Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Deptfordx posted:

Big Horus Heresy audiobook Humble Bundle just dropped.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/voices-heresy-black-library-books
I admit I'm a little annoyed with the selection, since a lot of the books on offer (mostly in the $1 & $10 tiers) are ones that were in the Horus Heresy eBook bundle back in March, so I've already read a lot of them. Still, I'll probably pick it up, since it has some I don't have, and Flight of the Einstein (maybe my favorite of the ones I've read so far) got me really invested in Garro's character, and it looks like there a few stories in the bundle that focus on him.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Which apps are you folks using for audiobooks? I'm looking for something with basic functionality like picking up where you left off, bookmarking and such, nothing fancy, because Audible won't let you run your own files. A cursory google search yields "Smart Audiobook Player", anyone have experience with that?

I've been meaning to ask about this as well, because I wanted a good audiobook player for my phone, so I could pause & resume the book without accidentally starting it over from the beginning or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Noblesse Obliged posted:

When they took down the statues of the traitor Primarchs the galactic South were sure pissed off about it

Heresy not hate!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Max Wilco posted:

I admit I'm a little annoyed with the selection, since a lot of the books on offer (mostly in the $1 & $10 tiers) are ones that were in the Horus Heresy eBook bundle back in March, so I've already read a lot of them. Still, I'll probably pick it up, since it has some I don't have, and Flight of the Einstein (maybe my favorite of the ones I've read so far) got me really invested in Garro's character, and it looks like there a few stories in the bundle that focus on him.

I've been meaning to ask about this as well, because I wanted a good audiobook player for my phone, so I could pause & resume the book without accidentally starting it over from the beginning or something.

I've tried a few different audiobook players and prefer Voice for Android.(Not sure if it is on IOS, ymmv). It's somewhat bare bones but it will keep track of your location in multiple books at once so you can skip around if you want to try something else. Also it's 100% free, unlike Smart Audio which is only free for the first 30 days.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.ph1b.audiobook

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Cheers, I'll give that a try

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Where do Carrion Throne/Hollow Mountain fit into the timeline? Im not that up on the lore.

Found a timeline

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 8, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Where do Carrion Throne/Hollow Mountain fit into the timeline? Im not that up on the lore.

They're pretty "contemporary" in that they cover the fallout of what happened at Cadia.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Finished Hollow Mountain. Fun ride, though I liked Carrion Throne more. Both well worth the read.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Is the humble bundle worth picking up, either at the 1 or 8 dollar levels? I've read a few of the books included, never listened to a BL audio book but are they generally pretty well done?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The main, unabridged narrated audiobooks are without exception fantastically well produced. The audio dramas are really weird and silly, IMO.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hopterque posted:

The main, unabridged narrated audiobooks are without exception fantastically well produced. The audio dramas are really weird and silly, IMO.

I listened to the first Agent of the Throne drama, and it was pretty good. I think the guy playing the Mechanicus agent was trying to do his best K-9 impersonation, but it was fun if a bit short for what I paid.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nemesis is okay to skip, right?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Technowolf posted:

Nemesis is okay to skip, right?

Yes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/black-library-weekender-2019-the-reveals/

Black Library Weekender reveals are up and there's a bevy of good stuff.
Like Ephrael Stern making a return with a sequel and a full color version of Daemonifuge. As well as the Last Chancers returning as well.

Also a new Watchers of the Throne book announced, with tie-in models.

Although Valerian's model looks weird, his head feels out of place.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The head kind of look like Christopher Walken to me.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

drat there is a lot of good stuff coming out.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Vadoc posted:

The head kind of look like Christopher Walken to me.

It does, and it looks like his head is as big as his chest.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/black-library-weekender-2019-the-reveals/

Like Ephrael Stern making a return with a sequel and a full color version of Daemonifuge. As well as the Last Chancers returning as well.

Valerian even has a keyring on his multifunction poker :v:

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Have to admit I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by Haley's Lost and the Damned. The Solar War did a pretty convincing job of showing the conflict in the wider Sol System. The narrowed focus on Terra makes sense but just feel like the scale isn't right at all in comparison. Also the focus coming so quickly in the series is making me hope it isn't dragged out more than four books cause if so whoa boy someone borked it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Have to admit I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by Haley's Lost and the Damned. The Solar War did a pretty convincing job of showing the conflict in the wider Sol System. The narrowed focus on Terra makes sense but just feel like the scale isn't right at all in comparison. Also the focus coming so quickly in the series is making me hope it isn't dragged out more than four books cause if so whoa boy someone borked it.

Gonna be at least 8 books.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's 8 books in the main story, and an unknown number of side stories/anthologies. Sons of Selenar is a novella that has been announced for example that follows some shattered legion characters I believe.

I did feel like LatD did get further into the timeline than I expected, but after more thought I see what they are going for. The Siege lasted for months and they absolutely want to make sure they tell all of the legions' stories. I am guessing the outer walls fall in the First Wall and then the story spreads out as we check in with what each legion is doing. I imagine the spaceport battle with the Scars is probably its own book etc.

That being said, I would have liked for the solar war to have been covered in more than one book. I thought that the scale of LatD was great but not as epic as Solar War, but all the forces aren't landed yet. The view from the conscripted infantry guy was suitably terrifying.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any books that give a good insight into the life of chapter serfs? I really liked the twisted sense of order that dictated Septimus and Octavia's servitude to the Night Lords and I want to see if there's a loyalist equivalent. Serfs seem like the kind of people who would be considered exceptional in any other profession but are denied the major spotlight due to their subservience to the Astartes. Apart from their roles in maintaining ships and equipment and general logistics could they also act as a small army if needed?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any books that give a good insight into the life of chapter serfs? I really liked the twisted sense of order that dictated Septimus and Octavia's servitude to the Night Lords and I want to see if there's a loyalist equivalent. Serfs seem like the kind of people who would be considered exceptional in any other profession but are denied the major spotlight due to their subservience to the Astartes. Apart from their roles in maintaining ships and equipment and general logistics could they also act as a small army if needed?

Spear of the Emperor's narrator is a loyalist chapter serf.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The night lords do also feature an attack on a loyalist chapter monastery that is partly defended by the serfs. Not the best example of their full capability but gives some idea.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

MrNemo posted:

The night lords do also feature an attack on a loyalist chapter monastery that is partly defended by the serfs. Not the best example of their full capability but gives some idea.

They do an OK job, too!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I think the first thing I asked in this thread was if there was any ork books. Well there still isn't but the short story Engine of Mork is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Mek boys build a stompa and have themselves some fun.

And apparently there's a sequel so looking forward to that.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Guyver posted:

I think the first thing I asked in this thread was if there was any ork books. Well there still isn't but the short story Engine of Mork is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Mek boys build a stompa and have themselves some fun.

And apparently there's a sequel so looking forward to that.

There's a comic book series where a guardsmen gets green paint all over him and gets picked up by the orcs. At least I vaguely remember this as it's been awhile.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

There's a comic book series where a guardsmen gets green paint all over him and gets picked up by the orcs. At least I vaguely remember this as it's been awhile.

it's rad as hell, this Tallarn colonel gets covered in liquid ork and is mistaken for a grot after an imperial defeat. He's kept as the up and coming warboss' lucky charm. eventually he escapes and is rescued I think, its been a while.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Blood and Thunder. It’s good and very funny. Another classic ork-centered comic is Deff Skwadron.

What are some other good 40k comics? I really enjoyed The Redeemer, even if it felt so unlike other 40k media. Damnation Crusade was pretty sweet as well. Will of Iron I couldn’t get into as much.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apart from their roles in maintaining ships and equipment and general logistics could they also act as a small army if needed?
It's barely touched on in Lords of Silence, but part of the defense force for the White Consuls fortress monastery was thousands and thousands of chapter serfs.

It's probably not more frequent because anything fighting chapter serfs is also fighting Marines at the same time, so either gets steamrolled or is so deadly normal humans are barely more than a speedbump.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I have a book collecting weakness, and I made the bad financial decision of buying a limited edition 40k book. Now I want them all. I've got Lords of Silence and Valdor, but now I am going to work on getting all of the Siege of Terra series. Just got the new Sabbat Worlds Crusade book that was for sale at the BL weekender and signed by Abnett.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

This is pretty awesome. I can't rave enough about how good I thought Watchers of the Throne was. It's probably my favorite 40k book. It's just so. loving. epic. Grey Knights, Custodes, Sisters of Silence all fighting side by side as the warp is ripped open as Cadia falls and Chaos pours out. There is actual story and much needed world building leading up to all of this.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 15, 2019

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device Special 6: Tabletop Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9-bQ3JoWY

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Still not quite done chuckling at the Forges of Mars series tackling unionization of Mechanicum serfs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device Special 6: Tabletop Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9-bQ3JoWY

The stereotypes are so accurate it hurts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/15/old-world-new-warhammer/

GW bringing the Old World back to tabletop sometime in the future

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

lmfao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gotta capitalize on those Total Warhammer and Vermintide bucks

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Man those poor bastards who gave away their fantasy models must be pissed

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hope they get rid of steadfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gotta capitalize on those Total Warhammer and Vermintide bucks

Slightly missed the boat on that, I’d wager.