Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I never noticed before how deliberately dorky-looking a lot of his guests are in that scene. And it cracked me up how quickly that impossibly attractive blonde woman changes her mind about staying at the party once Lewis suggests dancing.

Casey Kasem's wife, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ghostbusters is such a rewarding film to rewatch.

Funniest imo is where the fire on the poor maid. She delivers "What the hell are you doing?!" perfectly, and then they just awkwardly apologize to her. Bonus gag of her trying to spray out one of the toilerpaper fires.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Sorry, we thought you were someone else.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The moment that I still laugh at is when they enter the Sedgewick, and the concierge (Michael Ensign) comes up behind them and startled Peter. His "JEEESH!" reaction is the best.

Another good one is when Egon asks the concierge if he ever reported it to anyone, and he says 'Heavens, no!', and Peter backs him up with "No, are you kidding?', there's a hard eyeroll from Egon.

Also, a weird reaction, but I get that it's for comedy... When Janine tells him that she's usually very psychic and has a very bad feeling about Tully, that she's afraid Egon's going to die, he rolls his eyes when they hug.

I say 'weird' because in that universe, psychics are likely actually real. Then again, Egon's probably rolling his eyes because, ugh, feelings.

Last one, at the end, during the credits; I never used to hear this, but Louis, after asking if anyone wants to interview him, tells the paramedics that he "wants to ride in the car, with them!" as he points to the guys.

Edit: sort of a separate topic, but you know that part when Peter jumps over his mini office door when Dana shows up? Apparently, he almost tripped over it, because of his foot accidentally hitting it, which you can see in the final cut.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 24, 2019

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: sort of a separate topic, but you know that part when Peter jumps over his mini office door when Dana shows up? Apparently, he almost tripped over it, because of his foot accidentally hitting it, which you can see in the final cut.

I remember learning about this in a commentary track or something(?) and now it stresses me out every time I watch the movie, even though I obviously know he makes it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FlashFearless posted:

I remember learning about this in a commentary track or something(?) and now it stresses me out every time I watch the movie, even though I obviously know he makes it.

I got bad news for you about Road Warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CoLFf6BtlI

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Also, a weird reaction, but I get that it's for comedy... When Janine tells him that she's usually very psychic and has a very bad feeling about Tully, that she's afraid Egon's going to die, he rolls his eyes when they hug.

I say 'weird' because in that universe, psychics are likely actually real. Then again, Egon's probably rolling his eyes because, ugh, feelings.

I think it was more rolling his eyes because even though ESP probably exists, she clearly doesn't have it.

It would be like a serious SETI scientist having to listen to somebody's abduction/anal probe story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember there's a specific bit where the Ghostbusters vet Dana for any mental issues before investigating, probably exactly because they've gotten a ton of would-be clients who are just crazy and delusional. (That's after their montage where they've been flat out busting ghosts)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember there's a specific bit where the Ghostbusters vet Dana for any mental issues before investigating, probably exactly because they've gotten a ton of would-be clients who are just crazy and delusional. (That's after their montage where they've been flat out busting ghosts)

The vetting scene was before the montage, though. She was their first client, which plays into the joke of "we have standard procedures that we normally follow in a case like this", and Peter trying to ease her mind, telling her that all they get is craziness, day in, day day out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ah, point there. Still, not like he's probably wrong.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always enjoyed the callback to Dana getting her head scanned, when they do Louis, and it's a terror dog. It's not subtle or anything, but definitely neat.

Edit: actually, when you see how silly 'Vinz Clortho' acts at times, it's odd to think that he's sort of already a terror dog. I can't imagine the dog being that goofy, putting pizza on his face, or drinking a coffee pot full of (what I assume is) hot water.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 24, 2019

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I don't know, dogs are pretty goofy

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My dog rolls in his food and stuff sometimes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yes, dogs do that and are very silly.

Terror dogs seem quite the opposite.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Yes, dogs do that and are very silly.

Terror dogs seem quite the opposite.

Nah they are just dogs for some moldy old god

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It feels fitting to the themes of Ghostbusters that the supernatural is very silly and no less terrifying for it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Nah they are just dogs for some moldy old god

And if you leave them unchecked, they'll start tearing up the city!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Yes, have some.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I always enjoyed the callback to Dana getting her head scanned, when they do Louis, and it's a terror dog. It's not subtle or anything, but definitely neat.

Also, Harold Ramis's reaction to the screen showing a terror dog. Nothing over the top but very worrisome.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kevyn posted:

Yes, have some.
I use this line whenever anybody offers me something I want, and nobody ever gets it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We got one!

https://twitter.com/sourceforfunny/status/1188981797289385984

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WiQoXinukU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, Harold Ramis's reaction to the screen showing a terror dog. Nothing over the top but very worrisome.

so much humor in Ghostbusters comes from the banality of weird poo poo. It's great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tart Kitty posted:

so much humor in Ghostbusters comes from the banality of weird poo poo. It's great.

I mean, that seems central to the premise, down to the name being a catchy business title for paranormal investigators turned pest exterminators.

It works because the weird poo poo is no less weird and dangerous for the banal way the characters come to treat it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Drink-Mix Man posted:

-Some supernatural force must be drawing Dana and Lewis together, hence him always serendipitously opening his door at exactly the same time she's passing in the hall.

Doesn't the script/novelisation state outright that Lewis is listening at his apartment door for Dana to arrive/leave so he can run into her?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

~Coxy posted:

Doesn't the script/novelisation state outright that Lewis is listening at his apartment door for Dana to arrive/leave so he can run into her?

Wait am I nuts or is that not in the movie? I can vividly see that scene in my head.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw it last week at a theatrical showing. It's very obvious that Lewis is lonely and spends his time waiting at the door, listening in for Dana to walk by without even needing to show his POV. He pops out when Venkman walks over to her apartment for their date.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw it last week at a theatrical showing. It's very obvious that Lewis is lonely and spends his time waiting at the door, listening in for Dana to walk by without even needing to show his POV. He pops out when Venkman walks over to her apartment for their date.

Any idea if they got Rick Moranis to come out of retirement for this new movie?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tart Kitty posted:

Wait am I nuts or is that not in the movie? I can vividly see that scene in my head.

It's heavily implied that he was listening and waiting. "Oh, Dana, it's just you..." as she tip-toes silently past his door.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tart Kitty posted:

It doesn't show him listening. It shows Dana tip-toeing past his door and him busting out to greet her with, "Oh, Dana! It's you!"

I suppose that implies he's either listening or looking out the peephole for her to arrive.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Louis explaining how he risked his life to try and turn Dana's TV off is an underrated moment.

"Well yeah, you know what I did? I climbed on the ledge and tried to disconnect the cable, but I couldn't get in, so you know what I did? I turned my TV up real loud too so everyone would think all our TVs had something wrong with them."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

Louis explaining how he risked his life to try and turn Dana's TV off is an underrated moment.

"Well yeah, you know what I did? I climbed on the ledge and tried to disconnect the cable, but I couldn't get in, so you know what I did? I turned my TV up real loud too so everyone would think all our TVs had something wrong with them."

It's an amazingly accurate portrayal of the type of guy who will go to the ends of the Earth to win over a girl but the ONE thing they can never ever do is actually ask her out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"Alright, well, I'll see ya later, ok? I'll give you a call!

... I'm gonna have a shower!"

It's also wonderful that Vinz Clortho, the KEYmaster, possesses the body of someone who is notorious for locking himself out of his own apartment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

It's also wonderful that Vinz Clortho, the KEYmaster, possesses the body of someone who is notorious for locking himself out of his own apartment.

Yea that's one that had to be pointed out to me. I could've watched the movie a thousand times and never put that together on my own.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It is also a sex joke

The key is his penis

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Timby posted:

It is also a sex joke

The key is his penis

For the longest time I thought Oscar was the result of the keymaster and the gatekeeper unlocking the gate, but apparently that's not the case.

I feel like it would make more sense, since if he was the result of a supernatural conception, he might be more attractive to Vigo somehow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

For the longest time I thought Oscar was the result of the keymaster and the gatekeeper unlocking the gate, but apparently that's not the case.

I feel like it would make more sense, since if he was the result of a supernatural conception, he might be more attractive to Vigo somehow.

The first things you see in GB2 are the words "5 Years Later".

I agree that it would make more sense, but obviously the timing doesn't work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any idea if they got Rick Moranis to come out of retirement for this new movie?

:shrug:

He did cameo on The Goldbergs as Dark Helmet a couple years ago.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Beachcomber posted:

I thought the same thing growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

:shrug:

He did cameo on The Goldbergs as Dark Helmet a couple years ago.

Didn't they also have Robert Englund cameo as Freddie Kruger last year?