Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
His power is “hell no” like it says in the intro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The hardest thing to understand in JoJo is people who think Joseph is the best JoJo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You don't have to understand the truth, merely accept it

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Part 4 Joseph is the best JoJo though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't know why you'd have an issue with people finding the explicitly comedy protagonist funny, but there you are.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive! posted:

Bullshit.

I'm right

Aurora posted:

gold reqiuem makes sense and his powers are consistent

Also correct

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

multijoe posted:

I don't know why you'd have an issue with people finding the explicitly comedy protagonist funny, but there you are.

They said "the best", not "the funniest".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Some people prefer funny to "badass" or whatever. Plus you have 3 different versions of funny Joseph.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh yeah definitely, I just don't know if we've seen rokakaka localized by Araki until now, have we? I'm also curious what the original japanese text for some of this reads, the line "locacaca? Is that the rokakaka?" would be real weird otherwise. Anyone know where one can find raw japanese scans?

There's no distinction between Rokakaka and Locacaca in the Japanese -- this is just the team trying to cover for having guessed the wrong spelling -- which is a huge peril when translating something weekly.

The original text is:
「ロカカカ」
今…「ロカカカ」?と言ったのか?
「ロカカカ」を知っているのか…⁉

Locacaca!
Did you just say... Locacaca?
You know about the Locacaca?!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Poco Locacaca.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

Poco Locacaca.

Now I understand your av and title text. Can I just say how much I love that little fluorish of his? Like he did a cute party trick and wants you to applaud.

*makes u disappear*
ta-daaaaaaah~*

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
jou~~~suke~~~ did you~~~ know about the locacacau~~~~~

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
just thoughts while I read the later chapters of part 7:

Gyro is TOO NASTY

sitting here muttering "yeah, get his rear end, GET HIS rear end" while gyro fights FV

yoooooooooooooo did gyro's ball just become a stand?! Has the spin been a stand ability this whole time?

welp arrivederci gyro. Figured that was coming, he's a Zeppeli :italy:

OH poo poo IT'S DIO AND HE'S GOT THE WORLD

HOLY poo poo

oh my god. I think one of my very favorite things araki's done this time around was introduce Dio way early on, give him a really cool new stand ability that still makes him scary as poo poo, but be like "he's a minor antagonist, don't worry about him for now, what's up with this president dude?"

Then kill him, so you're only focused on FV

Then after FV dies, there's a few chapters left, what could possibly be left?

IT'S DIO WITH THE FOLDING CHAIR ZA FUCKIN WORLDO

I look forward to watching the SBR anime with my kid when it's released 10 years from now

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 23, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

just thoughts while I read the later chapters of part 7:

yoooooooooooooo did gyro's ball just become a stand?! Has the spin been a stand ability this whole time?

the basic idea behind it is that someone who fully masters some sort of skill can have it manifest as a stand, because something something there's some sort of inherent energy behind that kind of thing and someone who is sufficiently advanced enough at something is basically using a stand power anyways. it's the same with tonio in part 4, or the feng shui dude in part 6 with dragon's dream. tonio's skill with cooking and overall health manifests as a literal ability to cure people's ailments by making good food and the pee-drinking old guy from part 6's power manifests directly as a literal representation of feng shui to the point where it's literally just a neutral force and doesn't explicitly help either party, it's just that the old guy knows how to best utilize it generally.

gyro's utilization of the horse's energy lets him unlock the infinite potential of nature and gravity with his spin, which is why it can actually start to affect valentine. the stand appearing is less the spin secretly being a stand power the entire time and more just the two being very similar wheelhouses and there being a lot of bleedover once you get to the highest points of it. it's more notable in gyro's case since he normally doesn't have stand abilities, but johnny's stand is linked to the growth of his mastery over the spin and we see it more directly grow up over time once he comes more to terms with himself.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I really love how Valentine's final bid (before Diego Part 2) is just talking and trying to convince Johnny to un-kill him. He is so full of poo poo but he was absolutely close to convincing Johnny to stop and that he was more "righteous" in his goals. It's just such a good moment.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

the basic idea behind it is that someone who fully masters some sort of skill can have it manifest as a stand, because something something there's some sort of inherent energy behind that kind of thing and someone who is sufficiently advanced enough at something is basically using a stand power anyways. it's the same with tonio in part 4, or the feng shui dude in part 6 with dragon's dream. tonio's skill with cooking and overall health manifests as a literal ability to cure people's ailments by making good food and the pee-drinking old guy from part 6's power manifests directly as a literal representation of feng shui to the point where it's literally just a neutral force and doesn't explicitly help either party, it's just that the old guy knows how to best utilize it generally.

gyro's utilization of the horse's energy lets him unlock the infinite potential of nature and gravity with his spin, which is why it can actually start to affect valentine. the stand appearing is less the spin secretly being a stand power the entire time and more just the two being very similar wheelhouses and there being a lot of bleedover once you get to the highest points of it. it's more notable in gyro's case since he normally doesn't have stand abilities, but johnny's stand is linked to the growth of his mastery over the spin and we see it more directly grow up over time once he comes more to terms with himself.

oh drat that's cool as hell, I loving love that angle on stands

also lmfaooooo wtf araki I'm seriously dying

BaDandy posted:

I really love how Valentine's final bid (before Diego Part 2) is just talking and trying to convince Johnny to un-kill him. He is so full of poo poo but he was absolutely close to convincing Johnny to stop and that he was more "righteous" in his goals. It's just such a good moment.
oh my god yes, that was incredible. He made me aaaaalmost want to buy it. He made me want to believe him (I guess that's why he's the president)

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I also thought it was nice that Johnny said that he wanted everyone to be brought back, like Mountain Tim, Wekapipo, even Sandman. I'm sure he would have wanted HP to be brought back, but he didn't know she died.

And then you notice that Diego isn't included in that bit at all. :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BaDandy posted:

I'm sure he would have wanted HP to be brought back, but he didn't know she died.

In the end I'm pretty sure no one realizes that Hot Pants died on that train, not even the audience.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Well, me and bf finished SBR. Since Son of Thunderbeast also finished it, I'm not going to put a giant wall of spoilers, since it's the manga thread, anyway.

I liked it! I will say, it's not my favorite part, and I've enjoyed it less than Stone Ocean (can we not do unfunny jokes about this, please?). Perhaps it has to do with hype, maybe with time period, or some darker scenes. I can't stand sexual assault in media, and some of Lucy's scenes were loving disturbing. Yeah, that's the point, but still.

Gyro is the best Jojo and what a shame about his fate. Dude was hilarious and amazing! Johhny was good, and felt like a more competent take on Giorno. Pretty serious dude who went through hell, but not an empty shell that barely appears in his part. I know some people like Giorno, but him and Diavolo were probably the weakest characters in Part 5. I will say, I don't buy his dad's change of heart. He just wants a popular son, and I can easily see him not caring for Johnny much after he didn't win.

Stand battles, I think, were a bit worse than previous parts overall. When the anime comes out (let's not kid ourselves, with how popular jojo is, it's not an "if"), I might change my mind though. Don't get me wrong, battles were good, but I suppose I'm used to them being more funny. There were some really memorable ones, though! The SOUNDMAN (the reveal of his name was hilarious), Scary Monsters, D4C and The World especially. Everything around the battles, though, was amazing! Character interactions, characters themselves, the race...

Diego was a bit meh. He was never in control of the situation and was just kind there. That Dio would never kick a dog. That said, Diego 2: the return of Dio loving RULED. My bf even liked him more than DIO! God, what a fight. I would gush about The World, too, but I was spoiled on that, unfortunately... While it wasn't as good of an arc as with Jotaro, it definitely made more sense. I'm perfectly fine with Jotaro having the same kind of stand, but having Johhny trailing him underground was much more clever. His defeat was also way more badass. Instead of a punch, but, like, really strong, his head just loving exploded!

Valentine as a villain was neat! I particularly enjoyed the fact that he just changed in one scene. I'm going to guess most people see his appearance change as him being from different dimension, but I'm pretty sure he went from a fat shortie to a muscular tall man in one scene. I've seen people here discuss that some readers actually agree with him, and it doesn't surprise me. He reminded me of Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising, whose views are also supported by some fans. Ultimately they talk about America, but nothing really beyond that. They contradict themselves, and hide their selfishness behind patroitism.
I really like Valentine's last speech because it perfectly showcased that he actually sucks. "I don't want power, I just want uhhhh power, but like for our country. gently caress those other ones, it's ok that we'll essentially curse them forever". The scene when he started speaking in emoji was one of this Part's highlights. "GUARANTEE OK"

This post is way too long, but I want to mention something else. I think that media could learn a lot about humor from Jojos. It's so natural, and feels like a breath of fresh air in gag-filled world. It never lingers on a joke, there are barely any actual punchlines and it never expects you to laugh at certain places. Something I hate about modern comedies is that they have such clearly defined jokes, that it almost becomes stale. They aren't vowen into the plot or dialogues naturally, they're just there. When they land, good. If they don't, it's just nonsensical cringy bullshit. With jojo, most of its gags that you can easily ignore. Like in The World's arc, Johhny and Dio get arrows pointed at them when the character is far away, but the arrows persist even when it's incredibly clear that yeah, it's a bigass Johnny on the panel. Another example is a bunch of those short clone guys who run around throughout the arc helping with the race.
Sure, there are actually comedic arcs, but even those don't feel so in your face. Hell, even in the Oingo Boingo part, the punchline is just spoiled for us, so that we could enjoy character interactions way more.
I think one of my favorites is Dio having a heart in his skull. Trying to find a picture of that once, I learned that a lot of people consider it to just be his amulet shown on x-ray. And sure, if you want to take that more seriously, more power to ya! If you want to concentrate on dramatic "adventure" and not "bizarre" part, you can do it. For me, though, Jojo is like the funniest comedy I've seen.

Anyway, while SBR is not my favorite, it was loving amazing, and I can't wait for Jojolion, because that one seems very weird.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 24, 2019

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

For all of my gripes with Part 7, once they get off that train it's amazing all the way to the end. If I HAD to nitpick really, REALLY hard I'd say that I just wish the High Voltage arc (aka DIO 2: DIO HARDER) was named Shoot to Thrill instead because I think the music and lyrics work way better.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm 90% sure it's because dirty deeds done dirt cheap also has high voltage in the lyrics

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
It's named after Electric Six' Danger High Voltage

GimmickMan posted:

For all of my gripes with Part 7, once they get off that train it's amazing all the way to the end.

Yeah, I wasn't really sold on a giant last battle at that point. Thank god Araki proved me wrong.
Also it's really cool to see that he just loves drawing weird poo poo. Previous parts didn't really have this amount of body horror, iirc. Here we have flesh spewing, bodymorphing, cube-snatching, layer rotating... I feel like in previous parts violence was more realistic, with faces cut off and chest holes, and here he just said "gently caress it, I want to draw some hosed up bodies"

Edit: oh, also the irony of Dio with exploded head but fairly intact body is pretty nice, considering that in Part 1 he lost everything but his head.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Vookatos posted:

It's named after Electric Six' Danger High Voltage

there's also an ac/dc song called high voltage

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's the album before ddddc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

acdc presents ddddc on hddvd

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wonder if we’ll ever find out just what D4C stands for....

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I wonder if we’ll ever find out just what D4C stands for....

It's a recursive acronym with the D standing for D4C

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Devious Dude Delightfully Desecrating Christ

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

hatty posted:

Devious Dude Delightfully Desecrating Christ

Someone please contact whoever localizes the anime and tell them to use this because there's no way in any parallel universe that the localization tops it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

sorry, but filthy acts at a reasonable price is already perfect

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Aurora posted:

sorry, but filthy acts at a reasonable price is already perfect

e: plus it shortens to either FARP or FA3RP

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

One of my favorite moments in SBR was when we reached the Who Shot Johnny chapters and they were titled "D4C" and the whole time I was thinking "D4C? What the heck is D4C? I really want to know what D4C stands for" and then when Valientine popped out and said "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" I just about lost it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So these got suggested to me and they're dope, the ED especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wAq8QetOUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b32i4Pxkl28

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Dimes for Crimes

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i am really glad valentine was just gradually redesigned to not be a little goblin monster

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

tbp posted:

i am really glad valentine was just gradually redesigned to not be a little goblin monster

And by gradually you mean 'literally one scene where he gets really horny'

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Didn't Valentine's change occur when an alternate him came into the primary timeline, or am I just remembering wrong?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

Didn't Valentine's change occur when an alternate him came into the primary timeline, or am I just remembering wrong?

No, you're remembering correctly. He disappeared and out came someone much more fit and athletic and not so frumpy and round.

What I am curious about is if all those people near him with similar hair in the early parts of SBR were just other universe versions of himself he was hanging out with or if they were just copying his hairstyle :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FirstAidKite posted:

No, you're remembering correctly. He disappeared and out came someone much more fit and athletic and not so frumpy and round.

What I am curious about is if all those people near him with similar hair in the early parts of SBR were just other universe versions of himself he was hanging out with or if they were just copying his hairstyle :v:

Those guys were around in the later parts too. They died by getting shot and impaling an eye on a doorknob. One of them constantly talked about Winter Catfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MonsterEnvy posted:

Those guys were around in the later parts too. They died by getting shot and impaling an eye on a doorknob. One of them constantly talked about Winter Catfish.

by the fourth or fifth time he said it I was laughing out loud