive -> reverse to backup into a parking spot. That is insane.

Also about 50% of the cars had their trannies blow up before 100k KM. Which is also insanely bad. Many had them get destroyed before 60k KM.

Supposedly Kia figured out some of their major mechanical issues but I still wouldnt buy a new one today.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

vincentpricesboner posted:

I've said this before but we had a dozen or so Kia Souls at a prev job back in 2010-2012 or so and they were some of the shittiest cars I've ever driven. Its the only automatic car I've seen that would sometimes STALL when going from drive -> reverse to backup into a parking spot. That is insane.

Also about 50% of the cars had their trannies blow up before 100k KM. Which is also insanely bad. Many had them get destroyed before 60k KM.

Supposedly Kia figured out some of their major mechanical issues but I still wouldnt buy a new one today.

Good to know. I've heard nothing but good things previous.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IOwnCalculus posted:

Get a Kia Stinger?

I want one of those so bad, love the design.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Due to the unavailability of CTS wagons with decent mileage and the options I want, I'm expanding the list a bit. Still looking to stay under $20k, $15k if possible, and under 100k miles. Could go over if the car has good maintenance records and doesn't come from the rust belt (which all of these seem to).

Current ideas, all wagon models:

BMW E60
BMW F10
BMW F31
BMW E90
Audi A4
Cadillac CTS
Saab 9-3

A manual trans would be the ideal find, but they're commanding quite the premium on these models and I'm not buying a CTS-V. I love the 9-3 wagon, Saabs have always fascinated me, but that parts situation is getting dire. The A4 seems like the best option. What do y'all think? I've still got a low miles CTS that I'm trying to get, but the dealership is waiting on parts for it and claiming the UAW strike is holding things back. I can't wait much longer to buy, my other cars aren't running well enough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there is nothing more expensive than a cheap modern BMW (or Audi for that matter - all the cars on your list are maintenance pigs other than arguably the CTS)

you're kind of veering in to champagne tastes on a beer budget imo

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I was looking at s bunch of those BMW wagons recently myself since I'm also on a wagon hunt and the other thing to consider, for me at least, was that they were like almost twice as much to insure VS the Buick/Volvo stuff I was also looking at.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You are really shooting yourself in the foot by only going with wagons. Get a hatchback or suv or regular car. You don't have any good choices for wagons unless you can germany-wrench cars yourself.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I've had like twenty cars and can do most maintenance outside of rebuilding a motor, but I've got limited experience with German cars and have had only one modern car. Most of my stuff has been older domestics with some Volvos mixed in. The points on BMWs being a bear to maintain are well taken.

And I totally forgot to include Volvo, the V70/XC70 is great.

As far as hatchbacks go, they're typically too small for what I have to move around. I'm specifically looking for a wagon to keep the "car" driving experience, while having more space. Even with modern SUVs being built on car platforms, they aren't as comfortable.

As far as I can tell, a CTS is the ideal vehicle for what I'm looking for. I'm just trying to figure out if the German options are worth considering, which doesn't sound like they are unless I'm looking to put more down on a used one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sir Tonk posted:

Even with modern SUVs being built on car platforms, they aren't as comfortable.

Just in case, but...

Have you actually tried out any good selection of modern SUVs? There's a wide range of comfort levels available depending on the model you choose.

Many people find them more comfortable than a car.

I'm not familiar enough with the market in your price range and location to really make any recommendations.

Of course, if you've tried them out than ignore this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The only SUV I'm considering is the Flex, which is impossible to find with low miles and not as a fleet/rental vehicle. The Lincoln version is hideous, unfortunately, cause it's nice inside.

Probably gonna narrow down to a V70/XC70 or CTS wagon.

edit

so this would be a bad idea, it sounds like: https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WAUKF78E08A066938/2008-audi-a4/

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 30, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's a perfectly fine idea as long as you're willing to sink substantial amounts of money in to it every year

the A4 isn't particularly big, either

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Sir Tonk posted:

The only SUV I'm considering is the Flex, which is impossible to find with low miles and not as a fleet/rental vehicle. The Lincoln version is hideous, unfortunately, cause it's nice inside.

Probably gonna narrow down to a V70/XC70 or CTS wagon.

edit

so this would be a bad idea, it sounds like: https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WAUKF78E08A066938/2008-audi-a4/

Why on earth are you looking at these with your budget when the Acura TSX wagon exists?

Here's some on Autotrader.

If you're looking at A4s it seems to me this is less a utility purchase and more of a prestige purchase.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

There's also the VW Golf Sportwagen which is on my short list, can be had used for pretty cheap and fairly new, has a nice interior, is slow as poo poo and leaks like hell if you get one with a sun roof so don't do that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheWevel posted:

Why on earth are you looking at these with your budget when the Acura TSX wagon exists?

Here's some on Autotrader.

If you're looking at A4s it seems to me this is less a utility purchase and more of a prestige purchase.

yep, I'm specifically looking for a cheap semi-luxury car. And I'm not currently considering the Japanese brands, although the TSX is probably the first choice if I end up there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sir Tonk posted:

yep, I'm specifically looking for a cheap semi-luxury car. And I'm not currently considering the Japanese brands, although the TSX is probably the first choice if I end up there.

If it's a prestige purchase...I don't think anyone is actually going to be fooled by a sub-$20k used audi/bmw/whatever.

And, I wouldn't be surprised if, a new mazda at around $20k is actually going to be more luxurious if you're more into the luxury and less into the prestige.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah... You're in Hoovie Hooptie territory with your budget and German cars. Not to mention that used wagons are particularly expensive because of low supply and enthusiast demand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

If it's a prestige purchase...I don't think anyone is actually going to be fooled by a sub-$20k used audi/bmw/whatever.

Plenty of people are fooled by that. Just no one you care to impress.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TwoQuestions posted:

Good to know. I've heard nothing but good things previous.

I'm selling my mom's 2012 2.0. It's been a very reliable, good car. It's a stick, which helps.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

There's also the VW Golf Sportwagen which is on my short list, can be had used for pretty cheap and fairly new, has a nice interior, is slow as poo poo and leaks like hell if you get one with a sun roof so don't do that.

i own the alltrack one, same concept

good:
handles nicely
good visibility
clever storage concepts
decent interior
carplay
not real big
can get a stick in TTYOOL 2019

bad:
slow
not real big - it's a good size for me but four adults for an extended time period is not great
VW reliability, probably
sunroof is a great way to get water on the inside of the car

you can definitely do better with a volvo wagon than a bmw wagon in terms of cost to enter and total cost of ownership

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

nm posted:

There are cars with publish 10-15k specs. This is only achievable with synthetic oil. Modern dino might be good for 5k. Subaru had a bunch of EJ25 turbo issues when they recommended 7.5k on dino in the early 00s and revised to 3.5k (though dino is basically always a bad idea on small turbo engines).

edit: Just looked at the owners manual for a 2016 soul. Well, the Canadian version. 12000km interval=7500mi. (or ever year if you do fewer miles)
Recommend API SM oil, but will use SL. 5-20 or 5-30 for all temps. 10-30 ok for warmer climates.
There is no syn requirement. I mean, I'd highly recommend it for 7500mi, but kia doesn't seem to care.
https://www.kia.ca/content/ownership/ownersmanual/16soul-en.pdf

My 2014 Accord Hybrid owners manual says Dino oil is fine and to follow the maintenance messages on the in car display which is ~10,000 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

My 2014 Accord Hybrid owners manual says Dino oil is fine and to follow the maintenance messages on the in car display which is ~10,000 miles.

Hybrids don't "count" the same for oil change mileage specs as the ICE doesn't really have the same usage profile.