Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a conservatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sounds like someone here played Cluedo!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Sounds like someone here played Cluedo!

I live in middle class England, my friend, it's conservatories as far as the shed can see.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah growhouses don't bother with nicities like putting in sockets, they have cables nailed to the walls running from the tapoff before the electric meter.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah growhouses don't bother with nicities like putting in sockets, they have cables nailed to the walls running from the tapoff before the electric meter.

Certainly not "more than the bare minimum" metallic sockets.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Khizan posted:

Probably just did that for Halloween. Clear the way for trick or treaters, prevent people from loving with the car, etc.

The other car was parked outside and they left the door open, but that does make more sense than the situation I was imagining.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Jaded Burnout posted:

I live in middle class England, my friend, it's conservatories as far as the shed can see.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
I once viewed an apartment in the Netherlands that had recently been used as a growhouse. We had to bring ID to the viewing and show them to a pair of very nervous estate agents because of the previous renter's misuse. The apartment itself was great - it was the top floor of a car showroom and it was enormous. It had two full bathrooms, four double bedrooms, a large living room with a panoramic view, a decent sized decked balcony area, two (!) kitchens and absolutely no neighbours.

It also had all of the wires hanging out of the light fixtures, boarded up fanlights, holes and channels punched through walls, mystery wiring, an incredible fusty smell and very grubby walls in most of the rooms. We didn't go for that one for many reasons but the main one was that the growhouse operation had done such a number on the main rooms of place that it just wasn't ready to move into, and I was migrating to the country with children. I didn't want to risk problems such as repainting and then discovering that it wouldn't lift the smell and then have to persuade the landlord to redo the drywall and live with the upheaval, for example.

Side note: the kitchens and bathrooms had been installed just before the growhouse operation moved in and they were still pristine.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Next Purge main character?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't get why there are so many conservatories around here. They're bloody cold in winter, humid in summer, and are quite often built in a way that they leak if it's raining and the wind is blowing strongly sidewards. They take up room that's better used for an extension, which I think the middle classes have started to discover but not after a very long period of people buying these daft things just to keep up with the Jones'.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Did you hack my Ring camera?

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't get why there are so many conservatories around here. They're bloody cold in winter, humid in summer, and are quite often built in a way that they leak if it's raining and the wind is blowing strongly sidewards. They take up room that's better used for an extension, which I think the middle classes have started to discover but not after a very long period of people buying these daft things just to keep up with the Jones'.

They are cheaper than an extension, I'll give them that, but yes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

I live in a house with a radiator near the toilet and I tell you now when you see it in rust you understand just how potent the fine mist of piss can be.

The bathroom bog in my apartment is close enough to the radiator that one could easily burn one's calf while doing a poo poo, but it's still not rusted despite having been installed in the late 1980s.

Either your piss dispersal is hosed up or your radiator has poo poo for enamel.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sarah Bellum posted:

I once viewed an apartment in the Netherlands that had recently been used as a growhouse. We had to bring ID to the viewing and show them to a pair of very nervous estate agents because of the previous renter's misuse. The apartment itself was great - it was the top floor of a car showroom and it was enormous. It had two full bathrooms, four double bedrooms, a large living room with a panoramic view, a decent sized decked balcony area, two (!) kitchens and absolutely no neighbours.

It also had all of the wires hanging out of the light fixtures, boarded up fanlights, holes and channels punched through walls, mystery wiring, an incredible fusty smell and very grubby walls in most of the rooms. We didn't go for that one for many reasons but the main one was that the growhouse operation had done such a number on the main rooms of place that it just wasn't ready to move into, and I was migrating to the country with children. I didn't want to risk problems such as repainting and then discovering that it wouldn't lift the smell and then have to persuade the landlord to redo the drywall and live with the upheaval, for example.

Side note: the kitchens and bathrooms had been installed just before the growhouse operation moved in and they were still pristine.

Yeah I think you made the right choice. The biggest issue with grow-ops (after the fire risk) is that they make the air wet as gently caress. Unless they made some serious effort to dry the place out, you'd probably be looking at tons of hidden mould, rot, etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Plants are dank.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

I’ve a had a proper roof put on mine then had it dry walled inside so we can use it as an actual room. It almost certainly cost more than the original conservatory did.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

More baffling bullshit:

Are the ceiling lights on the right burned out, or on a different circuit?
Why, after going to enormous effort to install a vast network of wiring in the walls (and recall, this is the UK, so the walls are brick), do you have a cable in cheap plastic conduit plugged into one of the outlets (centre right).

I'm sorry, do you think exterior brick wall = there are bricks all the way through?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I'm sorry, do you think exterior brick wall = there are bricks all the way through?

i mean, solid/double-brick construction is def a Thing, it's just fallen out of vogue w modern builders compared to brick veneer. if he's from the UK i'd assume it's actual through-brick construction just because they have tons and tons of old brick-centric Legacy Construction compared to the much newer and less masonry-fixated construction you get in the US

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i mean, solid/double-brick construction is def a Thing, it's just fallen out of vogue w modern builders compared to brick veneer. if he's from the UK i'd assume it's actual through-brick construction just because they have tons and tons of old brick-centric Legacy Construction compared to the much newer and less masonry-fixated construction you get in the US

Close, but exterior brick walls are double skinned for insulating and waterproofing purposes.

That said..

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You don't run cables in the cavity. I can tell you from personal experience that running cables in brick-built homes is a loving pain, even with full access to the brickwork.

That said..

Lead out in cuffs posted:

(and recall, this is the UK, so the walls are brick)

Depends. Modern construction of external walls is usually blockwork with brick veneer, or double-skin brick. Modern internal walls are usually done In The American Style. No guarantee that any of the walls are brick, and given it looks recently modernised it's probably plasterboard even where there's brick.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I am generally not a big fan of house flipping but sometimes the "before" videos of particularly awful houses are amusing.
Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_O8kSzpLSo which should be really be titled "Why You Shouldn't Pour Concrete On Expansive Soil".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Weren't conservatories also prime high pressure direct sales fodder in the 90s alongside poo poo double glazing and timeshares?

Edit: I've never been in one that wasn't freezing cold either. They all have poured bases with zero isolation from the ground so just act as an all year round heat sink.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 5, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They're a cost-effective way to give you more floorspace, though my neighbours are already modifying theirs to improve the comfort. Who knew it'd be too hot in the summer?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gang tag contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903115

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're a cost-effective way to give you more floorspace, though my neighbours are already modifying theirs to improve the comfort. Who knew it'd be too hot in the summer?

Well they turn garden into floorspace if one matters more than the other, but I think everyone I know with one ends up putting a proper insulated roof in and trying to stop the floor sinking the heat away so they can use it more than 6 times a year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No school like old school.

https://i.imgur.com/GSjv2fP.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Goddamn, that's pretty good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Installing drywall with a hatchet. Over curves and boxes. That guy rules.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
he straight up eyeballs the outlet box hole and there's a pretty consistent gap around it, god drat

e:

Javid fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 10, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That dude fucks

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

devmd01 posted:

That dude fucks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

devmd01 posted:

That dude fucks

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

devmd01 posted:

That dude fucks

Grandma wasn't complainin'!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

devmd01 posted:

That dude fucks
Load-bearing and loving it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If he enjoys taking a bear's load then good for him I say.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Splicer posted:

Load-bearing and loving it

Nope, he wasn't load bearing. He was load giving.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

devmd01 posted:

That dude fucks

He comes bearing loads?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Xlorp posted:

He comes bearing loads?

:drat:!!!
You got me there.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Xlorp posted:

He comes bearing loads?

He comes, loading bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
He cums on loaded bears for sure. I’m looking to drywall 3 rooms soon, one of which is a bathroom and wish I had a time machine to go back and hire this dude lol