Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Interesting. You use Cavani as CAM because he's too slow to be a good striker in this fifa?
I'll tinker around with some other players and see where I end up.
The tactics thing you mentionned: you mean set up your team for optimal chemistry and then create a custom tactic with a different position under 'attacking' or 'very attacking' or w/e and then switch to that in-game? Or literally pausing the game as soon as it starts and switch your players around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
No, I use cavani as a striker in whatever proper formation i wind up playing. He's just there as cam for chemistry purposes basically. And yeah, I set up formations and tactics in the custom tactics under the various labels. important to note that the defending/attacking/very attacking etc labels are just there for the default tactics, you can change them to be whatever you want. Like my very defensive lineup is actually pretty attacking, but its one of the formations I use the most so I have it as the most left tactic so I can just mash left on the dpad to get to it asap in case i'm not paying attention or whatever.,

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

new McKennie looks dope

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
So, what would you pick?

Coins are meh. Untradeable players could help with the first owner objective. Tradeable players can maybe get sold for a lot more.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably pack an 78 rated 34 speed winger :downsgun:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I picked the untradeables. I figure there are enough first owner teams I need to fill out and sbcs to do plus I was snoozing and didn't stockpile team fitness cards while they were worthless so it was good to get a bunch of those and contract cards too. I'll switch to tradeables once my teams are more stable and I can just put everything instantly on the transfer market.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I pick tradeables because I'm a madman

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
my only good pull from gold 3/div 4 e1 rewards was militao BUT
i did a few gold upgrades

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Is the La Liga POTM worth getting/replacing Ben Yedder with?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
He's pretty cheap but 3star skills is a big bummer, ben yedder is 4star skills 5star weak foot which is a HUGE plus, so I'd say no

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Welp, went with the untradeable packs and got Pogba. He was doing the worm on his walkout, pretty amazing.

EDIT: looks like I also have Kovacic and Matic, guess that's my PL squad midfield sorted out then. Any other cheap PL players that are decent?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 18, 2019

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Rudiger and Ake are both very decent for cheap

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Joe Gomez is like a top 5 cb in the game but he's 80 rated so he's like 1500 coins.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I've spent way too much time getting 3 wins with a squad with 7 first owned Ligue 1 players. But now I don't want to play with another squad lol. This is what I have. I switch out Herelle for Hernandez. Herelle is just there to get to 7 first owned players (the other 6 are Cavani, Raphina, Savanier, Aguilar, Konan and Mandanda).

https://www.futbin.com/20/squad/9765758

I was thinking about doing the Osimhen SBC to replace Cavani, but the last games Cavani just clicked. Scores a ton of goals and can keep a ball, he's a beast.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
don't forget you can sub on whoever you want for those challenges so even if you have to make do with some trash players for first owner purposes you can replace up to 3 of them with your best players once the game starts

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

hopterque posted:

don't forget you can sub on whoever you want for those challenges so even if you have to make do with some trash players for first owner purposes you can replace up to 3 of them with your best players once the game starts
Yeah I know. I threw in Pogba in that team, and usually I sub in Nainggolan because he's a beast in midfield.
Pogba doesn't seem worth 500k coins by the way, at least to me. Maybe it's because I use him wrong or whatever, but I don't notice much difference between him and Nainggolan who costs like 4k? I did score a sweet free kick with Pogba though, but couldn't figure out how to save it :shrug:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I only need the 'score 3 goals with low driven shots' and 'give 4 assists with a Serie A player' to get the Dzeko scream card.
So I'll probably never get that card :v:

EDIT: lol scored the best goal ever. Hit the ball so bad that it completely took the keeper by mistake and he jumped over it. Then I could just tap it in. I think I saved the clip, I'll try and figure out how to get it of my playstation.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 21, 2019

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

shut up blegum posted:

I only need the 'score 3 goals with low driven shots' and 'give 4 assists with a Serie A player' to get the Dzeko scream card.
So I'll probably never get that card :v:

EDIT: lol scored the best goal ever. Hit the ball so bad that it completely took the keeper by mistake and he jumped over it. Then I could just tap it in. I think I saved the clip, I'll try and figure out how to get it of my playstation.

I have that Dzeko scream card now so I can sell OTW Lukaku when his IF (hopefully) hits. I'm going to try to do as many icon swaps as I can now. I already did the single player ones so I'm well on my way to get a decent swap in when season 2 rolls around.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

How do icon swaps work, exactly? Should I save my tokens if I don’t like these options?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I don't think so, these are the "Icon Swaps 1" icons and I think objectives for this will run through December, I think Icon Swaps 2 and 3 are going to be different objectives and different cards, like these have a 1 at the top and I don't think they will be usable for the future ones

I think if you don't like any of the options that's why they added the "Base Icon Pack" so you can try to get an R9 or Pele or something even though you will just get a 60 pace striker

I'm probably just gonna get Zanetti, he looks like a good endgame fullback, has a green link to Messi, and since crossing is bad I don't think it's ever gonna be that bad to have a short fullback

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh, I just figured that the icon swaps tokens I have now would work with the next load of icons. I was kinda counting on that, since I only have like 4 right now...

EDIT: looks like you're right Stefan, the descriptions say 'swap X Icon trade items I for player Y'.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 22, 2019

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Yeah Icon Swaps 1 runs through seasons 1 and 2 if I understand correctly. Confusing I know. I'm just gonna try and get as many as I can. I'll be happy to get the Keane card for example. Loved that one up to near end game last year. I'd like to try and get Drogba just for the fun of it but don't know if it's worth all the time and effort.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Which Keane card is it? It says Prime in the SBC (it says Base for many of the others), so is that the 90 card or the 88 or the 86?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
It's the 90. Prime is the best version. It goes base, middle, prime.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm playing with a full Eredivisie squad for the icon swap challenge and they suuuuuuuuuuck.
I throw in Nainggolan and Ben Yedder as soon as the game starts, those two are the best players I have used so far.
Nainggolan is everywhere, and Ben Yedder finishes everything, it's insane

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I just have the CSL matches left now, not really looking forward to those. The attack is ok but I'll be using my subs in defense.

Any guesses what the next icon swap challenges will be? Russia, Turkey, Japan, Australia, etc?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ligue 1 maybe? When is the next wave coming out? Right now I have 7 tokens I think, but I don't really care about the cheap icons I can afford now.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Ligue 1 maybe? When is the next wave coming out? Right now I have 7 tokens I think, but I don't really care about the cheap icons I can afford now.

That's one of the online first-owner challenges already. I think we're going to be loving sick of Peter Schmeichel after everyone buys their favourite and then he's all you can get with the leftovers.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

greazeball posted:

That's one of the online first-owner challenges already. I think we're going to be loving sick of Peter Schmeichel after everyone buys their favourite and then he's all you can get with the leftovers.

Oh crap, you're right. Totally forgot I did that one. You're probably right, it's either him or Okocha if you want a cheap icon. Doubt many people are gonna go for Jay Jay.

EDIT: tried some more games with my Eredivisie team. Yeah, this isn't going to work. It's like nobody makes any runs or knows what to do when they have the ball. I'm gonna let this one pass...

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 1, 2019

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

shut up blegum posted:

Oh crap, you're right. Totally forgot I did that one. You're probably right, it's either him or Okocha if you want a cheap icon. Doubt many people are gonna go for Jay Jay.

EDIT: tried some more games with my Eredivisie team. Yeah, this isn't going to work. It's like nobody makes any runs or knows what to do when they have the ball. I'm gonna let this one pass...

Should be relatively simple to do the Eredivisie with Ziyech, Promes, Bergwijn and Malen. You've got plenty of pace to score goals on the AI.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

UnderFreddy posted:

Should be relatively simple to do the Eredivisie with Ziyech, Promes, Bergwijn and Malen. You've got plenty of pace to score goals on the AI.

I thought so too, I have the front three Promes, Malen and Bergwijn, but they never seem to make runs. And when they get into the penalty area, their finishing is horrible.
I'll pass on it for now, maybe I'll try again later.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I managed to do it and I'm terrible so you can get that icon swap too. I was broke as poo poo too, the only one of those I had was malen, I subbed Eriksen, Lacazette and Cuadrado on to get things done.

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
Play on legendary instead of world class, it makes the ai more attacking so scoring is easier. Prioritize opponents with low chem over low overall, they are way easier. Play 442 everything on default. I beat the ai with at least 5 goals every game when I did the challenge with random bronzes/silvers and Malen at ST like this and Im really bad at this game.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Thanks for the tips, I'll give it another go.
In other news, just packed a CL Pique (untradeable unfortunately) and IF Fabinho from a SBC. Probably sell , that's like 200k profit, ka-ching

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 3, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-07-inside-fifas-dodging-discord-scandal
Refers to the thread title

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Lol at this line from the article: "a pseudo-match-fixing scheme that would make mid-2000s Italian football jealous"

:discourse:

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

The Ultimate Team market is unbelievable with all these SBCs being released. If you don't want to attempt to make big money trading it's probably a decent time to take a break.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

UnderFreddy posted:

The Ultimate Team market is unbelievable with all these SBCs being released. If you don't want to attempt to make big money trading it's probably a decent time to take a break.
What do you mean? Prices are crashing so it's best to pick up a few good players now and sell them later?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
https://www.futbin.com/20/player/34514/fatih-ufuk

https://www.futbin.com/20/player/27277/gang-wang

Are these players expensive just for their (admittedly pretty funny) names or do they have some other utility? Just packed UFUK doing BPM and sold for 8k while undercutting the market significantly.

https://www.futbin.com/20/player/37352/junzhe-zhang

Lots of (to me) completely rando Chinese bronze players are selling for significant coint.

shut up blegum posted:

What do you mean? Prices are crashing so it's best to pick up a few good players now and sell them later?

Of course I would also like to know this, please.

In general, I've enjoyed the gameplay of this fifa in the 50 or so games I've played since release. Scoring seems harder after recent patches.

Also, what happened to Icon swaps? I only managed to get 3 tokens, am I out of luck now or will there be more icon swap objectives in season 2?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CSL has an SBC so that could explain the Chinese players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The 49 rated player could be because people like to put low rated players on the bench, to lower their overall team rating? I have no idea what's special about the other ones though.

EDIT: forgot to add that there will be new icon swaps coming. Consensus on r/fifa is that they'll be released after the RTTF promo ends.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 9, 2019