Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

Does his gold tooth make the "ting" sound when exposed to the sun?

Yes it does, my friend! You have good taste! Let me demo the voice control that won't understand my insanely thick accent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not having a car payment covers a lot of repair budget, way more than that Honda will ever need.

I had a loving VW with a turbo and it was cheaper to keep it on the road after 15 years than a new car payment. She just doesn't want to think about it. I'll talk her out of it when the time comes.

Her snow blower wouldn't start this year cause my dad never treats the gas before storing and wanted to buy a new one instead of paying a guy $75 to clean the carbs and give it an oil change.

I don't get it!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Is there some trick to getting a dealer to respond to emails? Going off of my recent experience, it seems like some version of "how much money do you want for this car?" is a recipe for ghosting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MickeyFinn posted:

Is there some trick to getting a dealer to respond to emails? Going off of my recent experience, it seems like some version of "how much money do you want for this car?" is a recipe for ghosting.
Find one that isn't poo poo.

Usually my experience has been "the price is fixed no haggle!" Or "well come on in for a drive and we can work it out".

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Find one that isn't poo poo.

Usually my experience has been "the price is fixed no haggle!" Or "well come on in for a drive and we can work it out".

Yeah, if this keeps up I'll probably just end up going to CarMax. At least they will actually sell me a car.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Emails rarely lead to selling a car so dealers don’t waste their time with them anymore.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Emails rarely lead to selling a car so dealers don’t waste their time with them anymore.

After 2 or 3 emails back and forth while they "look for the car I want" why not just respond with the price, then? I expected to be ignored by most dealers, and I was, but this is after I have received a response and they have sent me spec sheets because their websites are dog poo poo and don't just list the car and packages, they enumerate every dimension down to the 1/8" and the fact that the trunk will lock.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
In short, you aren’t their target customer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if a dealer actually has a decent BDC and focus on online sales you can do fine online, but it's easier for new cars than for used for whatever reason.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Find a dealer that uses the product like Roadster (I’m sure there are others) and you’re pretty set, as well.

https://roadster.com

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I arranged the purchase of my mom's new Volvo exclusively over email from a dealer that was 700+miles away. It all depends on the dealer... Some are old school "in-person only", some want phone calls, and more and more are good with email. I really like doing it over email because it removes the salesperson's ability to pressure you. You get time to think, do research, and talk things over before responding. Much lower stress IMHO.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I found our current vehicle in Louisiana (I live in MO) via AutoTrader, I emailed them an offer, got an acceptance the next day. I rented a car, drove down, took a test drive and took it to a mechanic I arranged ahead of time for an inspection, signed the paperwork and was all done.

Best car buying experience I've ever had.

However, it sounds like thats a pretty unique experience.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MickeyFinn posted:

Is it a local dealer? I've bought two new cars from dealers long distance and my tricks are:

1. Flat out tell them you're gonna buy car x but there aren't any locally or your local dealer is a shitbag so you're buying elsewhere but you're obviously shopping price because you can get it from one of a hundred different dealers.
2. Throw them a (potential) bone by saying that you've already got financing arranged through bank x but you're open to seeing if they can give you a better rate.

I bought my 2017 F-150 from 7 hours away, never saw it in person, never talked to a human, had it shipped up on a trailer, and got it for 6 grand cheaper than the local morons.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
I found a dealer that wanted to talk and after a few emails I get what is, according to Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book and True Car, a decent price. I think.

MSRP: $30,724.00
Car websites (what you should pay): $28,500 (True Car*), $29,300 (KBB), $30,200.00 (Edmunds)
What I paid: $28,800.00
Invoice: $28,500.00 (Edmunds) and $28,600.00 (KBB)

So, I figured it is time to buy and do it. I'm not the type of person who is really happy spending that much money, but I'm not unhappy either. Those numbers don't look too bad (relatively speaking).

I get to work this morning to find an email from another dealer for the exact same car (same VIN): $27,800.00. The person on the other side has Wednesday and Thursday off and her colleagues were supposed to return my emails but did not. If I wasn't busy this weekend, I'd take her up on her offer and show up at the dealer just to see what happens. Dealer sales tactics are so scummy that I wouldn't be surprised if this offer was either genuine or a bait and switch.

I did learn a number of things from this experience: (1) I'm surprisingly not mad about the $1000; (2) the "market value" prices on car websites probably serve the dealers more than customers; (3) my boss told me he goes in to dealers and pays MSRP because he doesn't want the hassle of negotiating.

*True Car doesn't have any packages available, so I have to use the cost of those packages from other websites with their base price.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord
Budget: As low as reasonably possible, 2-3k? Lower the better.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door, compactt, midsize
How will you be using the car?: To and from work once I hopefully land this job, doing things around town.
What aspects are most important to you?: working a/c & heating non-negotiable. possibly automatic transition but i'll learn manual if I have to.
You forgot to add a zero to the budget: My poopy 2002 toyota corolla got stolen and totaled at the worst possible time for me financially. Not getting a payout. Very likely that i'm going to have to take a personal loan to get a new car.

Will take advice, well-meaning but firm slaps behind the head for proposing a budget this small, any sort of wisdom when it comes to buying cars in the "no, really" budget range.

e: Cali, USA if my state makes any difference in the matter.

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 23, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

buglord posted:

Will take advice, well-meaning but firm slaps behind the head for proposing a budget this small, any sort of wisdom when it comes to buying cars in the "no, really" budget range.
You can get a used Chevy Spark for about 4k.

It won't be amazing but it'll be functional and made in this decade.

You can certainly go cheaper but, as the thread says, you're probably gonna be looking at a list of maintenance concerns that will get expensive.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

buglord posted:

How will you be using the car?: To and from work once I hopefully land this job, doing things around town.
What aspects are most important to you?: working a/c & heating non-negotiable. possibly automatic transition but i'll learn manual if I have to.
You forgot to add a zero to the budget: My poopy 2002 toyota corolla got stolen and totaled at the worst possible time for me financially. Not getting a payout. Very likely that i'm going to have to take a personal loan to get a new car.

Theres two ways of going about this. Ultra cheap - ie 1000-2000 where no matter what you pick, its going to have several problems and the tranny or other major components could potentially go at any time, or get a real loan and get something in the 5-6k range where its going to be likely much more safer and reliable. I don't know what your personal situation is like but if its feasible at all, you want to be in that second range.

Ultra Cheap
Buick Century's from around 2000 /Buick LeSabre
Any Civic
Any Corolla
Crown Vic / Towncars
Any 90s lexus
Jetta

Stuff like

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Semi-Cheap
2013+ Impala
2010+ Civic
2009+ Corolla
Newer model Forte
Newer model Elantra

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...kType=spotlight

These will all last 5+ years and be immensely safer while doing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At that budget, make and model recommendations are pretty loose, other than avoiding anything German. Condition will matter more than anything else.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Any major issues with roughly 2015 lexus gs350s or the gs450h (besides being rare as poo poo)?
I mean, it is a mid cycle Lexus, so I would assume solid as gently caress but you never know.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nm posted:

Any major issues with roughly 2015 lexus gs350s or the gs450h (besides being rare as poo poo)?
I mean, it is a mid cycle Lexus, so I would assume solid as gently caress but you never know.

It's a fine car

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

buglord posted:

Good suggestions posted already. How mobile are you, right now, without a car? Public transport, a friend or friends to drive you around car shopping?

Personal broke car anecdote: I moved to Canada (BC) in 2017 and had a week and $2000 to find something reasonably trustworthy as I was about to drive 2000km into the absolute rear end end of nowhere (like, four hours from the nearest 'city' of 4000 people rear end end of nowhere) and my personal solution (also used to buy my last car in the UK, a 20 year old £250 Skoda, which was awful but happily chugged along completely maintenance-free for two years) was this:

# completely ignore dealerships (YMMV greatly depending on your mobility);

# shop for a particular kind of seller, not a particular car. this is more or less hard to do depending on where exactly you are and can be interesting (and a bit creepy); Vancouver is probably the best place in the world for it as a quarter of the population at any given time is going home to Europe or Australia next week and need to get rid of whatever bizarre but, generally, maintained pile of crap they've been vacationing in for the last year. anyway: spend an evening browsing private ads, craigslist, facebook, whatever is used locally. half a dozen different cars photographed in the same underground parking spot? don't touch any of those. really look at and think hard about the writing style in the ads; after a couple of hours you'll start to spot the dodgy backyard traders. google sellers' phone numbers and see what turns up. find their house and look for the car on streetview. was it there in 2009? generally a decent sign. stalk them on facebook etc. there's no template good person to buy from but if they seem like a shithead odds are their car is probably bad news.

# given that, prioritize cars normal people find repulsive. IME the 2002 Corolla for $1500 is actually more likely to have something lethally wrong with it than the $1500 Buick but it's all luck of the draw (or, rather, luck of the inspection) at this point.

# google common issues with whatever you're going to look at and then even if you're broke and risk-tolerant enough to skip the 'take the car to a mechanic' step (ideally don't, but...) you'll get a bunch of things to look out for. worst case scenario, you have no money, so you're going to be more personally thorough to compensate. get under the car and look for leaks, broken things, sharp edges. if the person's owned the car for a while, did they put decent tyres on it or the cheapest chinese ditchfinders?

# don't buy anything you haven't driven for at least long enough to warm everything up.

I ended up with a poop brown 99 Malibu for... $1400? It was worn, rattled, smelled a bit weird and needed new tyres but the transmission was behaving and the kid I bought it from was happy to sit around for half an hour talking my ear off about all the stuff that was wrong with it because he was so thrilled to find an actual normal person interested in buying it. his exhaustive list was accurate (I went in, around and under the car and checked), none of it was the end of the world and the only thing that I had to fix in the first 30000km was the starter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

buglord posted:

How far is work and "around town"? What kind of things are you doing around town?

If the answer is "not far" and the things you do around town don't exceed "light grocery shopping," your budget makes getting a cheap moped and a motorcycle permit probably the best idea financially.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Working AC as a non-negotiable and suggesting a motorcycle seems...not right

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I totally missed that part. But hey, if you drive fast enough, it's a non-issue, right? :v:

gwaarrk
Jun 17, 2008
I have gotten to a point in my life I can ask myself why not get a luxury car for my next car?
Budget $70,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door sedan
How you will be using the car: Daily driver
What aspects are most important to you?: Well it's a luxury car so I want a nice ride, Top speed or 0-60 does not have to be some insane number I'm not some speed freak that has to go fast.

The one I'm eyeing is a Mercedes E class. What I'm wondering is how bad is the maintenance cost on it and reliability? I am open to other suggestions other than BMW's I've known a couple of people with them and they had nothing but problems.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're not a brand snob, you can basically max out a Genesis G90 for that budget. They were just refreshed, and while they're not quite an S Class or 8 series, they're not far off.

Also, they have the best wheels.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

gwaarrk posted:

I have gotten to a point in my life I can ask myself why not get a luxury car for my next car?
Budget $70,000
What aspects are most important to you?: Well it's a luxury car so I want a nice ride, Top speed or 0-60 does not have to be some insane number I'm not some speed freak that has to go fast.

The one I'm eyeing is a Mercedes E class. What I'm wondering is how bad is the maintenance cost on it and reliability? I am open to other suggestions other than BMW's I've known a couple of people with them and they had nothing but problems.

How long do you plan on keeping the car?

I’m a big fan of leasing fancy German cars, not as big a fan on keeping them past factory warranty unless you can do your own work on them.

Also can you help narrow things down with some preferences? Size?

How many miles a year do you drive?

How do feel about something like a Lexus GS?

My local Benz dealer charges 179 for the A service and 399 for the B service. A is done at 10k miles and b every 20. B includes everything done in A. New MB’s have a 10k service interval

10k-A
20k-B
30k-A
40k-B etc.

Other maintenance costs will be more expensive on average if you have the car dealer serviced.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 29, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gwaarrk posted:

Budget $70,000

E Class is a truly remarkable car and a great choice. It really depends what your focus is for the car

Benz - Luxury and style
BMW - sports minded
Audi - Style, safety and slightly more reliable than other germans

Lexus - much more reliable and lower cost to own
Acura - inbetween Lexus/Audi . Less brand prestige

Genesis - no brand prestige, but great value for a new car. For 60,000 you get the car spec'd out how the Benz at 75,000 would be.

Personally I'd say Audi/Benz if you want the best experience for the next few years, but if you want to keep it more than 5 years, get a Lexus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I really don't think Merc is that luxurious, even on their top models. Mercedes is about having a booming sledgehammer of a V8.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

If you're not a brand snob, you can basically max out a Genesis G90 for that budget. They were just refreshed, and while they're not quite an S Class or 8 series, they're not far off.

Also, they have the best wheels.

Has hyundai fixed the dealer issues?

gwaarrk
Jun 17, 2008
After doing some more research and talking to a friend of a friend who used to sell used Mercedes he echo's the whole yeah they are great when under warranty and I'm the type to keep cars for a while (coming up on 9 years on my Taurus) they can get expensive to repair. I think I will save some money and get a Lexus which are a bit more known to me. Got my eye on a ES F sport. Thanks for the replies

nm
Jan 28, 2008

gwaarrk posted:

After doing some more research and talking to a friend of a friend who used to sell used Mercedes he echo's the whole yeah they are great when under warranty and I'm the type to keep cars for a while (coming up on 9 years on my Taurus) they can get expensive to repair. I think I will save some money and get a Lexus which are a bit more known to me. Got my eye on a ES F sport. Thanks for the replies

ESs are basically for the retirement home set. Fancy camry/avalon. Look at an IS or GS.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

nm posted:

Has hyundai fixed the dealer issues?

Ha ha ha ha.

No.

Unless you are in Canada, where there is a no dealer strategy that might actually work, things have gotten much worse. I wanted to stay with Genesis but they basically nuked the dealers and are starting over.

Great car. Incredible value. Hard to have a decent buying experience. Even harder to get service. If you do get one, get the V8. The TTV6 is a boatload of trouble and is decidedly unfun.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Ha ha ha ha.

No.

Unless you are in Canada, where there is a no dealer strategy that might actually work, things have gotten much worse. I wanted to stay with Genesis but they basically nuked the dealers and are starting over.

Great car. Incredible value. Hard to have a decent buying experience. Even harder to get service. If you do get one, get the V8. The TTV6 is a boatload of trouble and is decidedly unfun.

My dad has been shopping slightly used luxury vehicles lately to replace his quarter million mile m35. He has an actual good Infiniti dealer, but Infinitis today just suck outloud. He only does dealer service and has the financial ability to not really care that a dealer costs more, as long as they make it easy, give him a loaner, and just make things easy. Whatever. I know a fair number of wealthy people who want this in both new and used cars. Hyundai can't hit this market without pulling a true Lexus and getting their own dealers with dealer agreements with teeth.
Like MBZs break all the time and are expensive as poo poo to fix out of warranty, but rich old dudes don't really care as long as you make it easy and don't try to rip them off. (Like they're cool with inflated rates and part prices, but don't loving try to sell a new 100kmi belt every 20k mi). VW hosed this us too.
My dad would be the perfect genesis buyer, maybe even a new one, but yeah, he's not dealing with a hyundai dealer for service.
I can't imagine how the loving new equus, which I bet will bust 100k, will sell anything here.
He's basically decided to push it to 300k because the GS350 seemed kind of meh (he wouldn't get anything newer than a 2015 because that grill) and he doesn't want to deal with a german car breaking all the time. Also he had an Audi once, and despite knowing a high up exec in the dealer chain fairly well, they kept trying to gently caress him over, even after the high up dealer dude go involved. They fixed one issue and then tried to pull the same poo poo 6 mo later.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's a new Equus? I thought the G90 WAS the new Equus?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

It is, sort of. There isn’t an Equus nameplate in North America. Maybe elsewhere the G90 goes by a different name?

But it’s true, you need a different experience to get the buyers. But very few dealers wanted to sign up to build a new building and well that’s why there are so few left. I’m sure it’s more complicated than that. Heck, I had Hyundai and a Genesis Corp people who wanted to help and a new 2020 G90 was just not going to happen.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KillHour posted:

I hate why they change names. There was a really long wheelbase genesis with lots of rear seat stuff at the car show I went to yesterday with price TBD. Guess it is the refresh of the g90?

Also, I hate these loving naming systems where everything is Gxx or Qxxx or whatever.
I guess I forgive it on Audi because they've done it so far, but if the first digit of your numbered car doesn't tell me poo poo, that's dumb.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

Hyundai can't hit this market without pulling a true Lexus and getting their own dealers with dealer agreements with teeth.

The Toyota dealership I bought the land cruiser from is just so downmarket and poo poo compared to the lexus dealership, right next door and owned by the same group, that I would have bought the lexus version if I was the kind of person who did dealer service. We had one warranty claim and one service (part of the sale was agreeing to update the nav) on the LC and it was pretty awful. I can't imagine anyone spending $70+k on a non-pickup are going to want to deal with that kind of poo poo.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Proposed Budget: 27k exclusive of TTL
Body Style: Sedan/Hatch/Crossover
How will you be using the car?: I've got two kids, one with a booster and one with a car seat. We basically use it to haul them around to classes and grocery shopping. I have an SUV for hauling big things around or big trips, but wouldn't mind having a second as our SUV is pretty old too..
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and low maintenance. I used to have a 2009 Corolla and all I did was change the oil, change filters, and tire maintenance for 100k of it's life. I miss that simplicity now that I have kids. Beyond that, MPG is important too. I just want something that will last me 10 years.

FWIW I'm strongly considering a wide range of cars..I'd like to limit it a bit:

Honda Fit (for reliability/compactness)
Honda Clarity (for MPG)
Subaru Forester (heard good things about it, but also bad things about the Boxer engine..)
Toyota Rav4
Toyota Corolla Hybrid

Also a couple of Mazdas, but with our Mazda5 taking a massive poo poo in the past 6 months and the reason why I need to buy a new car I'm probably taking them off the list soon:
Mazda3 Hatchback
Mazda CX-9

My #1 pick right now is the Fit given it's small and gets decent MPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I feel the Fit would be tight with a car seat.

Take a look at the various Hyundai and Kia hatches?