Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Warmachine posted:

It sorta looks like a garbage can, but it's no Kapool.

The Kapool is an adorable waddling death ball, take that back. :p

Also, having watched Turn A before ZZ, it's hilarious how minor and brief their original appearance is. I'd love to know how they decided on them as one of the primary suits for Turn A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is it wrong, to get meta here, to take a Kapool model, paint it red and white, put a maple leaf on it, and call it the CanPol?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

iospace posted:

Is it wrong, to get meta here, to take a Kapool model, paint it red and white, put a maple leaf on it, and call it the CanPol?

It's hard to do a design over a curved surface like that

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

iospace posted:

Only if you fail to add the serif font "Canada" to it and put it in the OP of the CanPol thread in D&D.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gripweed posted:

It's hard to do a design over a curved surface like that

I'll figure it out :v: Maybe. :effort: really

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I mean, we're on episode 6 of a 20-something episode show, and assuming it is meant to be a show about the characters, one of four plotlines has advanced incrementally and naturally?

not only this but they’re doing stuff with multiple characters’ arcs in this mission so like i don’t get the complaints

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm fine with the episodes pacing since each 2 episode arc does focus on developing one of the 4 and it's even progressing hirito at the same time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

I'm fine with the episodes pacing since each 2 episode arc does focus on developing one of the 4 and it's even progressing hirito at the same time.

I'm expecting Mai will be the focus of the two after the next one. So far the pacing's been fine by me, and we're getting some decent character development for each of them. Looks like it's gonna be trying to leave some lingering threads (like whatever Par's flashback actually is), but that's for when they've got all the individual-character episode arcs done and they've still got a whole second cour to play with.

It's not a fantastic show, and I do think its working to someone's pet isekai story laid on top of the Gundam show they were handed, but the character writing's decent enough and they at least know how to use Gundam elements and references where they'd be relevant as background elements or part of the plot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think my real problem is that they're all still so standoffish they aren't entertaining to watch as a team. And Par getting over his thing didn't change the team dynamics. Which has me wondering how long it's going to take for the interactions of the team members to become compelling. Or if they're gonna end the show as basically acquaintances who learned to work together and be generally vaguely supportive to each other.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

I think my real problem is that they're all still so standoffish they aren't entertaining to watch as a team. And Par getting over his thing didn't change the team dynamics. Which has me wondering how long it's going to take for the interactions of the team members to become compelling. Or if they're gonna end the show as basically acquaintances who learned to work together and be generally vaguely supportive to each other.

So you missed the entire aside at the end with Hiroto then?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you missed the entire aside at the end with Hiroto then?

No? Hiroto doesn't trust his teammates. OK. Par was afraid of heights. Kazami can't face failure. The other one, uhh, is secretly working with Maggie I guess? She doesn't really have much of a personality.

But the problem is that so far those are all entirely to do with their functioning as a team, not as friends. Par was afraid of heights so he couldn't use his Gunpla well and wasn't an asset to the team. He got over his fear and was able to perform well and helped the team win. Kazami runs headlong into every bad guy because he doesn't want to think about the possibility of failure, and gets owned. Presumably next episode he will get over that and be able to work better in the team. Hiroto keeps important tactical information from his team, like the presence of his upgrade packs or his assumption that the opponents will use jamming, and leaves them in the lurch because he doesn't trust them. Presumably at some point in the near future he'll get over that and talk to his team mates and they'll be able to function more effectively as a team.

Hopefully Hiroto getting over his tactical trust issue will also let him share personal stuff too. I assume it will. But I only assume that because this is a fiction show and that's the kind of thing that happens in fiction. His lack of trust in personal matters hasn't come up at all in his relationship with his teammates.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

No? Hiroto doesn't trust his teammates. OK. Par was afraid of heights. Kazami can't face failure. The other one, uhh, is secretly working with Maggie I guess? She doesn't really have much of a personality.

So you did miss the whole thing of "why are you doing everything yourself, why didn't you tell your teammates what you'd figured out about our tactics?"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I wanna say we have a few good fights in the first season by now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you did miss the whole thing of "why are you doing everything yourself, why didn't you tell your teammates what you'd figured out about our tactics?"

No, I did not. As I said, Hiroto doesn't trust his teammates. I was literally quoting the guy summing up the problem

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've heard before that the RGM-79D, Hygogg, Z'Gok-E and Zaku II FZ were supposed to be redesigns of their 0079 equivalents originally, but Bandai got cold feet at the last minute and decided to make them late-war variants instead.

Does anyone have a source to back this up? The Gundam wiki has nothing.

drrockso20 posted:

Besides what Gripweed mentioned about MS Era, an SD Gundam short from around the same period of time has an extended sequence in a non SD universe that uses Izubuchi designs for everything, including the Hygogg and Z'Gok-E being colored like the regular Gogg and Z'Gok, as well as several new at the time designs like for the Gouf that would be repurposed later on in other series that Izubuchi contributed designs for(the aforementioned Gouf design being almost identical to the Gouf Custom)

I'm fairly certain it's a similar case with 0083's designs too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Argas posted:

I'm fairly certain it's a similar case with 0083's designs too.

Yeah Izubuchi got a lot of work in Gundam during the 80s and 90s, at least in UC stuff(don't think he ever did much for any of the AU series), shame that Kobayashi and Kondo never got similar chances to be the primary designers for a series

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

dudermcbrohan posted:

not only this but they’re doing stuff with multiple characters’ arcs in this mission so like i don’t get the complaints

I was pleasantly surprised with the fight with Kazami's old team. I thought the show would just say that the team lost because Kazami always rushes ahead, but it seemed like everyone knew that already so the focus shifted on Hiroto's lack of trust to his teammates.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm expecting Mai will be the focus of the two after the next one. So far the pacing's been fine by me, and we're getting some decent character development for each of them. Looks like it's gonna be trying to leave some lingering threads (like whatever Par's flashback actually is), but that's for when they've got all the individual-character episode arcs done and they've still got a whole second cour to play with.

Yeah, even when the episode builds up one of the main four, it still tries to add characterization for the side characters and I'm fine with that. Also I thought Par's flashback had this implication that the whole 1000% immersion thing in VR has its downsides because Par's fall being so realistic was what gave him a fear of heights.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

But the problem is that so far those are all entirely to do with their functioning as a team, not as friends. Par was afraid of heights so he couldn't use his Gunpla well and wasn't an asset to the team. He got over his fear and was able to perform well and helped the team win. Kazami runs headlong into every bad guy because he doesn't want to think about the possibility of failure, and gets owned. Presumably next episode he will get over that and be able to work better in the team. Hiroto keeps important tactical information from his team, like the presence of his upgrade packs or his assumption that the opponents will use jamming, and leaves them in the lurch because he doesn't trust them. Presumably at some point in the near future he'll get over that and talk to his team mates and they'll be able to function more effectively as a team.

Hopefully Hiroto getting over his tactical trust issue will also let him share personal stuff too. I assume it will. But I only assume that because this is a fiction show and that's the kind of thing that happens in fiction. His lack of trust in personal matters hasn't come up at all in his relationship with his teammates.

I don't think we're meant to see them as friends. At least not yet. I think part of their development as a team will lead to them becoming friends. I'm sure Par already sees them as such, but I haven't seen any interaction between Mai, Hiroto, and Kazumi that suggests "friendship."

At the moment, they are just coworkers. Or, worse, players in League of Legends solo queue. Kazumi is the ADC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a release date for Hathaway's Flash yet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've been reading Glory of the Losers, and it turns out the Gundam Wing dub made a horrible mistake! It's not Space Fortress Barge. It's Space Fortress Bulge.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

I've been reading Glory of the Losers, and it turns out the Gundam Wing dub made a horrible mistake! It's not Space Fortress Barge. It's Space Fortress Bulge.

To be fair "Barge" is also a valid reading of the Japanese. And we apparently know "Bulge" is the official english translation from a note in Frozen Teardrop apparently, so thanks Frozen Teardrop! You're still mad as a hatter.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I finally got around to watching Narrative the other day, and that certainly was a thing that happened. I mostly just wish I'd used those 90 minutes on continuing my Zeta rewatch instead.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Five volumes into Glory of the Losers, so far both the Deathscythe and the Heavyarms have gotten flight packs, the Shenlong got a heat sword that was better than the Sandrock's swords, and the Sandrock got missile pods bigger than the Heavyarms' missile pods.

I assume by the end of the series every Gundam will have an expansion pack that let's it do the job of every other Gundam.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bloody Pom posted:

I finally got around to watching Narrative the other day, and that certainly was a thing that happened. I mostly just wish I'd used those 90 minutes on continuing my Zeta rewatch instead.

Narrative is the proof in the pudding to me, that Fukui is a bad choice for Gundam. He's... got no understanding of UC gundam, which isn't fuckin' rare among non-tomino people, but he's the worst kind of successor. I mean Moon Gundam is just... bad... really not good.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Gripweed posted:

Five volumes into Glory of the Losers, so far both the Deathscythe and the Heavyarms have gotten flight packs, the Shenlong got a heat sword that was better than the Sandrock's swords, and the Sandrock got missile pods bigger than the Heavyarms' missile pods.

I assume by the end of the series every Gundam will have an expansion pack that let's it do the job of every other Gundam.

To be fair I still don't know what the Sandrock's job is

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Suck and be lame.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think it’s the one with slightly more armor. But just slightly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MechaX posted:

I think theoretically it's supposed to be a close combat master. In practice everybody instantly forgot that the Deathscythe is supposed to be a stealth machine and it just scythed everything, becoming the much cooler close combat master

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

And there's that scene where the Heavyarms armed only with it's lovely little machete is easily able to keep pace with the Sandrock in a sword fight.

I guess that Quatre didn't really have his heart in it but still that fight doesn't reflect well on the close combat abilities of the Sandrock.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Narrative is probably my single most hated piece of Gundam media for how much it misses the point of UC and how spiteful and mean spirited it is compared to even Victory Gundam.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

For someone that hasn't watched and after those posts will not watch Narrative: what makes it so bad? It sounds interesting(ly terrible).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RevolverDivider posted:

Narrative is probably my single most hated piece of Gundam media for how much it misses the point of UC and how spiteful and mean spirited it is compared to even Victory Gundam.

What makes you say it's spiteful and mean spirited?

Narrative is a bit of a hard movie to criticize, because the editing makes it essentially a puzzle that the viewer has to piece together as they watch it. But my basic read on it was that Michelle feels like she betrayed both her adopted families by claiming to be the miracle child. She thinks she betrayed the other children because she got to go live in the lap of luxury while they stayed in the horrible orphanage, and that she betrayed the Luios by pretending to have precognitive powers. Even though all the kids would've died if somebody hadn't stepped up to be the miracle child, and her non-magic business sense had been a great boon to the Luio Company. So when the Phenex traps Rita's soul in it, Michelle goes on a Ahab style quest to get it back because she thinks that if she does she'll be able to make it up to both of them. By catching the Phenex she'll reunite herself, Jona, and Rita, and she'll be able to use the Newtype soul catching technology to conquer death and bring old man Luio back to life. And in the end it turns out that she doesn't need to catch the Phenex because both of her families forgave her and always loved her.

Narrative has huge problems but I didn't read it as mean-spirited at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's really funny that when you look at the upgrades that Wing got in the 2nd half of the series, you had:

Second barrel for heavy arms

Deathscythe and Shenlong got completely upgraded

Wing Gundam got replaced by Wing Zero

....Sandrock gets an uzi

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tae posted:

It's really funny that when you look at the upgrades that Wing got in the 2nd half of the series, you had:

Second barrel for heavy arms

Deathscythe and Shenlong got completely upgraded

Wing Gundam got replaced by Wing Zero

....Sandrock gets an uzi

It got some additional maneuvering thrusters too but yeah, it was the least changed of all of them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MechaX posted:

00 handled the whole premise of having a bunch of specialized Gundams than Wing or SEED/Destiny ever managed to do

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

00 handled the whole premise of having a bunch of specialized Gundams than Wing or SEED/Destiny ever managed to do

Yeah but in 00 all the Gundams were designed for a specific purpose by a single organization working off a plan.

The Gundams in Wing were made by five different mad scientists working independently for different purposes, all of which ended up being different from what the Gundams were actually used for.

So it makes sense that the Gundam lineup makes no sense.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Epyon is pretty much weird personal pet project by the series crazies low key character too. Zechs just wanted to fight a superior machine, Trieze wanted to psychologically torture people he liked with visions of their own death in a machine entirely built for duling.

Which is why Trieze rocks tbh.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Trieze built a death where you have to acknowledge the weight of taking a life, pretty hardcore.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Trieze lets Wufei kill him, and let Wufei know, and inflicts the most psychologically devestating own in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azubah posted:

Trieze built a death where you have to acknowledge the weight of taking a life, pretty hardcore.

I'm pretty sure Mikazuki would inspire a lot of "No! You're missing the point!" speeches if he ever piloted it.