Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Slash posted:

I preferred the difficulty of the technical challenges this year. It is supposed to be a challenge, if they're too easy then you just get several slightly different variations of the thing. At least if it's properly difficult people can completely gently caress it up.

I agree Steph should have won.

Yea like I'm down with it still being hard as it goes through I guess but I found it depressing when they just kept loving up because it's some random thing they've never heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Watching seven worlds and getting angry at birds. Your baby's right there you stupid albatross!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I tried to watch the new Dave Gorman show last night, and I'm not entirely sure why anyone felt that it needs to last an entire hour.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

He went off the telly to spend more time with his family, now that he's back on telly again it should just be more modern life is goodish.

drat I miss that show.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I tried to watch the new Dave Gorman show last night, and I'm not entirely sure why anyone felt that it needs to last an entire hour.

Is it just another vaguely topical panel show with the same batch of Avalon clients as every Dave show?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

njsykora posted:

Is it just another vaguely topical panel show with the same batch of Avalon clients as every Dave show?

I don't think they even bother scoring, but they do have buzzers. It's not even topical so I guess they can repeat it as often as they want, years into the future.

He did spend about 5 minutes on showing how midday reality TVs where people "meet" each other for the first time are set up but... like, who doesn't know that already? They didn't use any particularly funny examples.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

This is the first week that Apprentice's winners seemed to actually deserve it.
Even if it was the worst people.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Lol at none of the candidates knowing the dates of World War 2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Lol at none of the candidates knowing the dates of World War 2.

Be fair, it was just that team - who also didn't know what a mortar board was.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Taear posted:

Be fair, it was just that team - who also didn't know what a mortar board was.

And could apparently only pronounce it in Klingon. Mowah TAHR bowad. A buschelle of apples.

It was so depressingly contrived even by the usual standard of the show that I was tempted to turn it off for the first time this series. Having people run about buying things without using computers was a stretch of credibility in 2004, it's beyond ridiculous now. Like stop telling them off for not knowing what things were, you know perfectly well they were selected for being extra dense people and you wouldn't allow them to go on Google.

The American woman always looks like she has just remembered she left the immersion on at home.

The Michael McIntyre character runs like a cartoon villain. I quite enjoyed that.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Tsietisin posted:

He went off the telly to spend more time with his family, now that he's back on telly again it should just be more modern life is goodish.

drat I miss that show.

His touring shows are very similar to modern life is goodish, and though you only get an "episode" every year and a half to two years, it IS 90 minutes long

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

ookiimarukochan posted:

His touring shows are very similar to modern life is goodish, and though you only get an "episode" every year and a half to two years, it IS 90 minutes long

I go to them whenever he has a new show.

Still can't believe how good the giraffe joke was.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How do you not know what Toad Vodka is, when I asked for it without using the word "vodka" and implied "Toad" was a noun! What fools you are!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Apparently Avalon are pulling Taskmaster off Dave after this series, and the rumour is that it's moving to Channel 4.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

njsykora posted:

Apparently Avalon are pulling Taskmaster off Dave after this series, and the rumour is that it's moving to Channel 4.

I'm honestly surprised that it's lasted this long on Dave without another channel snapping it up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ebola Dog posted:

I'm honestly surprised that it's lasted this long on Dave without another channel snapping it up.

They had it locked down for 5 years I believe, and that contract is up at the end of this year. So they might get to squeeze in a Champion of Champions for Christmas that ends up being the last hurrah for the show on Dave.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In a confusing move, Greg gets replaced by Mary Berry, and Alex is replaced by Mel and Sue sharing a giant suit.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There was a pretty funny show on C4 last night called How Europe Stole my Mum based on Keiran Hodgson's Edinburgh show from a few years ago and starring Harry Enfield and Lisa Tarbuck. Worth checking out. Has some vaguely Mark Steel Lectures/Jay Foreman vibes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I hope if it moves it brings in some better comedians because I've found the few series uninspiring and I've stopped watching it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I think Alex Horne needs a vacation for a few months to recharge his task creating brain.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Channel 4 might give them a bit more of a budget, which could also ruin it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Channel 4 will insist on one of the 'stars' of Made in Chelsea or Gogglebox be on it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They'd probably be better than Baddiel. I did see someone say they should do a crossover with Gogglebox, maybe with some kind of button. I laughed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Frightening visions of the future.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

DurosKlav posted:

I think Alex Horne needs a vacation for a few months to recharge his task creating brain.

Agreed. Definitely feels like the tasks from this series are a lot more basic. I particularly hated the "Look at the objects in this room, go to the caravan, list the objects in the room" task as it was just so unimaginative.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Agreed. Definitely feels like the tasks from this series are a lot more basic. I particularly hated the "Look at the objects in this room, go to the caravan, list the objects in the room" task as it was just so unimaginative.

Don't want to be mean toward Jo Brand, because she is a funny lady and is not bad on the show either, but I suspect they had to be more accommodating for her to be able to compete.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wait, is that a full new series of The Young Offenders I’m seeing up on iplayer? Hot dog, today is a good day.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

I thought it was funny at least.
I think I'd have assumed what Jo did and that I had to enter the caravan on 2 minutes though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Ed's chickpea film was glorious.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
The Apprentice.
Do they not realise that world records for VR rollercoasters don't mean anything? They could have a rollercoaster that goes through 100 loops at the speed of sound, and it would be no extra effort.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fatty posted:

The Apprentice.
Do they not realise that world records for VR rollercoasters don't mean anything? They could have a rollercoaster that goes through 100 loops at the speed of sound, and it would be no extra effort.

Yea but they've got to give at least a vaguely realistic rollercoaster.
I think Thomas's team deserved to win this week, the other one was a bit boring. And I enjoyed him being like a giant kid about it.

While I already knew who was going to be fired I really don't think she deserved it AT ALL and it kinda baffled me. Especially when he brought all four in, what was that about?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It was pretty bullshit.
Thorpe Park has had a couple of backwards coasters in the past, both closed due to lowered interest.
They've also repeatedly chased to be near the records on most loops & launch speeds of rides, and those are stalwarts of the park which appear in all their marketing.

I have no idea what this was judged on. Maybe they just thought someone saying "it'll be the fastest and bestest ever" isn't something you can just decide to do and takes a lot of engineering, whereas a unique theme is the opposite.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Khablam posted:

It was pretty bullshit.
Thorpe Park has had a couple of backwards coasters in the past, both closed due to lowered interest.
They've also repeatedly chased to be near the records on most loops & launch speeds of rides, and those are stalwarts of the park which appear in all their marketing.

I have no idea what this was judged on. Maybe they just thought someone saying "it'll be the fastest and bestest ever" isn't something you can just decide to do and takes a lot of engineering, whereas a unique theme is the opposite.

Alton Towers has the 14 loop rollercoaster and I've been on it, I don't expect 15 being too bad in all honesty.
But Alton Towers has a ride called 13 that goes backwards as well, I don't really see why going backwards is such a mad thing. Although they're going backwards and are flying like on Air so maybe that's different enough?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This was all one big vehicle to get Ryan-Mark on a rollercoaster lets be honest.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

They should have come up with one of these and offered Lord Sugar the first ride.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Taear posted:

Alton Towers has the 14 loop rollercoaster and I've been on it, I don't expect 15 being too bad in all honesty.
But Alton Towers has a ride called 13 that goes backwards as well, I don't really see why going backwards is such a mad thing. Although they're going backwards and are flying like on Air so maybe that's different enough?

Coaster nerd time. The Smiler (14 inversion coaster) has had all kinds of trouble including crashes. I don't see anyone going for 15 any time soon given how little space The Smiler had to fit those 14 in, plus the expense of it having 2 lift hills. Then Thirteen doesn't really do anything with its backwards section aside from going back to the station. The other backwards section I've been on is Stormforce 10 at Drayton Manor which I think has been removed and my only memory of that was that I slammed my knee on an exposed bolt during the backwards section and had a limp the rest of the day.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

njsykora posted:

Coaster nerd time. The Smiler (14 inversion coaster) has had all kinds of trouble including crashes. I don't see anyone going for 15 any time soon given how little space The Smiler had to fit those 14 in, plus the expense of it having 2 lift hills. Then Thirteen doesn't really do anything with its backwards section aside from going back to the station. The other backwards section I've been on is Stormforce 10 at Drayton Manor which I think has been removed and my only memory of that was that I slammed my knee on an exposed bolt during the backwards section and had a limp the rest of the day.

I like Thirteen. The station fakeout is pretty effective, especially for people going into it unaware, and the backwards section (and track drop) are a big big part of that. Sure it's gimmicky but it works great as a set-piece.

Smiler... eh. Too much going on to actually appreciate it, in my book. Nemesis is still far and away a more exciting coaster despite being 25 years old and "only" having four inversions.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Bring back Thunderlooper!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I like Thirteen's gimmick as well, but as a whole it's not exactly the most inspiring coaster.

Also apparently BBC1 are now bidding for Taskmaster as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

njsykora posted:

I like Thirteen's gimmick as well, but as a whole it's not exactly the most inspiring coaster.

Also apparently BBC1 are now bidding for Taskmaster as well.

Taskmaster with no adverts would be very lovely indeed.