Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

Kenshin kinda runs up against it. After beating social Darwinist Shishio, the kid sidekick in his gang is like “you beat him so your ideology must be stronger!” and Kenshin is like “no, dummy, that logic was the basis for his ideology. I’m just a better swordsman. Nobody proved anything today.”

That is one of my favorite scenes in all of anime and I clipped it not too long ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5zY4SJ9kL0

This exchange always stuck with me ever since I was little. It seems so simple now but really that's mostly because I spend a lot of my time reading actual philosophy these days. Truth is, not enough regular shows ever have a moment like this. It is good that our heroes defeated the villain but the fact they won a fight isn't why they are good. The battle itself proves nothing. Light Yagami of all people invoked this when he said if Kira won he was Justice and if he lost he was a monster. Well he lost but that had zero bearing on how monstrous he was.

Too many series act like the righteous prevailing shows something, that the protagonist beating the villain invalidates what the villain fought for. They need moments like this where a younger character, troubled by confusion and guilt over having witnessed how human and even somewhat noble his opponents were, tries to assuage their conscience with this false ideal of victory = good. War is a complicated thing and nothing is more natural than trying to dumb it down. But then an older, wiser character corrects them. There are no easy answers. The people you fought and maybe even killed are still people and it's fine to mourn for them. But never think that your triumph has any bearing on how right you were or how wrong they were.

Omnicrom posted:

You could maybe argue that, but know that the setting and the circumstances of those characters are different from Amuro, Kira, et. al.

Firstly neither Rurouni Kenshin nor Trigun is set during a war, whereas Gundam very explicitly is, thus their refusal to kill is not tied so directly into a broader theory of combat. In terms of personal missions I can't speak to Vash since it's been ages since I watched Trigun (and I never read the manga), but Kenshin is explicitly fighting the way he is as an act of penance for the lives he took during the violent years of the Bakumatsu. Moreover the series spends a lot of time pointing out that Kenshin is going through hell on a quest for penance, that his penance is basically impossible to attain, and that a lot of other people are dealing with the fallout of the conflict in their own way and that Kenshin's path is merely one of many for good or ill and may not even be the best or most moral path.

Basically a technically pacifistic fighter looks different in Gundam than from other series because the broader context and setting in Gundam. It may well be a valid point to level at Kenshin or Vash or whoever, but it doesn't correlate one-to-one.

Fair points , thanks for the reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair most Gundam factions (including often the 'good guys') haven't met a war crime they don't like.

True, but most of them at least try to pretend they have standards. Rustal exemplifies it, but you see it with Zeon and even the Titans, the reluctance to commit war crimes without at least a fig leaf of a defense, or attempts to pretend they didn't happen after.

CE doesn't have so much of that. It's more straightforwardly genocidal. Even by Gundam standards it's a horrible place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSedan posted:

So I’ve “watched” Zeta at least twice now and Its bores me to the point of barely paying attention by the end. What the heck was Scirrocos goal? I remember him trying to assassinate the Titans leader like, twice. They just gave him the most powerful battleship they have because...?

Late in the series, Jamitov reveals that the Titans were actually a massive false flag operation, designed to cripple and discredit the Federation by dragging it into an unwinnable, hideously expensive war on terror. The idea was that this would trigger a mass exodus to space, and hopefully a general Newtype awakening as humanity became a spaceborne species. Scirocco was his most valuable ally, a superb pilot and engineer and, most importantly, a powerful Newtype whose existence validated his goals. The catch was that Scirocco had his own ambitions - he wanted to hijack Jamitov's plan and put himself (or, to be more precise, a puppet-queen of his choosing) in charge of the new interplanetary empire. Intriguingly, another man from Jupiter, Fonse Kagatie, was born in the year Scirocco died, and eventually set up his own spacenoid empire with a Newtype puppet-queen that came to rule most of the solar system after the Federation's near-total collapse.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

Intriguingly, another man from Jupiter, Fonse Kagatie, was born in the year Scirocco died, and eventually set up his own spacenoid empire with a Newtype puppet-queen that came to rule most of the solar system after the Federation's near-total collapse.

This is just proof that absolutely nothing good can come out of Jupiter.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

You could maybe argue that, but know that the setting and the circumstances of those characters are different from Amuro, Kira, et. al.

Firstly neither Rurouni Kenshin nor Trigun is set during a war, whereas Gundam very explicitly is, thus their refusal to kill is not tied so directly into a broader theory of combat. In terms of personal missions I can't speak to Vash since it's been ages since I watched Trigun (and I never read the manga), but Kenshin is explicitly fighting the way he is as an act of penance for the lives he took during the violent years of the Bakumatsu. Moreover the series spends a lot of time pointing out that Kenshin is going through hell on a quest for penance, that his penance is basically impossible to attain, and that a lot of other people are dealing with the fallout of the conflict in their own way and that Kenshin's path is merely one of many for good or ill and may not even be the best or most moral path.

Basically a technically pacifistic fighter looks different in Gundam than from other series because the broader context and setting in Gundam. It may well be a valid point to level at Kenshin or Vash or whoever, but it doesn't correlate one-to-one.

Let's also not forget that Coordinators may or may not have been responsible for an attack of bioterrorism what with the incurable superflu that ravaged the planet but somehow didn't ever infect Coordinators and also cropped up almost immediately following the assassination of George Glenn. Even if the S2 Influenza pandemic wasn't a deliberate act of terrorism it was yet another source of tension and bad blood between Natural and Coordinator. The Cosmic Era had been gearing up for a hell war since long before the Bloody Valentine, that was just the starting pistol on the grisly affair.

And starving/freezing the planet by cutting off access to nuclear power, don't forget that.

CE is really just Gundam stripped of any subtlety, which is at least some part of why I've grown to dislike it so much.

(That and batteries. What a dumb loving idea)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Gundam already is Gundam stripped of any subtlety.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ManSedan posted:

So I’ve “watched” Zeta at least twice now and Its bores me to the point of barely paying attention by the end. What the heck was Scirrocos goal? I remember him trying to assassinate the Titans leader like, twice. They just gave him the most powerful battleship they have because...?

You reminded me that I needed to continue my rewatch and not get distracted by things like watching Gundam X or G Gundam. And Kamille loving drives me batshit.

Does anyone have a super cut of people beating the poo poo out of Kamille?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

I believe this is the central thesis of Crossbone Gundam as well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It says something when the one Jupiter in Gundam where you might want to live is the one run by the Space Yakuza.

Honestly, it looked pretty nice, assuming you aren't caught up in a gang war.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Warmachine posted:

That said, it is very extra that they didn't just... attach the binder to a regular Zaku. They gave the motherfucker a new paint job and ambulance lights.

I will always appreciate that while SEED/Destiny always makes the CE look like a hopeless, melodramatic poo poo world to live in when you get down to it, Astray is like "nah, these fuckers in this universe are just insane" with it comes to extra zany poo poo like Ambulance Zakus, junk ships carrying 150meter katanas, or a Photographer Gundam.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blaze Dragon posted:

:wrong:

Gump, technically

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Blaze Dragon posted:

The True GN Drives? And the ELS seem fine, once we got past that bumpy first contact.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

iospace posted:

:wrong:

Gump, technically
He didn't start there

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I mean, Mars also seems like a bad choice in Gundam too. Not as bad as Jupiter but still probably a bad ides.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Zone of the Enders.

Different franchise, but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Zone of the Enders.

Different franchise, but still.

Jupiter is literally a hell planet whose moons are full of evil space metal in ZoE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Jupiter is literally a hell planet whose moons are full of evil space metal in ZoE

Isn't Metatron from Mars?

Huh, well I guess Jupiter is cursed.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

A small hand-painted road sign, floating about 200,000km before Ganymede:

Welcome to sleepy JUPITER
-ATTEMPT NO LANDING-
Twinned with Hellworld D55X and Bruges

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

The guy who relies on it without being intolerable is Loran in Turn A, who's helped a lot by how almost nobody actually knows how to fight.

It's also helped both by the fact that the conflict in Turn A is very specifically not a war for a good portion of the show, and instead Loran/Dianna/Kihel etc are trying to prevent things from escalating in to a full blown war while promoting the occasional peace talks and that Loran does in fact miss and kill someone by accident at one point. Which he may not have even realized, because we don't see him react to it. Gym is the one who states that the data says the Turn A's pilot was trying for a non-lethal shot after someone is very definitely killed.

NikkolasKing posted:

This is an interesting criticism I've never thought of before. I wonder if it can be applied to somebody like Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin or Vash from Trigun.

I haven't seen Kenshin to comment on that, but I wouldn't level that criticism at Trigun at the very least, because Trigun takes a lot of time to establish and explore Vash's stance on violence in various ways that SEED never does with Kira. Kira just uses the Freedom to disable because he can, and that's kind of it. Until he doesn't have to, in which case he'll kill. He never makes any conscious or explicit decision to be a pacifist, no-one in the show ever challenges him on it in any meaningful way and he shows no reaction when he does have to switch from non-lethal to lethal. As opposed to Trigun, where Vash is demonstrably torn up when Legato challenges his ideals later in the show and is shown to visibly suffer for keeping to them, both physically and emotionally.

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 19, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Vash has been suffering for his ideals a lot longer than facing off with Legato Bluesummers. It's the whole point of showing off the fact he's got a body riddled with nasty scars - He got so good at what he does the hard way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was only when Legato appeared that his ideals were challenged or that Vash hadn't had to work for them before that point; just that Legato was the most prominent challenge to those ideals, and his appearance marked a change in the show's focus, narrowing in a lot more on that facet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I mean, Mars also seems like a bad choice in Gundam too. Not as bad as Jupiter but still probably a bad ides.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Can't be worse than Gunnm Mars.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Anshu posted:

I haven't seen anything SEED, so I can't dispute that, but we paint our hospital units in bright, identifiable red-and-white for that exact reason in the modern day. I believe it's a war crime to fire on marked hospital units.
Blue Cosmos is hilariously evil and goes far out of their way to make casualties to their enemy even if it will end them, even by Gundam standards.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gally in a SRW with Seed would actually own a lot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zedd posted:

Blue Cosmos is hilariously evil and goes far out of their way to make casualties to their enemy even if it will end them, even by Gundam standards.

Yeah, Blue Cosmos - the faction that basically runs the Earth Alliance circa SEED Destiny - is so bent on genocidal annihilation that their go-to strategy is literally "fire nuclear weapons at civilian colonies", to the point that in Destiny ZAFT deploys a weapon whose sole purpose is to detonate nukes in mid-flight before they can reach their target because they were waiting for Blue Cosmos to try to nuke them again.

If anything, painting a hospital in noticeable colors would only make most Blue Cosmos dudes go "hell yeah, that place is full of coordinators who won't be able to run or fight back".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kanos posted:

Yeah, Blue Cosmos - the faction that basically runs the Earth Alliance circa SEED Destiny - is so bent on genocidal annihilation that their go-to strategy is literally "fire nuclear weapons at civilian colonies", to the point that in Destiny ZAFT deploys a weapon whose sole purpose is to detonate nukes in mid-flight before they can reach their target because they were waiting for Blue Cosmos to try to nuke them again.

If anything, painting a hospital in noticeable colors would only make most Blue Cosmos dudes go "hell yeah, that place is full of coordinators who won't be able to run or fight back".

ZAFT ain't much better considering they deployed GENESIS and shot at least one civilian target with it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cello girl died so many times

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

ZAFT ain't much better considering they deployed GENESIS and shot at least one civilian target with it

Or the N-Jammer barrage on Earth.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah ZAFT was literally about to wipe out all human life on Earth with one or two shots of GENESIS, they're just as nuts.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MechaX posted:

Yeah ZAFT was literally about to wipe out all human life on Earth with one or two shots of GENESIS, they're just as nuts.

To be fair, poo poo really started rolling only after Patrick Zala (an overt Coordinator supremacist) became chairman. Before that, it was far more low key than the Alliance's connection to Blue Cosmos.

The chain of aggression absolutely started with Naturals, but poo poo rapidly escalates to mutual genocide.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And of course at least some of this was engineered by Rau. He's got that Kefka thing going on where I'm not quit sure if this was always his plan or if he just stumbled into being at the right place at the right time.

SEED reminded me a lot of Wing insofar as, by the end, both the big factions were plainly evil so our heroes were off being part of the only good faction.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

And of course at least some of this was engineered by Rau. He's got that Kefka thing going on where I'm not quit sure if this was always his plan or if he just stumbled into being at the right place at the right time.

SEED reminded me a lot of Wing insofar as, by the end, both the big factions were plainly evil so our heroes were off being part of the only good faction.

SEED is almost the complete opposite of Wing, in that by the end of Wing, the people in charge both planned to die while waging a war so terrible that humanity would never want to war again. A major thing for both Treize and Zechs is they're disgusted by the fact that war is being turned into a game, by turning it into a proxy via Mobile Dolls, because their point is very important in that it's "Don't wage war for stupid loving reasons, if you're going to kill someone, you better make sure you have a good reason to do it. By removing the cost of war (that is, death), you turn war into a game anyone can do for no reason.

Whereas the end of SEED is both sides are going "gently caress YEAH! GENOCIDE!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Onmi posted:

SEED is almost the complete opposite of Wing, in that by the end of Wing, the people in charge both planned to die while waging a war so terrible that humanity would never want to war again. A major thing for both Treize and Zechs is they're disgusted by the fact that war is being turned into a game, by turning it into a proxy via Mobile Dolls, because their point is very important in that it's "Don't wage war for stupid loving reasons, if you're going to kill someone, you better make sure you have a good reason to do it. By removing the cost of war (that is, death), you turn war into a game anyone can do for no reason.

Intent and motive does matter - and I honestly always got the vague feeling Zechs and Treize intended to be stopped. The Colony Drop was j ust to scare everybody a lot. But the actual leader of the White Fang (Quinze?) was surely a genocidal nut. He was all for the original Operation Meteor, I think? I haven't seen EW in a while.

And whatever their intentions, genocide would have been the result. That's why the Wing Boys were on their own side. They also wanted to put a stop to war but Treizes's and Zechs' scheme was obviously unacceptable. So I agree it is different in that the motives of the Wing and SEED major factions are different, the tiny hero factions in Wing and SEED are still the same since they defect from the major factions due to those factions going beyond the pale.

That was my interpretation anyway. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ah yes, the Bian Zoldark school of leadership.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It’s like Hank Hill catching Bobby with a cigarette.

“You know, son, you won’t think that robot is cool once you’ve blown up a whole carton of them.”

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

It’s like Hank Hill catching Bobby with a cigarette.

“You know, son, you won’t think that robot is cool once you’ve blown up a whole carton of them.”

Hey, worked for Al Izuruha.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Onmi posted:

Ehhh kind of? Patrick Zala was wildly pro-genocide on account of his wife's murder at the hands of the Earth Alliance, but there was enough internal dissent about it that he was murdered by his own men for trying to push the genocide button. I don't think ZAFT as a whole in the original SEED was really on board the "literally murder all naturals" train like the EA was on board the "literally murder all coordinators" train.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Anything I should know about Super Robot Wars V? My only experience with the series was the super grindy one on the GBA that came out in the States years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Upgrading breaks the game