Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. For some reason I thought we were talking about a limit on what could be healed from with blood. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aki has the same expression as when I do when I slap the dog to get off the couch

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
binged from chapter 17 or so to current in a bought of insomnia, and jesus christ this just shot up to the top of my list. there is no fat on this narrative at all, it's all meat. both of Reze's designs rule, her recreating Scanners on herself rules, Power being even dumber than Denji rules. can't wait to see where this could possibly end up. i usually don't even follow currently running series, been burned way too many times, but congrats Chainsawman you earned it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What's Power the devil of again? Was it the Blood Devil?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think so, yeah. She makes weapons out of her blood, and can use jars of it to lay traps, but it seems it has to be her blood. Something in me recalls them calling her 'A blood devil' rather than 'the' so if thats not a mistake, her purview may only be certain types of blood or bleeding.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

What's Power the devil of again? Was it the Blood Devil?

I think she's a devil in a human corpse.
She can control all blood, but her own blood is significantly easier.
When the Katana devil first attacked she protested to helping one of the victims because it was to taxing for her to control someone else's blood.

She also has a huge brain with the highest iq ever

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Elfface posted:

I think so, yeah. She makes weapons out of her blood, and can use jars of it to lay traps, but it seems it has to be her blood. Something in me recalls them calling her 'A blood devil' rather than 'the' so if thats not a mistake, her purview may only be certain types of blood or bleeding.

Beware the Menstrual Blood Devil.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

When the Katana devil first attacked she protested to helping one of the victims because it was to taxing for her to control someone else's blood.

I might've mentioned this before but man, can you imagine dying and having Power of all people running around in your corpse?

Truly there are worse fates than death.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darth TNT posted:

From what the manga has said all devilmen are devils in human corpses. Violence, Shark, Angel(this one might not be a devilman), and Power are the main ones we’ve seen.

Denji, the katana guy, and possibly Reze are different in that while at least some part of them is devil they retain their human selves.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
the series hasn't done a great job explaining the distinctions between someone like Denji vs someone like Power or Beam. it seems like if you have a "form" you can turn on you're one thing, and if you have some kind of always there physical characteristic like the horns or sharkface, you're another. i guess Denji and Pochita were both corpses when their thing happened, compared to Pochita stealing Denji's body.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ye power is a fiend which is a devil that takes over a corpse not whatever Denji the Sword guy and Reze are. Fiends have horns etc. so that's why I think Reze isn't one passing for human. Aki said they have weird shaped heads and the two we've seen are power with her horns and the dude with bug mandibles. Power was a blood devil rather than the as people said

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

the series hasn't done a great job explaining the distinctions between someone like Denji vs someone like Power or Beam. it seems like if you have a "form" you can turn on you're one thing, and if you have some kind of always there physical characteristic like the horns or sharkface, you're another. i guess Denji and Pochita were both corpses when their thing happened, compared to Pochita stealing Denji's body.

the primary difference is that denji is still his human self and power is a devil in a human body so has none of the original human in her. it also sounds like they are a distinct thing from being a devil anymore so imagine we;ll get more differentiation

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

the primary difference is that denji is still his human self and power is a devil in a human body so has none of the original human in her. it also sounds like they are a distinct thing from being a devil anymore so imagine we;ll get more differentiation

Yeah. Denji's a human with a devil's heart, while Power is a devil in a human corpse. Symbiosis vs parasitism and all that.

So far, it seems like Devil human hybrids are as strong as or stronger than their initial forms, while Fiends are weaker.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. Denji's a human with a devil's heart, while Power is a devil in a human corpse. Symbiosis vs parasitism and all that.

So far, it seems like Devil human hybrids are as strong as or stronger than their initial forms, while Fiends are weaker.

yeds that is my reading of it too. Though on the latter I will have to reread and if we get an explanation of how it happens. If e did I can't recall and if we did not it's definitely curious why the devil does it or how it happens to them unwillingly

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

Devil: A devil manifested from the collective unconscious fear of whatever. They make contracts with humans, unlike the other two, generally in exchange for getting fed in human blood/suffering one way or another. The Gun Devil is pretty strong because people are afraid of guns. The Tomato Devil is a piece of poo poo because only stand-up comedians are afraid of them.

Fiend (VIZ)/Devilman (MS): A devil who, either due to necessity or personal reasons, crawled into a human's corpse. Weaker than a full-bodied Devil. Power, Beam, etc are this. The Violence Fiend is way too strong despite just being a Fiend, because people are afraid of being beaten, so he gets a plague doctor's mask to poison him and keep him in check.

Hybrids: So far it's just Chainsaw, Katana and Bomb, and we only know Denji's story so who knows how the other two got their devil-halves. Seems like it's just combining a human and a devil, without the devil taking over. Also, they all have some devil trigger, like Denji's ripcord, Katana's hand trick and Bomb's pin.

All of them can drink blood to regenerate, but Devils and Fiends won't come back from being killed. So far, both Denji and Katana have come back from EXTREMELY obvious death scenarios through regeneration after their devil triggers activate, so long as they've got enough blood left to regenerate with. Kishibe even says something along the lines of "I've finally got an unbreakable toy" about Denji.

Hopefully that clears things up?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The scans really went with "Devil" and "Devilman?"

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The scans really went with "Devil" and "Devilman?"

To be fair "Fiend" and "Devil" are synonymous too. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

yeds that is my reading of it too. Though on the latter I will have to reread and if we get an explanation of how it happens. If e did I can't recall and if we did not it's definitely curious why the devil does it or how it happens to them unwillingly

idk if fiends are actually weaker or if they're not allowed to power up. iirc someone said she got stronger when her horns grew and she had to get rid of them. or something like that

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Phimose Knight posted:

Hopefully that clears things up?

good post! i didn't mean i didn't understand it at all, just that it's been pretty vague about the hybrids and why exactly they can get away with being what they are. like, lots of people are pretty worried about chainsaws, but Pochita wasn't exactly a force of nature, until they fuse. i don't mind anyways, i'm not reading this for generic shonen power-tier BS and most series that lean too hard into that are either boring or full of constant rear end-pulls as to why the protagonist can win. Denji gets to win because he's too dim and stubborn not to, and he's (basically) a good boy

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Phimose Knight posted:

To be fair "Fiend" and "Devil" are synonymous too. :v:
Oh absolutely, but there's a difference between synonyms and one word containing the other while also sounding very silly.

There's something to be said for maintaining the words used in the original if they're already in English but-

I paused here to check what Devils and Fiends are in Japanese because I realized I'd only been assuming they were devils and devilman based on scans usually doing dumb stuff but nope, they're akuma and majin. Which means someone chose Devilman as the best way to translate that and differentiate the two. Impressive.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh absolutely, but there's a difference between synonyms and one word containing the other while also sounding very silly.

There's something to be said for maintaining the words used in the original if they're already in English but-

I paused here to check what Devils and Fiends are in Japanese because I realized I'd only been assuming they were devils and devilman based on scans usually doing dumb stuff but nope, they're akuma and majin. Which means someone chose Devilman as the best way to translate that and differentiate the two. Impressive.

"Devilman", because it's a devil inside a human! :v: They didn't really think very far ahead though. They didn't consider how that might be confusing, with Denji being a man with a devil for a heart, gently caress he'll probably end up called a devilheart at some point.

Million Ghosts posted:

good post! i didn't mean i didn't understand it at all, just that it's been pretty vague about the hybrids and why exactly they can get away with being what they are. like, lots of people are pretty worried about chainsaws, but Pochita wasn't exactly a force of nature, until they fuse. i don't mind anyways, i'm not reading this for generic shonen power-tier BS and most series that lean too hard into that are either boring or full of constant rear end-pulls as to why the protagonist can win. Denji gets to win because he's too dim and stubborn not to, and he's (basically) a good boy

My theory with Pochita is that, because Denji finds it riddled with (possibly bullet) holes when he offers the blood contract, the dog form was somehow its energy saving mode. I get the feeling that the door Denji sees in his dream-- which Pochita warns him against opening-- is where Pochita's real form is located (and where Denji will pull out his token overpowered berserk mode from).

You are right though, this isn't really a manga for power level wanking. I mean this is a manga where a Katana Shadman goes around teleporting and cleaving people in two with no sort of effort or cooldown, and he still loses because he didn't foresee the chainsaw kick.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
gently caress yeah! Go claim that Nobel prize Denji!

I'm in tears here.

Chainsaw on a shark vs bomb typhoon!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Other Characters: Do a Spider Man, Denji

Denji: Shut up you idiots. You absolute morons.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Why is typhoon devil a cancer baby

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Other Characters: Do a Spider Man, Denji

Denji: Shut up you idiots. You absolute morons.

Most dumbass shonen jump heroes will, when the going gets tough, come up with a brilliant plan out of their asses and shock their opponents with their clever plan.

Denji is one step ahead, responding to high risk situations by doing something even stupider than his usual.

さすが, デンジ.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 29, 2019

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
I'm glad we had a moment of levity after a bunch of horror chapters.

Why IS Typhoon a cancer baby? I mean aside from "that's spooky, humans hate spooky". I guess same reason Eternity/Infinity is a cancer baby too.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This manga really is just the best.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Jumping the shark in the best possible way.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Elfface posted:

Hmm, other things a chainsaw could do... Maybe he could snap the chain and have it launch at an opponent,

Hah! Called i-

Well. How 'bout that.

Hyped for Bombnado versus Chainshark.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PringleCreamEgg posted:

This manga really is just the best.

THIS MANGA!
IS!
BEST!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I was not ready for that galaxy brain level take on how chainsaw powers work.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

THIS MANGA!
IS!
BEST!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I want a statue of this so freaking bad.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Denji is gloriously stupid and I love him.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chainsawman ftw.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Considering Fujimoto loves movies, I'm expecting Denji to try and do a "wire booby trap decapitation" with his chains soon.

Also

Pewdiepie posted:

Chainsawman ftw.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. So Typhoon is a giant baby with the top of its head cut off and whose spinning brain forms the tornado around it. That's...unique.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This manga is so rad

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I love the split evolution of protagonists that's happened in modern shonen. On the one hand you have characters like Midoriya from MHA, whose biggest strengths are actually being smart, thinking quickly, and being extremely observant.

Then you have Denji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Galaxy brain Denji, right here.