Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

By popular demand posted:

Plus you get a nice free pile of firewood out of it.

Yeah, but you'd think they'd rather have a functional roof on their house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Motronic posted:

Thanks. I hate taking any of them down, but as you can see the one coming out has almost no leaves on it. We've got a very bad emerald ash borer infestation around here and I'm doing what I can to save them, but not all of them are gonna make it. And it's super dangerous to leave 60 ft dead trees standing.

Ash borers are terrible. They killed all the ash trees in our neighborhood probably a decade or so ago, but a lot of the dead trees are still standing. We had to get the neighbor to cut his down after it started shedding branches. When they did cut it down it hit the ground and just shattered because it was rotten almost all the way through. Was about 50’ tall and would have hit my house if it fell. As it was his crew had to repair our fence after a couple of larger branches broke off and hit it on the way down.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Plus you get a nice free pile of firewood out of it.

In this case it *was* the house, though.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, but you'd think they'd rather have a functional roof on their house.

F: beaten.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

That sounds complicated, is there one that starts at the bottom and just lets it free-fall into a huge wood chipper?

that's called a colony of beavers

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ashcans posted:

That sounds complicated, is there one that starts at the bottom and just lets it free-fall into a huge wood chipper?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Those logging machines are so drat cool

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

canyoneer posted:

Those logging machines are so drat cool

The legs make them just terrifying.

Motronic posted:

Thanks. I hate taking any of them down, but as you can see the one coming out has almost no leaves on it. We've got a very bad emerald ash borer infestation around here and I'm doing what I can to save them, but not all of them are gonna make it. And it's super dangerous to leave 60 ft dead trees standing.

I'd be sitting on my porch, watching them every evening.

Probably with a rocking chair and a corncob pipe.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
They use this helicopter saw on the trees along the high-tension lines that run through my town. Its fascinating/terrifying to watch.

https://youtu.be/7i8o1uA6330

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKg0gbRFns

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

They use this helicopter saw on the trees along the high-tension lines that run through my town. Its fascinating/terrifying to watch.

What about the quality of the cutting? This is brutal, seems to have no regard for the health of the tree! What about cutting to growth points? Preventing unnecessary scar damage that can lead to disease? Obviously no an arborist!!!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Ash borers are terrible. They killed all the ash trees in our neighborhood probably a decade or so ago, but a lot of the dead trees are still standing. We had to get the neighbor to cut his down after it started shedding branches. When they did cut it down it hit the ground and just shattered because it was rotten almost all the way through. Was about 50’ tall and would have hit my house if it fell. As it was his crew had to repair our fence after a couple of larger branches broke off and hit it on the way down.

The one I took down that still leafed out maybe 50% of it's canopy this year (which is well understood to no longer be viable to save) looked like this at the bottom.......it's was still "alive"and it's this bad:

I re-certed my long expired state pesticide license and am working with the local ag extension to treat these things as well as other trees for the loving spotted lantern flies. We've got a serious invasive species problem going on right now around here.

FYI for scale, that's a 40" ash trunk.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 20, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Grandpaw's ol' fleshlight looking rough.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

value-brand cereal posted:

Grandpaw's ol' fleshlight looking rough.

Still wood

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s beautiful.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canyoneer posted:

Still wood
Not if it's windy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Water and sewer hooked up. Unfortunately due to their location, I couldn't separate them as per code. However, my county does not enforce inspections on anything less than a 3 family dwelling. So gently caress it, we're doing it live.

https://imgur.com/a/TIrcxMr

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pretty sure an eccentric fairy tail witch lives here.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Son of Grover?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kinda makes a redneck single-wide look good by comparison.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/dyvj3u/so_i_messed_up_bad_real_bad_one_more_warning_to/

Man pulverizes asbestos and the ventilation system spreads it everywhere in his family's home

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Better learn how to pronounce mesothelioma.

:stonk:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Kinda makes a redneck single-wide look good by comparison.

That's the thing that's had me LoL'ing through this entire "tiny home" fad. A single-wide trailer is basically a "tiny home" if you didn't start off the "adventure" of living in a "tiny home" as somebody in their early 20's. Living in a "tiny home" is literally no different than "living in your parents Camper." At least when you live in a single-wide you know where you're going to sleep every night and you have plumbing so you can shower and poo poo! Unlike a "Tiny home" (aka RV,)

These people are only pretending showering and making GBS threads is an OK thing to do every few days because of the YouTube income. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYR6GPmDzVM

Off screen they're puking from the smell. They are absolutely getting elbow deep in their own poo poo on a regular basis.

How to poo poo in a "composting toilet" according to this video:

Step 1: poo poo in a bucket

Step 2: ?

Step 3: dump the poo poo bucket into a bag and try not to spill any on yourself. Oh, and good luck finding some place to drop your bag of poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYR6GPmDzVM&t=238s

"Boy, I sure do wish I could get elbow deep in my own poo poo rather than have it go down the drain!" Said no one

These people are living in half trailer homes, with worse layouts. Many of them are too god drat dumb to realize it.
They're literally begging for zoning regulations that would let them park their "tiny homes."

A lot of them don't realize they're literally asking for a trailer park. Somewhere they can park their "tiny home." You know, next to all the other folks that live in "tiny homes." Say, in a park. A park full of tiny homes. Tiny homes that got towed to the park on a trailer. One could even call it a ~~trailer park~~ place to park tiny homes on trailers!

We should allow more areas be zoned for trailer parks and we should let more people build their "tiny homes" on those lots. We also should let those "tiny home" dumbfucks expand their homes into a useable floorspace, with an actual, flushable toilet, once they grow up.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Better learn how to pronounce mesothelioma.

:stonk:

I've watched enough over-the-air tv that pronouncing "mesothelioma" is easier to pronounce than my own name.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

okay sorry, maybe I'm blind, but there is a second pipe there, right

like they mean "we couldn't separate them" as in "we couldn't lay the two separate pipes the appropriate distance apart" and not as in "we couldn't get two separate pipes"

... right?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

okay sorry, maybe I'm blind, but there is a second pipe there, right

like they mean "we couldn't separate them" as in "we couldn't lay the two separate pipes the appropriate distance apart" and not as in "we couldn't get two separate pipes"

... right?

Yeah.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Motronic posted:

I re-certed my long expired state pesticide license and am working with the local ag extension to treat these things as well as other trees for the loving spotted lantern flies. We've got a serious invasive species problem going on right now around here.

These fuckers basically forced my hand to get a big ol' silver maple chopped down. They would hang out all day and gorge themselves on the maple sap excreting 'honeydew' (sticky sugar sap poo poo) on anything under the tree.
I've noticed that with all the 'smash' campaigns where people try to remove the infestations and egg pods, that natural selection seems to have selected for lantern flies that lay their eggs near the top of trees, where they can't be treated easily.

Rest of the non-Pennsylvania US: Remember when we were telling you about how stinkbugs suck and you didn't yet know what they are... get ready to meet these things in a few years.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

stealie72 posted:

This seems inefficient, they should just sharpen the rotors and fly upside down.

That absolutely doesn't look like it's buried at a sufficient depth to protect against a hard winter frost. Drop those pipes at least 1.5m deep even if you're insulating them, just to be on the safe side, or at minimum 1m. It might just be perspective, but that looks like it's at most 0.6m or thereabouts. First real winter they get, that poo poo is going to pop like a grape someone squeezed too hard unless they keep the water running inside at all times.

not to mention the lol-worthy part that's going to be permanently exposed outside on the overhang. Enjoy your frost-burst pipes, jackasses.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 20, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

This seems inefficient, they should just sharpen the rotors and fly upside down.

That absolutely doesn't look like it's buried at a sufficient depth to protect against a hard winter frost. Drop those pipes at least 1.5m deep even if you're insulating them, just to be on the safe side, or at minimum 1m. It might just be perspective, but that looks like it's at most 0.6m or thereabouts. First real winter they get, that poo poo is going to pop like a grape someone squeezed too hard unless they keep the water running inside at all times.

not to mention the lol-worthy part that's going to be permanently exposed outside on the overhang. Enjoy your frost-burst pipes, jackasses.

In the gallery he makes some modifications to enclose the water lines and jam a 6 gallon water heater into the box. Also has a wall mounted ventless propane heater that is totally not rated for anywhere people actually sleep. There is snow on the ground in one of the photos but not sure where they are in relation to the frost line. The best part about the whole thing is it was actually an addition to a friends house, who couldn't afford the land contract, so they literally ripped it out and moved it onto a spare slab.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

MisterOblivious posted:

[Tiny House Rant]

You do realise that the Tiny House Movement is and was a way to minimize housing costs, right? Like you're railing against poor people for not being able to afford homes?

Yeah they suck, but you can build a tiny house for under $20k (assuming you can do the skilled labor of carpentry and electric yourself) and transport it yourself, then park them three to a traditional trailer lot and end up paying under $300/mo for what is effectively a shittier studio apartment. With the massively overinflated housing market costs that's less than you'd pay for half a bedroom in a shared living arrangement here in sunny Orlando.

The fad was lovely, yes, because it was just an exercise for the extremely rich, like next-level glamping, but Tiny Houses fill a legitimate need and the only reason they were so popular in the early 2010s is because we were in an employment crisis and people were working 3 jobs just to get 40 hours a week at ~$10/hr. Now that those times seem to be over people aren't talking about Tiny Houses as much anymore.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Tiny homes are also generally better constructed then your traditional travel trailer or single/double wide. Everything in a mobile home or RV is made as cheap and flimsy as possible, with the occasional lipstick of granite countertops or hardwood cabinetry.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Suspect Bucket posted:

Tiny homes are also generally better constructed then your traditional travel trailer or single/double wide.

You saw that last post, right?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Yooper posted:

In the gallery he makes some modifications to enclose the water lines and jam a 6 gallon water heater into the box.

Sure hope he knows how to do insulation work well.

That poo poo wouldn't pass muster in Denmark, and my understanding is that many parts of the US get way harsher winters than we do.

Yooper posted:

Also has a wall mounted ventless propane heater that is totally not rated for anywhere people actually sleep.

In a tiny space that probably has garbage ventilation to begin with. Real galaxy brain move.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Who bought my dad an account?

The tiny house shows started running at the same time my parents were shopping for an RV, and they faithfully hate-watched every one. They got really sad when the format switched over from "I've never built a thing in my life, but I'm constructing a house on this flatbed" to prefab stuff.

They've since found some show about homesteaders attempting to live off the grid to fill the void.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Sure hope he knows how to do insulation work well.

That poo poo wouldn't pass muster in Denmark, and my understanding is that many parts of the US get way harsher winters than we do.

I'm fairly far north and we have to bury poo poo at least a meter and a half down, if not more. Even at that when we get a harsh winter it's not uncommon to see the city come through with a transformer and turn the waterlines into electric heaters. Gotta sign a waiver first in case the city accidentally melts your waterlines though...

You totally see Coleman 40 ft X 10 ft trailer homes from the 70's with people occupying them. The original tiny house. They are usually in terrible condition and once that person dies they literally cave in on themselves. I'd hate to see what some of these tiny houses, regardless of the original intent, will look like in 30 years with a complete lack of construction oversight.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Amusingly the city is outside right now taking down a 1940's or older (potentially 1900) oak tree from our neighbors yard. Shame to see it go but it was definitely dead. Failed to leaf out enough 2 years in a row. It had a multifoot diameter trunk. They're going top down with a dude in a cherry picker with a chainsaw for now.

Thankfully the city replants all city owned trees so they will get a new something but I will miss its shade.

Edit: the tree has one large trunk sized branch that goes under my power lines. The lights just started flickering in the house. Going to be an exciting day of they hit the hv distribution, transformed/wall voltage wires, fiber, and coaxial catv lines when that thing drops. (The top distribution wires are above the branch and unlikely to be touched, the rest is in the path.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 20, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tiny house guy says he’s in southern Ohio and it gets to negative twenty Fahrenheit at times.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Tiny house guy says he’s in southern Ohio and it gets to negative twenty Fahrenheit at times.
"at times" meaning once in his lifetime?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Isn't alot of the whole tiny house on those lovely RV frames/trailers just because most municipalities won't let you build houses under 800sqft anymore?

I really want to get a little land and put a cabin on it and it would only need to be about the size of one of those tiny houses but like I don't want it on wheels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stealie72 posted:

"at times" meaning once in his lifetime?

quote:

Southern Ohio. It'll drop to -20* a few times a winter usually. Summers around 85-90 with a few days in the 100s.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/dykvum/redditors_who_moved_into_a_tiny_house_during_the/f82v03t/?context=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I dont see -20 on there. :spergin:

But either way. Idiot needs to bury his shitpipe deeper.