Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

When I was a kid, my dad used a meter-long tube trap that worked quite well… It's going to be a great/horrible day today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sirotan posted:

I haven't put the poly down yet but my plan was to use a pad sander on a pole and just lightly hand sand with 220grit between coats. I'm trying some hydrogen peroxide on my dark stain, just did one coat tonight and will check in it tomorrow.

So I drove over to my house tonight to start some hand sanding and what do I find but a goddamn water stain in the middle of my living room on my freshly sanded floors. Day 12 of home ownership: I discovered a roof leak. :suicide:

:( That sucks. But if you're just discovering it now, it's probably not a terrible leak so you should hopefully be able to have it fixed for not-TOO-much.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

High powered air pellet rifle and a lot of patience and stillness + bait.

Adopt a large cat like a maine coon.

Or just like buy that trap I guess.

Changing my answer to this rat trap:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

totalnewbie posted:

:( That sucks. But if you're just discovering it now, it's probably not a terrible leak so you should hopefully be able to have it fixed for not-TOO-much.

Thankfully, It cost me $0. Roof has a 10 year free-service warranty (and 30 years on the shingles) and was installed in 2015. A guy from the installation company was out within 3 hours of my call and found the issue almost immediately. It was absolutely pouring and he didn't have my specific kind of shingles with him, so he put in some temporary fixes and will be back with a permanent solution when the weather is better. He also found some poo poo that needs to be repaired on my chimney cap which my inspector missed, as we found that was leaking inside the house too. :/ Overall, one of the best contractor experiences I think I've had ever.

I spent the evening sanding out the water stain in the living room. It looks a lot better and I'm feeling way less stressed now. I think this leak has been going on for a while, guess I'm glad I found it now before I had all my poo poo moved into the house.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe a live trap, then tape it to my exhaust pipe to kill without gore…

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

You can wire a 3-way compatible dimmer into a 3-way circuit, but the remote switch can't also be a dimmer, just a regular on/off 3-way compatible switch.

Okay so basically I only need one 3-way dimmer, then? Sounds like I can’t get away with buying a 1-way dimmer.

Motronic posted:

Not sure what the internet has to do with a smart home. My home automation does NOT touch the internet, on purpose. It is largely Honeywell z-wave switches and Home Assistant.

I guess it’s just what I always associated with “smart” homes—connectivity to power lights on/off/dim remotely through an app. But anything that runs off a router only or Bluetooth counts I guess, and would be preferable for me anyway. I want to be able to control with my phone (my ATT DigitalLife system works over LTE including my A/C and two lights) and that’s all I really need. Eventually I’d like to make the whole thing remote but for now it’s two exterior lights and my Philips hue bulbs.

Motronic posted:

Switches don't come in "gangs". You just buy 4 of them and put them in a 4-gang box. This might be tough with dimmers depending on how much wattage you need them to run just due to size/packaging constraints.

The size constraints were what worried me—some of them look like they come as a full plate assembly and wouldn’t fit directly because it’s a 4-gang plate, so any smart switch that is just a switch that fits into one of the gangs would be preferable. It’s just hard to tell from looking at amazon’s product photos alone.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sirotan posted:

Thankfully, It cost me $0. Roof has a 10 year free-service warranty (and 30 years on the shingles) and was installed in 2015. A guy from the installation company was out within 3 hours of my call and found the issue almost immediately. It was absolutely pouring and he didn't have my specific kind of shingles with him, so he put in some temporary fixes and will be back with a permanent solution when the weather is better. He also found some poo poo that needs to be repaired on my chimney cap which my inspector missed, as we found that was leaking inside the house too. :/ Overall, one of the best contractor experiences I think I've had ever.

I spent the evening sanding out the water stain in the living room. It looks a lot better and I'm feeling way less stressed now. I think this leak has been going on for a while, guess I'm glad I found it now before I had all my poo poo moved into the house.

That's about as good an outcome as you can hope for.

I also discovered a leak in my roof after I bought my house. Unfortunately, I have textured plaster ceilings so it really did a number on the ceiling in the kitchen :/ Ended up having the flashing on my whole roof redone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

life is killing me posted:

The size constraints were what worried me—some of them look like they come as a full plate assembly and wouldn’t fit directly because it’s a 4-gang plate, so any smart switch that is just a switch that fits into one of the gangs would be preferable. It’s just hard to tell from looking at amazon’s product photos alone.

Dimmers are almost always wider than 1-gang. They typically have aluminum fins that you can snap off to make them 1-gang wide, but this de-rates the wattage they can handle. You would have to check the cut sheet for the dimmers you want to use to see if they are rated sufficiently for your intended load with the fins removed.

I'm not sure what you mean about a full plate assembly - they may look like that to you but they aren't. You still have to put a cover plate over them. The size constraints I'm talking about are in regards to their width when put into a multiple gang box with other similarly wide devices.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Update: My hardware store didn't have any stabby traps, but I got

a big springy cage
https://www.monotaro.com/p/5965/2933/

and a mole trap
https://www.monotaro.com/g/02687246/

This mole repellent has the best name and box. (But it's just moth balls?)
Mole = Mogura
MOGLESS

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Snap traps work the best. Make sure to handle with gloves so the rats don't catch your scent.

Peanut butter is the best bait.

Also, you need to seal the area the rat is in first, or more will come.

Source: had a big rat problem in my new houses attic

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

There's a rat in my in-law's house. They gassed the kitchen and replaced the ugly old cabinet where we found the nest. But no one can chill until we catch and destroy it.

My mission today is to buy or make a trap :/

Maybe trap it...... with love

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We already caught one, in the big box! Bait was peanut butter and a piece of banana.

Didn't take any of those precautions, though. My in-laws might get a dog to scare away more future rodents.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Grover spotted in the UK.

https://twitter.com/tobydavies/status/1190213025464307716?s=20

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I was expecting to see the normal modern number of sockets that people constantly moan about, but holy poo poo.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was expecting to see the normal modern number of sockets that people constantly moan about, but holy poo poo.

I did the gallery twice and kept spotting new can lights. Check out the ones around the edges of the windows.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I need to repaint the curb numbers for my house. Any tips on cleaning the curb & paint to use?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pressure washer and it'd be cool if u could use glow in the dark or reflective paint for the numbers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

effika posted:

I need to repaint the curb numbers for my house. Any tips on cleaning the curb & paint to use?

Huh...added to the list of things I didn't know was a "thing" in other places.

I mean, I know some locales have house numbers painted on the curbs, but I just assumed the city repaints them...I guess it's cheaper to foist that upon the hoe owner and then fine them arbitrarily when you say it's too faded.

Reminds me of when I went to college and complained to my friends how terrible and inconsistent the city was at plowing the sidewalks in the winter...one section would be fine, but then for some reason the section in front of the next house wasn't done at all!

I only lived in a place where the town/city plowed them, so moving somewhere where it was expected the property owner do it was weird.

Also dumb...you always have assholes or elderly/disabled who can't/won't shovel, as well as abandoned property and sections in front of open areas that is perpetually not plowed/shoveled.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Did someone improperly store our refrigerator? Before we renovated we hired a company for a full packout. They were the ones who emptied all food from the refrigerator/freezer and wheeled it out of our house, along with most of our other belongings.

It was returned to us totally reeking of mold on the inside, and I can see black mold in the freezer portion.

I'm reading that they were supposed to have propped the doors open during storage to prevent exactly this. I'm not even sure if they emptied the ice maker before letting it all thaw.

Does this company owe us a new fridge, and if so how do we actually increase the likelihood of that happening?

I was about to go to town on the fridge with cleaners (vinegar, soap) but then I remembered that Aspergillus mold is one of the only things I allergy tested positive to. I'm also worried that moldy water could have permanently leaked down into the unseen works behind the fridge walls where I can't clean, or the drinking water hoses.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 1, 2019

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cannot reccomend the clickthrough enough

it's

every room

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Did someone improperly store our refrigerator?

Yes.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Does this company owe us a new fridge, and if so how do we actually increase the likelihood of that happening?

Read your service contract and take lots of pictures of the interior. If it were something else you might have to show some 'before' pictures of it's condition; but mold growing in an improperly drained/dried fridge is common enough that they should give you the benefit of the doubt.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Lutron has Maestro dimmers with companion switches that I don’t think are “smart”. Might be, all I know is , they work and don’t connect to any of my networks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-...HW-WH/203486520

They aren't "smart" per se, but they do let you dim from either location. You only get indicator LEDs on the main dimmer. The remote dimmer signals over the traveler and tells the main dimmer to change the light level.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Nevets posted:

Read your service contract and take lots of pictures of the interior. If it were something else you might have to show some 'before' pictures of it's condition; but mold growing in an improperly drained/dried fridge is common enough that they should give you the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks, doing that now. Come to think of it they likely didn't even remove the ice. Yesterday the icemaker came on, and I heard it and quickly turned it off and dumped the tray. When I dumped it I noticed big chunks of powdery mineral deposits fell out from the bottom like a whole tray had melted there. In the freezer they also left in a loose icepack that had turned black with mold, which I actually picked up in front of them and said "black mold" once I caught a whiff of the inside, but the manager just sheepishly explained how I could clean it. I'll call our main renovation company, who's part of a family business with this company but is hopefully just separated enough from them to not feel called out when I explain and start asking for contract details.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
We're enclosing our patio in to a sunroom, it's going to have one wall of screen windows and 3 formerly exterior walls now interior walls. The exterior walls had vinyl siding that we'd like to replace with something more finished. Anything come to mind? Can you just take down vinyl siding and put drywall up where it used to be?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I am squarely in category of people who believe that "smart homes" are really dumb.

For example - my automatically off light switch in my bathroom likes to turn off while I'm in the bath after 10 minutes. Waving wont do anything because it's too far and behind the corner of the bathtub.

I told my contractor to take the light switch and keep it aside for when we need to pass another inspection for the bottom floor bathroom.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Thanks, doing that now. Come to think of it they likely didn't even remove the ice. Yesterday the icemaker came on, and I heard it and quickly turned it off and dumped the tray. When I dumped it I noticed big chunks of powdery mineral deposits fell out from the bottom like a whole tray had melted there. In the freezer they also left in a loose icepack that had turned black with mold, which I actually picked up in front of them and said "black mold" once I caught a whiff of the inside, but the manager just sheepishly explained how I could clean it. I'll call our main renovation company, who's part of a family business with this company but is hopefully just separated enough from them to not feel called out when I explain and start asking for contract details.

I hope you get some money back to clean/replace the fridge, but there might be a clause in there that says you were responsible for prepping the fridge for transport before they picked it up including making sure it was bone dry so they could close it up for transport. If that were the case, though, somebody should have said something when they pulled out all your frozen food.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Thankfully, It cost me $0. Roof has a 10 year free-service warranty (and 30 years on the shingles) and was installed in 2015. A guy from the installation company was out within 3 hours of my call and found the issue almost immediately. Overall, one of the best contractor experiences I think I've had ever.

Write them a yelp review. Good contractors are so hard to find it is a service to everyone to take that moment of your life and write the review.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Cross-post from my AI thread, but I cleaned up my workbench area after doing some bracket fabrication and getting metal shavings everywhere. Good lighting is everything!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

I am squarely in category of people who believe that "smart homes" are really dumb.

For example - my automatically off light switch in my bathroom likes to turn off while I'm in the bath after 10 minutes. Waving wont do anything because it's too far and behind the corner of the bathtub.

I told my contractor to take the light switch and keep it aside for when we need to pass another inspection for the bottom floor bathroom.

That is not a "smart home" feature. It is a motion detecting switch. That in and of itself in no way would be considered a "smart home" by anyone who knows the definition. No matter how many of those switches may be in your home. Even if the fans have humidity sensors.

What you are describing is just the aftermath of poorly thought out and implemented energy performance codes in your jurisdiction.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
You've missed the entire analogy and point.

Adding automation, and especially software, to *anything*, especially by a company who sucks at software, is inviting things to break.

And I work at a company who produces very lovely software.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

You've missed the entire analogy and point.

Adding automation, and especially software, to *anything*, especially by a company who sucks at software, is inviting things to break.

You analogy sucks, and there is likely no software in your switch. If there is, there are others that would operate the same without it.

I also work at a company that make lovely software.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Nevets posted:

I hope you get some money back to clean/replace the fridge, but there might be a clause in there that says you were responsible for prepping the fridge for transport before they picked it up including making sure it was bone dry so they could close it up for transport. If that were the case, though, somebody should have said something when they pulled out all your frozen food.

Our contact with them is a short 2-page generic form with blanks, it says nothing whatsoever about liability should anything go wrong (or obligations on either of us to make sure it doesn't), and is mostly about signing over rights to them to any money insurance pays out. What happens now?

(They even made a copy/paste mistake on the form when filling in the part about the work's scope, saying that it includes drying out the place. They did not, someone else had already done so for us, but it's like now they can claim our insurance payout for that.)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Also, every Reddit "what should I do for my house build/remodel" thread where the responses recommend running a dozen cat 6 drops to every room, completely ignoring that most people aren't sperglords, and devices are rapidly moving away from wired ethernet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I did a bit of wiring overkill at the last house, ran way too many drops for what was actually needed. When we bought the new one about a year ago, I’ve kept the runs to a reasonable minimum. Still put a rack in the basement with j-hook paths for everything, and I’m about to run fiber/ethernet up to a second floor cabinet for an IDF. I don’t want to mess with computers/media playback/wifi troubleshooting when I get home, so I do it right the first time.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Our contact with them is a short 2-page generic form with blanks, it says nothing whatsoever about liability should anything go wrong (or obligations on either of us to make sure it doesn't), and is mostly about signing over rights to them to any money insurance pays out. What happens now?

(They even made a copy/paste mistake on the form when filling in the part about the work's scope, saying that it includes drying out the place. They did not, someone else had already done so for us, but it's like now they can claim our insurance payout for that.)

Call them and ask what they are going to do to make things right. If you don't like their answer try to at least get your money back. If they have not cashed your check yet put a stop pay on it, or if you paid with a credit card dispute the charge. If they were recommended to you by your renovator talk to him about it, if he gets them alot of referrals he might have more pull. If none of that works stop trying to get even and just get revenge: poo poo all over them on social media (use the pictures of the mold), BBB, local Chamber of Commerce, etc.

Unfortunately unless you had a $3000 spaceship for a fridge it usually isn't worth filing an insurance claim or taking them to court.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Is this the right thread for some advice on how to build a thing? I want to add stairs to the deck of a house I recently bought, and I want to do it on the side so they're shorter and less obnoxious.

So this photo kinda sucks, but basically build a platform off of the deck on this side, run stairs along the side of the house. The landing area seems big enough, it's 6' or so.

The platform would be whatever legal is, which I think is 3'x3'. I have two posts drawn, this is the main question. How few posts can I get away with here? I'm thinking two 4x4s, and the platform would be on joist hangars on the outside of the deck. Obviously the deck rail in that section would be removed.

yep ill look in to local code and whatever, but what seems right here to folks? Note i've built a few decks before, but have never added on to a deck that someone else built.

falz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 2, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

falz posted:

Is this the right thread for some advice on how to build a thing? I want to add stairs to the deck of a house I recently bought, and I want to do it on the side so they're shorter and less obnoxious.

So this photo kinda sucks, but basically build a platform off of the deck on this side, run stairs along the side of the house. The landing area seems big enough, it's 6' or so.

The platform would be whatever legal is, which I think is 3'x3'. I have two posts drawn, this is the main question. How few posts can I get away with here? I'm thinking two 4x4s, and the platform would be on joist hangars on the outside of the deck. Obviously the deck rail in that section would be removed.

yep ill look in to local code and whatever, but what seems right here to folks? Note i've built a few decks before, but have never added on to a deck that someone else built.

If you don't want to guess about a deck you didn't build and try to answer code enforcement's questions about it just add 2 more posts and make the platform+steps capable of free standing rather than relying on only tying them into a deck which has a load safety factor you aren't aware of.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Motronic posted:

If you don't want to guess about a deck you didn't build and try to answer code enforcement's questions about it just add 2 more posts and make the platform+steps capable of free standing rather than relying on only tying them into a deck which has a load safety factor you aren't aware of.

Thanks, I should have also specified that the goal is as few posts as possible as there's a useable patio under it. Hell I pondered one post for a moment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

falz posted:

Thanks, I should have also specified that the goal is as few posts as possible as there's a useable patio under it. Hell I pondered one post for a moment.

It looks like the posts would be off of the patio (slab). Maybe I can't tell from the pic how the posts would be in the way (any more than the set of stairs or the other posts you have there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

It's just aesthetic, less posts less clusterfuck in that area. The two posts on outer edge would be buried below frost line, which is 4' in my neck of the woods.