Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
She's into bad elves shrouded in danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I can't believe Marcille was Chuuni all along.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EimiYoshikawa posted:

She's an edgy teenager, after all.

into the DARK ARTS and has looked like this before:

The signs were all there

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
She’s probably the half-elf equivalent of a teenager, yeah

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
smh Chilchack nearly wiping the party because of kink-shaming smh

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i dunno if marcelle's a teenager she's just really really into like bodice ripper romance novels

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Giant Metal Robot posted:

She's into bad elves shrouded in danger.

marcille's totally gonna be smitten when she meets the elf death squad

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Or she is going to scream uncontrollably because they're the Elf Death Squad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Izutsumi is a good nice person

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Also,

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Welp, she did some cooking. She's lost now.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Gross chapter, but very, very good.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Hot milk with sugar, salt, flour and cocaine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah when I saw the weird things in the water, I was like OH MY GOD THEY'RE MOSQUITOES because that's exactly what their larvae look like

brilliant

BRILLIANT

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

A great chapter focusing on Izutsumi. Really shows how far she's come since joining the party. Also I love how Marcille's bite is on her hand, because of course she'd want her prince charming to kiss her on her hand. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

A great chapter focusing on Izutsumi. Really shows how far she's come since joining the party. Also I love how Marcille's bite is on her hand, because of course she'd want her prince charming to kiss her on her hand. :v:

Do you really need to spoiler that if we literally saw it happen in the previous chapter

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

To be fair, it's been like a month since the last chapter came out so I forgot that detail. :v:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Kui really likes the idea of making supernatural entities more naturalistic looking at her previous anthologies, but it's been back to back in this series to it's benefit. Succubus being shapeshifting mosquitoes, Living armors being mollusk colonies, Mimics being large hermit crabs, and changelings being the result of magic mushroom spores from specific configurations. Things like that really sell the idea of the dungeon being an ecosystem, doubly so when you examine how these creatures behave and how that dictates how the party approaches them. I really enjoy how Kui crafts her worlds, it's something I would like to take to heart when planning out my own campaign settings.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

My favorite detail? Izutsumi leaving cat hair everywhere when feeding everyone.

Second favorite detail is how Chichak had his stupid laughing face vaccum-dried in place by the attack.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Show us Laius and Senshi's succubi you coward.

Brought To You By posted:

Kui really likes the idea of making supernatural entities more naturalistic looking at her previous anthologies, but it's been back to back in this series to it's benefit. Succubus being shapeshifting mosquitoes, Living armors being mollusk colonies, Mimics being large hermit crabs, and changelings being the result of magic mushroom spores from specific configurations. Things like that really sell the idea of the dungeon being an ecosystem, doubly so when you examine how these creatures behave and how that dictates how the party approaches them. I really enjoy how Kui crafts her worlds, it's something I would like to take to heart when planning out my own campaign settings.
I've read a few stories that tried to borrow living dungeons as a feasible concept, but Dungeon Meshi's the only one where the author actually did their homework. Most just chalk it up to magic, "Wizards be crazy," please don't ask what the giant spider eats when nobody shows up.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Show us Laius and Senshi's succubi you coward.
I've read a few stories that tried to borrow living dungeons as a feasible concept, but Dungeon Meshi's the only one where the author actually did their homework. Most just chalk it up to magic, "Wizards be crazy," please don't ask what the giant spider eats when nobody shows up.

Yeah, I forgot to mention it but even the Cleaners are something that takes into account how damage can be repaired in an enclosed environment, while also existing as slugs, silverfish, and other tiny critters. It's all still magic but it retains an internal consistency to it.

On floors populated with vegetation you will find an abundance of wildlife and killer plants. In the regions dominated by corridors you are going to find ambush predators like Mimics, Succubus, treasure bugs (which also explain one part of how treasure "respawns"), wandering spirits and many more. There is an encampment of Orcs occupying the 4th floor that have their own ways of getting food including stealing from the humans who live in the dungeons as well. And a couple roving Golems near Senshi's tent. The flooded floor has it's own microcosm of water-based creatures living together and the trip down has a combination of rainforest creatures and plants that are part anemone. And then after all of that you can add "wizards be crazy" to explain why this dungeon also has shifting terrain, soul binding magic, and monsters that can be manufactured and controlled. On top of the fact that the desires of people entering it can restock the dungeon and produce more monsters on it's own since magic feeds the creation and growth of things inside.

I don't know the author who said this, I believe it was Terry Pratchett. But someone once said that to take a good approach to worldbuilding and writing you need to ask "how do their toilets work" and we know there's an answer in this story.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I believe it was JK Rowling who said that the right approach to worldbuilding is to ask yourself, "how do their toilets work", and then tell yourself that the wizards poop on the ground where they stand, like a horse, and use their magic to make the poop disappear.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Explosions posted:

I believe it was JK Rowling who said that the right approach to worldbuilding is to ask yourself, "how do their toilets work", and then tell yourself that the wizards poop on the ground where they stand, like a horse, and use their magic to make the poop disappear.

i mean they did that for real without the power to disappear the poop by magic in the past.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Explosions posted:

I wish you were joking about that second part.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

I wish you were joking about that second part.

Dungeoneers poop on the ground where they stand, like a horse, and use their cooking utensils to make the poop disappear.

waste, then waste not

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Explosions posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/35680/isekai-no-toire-de-dai-o-suru

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'd love to read Ryoko Kui 's hosed up take on Harry Potter.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

https://mangadex.org/chapter/766762/1 New chapter out. Laius is such a lovable doofus.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Izutsumi

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

:yeah:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
oh my god laius's succubus aaaaaaaaa

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Kui Ryoko owns i trust you all are buying the english releases of this so she gets some well deserved $$$

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Kui Ryoko owns i trust you all are buying the english releases of this so she gets some well deserved $$$

Buying the Japanese realeses from Kinokuniya because I'm a dumbass that is using this as motivation to learn Japanese.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I buy all the English releases as they come out, but I think I prefer the tone and voice of the scanlations. The art is much higher quality, though, especially for the first few volumes, so I'd still recommend them even if you aren't just buying them to support the comic.

I think I said "what? WHAT?" out loud like three times while reading this chapter.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Fuckin Laius, goddamn :laffo:

At least we finally found something that Laius is weirded out to eat.

Been buying the print copies but got to say the scanlations have been doing an amazing job at capturing the tone, not that the official print translations are bad.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Big mood:

Lube Enthusiast posted:

drat right I am, although I had to return volume 6 because its spine was broken. And on a related note, her short story anthology Seven Little Sons of the Dragons is also translated so make sure to pick that up too!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Beware the Sexy Elves

Glad to see Marcille and her wife happy

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I like laius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Laius has changed class from Fighter to Lord.