Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

An email posted:

As of Wednesday, November 13, 2019, you will no longer have a desk phone. Instead you will gain the awesome, new functionality to place and receive calls in Microsoft Teams with your headset! Your phone number will not change.

Just loving kill me now please.

Teams is poo poo software.

The people who manage Teams in our org are poo poo.

Computer-based softphones are a lovely solution for a phone.

Absolutely no possible way every conference call/meeting on Wednesday won't be a complete and total clusterfuck.

Also, don't try to polish this loving turd. "awesome" and exclamation points do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Absolutely no possible way every conference call/meeting on Wednesday won't be a complete and total clusterfuck.

Also, don't try to polish this loving turd. "awesome" and exclamation points do nothing.

Owned.

We use Jabber softphones for our call center though and they love it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like Teams, but otherwise agree with everything in your post.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Softphones are poo poo, get yourself a Polycom CCX when they launch.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Teams lover here as well. I can't get enough of uninstalling it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

We had a perfectly serviceable Avaya phone system.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

It's Poly now!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AlexDeGruven posted:

We had a perfectly serviceable Avaya phone system.

Not any more you don't!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

I don’t even sign into my phone right now, so thankfully this changes very little for me. I’m still excited to watch the trainwreck.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I don’t even sign into my phone right now, so thankfully this changes very little for me. I’m still excited to watch the trainwreck.

I'm remote the day this goes live, so it will be entertaining AF to watch the flailing.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I use Teams, Jabber, Telegram, [Trading software] messenger, Outlook, Webex. Every day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are Polycom SoundStation devices known for losing their software images, or having faulty flash? I've had a few IP6000 and IP7000 devices just decide they don't have a software image on them anymore, usually following a PoE switch reboot.

I guess the hardware design is pretty old now and some of the phones are going to be 10 years old, but it always stood out to me how flakey these devices can be.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
We use Mitel (formerly Shoretel) for all of our phone needs, and they seem to be lovely. It was mostly fine before Mitel forced us to switch from Shoretel's client to theirs shortly after they bought Shoretel.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Woof Blitzer posted:

I use Teams, Jabber, Telegram, [Trading software] messenger, Outlook, Webex. Every day.

Teams, Jabber, SfB (ha ha it's actually just Lync!), MatterMost, Outlook, Webex, Polycom phones. Every. loving. Day.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We’re all in on teams telephony unless you are in a call queue of some sort I.e. our call center, they’re staying on interactive/genesys. Everyone else at the corporate office is getting ported. I have no complaints, I’ve been using a teams number for months at this point. I really, really, don’t get the Teams hate. Is it perfect? No. But it works perfectly well enough for what we do, so whatever!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Are Polycom SoundStation devices known for losing their software images, or having faulty flash? I've had a few IP6000 and IP7000 devices just decide they don't have a software image on them anymore, usually following a PoE switch reboot.

I guess the hardware design is pretty old now and some of the phones are going to be 10 years old, but it always stood out to me how flakey these devices can be.

I had IP6000s in the conference rooms at the university I worked at, and yes, they'd often come back from reboots dead. Thankfully the entire building was on redundant backup power, but if one stopped working and you unplugged it to fix it was a coin toss as to whether of not it would come back or need to be reflashed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

My most embarrassing LP moment was a video game that used a stock alarm sound that happened to be the same sound effect for some poo poo rear end MMO I was playing at the time.

It made me jump up and slam the self heal button on my keyboard before I could register what happened.

this is why I don't like watching videos of other people playing games. I get so frustrated with the camera

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

this is why I don't like watching videos of other people playing games. I get so frustrated with the camera

I get frustrated at them often missing simple game concepts or obvious solutions.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I get frustrated at them often missing simple game concepts or obvious solutions.

the rare occasion the camera work doesn't drive me away 30 seconds in, I realize how bad they are and feel better about myself.

see, i'm the guy who drives LoL players into a frothing rage by being bad and not giving a poo poo

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

devmd01 posted:

We’re all in on teams telephony unless you are in a call queue of some sort I.e. our call center, they’re staying on interactive/genesys. Everyone else at the corporate office is getting ported. I have no complaints, I’ve been using a teams number for months at this point. I really, really, don’t get the Teams hate. Is it perfect? No. But it works perfectly well enough for what we do, so whatever!

Ditto. Teams is miles better than Skype for Business, which was our previous iteration.

Teams isn't perfect (my biggest gripe is how it has to load chat history when you scroll up), but it's certainly sufficient for my day to day use. The best thing I can say about it is that it rarely gets in the way, other than the chat history thing. It does what it needs to do when I need it to do it.

Apparently our Mac users hate it though. I guess the Mac client is far more troublesome.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

Ditto. Teams is miles better than Skype for Business, which was our previous iteration.

Teams isn't perfect (my biggest gripe is how it has to load chat history when you scroll up), but it's certainly sufficient for my day to day use. The best thing I can say about it is that it rarely gets in the way, other than the chat history thing. It does what it needs to do when I need it to do it.

Apparently our Mac users hate it though. I guess the Mac client is far more troublesome.

All the mac stuff for microsoft's office suite sucks. The outlook client has significantly less functionality than the windows client. SfB is janky in general, randomly locks up, and will sometimes consume all ram and swap space on my mac when I join large meetings.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Most of my group is on Macs. I'm honestly considering going to a Windows lappy after the change to see if it's less of a pain in the rear end.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Yup, most of the pre-VVX line do this, but it does sure seem to happen disproportionately often to the conference phones. I'd say I've fixed as many conference phones from that issue as I have desktop phones, and I've deployed dozens of times more desktop phones.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We have both SfB AND Teams installed at my new job. Both are used interchangeably, or at least "barely at all" given my group. Phone calls and emails. Very 2010!

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

Teams lover here as well. I can't get enough of uninstalling it.

My hero.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Speaking of comms application fragmenting at work, I just blew up in a well-traveled work forum about how people keep pinging me on applications I've been told to stop using, and then accusing me of ignoring them when I don't respond.

There was apparently a manager's chat shortly after where my boss basically had to tell everyone to soothe their boobs, because I'm not being rude to anyone and I'm calling out something that truly IS a major problem for us.

I get paid enough that I don't really give a gently caress about getting promoted, at least not until I'm bored enough to want new job duties. Being IT's poo poo-stirrer seems to suit me just fine, so I'm running with it.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
SfB Admin/Engi checking in.

Always use Polycom/BToE. Softphone purism is for VPNers at best.

:edit: The VVX-601s are fun with their gimmick touch screens and integrated bluetooth.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
In September:

:11tea: (me): Hi department manager, we are changing the PINs used for the telephone conferencing system next month. Here is your team's new PIN. You can use it from today, and your old PIN will continue working until 30 October in case you have already arranged stuff. Please stop using the old PIN before the end of October. Remember that use of this PIN is charged to your department so hand it out wisely.
:silent: (manager): *crickets*

In October:

:11tea:: Hi department manager, this is just a reminder that your old PIN will stop working at the end of this month, and here's your new one again just in case.
:silent:: *crickets*

:11tea:: Hi user in that manager's department, I noticed that you were still using the old PIN in October. That will expire at the end of this month so please get the new one from your manager!
:butt:: *crickets*

On 1 November the old PINs were cancelled.

Yesterday:

:butt:: Uhh hi I tried to use the telephone conference today but it says my PIN has expired, what gives?
:11tea:: Please see the attached email where this was announced, and consult your manager for the new PIN :)
:silent::I don't have the new PIN. Also please help him directly without involving me.
:11tea::OK, will do! Hi :butt:, please see the attached email where I provided the PIN to your manager.

For fucks sake people, this whole exchange was over email and we store all email for ten years and you know this! Why would you pretend an email you got doesn't exist!

:silent: is a manager in one of the money-touching departments but I'm leaving this job this month, so I had zero fucks to give.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lord Dudeguy posted:

SfB Admin/Engi checking in.

Always use Polycom/BToE. Softphone purism is for VPNers at best.

Funny you should mention that.
Network engineer tried to backpedal and say that "MDI-X on NICs is a waste of technology" and "why would anyone want to connect two computers?"

I showed him a picture of my Digium D60 connected to my laptop's Ethernet port and explained that I like not having to use my cell phone to call other extensions when I'm stuck doing work from home because this job is ridiculous and even when I have a day off I'm never actually "off." I use wifi on my laptop to connect to the internet and then bridge the software VPN connection to my ethernet port so the phone can talk to Asterisk.

gently caress softphones.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Network engineer tried to backpedal and say that "MDI-X on NICs is a waste of technology" and "why would anyone want to connect two computers?"

:psyduck:

I mean, this is like complaining about when all ports on the back of machines started being color coded 20 years ago. Why yes I don't want any help and I'm fine wasting time trying to plug a VGA cable into the serial port because I didn't look closely the first time. I suppose it's not NECESSARY to have MDI-X but who the gently caress wants to gently caress around with crossover cables and make sure you're keeping them separated from regular cables so you don't grab the wrong one in loving 2019?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for reminding me about the time I had a double ethernet outlet loose with the ports patched to each other as a crossover to connect two PCs together using two regular cat 5 cables :v:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
That is a great idea. That’s the kind of weird poo poo that ends up in a tech’s backpack “just in case”.

In case of what I don’t know but it’s still strangely appealing.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Back in the '00s, I had both a crossover adapter and a passive loopback terminator in my tech bag.

I must have used both of them at least twice, maybe even three times.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol if you don't maintain a null modem within arms reach at all times

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I feel I missed something cause I've been on a soft phone for 5 years now and it's fine 99% of the time. Am I just lucky?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
A phone with 99.0% uptime would be p.frustrating tbqh

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

LethalGeek posted:

I feel I missed something cause I've been on a soft phone for 5 years now and it's fine 99% of the time. Am I just lucky?
Found the Skype lover.

I guess it's fine if you never have to interact with the phone during the call...
But honestly I really prefer not having to alt+tab to mute or conference or hold or whatever I need to do. Plus having a desk phone doesn't interfere with my computer audio so I can still be on a webex and call someone real quick if I have to.
Also being able to quickly mute myself and scream obscenities or blare music without having to close an RDP window is pretty solid.

Besides, having speed dials, and line keys, and functions and * codes, and paging, and intercom, all the other wonderful sorts of other things at your finger tips that doesn't require taking focus off your beautiful scotch on the rocks in order to use is immense.
Plus if you've already got an IP phone programmed for your PBX why would you pay for (or even worse, subscribe to) a lovely softphone?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Found the Skype lover.

I guess it's fine if you never have to interact with the phone during the call...
But honestly I really prefer not having to alt+tab to mute or conference or hold or whatever I need to do. Plus having a desk phone doesn't interfere with my computer audio so I can still be on a webex and call someone real quick if I have to.
Also being able to quickly mute myself and scream obscenities or blare music without having to close an RDP window is pretty solid.

Besides, having speed dials, and line keys, and functions and * codes, and paging, and intercom, all the other wonderful sorts of other things at your finger tips that doesn't require taking focus off your beautiful scotch on the rocks in order to use is immense.
Plus if you've already got an IP phone programmed for your PBX why would you pay for (or even worse, subscribe to) a lovely softphone?

All this, plus being unable to answer your phone when your PC is locked.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm remote and I probably could have gotten a physical phone but naaaah. If I had to interact with a phone and calls to the level you all are talking about to need all that stuff... I can't imagine what job I'd need to be doing honestly.

Like I feel like I'm the user listening to the computer people talk about how they Really Use one. I over here with my 6 functions I need and I'm happy.

Edit plus I can literally drown out someone since all the sound sources are in the pc with the phone. I do really like having nearly all my racket going into one headset easily.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

klosterdev posted:

A phone with 99.0% uptime would be p.frustrating tbqh
the closer to 0% you can get the better.